PDA

View Full Version : Monster's Weapons?

Foxhound438
2016-03-25, 06:35 PM
Several monsters in the MM have "special weapons" that deal extra damage. I haven't counted them all out, but some just say in the attack's damage (ie drow priestess's scourge attack, or a bearded devil's glaive attack), while others say to add the damage to each attack and mention that it's included in the attack in one of it's features before the actions section (such as a deva or erinyes).

From a strict interpretation of the rules, the weapon would still do extra damage if it's such as the first case, since the weapon's extra damage is attached to the weapon, instead of the creature holding it.

This can be fairly problematic in play, for when one character deals 6d6 total damage per attack at level 5 (my character currently), it really overshadows other characters.

The question becomes, how do you deal with this? do you say the weapon loses its properties (even though that's directly against the rules)? do you let them run wild with it? what else would you suggest?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-25, 06:49 PM
I'd say just explain that it's a special technique the villains know that you don't. Don't worry about what says where in the monster entry. If the PCs want to learn, perhaps a feat is a fair cost.

Lord Il Palazzo
2016-03-25, 06:50 PM
If the creature is a different size than the players (like a large Minotaur with its 2d12 greataxe) I would probably tell my players that that they can use it, but have disadvantage on all attack rolls (mirroring a small creature using a heavy weapon).

For things like the Deva, it has an ability that adds extra damage to its weapon attacks so it would make sense for the weapon not to have that extra damage when a creature without that ability wields it. If you want to let the players keep the weapon and its magic, you could put a limit on the weapon's extra damage. Maybe they can use devil's glaive, but because they aren't devils, they can only have it deal its extra damage once per short (or long, if you prefer) rest.

For another option, for very obviously magical creatures (like celestials, elementals and fiends) I would probably say that their weapons are magically bonded to them; an angel's sword is forged of metal from the upper planes and cannot exist on the material plane for long without its wielder's magic to sustain it.

RickAllison
2016-03-25, 06:56 PM
If the creature is a different size than the players (like a large Minotaur with its 2d12 greataxe) I would probably tell my players that that they can use it, but have disadvantage on all attack rolls (mirroring a small creature using a heavy weapon).

No need to rule that, it's in the books.

Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that
deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon
dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's
Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan.
For example, a Huge giant wielding an appropriately
sized greataxe deals 3dl2 slashing damage (plus its
Strength bonus), instead of the normalldl2.
A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a
weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule
that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes
larger is too big for the creature to use at all.

So according to that, any regular person can wield a Large weapon with disadvantage. Someone who was Enlarged, while their weapons only get the extra 1d4, could grab a Huge creature's weapons and wield those with disadvantage.

Foxhound438
2016-03-25, 07:27 PM
For things like the Deva, it has an ability that adds extra damage to its weapon attacks so it would make sense for the weapon not to have that extra damage when a creature without that ability wields it. If you want to let the players keep the weapon and its magic, you could put a limit on the weapon's extra damage. Maybe they can use devil's glaive, but because they aren't devils, they can only have it deal its extra damage once per short (or long, if you prefer) rest.

the issue is when the creature doesn't have such a feature, and the extra damage is only mentioned in the weapon's attack. the weapon itself then has the property of rider effects, not something the wielder does with it.

Reaper34
2016-03-25, 11:32 PM
the construction of the weapon is such that it is non standard. exotic weapon. you arn't proficient, and get disatvantage on using it because of it's construction. like murcury in the hollow bladed sword makes the balance screwy or the glave head is magnetic with the gravity of the plane. special metal from plane x. blade up it gets light easy to lift. blade down hits with extra power. player can't use it without a feat to get used to the different style the weapon needs for proper use. that would be my ruling anyway.

RickAllison
2016-03-25, 11:34 PM
the construction of the weapon is such that it is non standard. exotic weapon. you arn't proficient, and get disatvantage on using it because of it's construction. like murcury in the hollow bladed sword makes the balance screwy or the glave head is magnetic with the gravity of the plane. special metal from plane x. blade up it gets light easy to lift. blade down hits with extra power. player can't use it without a feat to get used to the different style the weapon needs for proper use. that would be my ruling anyway.

And so conveniently, they have a fear for weapon proficiency that nobody uses!! Bonus points :smallsmile:

SharkForce
2016-03-26, 12:18 AM
And so conveniently, they have a fear for weapon proficiency that nobody uses!! Bonus points :smallsmile:

iirc, that feat has been explicitly ruled (by tweet, so YMMV) to not grant proficiency in monster weapons.

RickAllison
2016-03-26, 12:50 AM
iirc, that feat has been explicitly ruled (by tweet, so YMMV) to not grant proficiency in monster weapons.

Citation? I haven't heard anything about that.

Foxhound438
2016-03-26, 02:26 AM
Citation? I haven't heard anything about that.

PHB errata, feats: Weapon Master: the chosen weapons must be simple or martial.

JackPhoenix
2016-03-26, 04:15 PM
the issue is when the creature doesn't have such a feature, and the extra damage is only mentioned in the weapon's attack. the weapon itself then has the property of rider effects, not something the wielder does with it.

The weapon doesn't exist outside the creature's stat block, so the extra effect may originate from the creature without the need to say so twice.

Ruling that "The bearded devil causes infernal wounds with its glaive" is just as valid as "The bearded devil uses glaive that causes infernal wounds". It's up to the DM to decide which interpretation to use, if he fears the players will get their hands on overpowered weapons. Even MM in SA says he would rule on case to case basis: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/22/emulate-monster-weapon/