PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to obtain dragons?

PelicanOfDeath
2016-03-25, 08:44 PM
Houserules: any feats from anywhere in 3, 3.5, or PF are valid. We use the PF skill system. Any classes from any of those are also acceptable.

I'm trying to make a character for a 20-level campaign. One of my previous characters managed to get divine rank 0, so I made him the diety of creation, dragons, and law. Creation gives Animate Objects at level 5.

My goal is to make a character that gets a hoard of dragons to follow him around.

After a failed attempt to kill Tiamat, Tormin (my char with divine ranks) decided to drain her divine ranks by sending a paladin to kill or convert her followers.

My levels go: Dragonrider 1 (Rogue Genius Games), Dragon Knight Paladin of Tormin 5, Wizard (PF) 1, Sorcerer (3.5) 1, Chronomancer (3.5) 5, and Cleric of Tormin 5. I have 3 empty levels.

I am a Dayborn Dhampir with the Feats: Natural Charmer, Draconic Aura, Dragon Familiar, Craft Wondrous Item, Dragonfriend, 1 unknown feat, and Leadership.

My traits are Scaly Ally and Beacon of Faith.

I put my ranks in Handle Animal, Diplomacy, and Craft (Wondrous Item).

I get the Draconic Bond from the Rider, the Dragon Mount from the Pally, 6 wyrmling familiars from the wiz, sorc, and chronomancer (1 from class features, 1 from find familiar), and I get a dragon cohort from leadership at level 13. 9 dragons so far. I can animate stone into a dragon permanantly for 3k gold each (think figurine of wondrous power, but permanant)(12k fro the effect, halved because it's an effect made permanant that already lasted more than 24 hours, halved again because I'm the one making it).

I need to kill chromatic dragons and either diplomatize or kill metallic ones. There is a spell called Bliss from the Chronomancer that lets you put to sleep any creature for up to one hour until they are damaged or attacked. During that time they are forced to relive a memory of your choosing. It is unaffected by spell resistance. So I can k.o. a dragon of my choice 1/day for one hour while I rob them blind. Any eggs I can steal, but I still need to kill any wyrmlings I don't hatch myself.

Now my problem. I have 3 empty levels, 1 empty feat, and no idea how to deal with metallic dragons without murder, nor do I have any way to deal with dragons once they wake up. How can I fix that?

EDIT: Spelling and class clarification.

Malimar
2016-03-25, 09:24 PM
There is a spell called Bliss from the Chronomancer that lets you put to sleep any creature for up to one hour until they are damaged or attacked. During that time they are forced to relive a memory of your choosing. It is unaffected by spell resistance. So I can k.o. a dragon of my choice 1/day for one hour while I rob them blind.

Do you (or the spell) have a way to overcome dragons' immunity to magic sleep effects?

Endarire
2016-03-25, 09:40 PM
What about being a caster and using gate and greater planar binding to obtain extraplanar dragons?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 09:45 PM
3.5 dragons have level adjustments. Just use your Leadership feat to pull them in as cohorts and followers.

There's also the Draconic Cohort feat, and Obtain Familiar + Improved Familiar for a fairy dragon.

Ganorenas
2016-03-25, 09:48 PM
Draconomicon pages 10-11 describe dragon eggs of the 10 usual types available, valuable information to have for eggs you have liberated/stolen.

Page 138 describes bribing/diplomacy for the dragons you desire a chat with.

You seem to have the feats that I thought of covered.

mabriss lethe
2016-03-25, 10:12 PM
The four elemental cleric domains in 3.5 allow you to rebuke dragons of the appropriate subtype.

Tiri
2016-03-26, 12:29 AM
What is Chronomancer? I've never heard of it.

PelicanOfDeath
2016-03-26, 02:17 AM
Alright. I screwed up because the bliss is blocked by the sleep immunity. So I need an alternative for that. On the plus side, I now have 4 more empty levels from the chronomancer.

Gate is too high-level. Planar Binding would work, but how could I convince a nehachismic dragon to not murder me afterwards? I know I can't beat it with diplomacy, even with my massive bonus. And even if I threaten it woth a draconic diety, Tormin is weak enough that I don't think it'll continue obeying.

My leadership bonus needs to be at least 11 to get dragons. ECL is CR+8. I could only attract 1, even starting with 23. The Dragon Cohort is solid, and I might have to use it.

I'll need to check the Draconomicon later about stealing the eggs. Out of town at the moment. Thanks for the page number!

I might have to chack out that elemental rebuking thing. That's pretty cool.

The Chronomancer comes from a 3.5 splatbook named Chronomancy. All its spells are in there. Pretty sure it's on the wizard's site somewhere.

Thanks for all the help! I think I'll go for the Dragon Cohort with the extra 4 levels put into sorcerer because I think my spellbook will burn within 30 seconds of getting into a dragon fight. I'll probably pick up the Earthbind and Cloak of Bravery spells as anti-dragon weapons. Once again, three more levels.

Gildedragon
2016-03-26, 03:24 AM
Orbs of Dragonkind might be useful for you

Gun for high diplomacy. Binder 1 to get Naberius to talk quick and fast and sans penalty, allowing you to orate to as many dragons as possible and convert them to your side

---
Regarding offing dragons:
Jaunt into Krynn for a dragonlance to mess chromatic dragons up; get a custom greater dragonlance made that isn't a lance but something with a high crit range, and since a Greater Dragonlance does your level in Con Drain to a dragon on a crit, well... a crit will prolly dispatch them.

Re. Chromatic Dragons: you needn't kill them, you can redeem them as per BoED. And that's a nastier blow for Tiamat, as you are turning her children against her.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-26, 08:16 AM
Use Diplomacy to make dragons you encounter friendly. Use Lucid Dreaming to do it from across the world while you sleep. Convince them to turn away from Tiamat, that Friendship is Magic™, and that there are things far more valuable than sleeping in seclusion for decades on a big pile of gold.

Also, use Leadership to pull in a bunch of Dragonwrought kobolds with bard, sorcerer, or wizard optimization (see: white dragonspawn loredrake-type shenanigans) who have alter self as a spell known to turn into whatever wyrmling dragon you want at any given time.

Aleolus
2016-03-26, 11:13 AM
Orbs of Dragonkind might be useful for you

Gun for high diplomacy. Binder 1 to get Naberius to talk quick and fast and sans penalty, allowing you to orate to as many dragons as possible and convert them to your side

---
Regarding offing dragons:
Jaunt into Krynn for a dragonlance to mess chromatic dragons up; get a custom greater dragonlance made that isn't a lance but something with a high crit range, and since a Greater Dragonlance does your level in Con Drain to a dragon on a crit, well... a crit will prolly dispatch them.

Re. Chromatic Dragons: you needn't kill them, you can redeem them as per BoED. And that's a nastier blow for Tiamat, as you are turning her children against her.

This. Though be careful if you go fpr the Orbs, because according to the fluff on them anyone who uses them (or even simply possesses them) becomes marked as an enemy of all dragonkind and they will try to murder you on sight. However, if you go with the converting option, you might just be able to get Bahamut's aid with that, since it would be weakening his sister while leaving his own strength the same, if not greater

Âmesang
2016-03-26, 11:59 AM
The Rod of Savrille is a major artifact from the Dungeons & Dragons movie that was statted out in DRAGON #280, page 69.

Granted, it only summons and dominates Large and Huge red dragons… but it summons a whole heck of a lot of 'em. :smallbiggrin:

Endarire
2016-03-26, 05:23 PM
Use shades/shadow conjuration to make a quasi-real dragon by mimicking the spell chain from Spell Compendium called dragon ally? The bargaining is, "Serve me or stop existing." Or something like that.

ThinkMinty
2016-03-26, 05:33 PM
Use shades/shadow conjuration to make a quasi-real dragon by mimicking the spell chain from Spell Compendium called dragon ally? The bargaining is, "Serve me or stop existing." Or something like that.

An army of half-real shadow dragons sounds like some grade A- villain stuff. Super awesome, though.

You could go for some baby Steel Dragon (LA +0) minions if you can, then give 'em class levels to beef 'em up. A little more compact of a dragon, but still able to smack up your enemies and put the second D in Dungeons and Dragons into whatever you point 'em at.

ATHATH
2016-03-26, 06:28 PM
Wasn't there a prestige class that gave you a wyrmling dragon that you had to take care of, and had the ability to summon a dragon of the same type as the wyrmling (but older) as its capstone?

Draconium
2016-03-26, 06:37 PM
Wasn't there a prestige class that gave you a wyrmling dragon that you had to take care of, and had the ability to summon a dragon of the same type as the wyrmling (but older) as its capstone?

Yeah, the Dracolyte. They gain the wyrmling at 5th level (it has to match the character's alignment), and the ability to summon the older dragon (Adult age) 1/Day as their capstone. They need Toughness and Dragonfriend, 8 ranks in each of Know (Religion) and Concentration, 4 ranks in each of Diplomacy and Know (Arcana), the ability to speak Draconic, and the ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells. It advances spellcastin for all ten levels, and gives you an extra domain (Glory or Domination, depending on alignment), Alertness, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, and low-light vision/darkvision 60' as well.

Draconomicon pg. 122, if you're interested in finding out more.