PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hybrid Forgotten Realms Elf write-up?

ericp65
2016-03-26, 01:11 PM
Well met!

A fellow player expressed interest in creating an Elf whose parents are a Moon Elf and a Sylvan Elf. What do y'all suppose the character would look like, and what should the ability score adjustments be?

TIA for any help with this!

20s,
Eric

DarkSoul
2016-03-26, 03:22 PM
If you're referring to Wild (or Green) elves from the Forgotten Realms when you say sylvan elves, take a look at the Wood Elf in the Campaign Setting. They're still reclusive like the green elves, but still friendlier to other races like moon elves. If he's set on playing an elf with parents of two different races, then as far as I know he'll take after one or the other parent as far as abilities go. If he'd like to have some minor cosmetic differences to reflect his mixed race that's fine, but just choosing a single race for stats will make things easier on you.

ericp65
2016-03-26, 03:28 PM
If you're referring to Wild (or Green) elves from the Forgotten Realms when you say sylvan elves, take a look at the Wood Elf in the Campaign Setting. They're still reclusive like the green elves, but still friendlier to other races like moon elves. If he's set on playing an elf with parents of two different races, then as far as I know he'll take after one or the other parent as far as abilities go. If he'd like to have some minor cosmetic differences to reflect his mixed race that's fine, but just choosing a single race for stats will make things easier on you.

No, I have no interest in Wild Elves, so sorry for not clarifying. I mean Copper, or "Wood" Elf, as you mention. I realize that Copper Elves descend from Sun and Moon Elves, too (just mentioning it here).

Keltest
2016-03-27, 05:32 AM
I could be misremembering, but I believe in the Forgotten Realms when multiple elf subtypes breed, the child is just one or the other, not a hybrid. The exception being Drow, who are magically cursed.

ericp65
2016-03-27, 11:48 AM
I could be misremembering, but I believe in the Forgotten Realms when multiple elf subtypes breed, the child is just one or the other, not a hybrid. The exception being Drow, who are magically cursed.

I know what a Drow Half-Elf is like, but don't recall if they're fertile with other Elf subraces.

In the case of my interest here, I'm mostly curious as to physical characteristics, and I'm fine with choosing one or the other's ability score adjustments if necessary.

ericp65
2016-03-27, 11:52 AM
So, I'd like to "house rule" the notion of a blended physiology/appearance for this character concept.

Keltest
2016-03-27, 02:07 PM
So, I'd like to "house rule" the notion of a blended physiology/appearance for this character concept.

Then I would still say favor the mother. Use the racial characteristics from the mother's race, and throw in a few things like unusual eye/hair color, height, mass, etc... from the father's race. Make them still identifiably one breed, just with distinctive markings more common to the other one. Don't do all at once though or you end up with a wood elf that just has a moon elf's skin tone, or vice versa.

ericp65
2016-03-27, 02:18 PM
Then I would still say favor the mother. Use the racial characteristics from the mother's race, and throw in a few things like unusual eye/hair color, height, mass, etc... from the father's race. Make them still identifiably one breed, just with distinctive markings more common to the other one. Don't do all at once though or you end up with a wood elf that just has a moon elf's skin tone, or vice versa.

Yes! I like that, and will sketch out a sample character from either subrace as the mother, and take it a step farther with male and female specimens :-)

ericp65
2016-03-27, 03:23 PM
I don't recall the height and weight ranges for Wood Elves, and searching the 'net got me no joy. Can anyone clue me in, please? That's the only info I'm missing.