PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warcraft's Demon Hunter, for 5e

DreamingGod05
2016-03-26, 09:47 AM
Class Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LgcdSiinFamkZeRc4dKn3lSdeDREkQGbpsFKhKeBU1M/edit#

Alright, the later levels are not completely done, and the subclasses arn't fully written, BUT here is the base chassis. The Demon Hunter here is something of a Warlock/Monk with some flavorful abilities. In a way, I'm aiming for a more Tome of Battle feel, with Chaotic Energy being a fusion of a Battlemaster's superiority die and a monk's ki points.

Now, the Demon Hunter 'spells' (Immolation, and Mana Burn) I am not sure if I should do a 'spend x Chaotic energy and cast y spell', or write them up as a Demon Hunter only ability.

Calen
2016-03-26, 11:04 AM
Looks very interesting so far.

If you go the spell route you would want a more expanded spell list to choose from probably.

Going the ability route would be easier to balance I would imagine.

I look forward to seeing this completed.

DreamingGod05
2016-03-26, 11:32 AM
Well, it won't be full casting. Sigils of Sorcery will give Eldritch Knight-level casting, but it depends on if I write the ability as spells, or as Demon Hunter only.

Drakvor
2016-03-31, 09:14 PM
This class looks cool, but I am not sure about one thing; does this class hunt demons? or is this class a demon that hunts? The class has features that seem to fit both.

The Sigils are well made, I think.

About Sigil Inscribed Weapons, currently this feature does not have a limit to weapons, which means you can have as many inscribed weapons as you want. You may want to change that.

Another minor matter; hit points at higher levels should be d8(5), since all core rule classes get the average rounded up (unless you did that on purpose.)

Erniemist
2016-04-01, 12:28 AM
To Drakvor, the class description states that "They[Demon Hunters] made a pact, long ago, to fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it."

To DreamingGod05, I think that being able to spend an unlimited number of chaos dice on an attack might be overpowered, especially as they regenerate on a short rest. A level 20 demon hunter would be able to add 20d10 damage to an attack once per short rest. I am aware that this would be an inefficient use of dice, but the option is still very powerful. Perhaps you could cap the number of dice, either to a static or scaling number.
I really like the flavour of the class, even if it does feel a little powerful; keep working on it.

tallesthalfling
2016-04-01, 06:54 PM
This seems very flavourful I like the blind aspect it feels abit like illidan (cannot remember how to spell his name) mixed with daredevil. I haven't been able to look to deeply into the mechanical aspects but upon a glance thematically its on the right path I'll have to look deeper at it when I have the time.

DreamingGod05
2016-04-02, 11:30 PM
To Drakvor, the class description states that "They[Demon Hunters] made a pact, long ago, to fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it."

To DreamingGod05, I think that being able to spend an unlimited number of chaos dice on an attack might be overpowered, especially as they regenerate on a short rest. A level 20 demon hunter would be able to add 20d10 damage to an attack once per short rest. I am aware that this would be an inefficient use of dice, but the option is still very powerful. Perhaps you could cap the number of dice, either to a static or scaling number.
I really like the flavour of the class, even if it does feel a little powerful; keep working on it.

Right. A Dice cap seems obvious now that I look at it. Probably a cap of class level divided by 3? Most of hte maneuvers can't be payed for multiple times, but the spells can technically have their spell slot increased quite a bit. I think that may need ot be capped at a 5th level spell though.