PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about the Sizing enchantment

Niro
2016-03-25, 06:42 PM
so.. I am playing as a monk and have discovered the enchant Sizing and want to combine it with my staff.
I am a bit confused though. Because when I read it, it seems that I am able to change the size of my staff (with no limit) which would be amazing but also easily broken.
Or is it more something akin to "change to gargantuan size and get a -1000 to hit" or something like that?

basically I just want to know what sort of limitations this enchant has

MisterKaws
2016-03-25, 07:54 PM
It just changes the weapon, in all effects, to any size you want, so yes, you are going to get heavily penalized if you try to wield a gargantuan weapon, as normal.

Niro
2016-03-25, 08:17 PM
Hmm so my dreams of becoming the monkey king with a huge staff will have to wait until I have either a truckload of +hit or strength.

Thanks for the quick answer ^^

Tiri
2016-03-25, 08:39 PM
You also can't wield a Gargantuan weapon at all if you are medium.

OldTrees1
2016-03-25, 08:44 PM
Hmm so my dreams of becoming the monkey king with a huge staff will have to wait until I have either a truckload of +hit or strength.

Thanks for the quick answer ^^

Increased weapon size will not increase weapon reach(the thing the Monkey King was known for). Instead of increasing weapon size, increase your melee reach.

Awl Pikes (Dungeon Compendium 1) are polearms that have a 15ft reach. (refluff to bludgeoning damage)
The Short Haft feat allows you to attack adjacent enemies with your polearm.
The Extend Reach 2nd level psionic power adds +5ft reach to both the normal reach and the short haft reach.

Result: A Quarterstaff that can hit anyone within 20ft. (all without touching your size)

Gildedragon
2016-03-25, 08:59 PM
You could keep the sizing enhancement for utility purposes. An item that can act as a bridge, tent pole, ladder, and cane as you see fit is pretty valuable.

Oldtrees' sugestion is probably the best... though it lacks the double weapon aspect of a quarterstaff (maybe a plus to you).

ben-zayb
2016-03-26, 08:34 AM
As mentioned, increased weapon size won't increase your reach, but can still be used for every other non-combat function that relies a really big structure. Colossal has no upper bounds in terms of size, so you could turn your sizing weapon as big as a mountain, an entire continent, or an entire planet. Might work well with the Dancing or Flying enchancement

Âmesang
2016-03-26, 10:30 AM
That gets me thinking… if you size a quarterstaff up to Colossal proportions could you just… roll it at your enemies like a giant tree log? Does sizing affect a weapon's weight?

That also gets me thinking that "Blammo" might be an oddly appropriate name for a (possibly gnome) wizard.

Gildedragon
2016-03-26, 10:46 AM
I would reckon it does: increased weight is explicitly part of the properties of large and larger weapons

MisterKaws
2016-03-26, 11:06 AM
That gets me thinking… if you size a quarterstaff up to Colossal proportions could you just… roll it at your enemies like a giant tree log? Does sizing affect a weapon's weight?

That also gets me thinking that "Blammo" might be an oddly appropriate name for a (possibly gnome) wizard.

Yes, if you have the strength to do it, it's a fun thing to try.

Janthkin
2016-03-26, 11:16 AM
Increased weapon size will not increase weapon reach(the thing the Monkey King was known for). Instead of increasing weapon size, increase your melee reach.

Awl Pikes (Dungeon Compendium 1) are polearms that have a 15ft reach. (refluff to bludgeoning damage)
The Short Haft feat allows you to attack adjacent enemies with your polearm.
The Extend Reach 2nd level psionic power adds +5ft reach to both the normal reach and the short haft reach.

Result: A Quarterstaff that can hit anyone within 20ft. (all without touching your size)
There are also the Greatreach Bracers in the MIC; it's charges/day, but handy when you need the extra reach.