PDA

View Full Version : Building a RAW-legal rouge.

Starkeeper
2016-03-25, 06:38 PM
There's three options that seem reasonable to me right now:

-Awaken on (crushed)plant matter, first choice since it's simple and you can more easily control the size so a Small Rouge would only have 1 RHD, Animated Objects don't need limbs to move either.
-Small Earth Elemental summoned with talcum as its base component, kill it, use Fabricate to refine it and then use Revive Outsider, complicated but on the plus side, the level loss brings it down to 1 RHD too. Can't revive Elementals that way, Limited Wish then?
-Awaken Sand on artificially created talcum-sand, little harder to handle size, an Arcane Disciple Archmage with Mastery of Shaping could help but 5 feet is the smallest area, DM might adjudicate that as Medium-sized, meaning two RHDs.

I'm trying to setup my foundation first before I start applying anything else, maybe go for some Cha-based class or just a rouge Rogue, feel free to suggest anything.

Shnigda
2016-03-25, 06:51 PM
Personally I find the best rouges are powder based. I'd say they give +2 charisma... (but that last bit would have to be house ruled, so not RAW-legal) :P

Jack_Simth
2016-03-25, 07:20 PM
First, a few questions:
1) Are you trying this as a player, or as a DM?
2) Are you playing 3.X, Pathfinder, or something else?
3) What are your build resources (level, wealth, et cetera)?
4) What are you planning on accomplishing this way?

Starkeeper
2016-03-25, 07:30 PM
First, a few questions:
1) Are you trying this as a player, or as a DM?
2) Are you playing 3.X, Pathfinder, or something else?
3) What are your build resources (level, wealth, et cetera)?
4) What are you planning on accomplishing this way?

1) Player, which is why I'm so adamant about the RAW legality.
2) 3.5, should've mentioned that, my bad.
3) Uncertain, potentially level 13 with standard WBL, feel free to chart out 20 levels with WBL assumptions.
4) Mostly for the entertainment value of playing an actual rouge, I quite enjoy having quirky, a decent amount of power would probably be necessary too due to my games' difficulties.

Troacctid
2016-03-25, 07:40 PM
Use the Psionic Sandwich trick.

1. Get rouge.
2. Polymorph Any Object the rouge into a human.
3. True Mind Switch (or Astral Seed + Mind Switch + kill your old body) to swap bodies with the rouge.
4. Polymorph wears off, you are now a rouge psion.

MisterKaws
2016-03-25, 08:03 PM
1) Player, which is why I'm so adamant about the RAW legality.
2) 3.5, should've mentioned that, my bad.
3) Uncertain, potentially level 13 with standard WBL, feel free to chart out 20 levels with WBL assumptions.
4) Mostly for the entertainment value of playing an actual rouge, I quite enjoy having quirky, a decent amount of power would probably be necessary too due to my games' difficulties.

In this case, unless by DM fiat, it's completely illegal to try and do so, since all of those have LA --, which means they're not supposed to be used as PCs.

Tiri
2016-03-25, 08:28 PM
-Small Earth Elemental summoned with talcum as its base component, kill it, use Fabricate to refine it and then use Revive Outsider, complicated but on the plus side, the level loss brings it down to 1 RHD too.

If I'm not mistaken, Revive Outsider only works on Outsiders.

Starkeeper
2016-03-25, 08:37 PM
Use the Psionic Sandwich trick.

1. Get rouge.
2. Polymorph Any Object the rouge into a human.
3. True Mind Switch (or Astral Seed + Mind Switch + kill your old body) to swap bodies with the rouge.
4. Polymorph wears off, you are now a rouge psion.

I've considered this before, but there's a few issues I can't work with:

-Very high level requirement due to needing 8th-9th level Powers.
-Forces me to be a Psion, unless we go to a higher level of cheese I don't think my DM would allow.
-The rouge is still an inanimate object after the Polymorph.

In this case, unless by DM fiat, it's completely illegal to try and do so, since all of those have LA --, which means they're not supposed to be used as PCs.

I'm aware, but that will not be an issue if I can justify the legality of the rest.

If I'm not mistaken, Revive Outsider only works on Outsiders.

Curses, I kept thinking of all planar denizens as Outsiders and completely overlooked this, thank you for pointing it out.

dextercorvia
2016-03-25, 10:00 PM
Incarnate Construct, Dustform, Young Redcap?

Gildedragon
2016-03-25, 10:04 PM
Jewler's Rouge is Iron Oxide.
Get an iron golem, or similar iron-based construct and rust them up, or make a construct out of rust (rust golem, rusty animated object, rusty animated suit of armor)

Animate Object + Permanency + Awaken Construct on a compact of makeup

Awakened swarm of cochineal beetles

An undead puddle of carmine (cochineal beetle paste)

Troacctid
2016-03-25, 11:45 PM
I've considered this before, but there's a few issues I can't work with:

-Very high level requirement due to needing 8th-9th level Powers.
-Forces me to be a Psion, unless we go to a higher level of cheese I don't think my DM would allow.
-The rouge is still an inanimate object after the Polymorph.

1. You can do it at lower levels by buying scrolls and power stones.
2. Psion is a great class! Everyone loves psionics. Nothing wrong with being a psion!
3. Yes, but you retain your mental ability scores and you still have full use of your powers. Thanks to synesthete and its long duration, you can see and hear normally without the need for eyes and ears, and with telepathy, you can communicate normally without the need for a mouth. You may look like an inanimate rouge, but in reality, you are just as dangerous as any ordinary psion.

Telonius
2016-03-26, 07:54 AM
Tiefling, take anything with a good Will save for 6 levels. Take the "Ritual of Alignment" from Savage Species. (This may be a problem, since it is kind of pricey). Then, take Fiend of Possession 6.

The fifth level ability:

At 5th level, a fiend of possession can use its possess object ability to take control of an "object" more loosely defined: a pool of water, a cloud of dust, or a section of wall or floor. At this level, a fiend of possession can also possess (and animate) Colossal objects.

That's similar enough to cosmetics for it to work. So go nuts; infiltrate the modeling industry, go all Zoolander.

Ruethgar
2016-03-26, 03:08 PM

Actually, there is a Dragon article that gives them ECL. 5 for a Tiny Animated Object, 6 for Small, 7 for a Small Earth Elemental. There is also the Elemental Familiar spell which changes the target into a tiny one of the original 4 elementals. They have no listed LA however so it would be up to the DM how that would work.

Khedrac
2016-03-26, 04:42 PM
Actually, there is a Dragon article that gives them ECL. 5 for a Tiny Animated Object, 6 for Small, 7 for a Small Earth Elemental. There is also the Elemental Familiar spell which changes the target into a tiny one of the original 4 elementals. They have no listed LA however so it would be up to the DM how that would work.
Only in Pathfinder. In 3.5 by RAW creatures without a listed LA cannot be played by players. Giving them a CR in no way changes that.
Giving them an ECL is actually meaningless because ECLs depend on numbers and circumstances.

noob
2016-03-26, 04:50 PM
If you have an hard time finding something rouge you can use prestidigitation to color any object in rouge(thus any colorant can be rouge and so on).

Florian
2016-03-26, 04:51 PM
Personally I find the best rouges are powder based. I'd say they give +2 charisma... (but that last bit would have to be house ruled, so not RAW-legal) :P

One easily overlooked rules for diplomacy is that when interaction with nobility and you donīt look the part, you gain a -2 to the check. Applying rouge should give +2, so is rules legal then :D

Ruethgar
2016-03-26, 06:00 PM
Only in Pathfinder. In 3.5 by RAW creatures without a listed LA cannot be played by players. Giving them a CR in no way changes that.
Giving them an ECL is actually meaningless because ECLs depend on numbers and circumstances.

Meaningless, except that is specifically makes them playable. It is a horrible adjustment when a Warforged would be better in almost every way, but still playable.

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-28, 01:59 AM
3. Yes, but you retain your mental ability scores and you still have full use of your powers. Thanks to synesthete and its long duration, you can see and hear normally without the need for eyes and ears, and with telepathy, you can communicate normally without the need for a mouth. You may look like an inanimate rouge, but in reality, you are just as dangerous as any ordinary psion.

You can also have someone else apply you to your psicrystal for easy mobility, and the telepathic link would let the psicrystal act as a sort of seeing-eye dog.