PDA

View Full Version : Weirder/Fancier Spell Descriptions

ShadowFighter15
2016-03-26, 07:48 AM
So I was bored a few days ago and was looking around on the Type Moon Wiki (Type Moon are the guys behind Tsukihime and Fate/stay night if you've never heard of it) and remembered how much I liked their more unusual descriptions for certain magical effects, ie; Dead Apostles, vampires basically, heal by reversing their bodies through time to the point before they were wounded. So, while bored, I decided to try my hand at writing some of those weirder descriptions of my own for spell effects. Now I'm curious to see if anyone else has thought of some weird, cool ways to explain certain magical effects.

Not talking about any specific spells from any system, just the basic effect. Only thought of one so far and that was for a spell like 3.5's True Strike - massive bonus on the next melee attack roll the target makes, so that it is or nearly is an auto-hit.

Most warriors know that it is harder to avoid multiple co-ordinated strikes than it is just one. It’s often a useless bit of trivia, though, as getting such attacks to work successfully - whether by multiple people working in concert or a single swordsman wielding multiple blades simultaneously - takes many years of intense training. This spell, however, can allow a warrior to get around these restrictions for a single strike.

For a brief instant, at the moment when the warrior next swings their weapon with killing intent, the spell reaches out into the parallel universes created by his choice of strike. The multi-worlds theory states that for every decision made, another universe is created where the alternate choice is played out instead. At the moment a warrior chooses how to strike, whether a conscious decision or not, multiple new worlds are created, each one differing solely in how the warrior chose to strike.

The spell sifts through these alternate warriors, combining with the warrior’s innate knowledge of combat, and selects the two or three alternates best suited to supporting the initial attack. Echoes of these alternate warriors are summoned into the world and strike as one with the original, their strikes forming a cage from which there is no escape. No matter how many of the strikes their target can evade or block, at least one will always find its mark.

So; has anyone else thought of weird or just unusual explanations for how certain spells produce their effects?