PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about female Half-Orcs

Mikalo
2016-03-26, 11:00 PM
In the next campaign my group is going to start (I hope soon) we decided to play a RP oriented game creating our characters based on the question "What d&d character am I?" we use both d&d and pathfinder so we have a lot of material to choose from and until now we have a Gnome mage, an Elf monk and a Dwarf warrior, I rolled a melee focused bard and at first I wanted to pick a half-elf, for simplicity and the fluff about being alone and blabla. Then something happened. One of my friend -the gnome- said (a little scaried while doing so) "Hey eh eh you know what I think you would be in a fantasy setting?" "I don't, tell me" "A half-orc"
The fact that I wanted to rip him apart makes it true I guess, also I really like half-orcs psychology and I never roleplayed one properly, they also fit the lonely kind of character so I remade my character sheet. Though I am used to play "cute" characters (being cute myself *wink wink*) and usually I'm always the one that put a lot of effort in writing the background, so while most of my characters are cute they never lack an interesting story (since writing is one of my favourite hobbies) also "Why not" is my signature quote.
So this is how the idea of the cute half-orc girl was born and when my journey through the web began to find awkward people like me who played one in a glorious and fashionable way. What I found is also the reason of why I am here writing this stuff willing to know what's up with this kind of stereotypes.
I found a bunch of sexy human-like green girls and a LOT of people complaining about how a by-the-book half-orc should be an ugly creature so ugly your eyes will explode just from seeing her and not a green super model. I find myself confused because while I also think a bythebook half-orc should be..well, "non-human" I find all this complaining non-sense just as annoying as most of the stereotypes out there, if not worse.
Then I found the "Almost human" trait, so I praysed the pathfinder gods (all of them) and calmed myself. Now I can kill my gnome friend and be cute while doing so *wink wink*

So my questions are
How do you prefer your female half-orcs to look like?
what do you think of enforcing stereotypes in d&d races? (like the drunk dwarf, the halfling thief...)
aaaand how would you punish as a respectable half-orc that little puny gnome?

I had a hard night and I'm surprised I can still write in engrish so..yah. Also sorry for the rant

Gildedragon
2016-03-26, 11:18 PM
there's a lot of looks I think cool. From the scary muscular Ms Olympia builds to stout and powerfully built to svelte aand athletic to curvy and sensual. Petite is... unlikely in my conception of H.Orcs.

what do you think of enforcing stereotypes in d&d races? (like the drunk dwarf, the halfling thief...)
Stereotypes not enforced. Characters are people. People come in all flavors; some fit in the boxes we make up, most don't.

As to how to punish the gnome and remain respectable...
hmm can't be a straight out fight, gnome is small so it looks unfair... Also as a mage: probably not the best to physically confront. Well since you're a bard, and 'cute', be an antiwingman. Lure all favorable attention away from them. Or rack a whole bunch of drinks on his tab at the inn.

Mikalo
2016-03-26, 11:27 PM
@Guigarci: we are playing gestalt and I'm also a barbarian (chaotic neutral) I have no problems at raging on his face >_> the problem is doing it with fashion so he'll regret giving me ideas and making me pass an entire night watching half naked orcs

Gildedragon
2016-03-26, 11:43 PM
@Guigarci: we are playing gestalt and I'm also a barbarian (chaotic neutral) I have no problems at raging on his face >_> the problem is doing it with fashion so he'll regret giving me ideas and making me pass an entire night watching half naked orcs

Use your constitution: get him black out drunk, have him wake up in a roomful of half (or wholly) naked half (or wholly) orcs. how this is done I leave up to you but i can quickly imagine a couple ways: from an illusion (he just thinks he wakes up in the orcpile), payment to the orcs for the orcpile, or calling in favors so orcs will pile him/convincing orcs to pile him, or 'suggesting' him to get into the orc pile and boosting his cha so he'll get it.

Mikalo
2016-03-26, 11:47 PM
The classic death by snu snu? I love the idea! hahaha

Troacctid
2016-03-27, 12:04 AM
According to the PHB, an average female half-orc is about 5'6" tall and weighs about 200 pounds. Half-orcs are generally larger and bulkier than humans, and will weigh more even if they're the same height. A female half-orc might be as short as 4'7" and weigh as little as 115 pounds, but she would be considered very petite.

ReaverVonVette
2016-03-27, 12:06 AM
In the next campaign my group is going to start (I hope soon) we decided to play a RP oriented game creating our characters based on the question "What d&d character am I?" we use both d&d and pathfinder so we have a lot of material to choose from and until now we have a Gnome mage, an Elf monk and a Dwarf warrior, I rolled a melee focused bard and at first I wanted to pick a half-elf, for simplicity and the fluff about being alone and blabla. Then something happened. One of my friend -the gnome- said (a little scaried while doing so) "Hey eh eh you know what I think you would be in a fantasy setting?" "I don't, tell me" "A half-orc"
The fact that I wanted to rip him apart makes it true I guess, also I really like half-orcs psychology and I never roleplayed one properly, they also fit the lonely kind of character so I remade my character sheet. Though I am used to play "cute" characters (being cute myself *wink wink*) and usually I'm always the one that put a lot of effort in writing the background, so while most of my characters are cute they never lack an interesting story (since writing is one of my favourite hobbies) also "Why not" is my signature quote.
So this is how the idea of the cute half-orc girl was born and when my journey through the web began to find awkward people like me who played one in a glorious and fashionable way. What I found is also the reason of why I am here writing this stuff willing to know what's up with this kind of stereotypes.
I found a bunch of sexy human-like green girls and a LOT of people complaining about how a by-the-book half-orc should be an ugly creature so ugly your eyes will explode just from seeing her and not a green super model. I find myself confused because while I also think a bythebook half-orc should be..well, "non-human" I find all this complaining non-sense just as annoying as most of the stereotypes out there, if not worse.
Then I found the "Almost human" trait, so I praysed the pathfinder gods (all of them) and calmed myself. Now I can kill my gnome friend and be cute while doing so *wink wink*

So my questions are

I had a hard night and I'm surprised I can still write in engrish so..yah. Also sorry for the rant

Half-Orcs, and full Orcs for that matter, aren't owned by anybody - you can make them as sexy, hot, cute, ugly, ateocious, handsome, gentlemanly, slutty, vigilant, paladin-like, or anything in between. D&D stereotypes are a gateway to te game in my opinion. For example, my main character is a Druid/Sharklord who LOVES being the king of his city. What Druid have you ever heard who loves hte city? The one who adapted it for Aquatic creatures and land creatures and sky creatures lol. Anything is possible in this grand world.

Coidzor
2016-03-27, 12:20 AM
Smaller tusks than male half-orcs, unless they somehow become chiefs; Amazonian or Valkyrie builds; usually possessing boobs, tending towards wider breasts and almost never having narrow or "torpedo" breasts.

They may not project as far away forward from their chests, but they're rarely pettanko unless they're just that muscle-bound that they no longer have breasts.

More variety of hair colors and textures than just black and coarse or stringy.

Kelvarius
2016-03-27, 12:53 AM
A female half orc can look like anything you want. I would imagine She-Hulk might be a good starting point for a high cha female half orc, and work your way down as you get lower in cha.

But, for the record, not all half orcs look the same. In one of the R.A.Salvatore books (I forget which one, but I think it's one that focused on Entreri), one of the major characters was a female half orc that was described as very attractive and nearly human looking.

Occasional Sage
2016-03-27, 01:23 AM
I view stereotypes in RPGs the same way I view them in real life: as a lazy crutch for people who don't care enough to look for the truth.

Look at the stereotypes about your nationality held around the world, for example, then compare that to yourself and ten family members or close friends. You'l find bits and pieces of the stereotype in everybody, most likely, and some traits in everybody that are exactly opposite of expectations, and many, many traits that are off in other directions entirely.

CIDE
2016-03-27, 02:37 AM
As others have said she can look however you want her to look. That sad I personally would leave just enough to indicate that the character isn't human. If going for "cute" tusks may be a bad idea. At least have them diminished to the point that they can be hidden. But green skin isn't inherently bad at all; hell, people crush over Gamora and She-Hulk all the time. While using base stats from the book the half-orcs are heavier than their human counterparts that's entirely up to you. I personally enjoy the athletic semi-muscular build on a female. I'm not talking about straight up body builders here but rather what you normally see for fitness models. One of them is even a Victoria Secret model so just having some muscle and higher definition isn't really a bad thing.

Spore
2016-03-27, 07:43 AM
When talking about "bulkier females" I usually think about this.

http://www.playnation.de/uploads/news/newspic-57466-thumb.jpg

Other than that I don't think any phenotype is mandatory for any half human character. Just follow basic guidelines. Half Giants are bigger, Half Orcs are more bulky, Half Elves tend to have more lean body type. If you want to make her break the mold give her a combat style that focusses on Weapon Finesse. While not optimal it is a refreshing shift.

OldTrees1
2016-03-27, 07:59 AM
So my questions are

1)
Male Orcs are "Orcs, but male" thus female Orcs are "Orcs, but female". I use human sexual dimorphism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_dimorphism) for all races unless there is a reason to do otherwise.
They range from 7 to 22 Str (compared to the 3-18 of humans), thus most(14-15 Str) would have notable musculature.

Male Half Orcs are "Half Orcs, but male" thus female Half Orcs are "Half Orcs, but female".
While +4 racial modifiers can shift the norm a lot, +2 racial modifiers don't do so as much (5-10 vs 3-10 is fairly similar range for weaker members).

Physical appearances vary drastically since, going off the Orc picture, humans and orcs differ in skin color, nose shape, jaw structure, and ear structure. A first generation half orc could readily land anywhere in between(even almost identical to one of the parent races). If a population of half orcs reproduces for many generations they would end up fixating some of these traits. If that population also received new first generation half orcs, then the fixation would likely be about midway on each trait.

2)
I don't enforce stereotypes. Some are rooted, but distorted from truth (All Halflings are thieves Halflings communities are protected by rogues, so expect assassins rather than armies if you wrong them). However, while a particular member might play to the stereotype, it is not mandatory.

3)
I don't think the gnome did anything to the half-orc. Wasn't the gnome/gnome's player talking to you?

However your race does not really limit you in how you choose to punish. Perhaps look at your class?

Tanuki Tales
2016-03-27, 08:02 AM
Why not like Jenka (http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/girlgenius/images/b/b1/JenkaOutOfUniform.png/revision/latest?cb=20151211061123) or Mamma Gkika (http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/girlgenius/images/4/48/GkikkaNCompany02.png/revision/latest?cb=20111230055145)?

Just because the guys are all monstrous in ways of bulging muscles, slavering tusked fangs and roaring rage doesn't mean their ladies can't be equally monstrous and sharp, but in their own ways. :smallwink:

Mikalo
2016-03-27, 09:50 AM
During my research I found a bunch of cute half orcs too but they are hard to find >_< I'm almost tempted to draw one myself

http://orig13.deviantart.net/59d2/f/2013/351/0/c/baldur_s_gate_fan_art____half_orc_girl___by_dar_de vil-d6u3ig7.jpg

http://img02.deviantart.net/14d4/i/2011/082/8/c/wow__orc_girl_by_lp_slash_queen-d3carij.png

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6a/60/cf/6a60cf66a3b55c43409f566365585721.jpg

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0268/98/1377802758451.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3a/0f/47/3a0f4791e39bbd362c28d2ec799d4c13.jpg
(this one is my favourite)

Question: How much human can I look like with the Almost Human trait?

OldTrees1
2016-03-27, 10:35 AM
During my research I found a bunch of cute half orcs too but they are hard to find >_< I'm almost tempted to draw one myself

http://orig13.deviantart.net/59d2/f/2013/351/0/c/baldur_s_gate_fan_art____half_orc_girl___by_dar_de vil-d6u3ig7.jpg

http://img02.deviantart.net/14d4/i/2011/082/8/c/wow__orc_girl_by_lp_slash_queen-d3carij.png

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6a/60/cf/6a60cf66a3b55c43409f566365585721.jpg

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0268/98/1377802758451.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3a/0f/47/3a0f4791e39bbd362c28d2ec799d4c13.jpg
(this one is my favourite)

Question: How much human can I look like with the Almost Human trait?

Are you a 1st generation Half Orc or were you the offspring of 2 Half Orcs? Assuming genetics works the same as it does in real life, you can get remarkably close provided you are not a 1st generation Half Orc. A 1st generation Half Orc would at best have 1 chromosome from the most human looking Orc and 1 chromosome from the least orc looking human. Dominance and recessive nature of the traits in unknown but likely to be incomplete dominance due to the number of genes related to each trait. Thus you would expect the most human looking 1st generation half orc to be halfway between the least orc looking human and the most human looking orc.

Those pictures are quite reasonable for later generations. However I would expect a 1st generation half orc would have a more mixed jaw structure and less flat face. Tusk size looks reasonable though. Skin tone and ear shape in those pictures have more than the minimum about of orcish influence (but not more than the maximum for a 1st generation half orc).

Mikalo
2016-03-27, 10:54 AM
The character is supposed to be my d&d alter ego and my parents aren't very orc like (mom and dad are the black sheeps of the family, I would say they are both half-orcs hahaha even if good looking) I'm going offtopic though hahaha
I was talking about this trait
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/race-traits/almost-human

Gildedragon
2016-03-27, 11:16 AM
The character is supposed to be my d&d alter ego and my parents aren't very orc like (mom and dad are the black sheeps of the family, I would say they are both half-orcs hahaha even if good looking) I'm going offtopic though hahaha

Since it is an effective +2 to disguise I'd say: human colored skin, small tusks...still recognizable as an orc, sometimes, but if going into a wholly orc community they might take you for human and treat you as such

Mikalo
2016-03-27, 11:30 AM
It's a +4, though that description is enough to make my cutey. I shall now find an unused piece of paper and a pencil, it's drawing time

OldTrees1
2016-03-27, 11:31 AM

So certainly a later generation then. So you could be quite similar in appearance to a human.

You have enough human features that it's easy for you to pass for a pureblooded human.
Well, that says it all to me. You probably have slight pigmentation, some small tusks(the jaw would be a bit more square in order for the tusks to protrude a bit rather than stab the roof of your mouth), and your ears would be a bit pointier. Any of those 5 pictures would work fine. Even some pictures of humans would work fine at a distance.

Venger
2016-03-27, 11:32 AM
It's a +4, though that description is enough to make my cutey. I shall now find an unused piece of paper and a pencil, it's drawing time

right but you take a -2 to disguise when disguising yourself as another race, so it's an effective +2.

Mikalo
2016-03-27, 11:34 AM
Aww I missed that part xD

Gildedragon
2016-03-27, 11:42 AM
Unless you intend to spend much of your time passing as human, I'd go for another trait. Being visibly orc-y doesn't mean you can't be cute. Yeah you're grayer or greener than most folk... So what? Grey is the color of silver, of a storm cloud, and of the distant mountains, half seen through their mist; green, green is life, plants, the copper roofs of the most cosmopolitan cities, the ancient bronze gods of unrivaled beauty, jade and emeralds and the rarest of ambers

Mikalo
2016-03-27, 11:56 AM
I like green and gray skinned half orcs, I love those in the pictures I posted for example but yeah, I know that being a RP focused campaign we are going to use that kind of stuff in pretty much every session. You know what though? You are right, I'll have my half orc green and with ice thanks!

Gildedragon
2016-03-27, 12:00 PM
I like green and gray skinned half orcs, I love those in the pictures I posted for example but yeah, I know that being a RP focused campaign we are going to use that kind of stuff in pretty much every session. You know what though? You are right, I'll have my half orc green and with ice thanks!

And if anyone gives you flack for being green, you can make them black and blue.

KillingAScarab
2016-03-28, 04:37 AM
I like green and gray skinned half orcs, I love those in the pictures I posted for example but yeah, I know that being a RP focused campaign we are going to use that kind of stuff in pretty much every session. You know what though? You are right, I'll have my half orc green and with ice thanks!What's the setting for your campaign? I played a half-orc barbarian/bard/red dragon disciple in Neverwinter Nights. I didn't really roleplay her, other than making an effort to be chaotic good-ish. I keep thinking about recreating the character, but after something I read in Faiths and Pantheons I think if I played her in Forgotten Realms I'm pretty much forced to consider only the human heritage. Eberron or Golarion seem like they might be more appealing settings for dabbling in the orc side of heritage.

Seto
2016-03-28, 08:54 AM

Put his stuff on the top shelf.

atemu1234
2016-03-28, 08:58 AM
I view stereotypes in RPGs the same way I view them in real life: as a lazy crutch for people who don't care enough to look for the truth.

Look at the stereotypes about your nationality held around the world, for example, then compare that to yourself and ten family members or close friends. You'l find bits and pieces of the stereotype in everybody, most likely, and some traits in everybody that are exactly opposite of expectations, and many, many traits that are off in other directions entirely.

Yep, this. Either that, or there is an acceptable sociological reason for it that exists because it is practical first, cultural second. I'll use the example of spices in a lot of foods - certain countries are known to use these spices, and others not. Well there could be a couple reasons -

1) Prior to trade, they may be locally grown and favored.
2) For lower incomes, food has tended to be bland and tasteless. Spices change that. Those that use them tend to do so to cover up bland flavors, sometimes excessively.

So why are Orcs viewed as brutes? Because they don't have a sedentary civilization, or at least are not known for it. Therein, they are stereotyped as "barbarians", but any civilization that is attempted to be set up are stopped by people who are against Orcs, who fear them because they are 'barbarians'. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Psyren
2016-03-28, 09:06 AM
Garona Halforcen is pretty, but IIRC her other half is draenei rather than human so that fact may have informed each artist's perceptions about her attractiveness while drawing her.

What I will point out - as I usually do in threads like these - is that "below-average Charisma" does not have to mean "ugly," any more than high Charisma guarantees that you'll be aesthetically pleasing (just ask any Atropal.) I will also point out that PF half-orcs don't have a Cha penalty either.

KillingAScarab
2016-03-28, 09:48 AM
What I will point out - as I usually do in threads like these - is that "below-average Charisma" does not have to mean "ugly," any more than high Charisma guarantees that you'll be aesthetically pleasing (just ask any Atropal.) I will also point out that PF half-orcs don't have a Cha penalty either.A good point. While appearance is mentioned as one part of the description for charisma in Pathfinder, the wording was "physical attractiveness" in 3.5, where half-orcs did receive a charisma penalty. Many players thought a high charisma score was equivalent to beauty, while mechanically it has more to do with a creature's presence or sense of self (or lifeforce where undead are concerned). I bet if there's ever a stat block for a peacock and a pigeon, they'll both have charisma no higher than 6.

In Pathfinder, you can apply that +2 bonus to charisma if you want, you just also have a bonus to intimidate. There are alternative racial traits (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-orc#TOC-Alternate-Racial-Traits) out there which replace the intimidating racial trait, but you can just as easily keep it and interpret it as something other than threatening physical violence. Even the bestial racial trait doesn't affect how charisma or charisma-based skills work at all.

Mikalo
2016-03-28, 10:01 AM
@KillingAScarab: No particular setting. I mean, we are playing the DM personal setting in which every creature different than human is seen as an abomination. That's why I imagine being stealthy 99% of the time when near a city

@Seto: You deserve a cookie hahahaha
I already imagined how to make him pay though, I'll wait for him to sleep and then I'll leave him in the middle of the desert (a huge part of the quest is set in a desert)

@Psyren: I always say "If a trait can't solve it then give up" that's why I'm going to take this
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/overwhelming-beauty-magic

Segev
2016-03-28, 10:12 AM
I was in a game with a player who created Roghilda, half-orc barbarian. She was very excited by the prospect of fighting a bear. She was, in general, an act first, think later sort of gal with a touch of a mean streak, but not mean-spiritedness. (She would tend to have a violent and efficient solution pop to mind first, but she didn't do it out of malice so much as "it seems effective.") The bear thing was such a running joke that we eventually answered her question of "Will there be a bear?" with, "With you, Roghilda, there's ALWAYS a bear."

And, if the game'd lasted long enough, there were plans to let her get into the Bear Warrior PrC.

Kish
2016-03-28, 10:19 AM
Garona Halforcen is pretty, but IIRC her other half is draenei rather than orc so that fact may have informed each artist's perceptions about her attractiveness while drawing her.
Depends on when they were drawn.

Version 1: "She's half-orc, half-human. No ambiguity."

"Uh, by our current version of the lore, humans cannot have had contact with orcs at the time she was conceived...

Version 2: "We never said she was half-human, only half-orc, half-something! She's half-draenei!"

"Uh, we just retconned draenei into massive blue creatures with hooves and face tentacles, and these pictures of her look like she's halfway between an orc and a human!"

Version 3: "DON'T ASK SO MANY DAMN QUESTIONS!"

KillingAScarab
2016-03-28, 10:26 AM
@KillingAScarab: No particular setting. I mean, we are playing the DM personal setting in which every creature different than human is seen as an abomination. That's why I imagine being stealthy 99% of the time when near a city

@Seto: You deserve a cookie hahahaha
I already imagined how to make him pay though, I'll wait for him to sleep and then I'll leave him in the middle of the desert (a huge part of the quest is set in a desert)

@Psyren: I always say "If a trait can't solve it then give up" that's why I'm going to take this
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/overwhelming-beauty-magicXenophobic humans, then? That trait might help a bit if spotted or your disguise fails, too, since the fascinate bardic performance and, say, the calm emotions spell could both get the bonus. Fascinate bardic performance would be very limited, since it has that 24 hour wait before the same target can be affected.

I was in a game with a player who created Roghilda, half-orc barbarian. She was very excited by the prospect of fighting a bear. She was, in general, an act first, think later sort of gal with a touch of a mean streak, but not mean-spiritedness. (She would tend to have a violent and efficient solution pop to mind first, but she didn't do it out of malice so much as "it seems effective.") The bear thing was such a running joke that we eventually answered her question of "Will there be a bear?" with, "With you, Roghilda, there's ALWAYS a bear."

And, if the game'd lasted long enough, there were plans to let her get into the Bear Warrior PrC.Roghilda reminded me of this Zangief flowchart.
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Other/Features/Top%207/2008-03-17%20SF%20win%20quotes/Screens/zangiefchart--article_image.jpg

Mikalo
2016-03-28, 10:33 AM
Oh boy oh boy!

Psyren
2016-03-28, 10:38 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/overwhelming-beauty-magic

To be totally fair, the wording of this definitely seems like a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" situation. A female dwarf with this trait for instance would be absolutely stunning... to other dwarves :smalltongue:

Depends on when they were drawn.

Version 1: "She's half-orc, half-human. No ambiguity."

"Uh, by our current version of the lore, humans cannot have had contact with orcs at the time she was conceived...

Version 2: "We never said she was half-human, only half-orc, half-something! She's half-draenei!"

"Uh, we just retconned draenei into massive blue creatures with hooves and face tentacles, and these pictures of her look like she's halfway between an orc and a human!"

Version 3: "DON'T ASK SO MANY DAMN QUESTIONS!"

Don't forget horns and tails :smallbiggrin:

Mikalo
2016-03-28, 10:57 AM
If I read it right I am appealing for both humans, orcs, half-orcs and anything in between. I don't mind being good looking for human standards while still being green x'D

NightbringerGGZ
2016-03-28, 12:00 PM
Garona Halforcen is pretty, but IIRC her other half is draenei rather than human so that fact may have informed each artist's perceptions about her attractiveness while drawing her.

What I will point out - as I usually do in threads like these - is that "below-average Charisma" does not have to mean "ugly," any more than high Charisma guarantees that you'll be aesthetically pleasing (just ask any Atropal.) I will also point out that PF half-orcs don't have a Cha penalty either.

Well that was Redconned in. In the RTS she was half-human and that influenced a lot of the earlier artwork.

Psyren
2016-03-28, 12:08 PM
Well that was Redconned in. In the RTS she was half-human and that influenced a lot of the earlier artwork.

Oh, I'm aware and agree, but I believe Kish's point is that even artwork created post-retcon hasn't changed her much. They did add a few Draenei affectations like glowing blue eyes and pointy ears though.

illyahr
2016-03-28, 12:45 PM
Stereotypical orcs and half-orcs are based on a flawed understanding of Vikings. You play a Viking, you have a passable orc. They are loud, crude warriors who thrill in fighting and pillaging and singing songs of their gods and ancestors. If you are CN, even better. Live things up. Do everything with a passion that most others find odd. Raise such a riot among friends and enemies alike that your gods notice you and say "Hey, I want that one on my team!"

Mikalo
2016-03-28, 01:50 PM
I just have to be myself hahaha

digiman619
2016-03-28, 03:19 PM
And if anyone gives you flack for being green, you can make them black and blue.

This needs to be the orcish/half-orcish motto!

Lycanthrope13
2016-03-28, 07:47 PM
Ok, my vision of "cute half-orc" is: tall, lithe, athletic build, slightly upturned nose, tiny tusks, pale, almost mint green skin, hazel eyes, and dark auburn hair.

Just an idea of how to roleplay a half-orc bard; I had a half-orc paladin once who carried a small bamboo flute and called it his most cherished possession. It was given to him by his mentor who taught him to use music to calm his inborn rage and bloodlust. Every night, he would sit alone under the stars and play, feeling the days frustrations melt away, and go to sleep with a feeling of utter peace. Deprive him of this release, and the rage would gradually build inside of him, making him increasingly irrational and unpredictable.

Mikalo
2016-03-28, 10:37 PM
@Lycanthrope13: I like your description, that's pretty much how my half-orc will look like but with grey eyes, black hair with pigtails and a fashion for gothic lolita dresses.

Oh god hahahaha
I'm going to use a flute and a guitar (since those are the instruments I'm good at in real life) but mainly the flute for extra kungfu badassery. For the roleplay part I just have to be myself, this is the whole point of the quest, chaotic neutral is my favourite allignment for a reason afterall

Coidzor
2016-03-29, 02:09 AM
@Lycanthrope13: I like your description, that's pretty much how my half-orc will look like but with grey eyes, black hair with pigtails and a fashion for gothic lolita dresses.

What is she, Taldan?

Mikalo
2016-03-29, 02:51 AM
For the gothic lolita thing?
Nah, that's just my way to screw with things and make my friends puke. Just because I can hahahaha
She will probably cover her entire body and hide her face when near a city and keep the outfit when we'll reach the desert but if I learned something from mmorpgs is that there's always time to put on a cute dress and punch people for glory, always. (bonus point if you are tall, green and with muscles)

Psyren
2016-03-29, 08:06 AM
What is she, Taldan?

Wouldn't the gothic look be more common in Nidal or Cheliax?

NightbringerGGZ
2016-03-29, 08:21 AM
Well, since you're going Bard here's your theme song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZ-IxZ46ng). :smallbiggrin:

KillingAScarab
2016-03-29, 11:15 AM
For the gothic lolita thing?
Nah, that's just my way to screw with things and make my friends puke. Just because I can hahahaha
She will probably cover her entire body and hide her face when near a city and keep the outfit when we'll reach the desert but if I learned something from mmorpgs is that there's always time to put on a cute dress and punch people for glory, always. (bonus point if you are tall, green and with muscles)Tips for the adventuring goth

The endure elements spell will let you wear just about anything you want until you go somewhere you need energy resistance.
Prestidigitation will still remove the sand from your boots, it just takes longer for yours.
Cloaks, cloaks cloaks!

Mikalo
2016-03-29, 01:52 PM
@NightbringerGG: I cried. The orc in me found it beautiful *~*

@KillingAScarab: I feel the urge to have art of her now *cries*
I'm not going to adventure goth though, it will be my little dirty secret hahaha and if the others happen to find it...they are going to die >_>

I didn't know about the Inner Sea attitude for fashion though, I found the read useful and we are absolutely going to steal some ideas from it

Segev
2016-03-29, 05:26 PM
Roghilda reminded me of this Zangief flowchart.
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Other/Features/Top%207/2008-03-17%20SF%20win%20quotes/Screens/zangiefchart--article_image.jpg

That is, indeed, appropriate for Roghilda. She was fun to have in the party.

Winter_Wolf
2016-03-29, 09:51 PM
Isn't it amazing how so often people see -2 charisma as physical unattractiveness? If I'm being honest I personally knew a woman who was quite pretty but still had the charisma of a diseased toad. She was a loathsome, two faced (very bad word) excuse for a person if you spent more than two minutes listening to her talk. Physically on a 1-20 scale, a solid 15; personality was a big fat zero. Averaged out, ya got a 7.5 (7) charisma overall.

Roundabout way of saying that I don't see why one couldn't have gorgeous half orcs in a game. Then again I like muscular, tall women. And I think I'd be down with tusks; maybe not so much an orcish nose, though. I'm picky about eyes, noses, and lips.

Coidzor
2016-03-29, 10:10 PM
Wouldn't the gothic look be more common in Nidal or Cheliax?

I thought the Chelish just went with Gothic and the Nidalese all wore bondage straps or fetishwear underneath robes, tbh.

Taldans though, they love add-in extra ruffles on top of an already exorbitant amount of ruffles.

Mikalo
2016-03-29, 10:49 PM
@Winter_Wolf: To be fair in d&d 3.5 charisma is actually related to both personality and look, in pathfinder half-orcs are indeed described as not appealing (but they can get a +2 to charisma) because they are green with muscles, they have pointy ears and tusks. I understand why such a stereotype exist (I still have to figure out the thing about female dwarves with beard though), I just don't understand why they became a symbol of ugliness, almost an insult to what real beauty is, when they can actually look pretty good.
Try to google and search for good looking half orcs (both male and females), they are pretty hard to find so artists aren't really helping either.

Gildedragon
2016-03-29, 11:07 PM
Try to google and search for good looking half orcs (both male and females), they are pretty hard to find so artists aren't really helping either.

>.> dunno come across a lot of handsome man-orc images; albeit most are NSFW and I have it bad for ultra butch guys so maybe my standards of beauty are skewed.

Mikalo
2016-03-29, 11:14 PM
Plot twist: What if they were all females in truth?

Gildedragon
2016-03-29, 11:26 PM
Plot twist: What if they were all females in truth?

Artist referred to them as male but it is a fair point: why should orcs be sexualy dimorphous at all in regards to bodyfat distribution?

Mikalo
2016-03-29, 11:36 PM
You've got me confused...we want our male orcs slim or the female orcs fat? xD

Gildedragon
2016-03-29, 11:44 PM
You've got me confused...we want our male orcs slim or the female orcs fat? xD

That's not quite what I meant. Just that there needn't be any, at least to humans, clear indicator of orcish sex once the clothes and/or armor are on. Muscles, fat, body shape... they might be very similar between male and female orcs

Which is all a longwinded way to say: your orc can look however you like, have whichever gender you want them to have, whichever alignment, inner life, preferences, identity etc... they are your character to and through. Go nuts

bahamut920
2016-03-29, 11:47 PM
So my questions are
Aesthetically? More She-Hulk, less Pig-Face. However, it aids verisimilitude if they don't all look like that. Stick within the guidelines for the race; that is, half-orcs, male or female, should have at least some "orcish" physical traits and some "human" physical traits. Downplay one side if you want, but don't make a half-orc and describe her looking like an elf.

Stereotypes in D&D are about as useful as alignment; that is, use them as a general guideline, not a straitjacket. Take what you want, throw out the rest. Of course, it's interesting to come up with reasons why these traits exist. For example, maybe your dwarf (and dwarves in general) are hard drinkers because dwarven society is so straitlaced and clannish, and the "excuse" of intoxication offers a chance for individual dwarves to open up, speak their mind, and defy their "role".

I strongly discourage taking out-of-character grievances in-character. It just makes a mess.

@Winter_Wolf: To be fair in d&d 3.5 charisma is actually related to both personality and look, in pathfinder half-orcs are indeed described as not appealing (but they can get a +2 to charisma) because they are green with muscles, they have pointy ears and tusks. I understand why such a stereotype exist (I still have to figure out the thing about female dwarves with beard though), I just don't understand why they became a symbol of ugliness, almost an insult to what real beauty is, when they can actually look pretty good.
Bearded female dwarves comes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, which are a largely parodic take on fantasy literature.

And what D&D 3.5 says Charisma is and what it actually is are two different things, unless you believe balors, anaxims, or atropals are the standard of beauty in Fantasy D&D Land. There are also feats and special abilities that relate to physical beauty which by rights you should get at high enough Charisma, but don't. And your Charisma should obviously vary as you move from culture to culture, because physical beauty is highly subjective. A friend of mine has stated that the "appearance" aspect of Charisma is probably more like "getting the most out of what you have" rather than what you were born with, and I agree with his take on it. Stuff like posture, grooming, and your habitual facial expression are the appearance factors of your Cha score. Half-orcs in 3.5 have a Cha penalty because living with a lifetime of discrimination tends to leave one surly and irritable, or at least withdrawn and brooding, rather than open and personable, and because their generally lower-class upbringing tends to bring them to neglect factors such as hygiene and grooming. Additionally, the stereotypes against orcs and half-orcs work against them; people are less inclined to trust someone that they believe is prone to violent rages and betrayal.

Coidzor
2016-03-30, 12:10 AM
Artist referred to them as male but it is a fair point: why should orcs be sexualy dimorphous at all in regards to bodyfat distribution?

Padding to help protect gestating orclings would be the main reason.

Mikalo
2016-03-30, 12:19 AM
@Guigarci: It sounds so hideous hahahaha now I can't stop imagining a male orc with beautiful long blonde hair and eyelashes. Let's not talk about it anymore or I'm going to have nightmares x'D

@bahamut920: Good point, good point and good point. I know charisma is a bit complicated to understand specially when tied to the look, I'm reclutant too to use it to describe how beautiful a character is but sometimes I see it as a determinating factor (I still prefer describing the character look instead and roleplay it out, my half orc charisma is not over the roof in fact but I'm trying to prove my group she is not an abomination either)
For the revenge on the gnome don't worry, he's my best friend so he'll understand if I punish him for good once...twice maybe xD

Segev
2016-03-30, 12:23 AM
A lot of the half-orc -2 to Charisma is personality. They're naturally brash and have an innate tendency towards direct, brutish behavior. It takes more effort on their part to clean up their act for polite company. They can do it, certainly; a -2 to Charisma doesn't prevent them from having, say, a 16 Cha and 4 ranks of Diplomacy, Bluff, and/or Perform, which would be considered respectable (though not the absolute best possible) on a first level bard. But they have to work at it a bit harder than, say, a halfling, who (at least in PF) would have a 20 Cha with the same base rolled/purchased scores.

Coidzor
2016-03-30, 12:34 AM
A lot of the half-orc -2 to Charisma is personality. They're naturally brash and have an innate tendency towards direct, brutish behavior. It takes more effort on their part to clean up their act for polite company. They can do it, certainly; a -2 to Charisma doesn't prevent them from having, say, a 16 Cha and 4 ranks of Diplomacy, Bluff, and/or Perform, which would be considered respectable (though not the absolute best possible) on a first level bard. But they have to work at it a bit harder than, say, a halfling, who (at least in PF) would have a 20 Cha with the same base rolled/purchased scores.

In many ways they act like hotblooded Shonen protagonists, even. :smallamused:

Winter_Wolf
2016-03-30, 02:11 AM
In many ways they act like hotblooded Shonen protagonists, even. :smallamused:

Angsty little dirtbags? :smalltongue:

I actually like shonen comics, sometimes. Still, gotta call it like I see it.

digiman619
2016-03-30, 02:56 AM

That and/or being kinda dumb. Looking at you, Soul Eater!

ThinkMinty
2016-03-30, 03:21 AM

That's usually the rival character.

The shonen protagonist is stereotypically a hothead who yells at old people and punches all the things.

Mikalo
2016-03-30, 03:25 AM
That's me!

Gildedragon
2016-03-30, 03:30 AM

The shonen protagonist is stereotypically a hothead who yells at old people and punches all the things.

aren't they usually insane high charisma? give rousing speeches of how the power of friendship and pulling together, and how if they really really want it, everything always better forever. Believe in the me that believes in you sorta stuff? I mean they have to be gestalting with bard with Perform (oratory) as their key Inspire Courage performance.

Psyren
2016-03-30, 08:22 AM

The protagonist usually has plenty of angst too. Ichigo, Eren, Allen, Naruto, Maka... Even Natsu and Luffy have some.

Also... Shinji, just, Shinji.

KillingAScarab
2016-03-30, 09:12 AM
Also... Shinji, just, Shinji.As amusing as it is to remember how The Vision of Escaflowne: Abridged Series (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL351914B9967572B5) measured Van's angst-coma in mega-Shinjis...

I was looking at the Pathfinder half-orc racial traits and noticed these include weapon familiarity by default. I know this also includes greataxes and falchions, but this strikes me as fairly scarce territory for half-orcs. Is there any "orc" weapon out there other than the orc double axe?

Segev
2016-03-30, 10:20 AM
Ichigo had relatively little angst, especially considering how things went on screen for him. He was a pretty good shonen protagonist largely because he encountered problems over which he could angst and instead determined he would find a solution.

Luffy...doesn't really angst. He had one truly black moment, and it was well-earned. And then he got over it. Now, he gets ANGRY at times, but it's the "righteous anger" sort, and typically is at somebody engaging in a truly abhorrent act, often betrayal. One of the most terrifying moments of his career was fairly early on, and is epitomized by the line, "You made Nami cry." That wasn't angst. That was rage.

Shinji...isn't a shonen protagonist. He's an anti-shonen protagonist, almost by deliberate design. Evangelion was an early deconstruction of the "children pilot giant robots" genre. And then its author went nuts (literally, insane with genuine clinical depression).

But characterizing half-orcs as the less-likable (in general) sort of shonen protagonist is not unfair. It's actually a decent short-hand. When they live down to their average-8 charisma, think less "shonen protagonist" and more "school bully/thug." The "heroic" sorts are just easily misunderstood as being thuggish bullies even if they're not trying to be.

Winter_Wolf
2016-03-30, 10:23 AM
Well if memory serves (sometimes it doesn't) half orcs don't have wisdom penalties. Just say they have enough good sense to recognize good ideas when they find 'em. Well, as far as warfare goes at least.

Segev
2016-03-30, 10:44 AM
Well if memory serves (sometimes it doesn't) half orcs don't have wisdom penalties. Just say they have enough good sense to recognize good ideas when they find 'em. Well, as far as warfare goes at least.

No Wis penalty? Well, there goes their chance of being shonen protagonists! :smalltongue:

Psyren
2016-03-30, 10:50 AM
Ichigo had relatively little angst, especially considering how things went on screen for him.

You're kidding right? He angsts all the time. He had almost an entire season of angst (Fullbring Arc, when he lost his powers entirely) as well as angsting whenever he fails to protect his friends (Rukia getting captured in S1, Orihime and Chad getting beat up by Espada, having a Heroic BSOD when Aizen beat up his dad etc.) Isshin had to literally kick his ass back into gear.

The fact that he recovered from all those episodes is besides the point - he still spent a solid chunk of time angsting.

Shinji...isn't a shonen protagonist. He's an anti-shonen protagonist, almost by deliberate design. Evangelion was an early deconstruction of the "children pilot giant robots" genre. And then its author went nuts (literally, insane with genuine clinical depression).

Point.

But characterizing half-orcs as the less-likable (in general) sort of shonen protagonist is not unfair. It's actually a decent short-hand. When they live down to their average-8 charisma, think less "shonen protagonist" and more "school bully/thug." The "heroic" sorts are just easily misunderstood as being thuggish bullies even if they're not trying to be.

Point.

Segev
2016-03-30, 10:56 AM
You're kidding right? He angsts all the time. He had almost an entire season of angst (Fullbring Arc, when he lost his powers entirely) as well as angsting whenever he fails to protect his friends (Rukia getting captured in S1, Orihime and Chad getting beat up by Espada, having a Heroic BSOD when Aizen beat up his dad etc.) Isshin had to literally kick his ass back into gear.

The fact that he recovered from all those episodes is besides the point - he still spent a solid chunk of time angsting.

It's been a while since I watched the series, admittedly, so my memory could be flawed. I recalled his angsting being relatively short-lived, for the most part. Rukia kidnapped? That's awful...wait, there's a way I can help her? Screw angst, let's do this! Orihime kidnapped? Right, I KNOW I can do something about this; how hard do I have to punch reality again?

Fullbring arc, yeah. He was depressed. His angst was fairly underplayed, I thought, there. I didn't care for it on a number of levels (not the least because it once again was invalidating a supposedly high cost...though at least they made it take a full season). But I thought it was less angst and more just...frustrated acceptance (and occasional effort to make a difference in spite of it).

I've been told great things about the maga as it continues past that point, but I don't particularly want to read it right now. I kind-of hope they make an anime continuation when it finishes.

Also, going further off-topic: I really hope a "One Piece Kai" comes out after the manga finally finishes. DBZ really benefitted from the remake with all the filler removed. One Piece is about 99% filler these days.

Hamste
2016-03-30, 11:06 AM
As amusing as it is to remember how The Vision of Escaflowne: Abridged Series (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL351914B9967572B5) measured Van's angst-coma in mega-Shinjis...

I was looking at the Pathfinder half-orc racial traits and noticed these include weapon familiarity by default. I know this also includes greataxes and falchions, but this strikes me as fairly scarce territory for half-orcs. Is there any "orc" weapon out there other than the orc double axe?

Well there are torches and sorcerers. Other than that can't think of any.

Psyren
2016-03-30, 11:22 AM
Also, going further off-topic: I really hope a "One Piece Kai" comes out after the manga finally finishes. DBZ really benefitted from the remake with all the filler removed. One Piece is about 99% filler these days.

I badly want this for Naruto as well. I'd love to finally watch these but the density of filler is very daunting.

Well, I'm still not sure I'd get into One Piece - the artwork is pretty off-putting for me - but at least I'd get a chance of learning what all the fuss is about.

soldersbushwack
2016-03-30, 12:07 PM
Why play an half-orc if you're not actually going to play an half-orc
but just a human with some makeup on? I really think you're depriving
yourself of a potentially good roleplay opportunity here.
Indisputably orcs in D&D are based off of orcs in J.R.R Tolkien's Lord
of the Rings. In the Lords of the Rings the orcs are corruptions of
Morgoth like Gollum and the Ring Wraiths. You wouldn't **** Smeagol
would you? Likewise, you shouldn't find Tolkien's half-orcs cute or
attractive. I know many women have a deep urge to find themselves
(and the character's they roleplay) sexually attractive, cute or
pretty but I really think this might cheapen the experience. This
could be a good opportunity to build some empathy for people who are
not cute or pretty. I also think it cheapens the concept of orcs to
dress up the concept in pink and makeup.

Mikalo
2016-03-30, 02:12 PM
Because the point of the quest is not roleplaying a character but try to be myself.
The entire group is pretty set on my half-orc psycology (I'm using the pathfinder version which has no penalties) though I'm not that ugly to be considered an abomination. Also none of us like tolkien really that much (I think the master is even against bringing tolkien to our table, even if d&d is very similar to his work and even inspired by him we try to go to another direction)
Really, that's it. People said "You are hotblooded like an half orc" and I rolled with it, I am hotblooded yah but I can also be extremely cute sometimes so if I'm going to play a half orc I'm going to be an extremely cute one, with makeup, pretty dresses and stuff xD

Telonius
2016-03-30, 02:25 PM
The fact that D&D-orcs have a separate origin from Elves - and that some Dragons can be Good - already means we've left Tolkien behind. Orcs are a separate race, created by Gruumsh, not the result of centuries of Morgoth's torment.

Mikalo
2016-03-30, 07:10 PM
And I should point out that our usual setting is more steampunk and not the usual d&d setting, we don't even follow the game lore but we have a personal one. The point of the quest though is not to roleplay an half-orc but myself, so I'm not going to be different or see it as a roleplay opportunity, it would be against the point of the game doing so.
Who said an half-orc of second or third generation can't be cute or pretend to be cute? Is it tied to the race? If it is I'm going to change race, really. The point is being myself so I should pick the right stuff, I was going to pick the half-elf at the beginning then my friend pointed out that I'm not that diplomatic and I'd rather yell at people and then punch them on the nose. I yelled at him but he is right x'D

OldTrees1
2016-03-30, 07:31 PM
And I should point out that our usual setting is more steampunk and not the usual d&d setting, we don't even follow the game lore but we have a personal one. The point of the quest though is not to roleplay an half-orc but myself, so I'm not going to be different or see it as a roleplay opportunity, it would be against the point of the game doing so.
Who said an half-orc of second or third generation can't be cute or pretend to be cute? Is it tied to the race? If it is I'm going to change race, really. The point is being myself so I should pick the right stuff, I was going to pick the half-elf at the beginning then my friend pointed out that I'm not that diplomatic and I'd rather yell at people and then punch them on the nose. I yelled at him but he is right x'D

The genetics are complicated but signs point to "Go ahead!".

1) Different species have different beauty standards. (To a Peacock I am ugly to the point of horror due to my lack of a tail) So even an Orc can be cute(to an Orc).

2) Some beauty traits are in both species (how else would a Human and an Orc fall in love/lust?).

3) Each generation expands range of possible half orcs. While also increasing the frequency of a "norm". Well, up until a trait becomes fixated, after that there will be minimum variation from that fixed trait.

KillingAScarab
2016-03-30, 09:09 PM
You wouldn't **** Smeagol
would you? Likewise, you shouldn't find Tolkien's half-orcs cute or
attractive.

2) Some beauty traits are in both species (how else would a Human and an Orc fall in love/lust?).I'm in agreement with OldTrees1, here. While I guess it might not be the case in your campaign, consensual relationships between humans and orcs are totally plausible. Implying otherwise is squicky, personally, but also seems like a rather large judgment to make of other people based on a game.
https://lsatmax.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/jump_to_conclusions_mat.jpg

Also none of us like tolkien really that much (I think the master is even against bringing tolkien to our table, even if d&d is very similar to his work and even inspired by him we try to go to another direction)If you want to see what happens when you try to bring The Lord of the Rings without adaptation into D&D, see DM of the Rings (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612). The breaking of the fellowship was caused by the Hobbits' players all leaving to play another game.

And I should point out that our usual setting is more steampunk and not the usual d&d setting, we don't even follow the game lore but we have a personal one.Steampunk + desert makes me think there would be some kind of moving castle to discover. Seems like fun!

Well there are torches and sorcerers. Other than that can't think of any.Good point. So, would a Pathfinder half-orc be proficient when picking up the party sorcerer to beat someone, or when picking up the sorcerer and getting them to use their blasty spells?http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/en.futurama/images/4/44/Andrew.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090805195155

Gildedragon
2016-03-30, 09:14 PM
Steampunk + desert makes me think there would be some kind of moving castle to discover. Seems like fun!
Maybe a giant spider piloted by an evil artificer that kills people my making them wear cursed metal collars and then sends animated chakrams after them?

Coidzor
2016-03-30, 09:50 PM
I'm just imagining minor djinn tasked to endlessly circulate steam in gigantic engines now.

Maybe a giant spider piloted by an evil artificer that kills people my making them wear cursed metal collars and then sends animated chakrams after them?

Perhaps with a small army of 60,000 gp people?

Mikalo
2016-03-30, 10:40 PM
There are giant moving steampunky things yeah but we usually love mixing stuff with horror, I call it steampunk but I don't really know how to name it, it's a mix of fantasy, steampunk, horror, sci-fi but it really makes sense given the context. We hate being tied to one particular genre (and for the same reason we struggled to find the last two players, a lot of people we find want to play a The Lord of the Rings kind of story and the master is against writing something like it)

Gildedragon
2016-03-30, 10:49 PM
There are giant moving steampunky things yeah but we usually love mixing stuff with horror, I call it steampunk but I don't really know how to name it, it's a mix of fantasy, steampunk, horror, sci-fi but it really makes sense given the context. We hate being tied to one particular genre (and for the same reason we struggled to find the last two players, a lot of people we find want to play a The Lord of the Rings kind of story and the master is against writing something like it)
Sounds very New Weird.
:smallbiggrin: sweetsauce.
A horc with a parasol is very much in theme with that. Wand chamber is the parasol ribs? Staff as the parasol handle?

Mikalo
2016-03-30, 11:11 PM
I didn't think about the parasol :o
My gah the possibilities!
I had the idea of picking everything I like in my line of sight ence the idea of the gothic lolita, "Oh god I love that dress! Eheh >:D well, I'm sorry for the owner but now it's mine...because..uhm..I need it to survive in this big and cruel world obviously u_u"
Because seriously, if I find myself in a fantasy world I'm not going to find a job but still I would feel the need to have basic stuff, even if I'm not an evil person and I would feel bad for it, I'd just adapt to the situation.

Coidzor
2016-03-31, 02:15 AM
Sounds very New Weird.
A horc with a parasol is very much in theme with that. Wand chamber is the parasol ribs? Staff as the parasol handle?

New Weird?

Could have the parasol be a secret swordcane, too.

Mikalo
2016-03-31, 02:29 AM
I already have the flute though so the secret sword cane already is a thing u_u

KillingAScarab
2016-03-31, 08:40 AM
Sounds very New Weird.
A horc with a parasol is very much in theme with that. Wand chamber is the parasol ribs? Staff as the parasol handle?Have wand chambers been introduced into Pathfinder content? Regardless, this seems like a good time for my personal idea for a custom magic item umbrella: combine the Monster in the Dark's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0147.html) with Blade Runner's (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d163/). A source of bright light in your character's space when you need it, a source of concealment when you don't, protection from precipitation either way. Perhaps if you want to get really fancy, throw in (Leomund's/mage's) tiny hut for temperature regulation underneath it or animate objects to free up your hands. Thoughts?

Gildedragon
2016-03-31, 11:13 AM
New Weird?. a literary genre developed from "weird fiction" (lovecraft, poe, Wells...) that straddles genres like horror, science fiction, and fantasy.

Mikalo
2016-03-31, 12:50 PM
@KillingAScarab: If it has Hello Kitty on it and it can transform into a sort of weapon I'm going to buy it x'D
What about a gunbrella?

KillingAScarab
2016-03-31, 09:21 PM
@KillingAScarab: If it has Hello Kitty on it and it can transform into a sort of weapon I'm going to buy it x'D
What about a gunbrella?Firearms + umbrellas + magic? I'm going to need to keep this in mind for a wizard with the spellslinger archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/spellslinger).
http://www.imfdb.org/images/1/1f/BR013.jpg

I'm not very familiar with the firearms rules, right now. I'm guessing the pricing would be similar to a magic weapon, but I haven't looked into magic guns.

Mikalo
2016-03-31, 11:36 PM
They are a bit pricy, a non-gunslinger at first level can't afford one, they also use cartridges and you literally spend a fortune everytime you shoot.
In our setting they are as rare as magic items since almost no one really understand what technology is even if it is everywhere (long story short technology is almost a sort of plague) and adventurers are unheard of for specific reasons, if you adventure outside a city you are considered an outcast, someone to avoid.
I really can picture a gang of half-orcs with shotguns though, with a sort of steampunky car hahaha
I hope my horc finds one too, punching is fun but punching and shooting is double the fun

(the penguin does the magic umbrella thing right, it is almost a class feature for him)

ThinkMinty
2016-04-01, 05:43 AM

The typical shonen protagonist was instead Asuka, and that's why we like Asuka, even if she is a bratty jerk.

To answer the original question, cute half orc girls have big butts, at least in my head. That's more about cute girls having big butts than about half orcs particularly.

Anyways, somethin' in the realm of...

http://i.imgur.com/PehW1NFl.jpg
Source: Here (http://freshrhy.tumblr.com/post/135719612274/morgan-in-her-work-wear-as-drawn-by-incomparable).

KillingAScarab
2016-04-01, 09:57 AM
In our setting they are as rare as magic items since almost no one really understand what technology is even if it is everywhere (long story short technology is almost a sort of plague) and adventurers are unheard of for specific reasons, if you adventure outside a city you are considered an outcast, someone to avoid.
I really can picture a gang of half-orcs with shotguns though, with a sort of steampunky car hahaha
I hope my horc finds one too, punching is fun but punching and shooting is double the funNow I have more questions about the setting. Is technology somehow spreading? Would you need to disguise not only being a half-orc perhaps, but the entire party because you are outsiders? Would such a vehicle need to be hidden in a cave, as if you were in Back to the Future Part 3?

(the penguin does the magic umbrella thing right, it is almost a class feature for him)I have an illness which occasionally makes me model fictional characters using 3.X rules. It might be flaring up, again.

To answer the original question, cute half orc girls have big butts, at least in my head. That's more about cute girls having big butts than about half orcs particularly.Reminds me of a PvP comic (http://pvponline.com/comic/2005/01/08/jan-8-2005).

Source: Here (http://freshrhy.tumblr.com/post/135719612274/morgan-in-her-work-wear-as-drawn-by-incomparable).I followed some links from this/fell down the rabbit hole for a while, and while these are tumblr posts for WoW orcs, there's some good variation which might be useful.

Kelutra by rishnea (http://teechew.tumblr.com/post/141772275028/rishnea-finally-drew-kelutra-love-this-girl)

Kelutra and Trovos by isei-silva (http://isei-silva.tumblr.com/post/118606198316/they-both-have-messy-hair-and-i-love-it-teechew)

Living and undead orc by gristol (http://gristol.tumblr.com/post/141646217487/quick-color-work-for-my-orc-oc-pre-death-and)

Muscle-y lady orc by eleaun (http://eleaun.tumblr.com/post/141783175682/first-prize-winner-of-the-giveaway-click-on-for)

Rhokiro by daggmar (http://daggmar.tumblr.com/post/141887107927/rhokiro-has-a-belligerent-wind-rider-who-is)

Mikalo
2016-04-01, 10:26 AM
@KillingAScarab:
It's not spreading, remember the giant walking things I mentioned? They are created to die and when they do everyone get an esotic new toy. Cities are literally built with their "skin" and illuminated with their "hearts" but it's like giving a gun to a monkey, it could find the way to shoot but...eh.
Outsiders are seen as dangerous because there's a real plague rampaging through the largest continent, the desert and the north lands are a little bit more safe but not totally immune to it. Cities are really huge but close to the rest of the world and they have a strict code of conduct. It's not illegal to be an outsider, there are cities without walls and a lot of traveling merchants but "if it comes from outside is dangerous" and the fact of disguising myself because I'm a half orc is because people inside cities are used to be closed minded and not likely to be inclined to accept someone different. There are a lot of places though and not every city is the same, some are high fantasy some are dull and boring, there's a lot of politics going on though but the main concerns are surviving the plague and getting the giant first.

The steampunky car was a joke, there's no such a thing in our quest...yet

@ThinkMinty: yay for big butts!
Big butts reminds me of Elins from Tera though, they are loli with big butts and I don't want to get into that hahaha >_>

ShurikVch
2016-04-01, 01:31 PM
What's up, people?
Which site is it?
It's already a 4th page of this thread, yet nobody even mentioned Therkla?
Elan disapproving it!
http://pre15.deviantart.net/4b19/th/pre/i/2014/350/7/d/therkla_copy_by_allandotson-d8a21cm.jpg
by AllanDotson (http://allandotson.deviantart.com/)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MxvjilNC5_s/THGAh0smVjI/AAAAAAAAAbw/CerpxeU5eWA/s400/orc_chicks.jpg

EDIT:
In many ways they act like hotblooded Shonen protagonists, even. :smallamused:Young Half-Orc orphan live in a dwarven village, disrespec local elders, make pranks, run from angry mobs, and try to get attention of a girl who yell and hit him...

Coidzor
2016-04-01, 01:40 PM
Big butts reminds me of Elins from Tera though, they are loli with big butts and I don't want to get into that hahaha >_>

Well. Don't be a loli even if you dress like one and don't have an anatomically problematic/impossible ass.

Indeed, you don't even need to ever really mention the size or curvature of your character's upper or lower endowments 99/100 times.

Though I suppose if she's going bare-legged, then cankles might actually be worth mentioning.

Merellis
2016-04-01, 02:09 PM
HALF-ORCS!? (http://ghostgreen.tumblr.com/post/133123635682) I GOT YOUR HALF-ORCS (http://ghostgreen.tumblr.com/post/133699146127) RIGHT THERE.

Coidzor
2016-04-01, 02:33 PM
HALF-ORCS!? (http://ghostgreen.tumblr.com/post/133123635682) I GOT YOUR HALF-ORCS (http://ghostgreen.tumblr.com/post/133699146127) RIGHT THERE.

Other half, also Orc.

Merellis
2016-04-01, 02:35 PM
Other half, also Orc.

Yessss. I set it up, and someone took the bait.

Âmesang
2016-04-01, 05:20 PM
Bearded female dwarves comes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, which are a largely parodic take on fantasy literature.
If I remember correctly I believe the idea was also present in Tolkien's works; perhaps due to them being created by the Vala, Aulë, as opposed to being created by Ilúvatar as elves and men were (as the latter two had not yet awoken perhaps Aulë wasn't aware that women and children don't usually have beards).

Either way I actually like the idea as it helps to make dwarves distinctly different; the "Moxie" to the "Pepsi" of elves and the "Coke" of men (Sprite for halflings? Dr. Pepper for gnomes?).

Suddenly I want to play a half-orc similar to John Bender from The Breakfast Club, at least initially.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I'm of the belief that Charisma's connection to attractiveness isn't necessarily about physical beauty but also about how one presents oneself; a balor may not be the definition of beauty, but I doubt you'd ever meet one that slumped his shoulders or spoke in a quiet stutter. I guess it might help for me to imagine the average half-orc being not unlike my Charisma 7 Pathfinder human ranger; not necessarily "ugly," but perhaps plain in dress and appearance with a "strong, silent type" attitude, speaking only when such words are important (or sarcastic), focusing more on function than fashion and being very no-nonsense with a bit of grimness, content to stick to the back corners of taverns and not draw attention to oneself.

(I'm kind of reminded of Siegfried Schtauffen in SoulCalibur V swinging around his greatsword: "No need for words. I speak with this.")

Mikalo
2016-04-01, 06:29 PM
@Coidzor: I'm sure I will have my moment to make her shine but my group as it is now will react like this
Gnome: "Ewwww she is green! Like vomit"
Me: "But she is really good looking beside that"
Elf: "No one cares about your orc girl I am the most beautiful person here"
Dwarf: "derp derp eh eh what are you guys talking about? :) hihi"
*the gnome starts to laugh and brings everyone else with him*

Now you understand why I want to leave him in the middle of the desert? hahaha
He's my best friend and we talk and laugh everyday the entire day...but that gnome needs some half orc punishment

Gildedragon
2016-04-01, 07:10 PM
Ask him if he prepared feather fall if yes, pick him up and throw him like shotput

martixy
2016-04-01, 07:39 PM
How about... a half-orc cursed by a beautiful face.
Big, stronk, burly, gruff, heck, even a few scars, but pretty in a way-too-human way, consequently ugly to orcs and others of her kin(and too gruff/intimidating for humans).

Alternatively very strong and muscular, possibly short-tempered, like "rip your heart out soon as look 'atcha" mean looking, but really a gentle soul at heart. Perhaps somewhat of a scaredy cat, whose first reflex is punching whatever scared her(it's a racial heritage thing).

(I'm a fan of opposites if you can't tell.)

Mikalo
2016-04-01, 08:12 PM
@martixy: Why not both? tehe
Anyway as I understand it human standards are "global" standards. Nymphs are good looking for pretty much everyone and they are human like, same with elves and Succubus. Orcs mate with humans so they should at least find them good looking (I guess), obviously not everyone will find attractive tusks, pointy ears and the green skin but if I imagine a good looking Half-Orc I imagine her being good looking for both humans and orcs (that's at least what that pathfinder trait I have says)
Also not every human like the same thing, some may even find a nymph an ugly creature for some of her fey characteristics, some may find attractive a doe °_°

Oh and I almost forgot...Lineage 2 orcs are worth mentioning yup

http://img13.deviantart.net/a869/i/2008/327/1/5/my_lineage_ii_orc_by_tbgoku182.jpg

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-04-01, 09:06 PM
Well there are torches and sorcerers. Other than that can't think of any.

Don't forget motorcycles and other orcs!

KillingAScarab
2016-04-01, 09:08 PM
It's already a 4th page of this thread, yet nobody even mentioned Therkla?Therkla was certainly an unexpected break from type. I thought about bringing her up earlier, or rather her parents (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html).

EDIT:Young Half-Orc orphan live in a dwarven village, disrespec local elders, make pranks, run from angry mobs, and try to get attention of a girl who yell and hit him...So, Naruto, but without supernatural heritage? I guess that's plausible. After all, if you had to tell people you were actually a fox-demon not everyone would believe it.

HALF-ORCS!? (http://ghostgreen.tumblr.com/post/133123635682) I GOT YOUR HALF-ORCS (http://ghostgreen.tumblr.com/post/133699146127) RIGHT THERE.The scars on that florist make me think she works at Mushnick's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Shop_of_Horrors).

Anyway as I understand it human standards are "global" standards. Nymphs are good looking for pretty much everyone and they are human like, same with elves and Succubus.It's a bit like the anthropic principle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle), but for game design and fantasy creatures. Not every being should stretch the limits of your mind just by looking at them. Also, it's a good thing Lords of Madness said beholders reproduce by themselves; I don't want to have to find beauty in those eyes.

Mikalo
2016-04-01, 09:13 PM
" it's a good thing Lords of Madness said beholders reproduce by themselves; I don't want to have to find beauty in those eyes."

This is going to be my signature hahahaha

Hamste
2016-04-01, 10:11 PM

Ooh, other orcs are a good one. Motorcycles might be a bit hard to find in most pathfinder settings.

Coidzor
2016-04-01, 10:39 PM
@Coidzor: I'm sure I will have my moment to make her shine but my group as it is now will react like this
Gnome: "Ewwww she is green! Like vomit"
Me: "But she is really good looking beside that"
Elf: "No one cares about your orc girl I am the most beautiful person here"
Dwarf: "derp derp eh eh what are you guys talking about? :) hihi"
*the gnome starts to laugh and brings everyone else with him*

1. What on earth does your gnome player eat?

2. Well, obviously if you want to get into a "my character is prettier" competition with another player you need to just cut to the chase and go with something Nymphoid.

3. Is your dwarf actually a Pomeranian named Missile? :smallamused:

Mikalo
2016-04-01, 10:52 PM
1) He thinks everything different from the norm is fishy and not worthy to be considered. I am shocked he is going to play a gnome but if he feels like being gnomish...

2) Even a Nymph is not at his level, he is the most fabulous and if he isn't the most beautiful outside he will be the most beautiful inside. There's a reason he is going to play an Elf

3) Yes, yes she is

Dysjong
2016-04-02, 01:21 AM
I am myself currently playing a female half-orc in a homebrewed PF setting. Lvl 1 skulking slayer/ lvl 1 lore warden and with a 16 CHA. Funny part, she is the first female char i have played over the last ten years and i must admit, she is by far my favorit to play with, despite been playing lots of gestalt games in 3.5 in mid and epic lvl.

Nøk (a pun on the danish word "Køn", spelled backwards, which means pretty :D ) is a 17 year old half orc, who doesnt know where she comes from, having lived on the streets with her adopted father, a blind old snake man who didnt judge her. She is very practical in how she handle a situation and prefere stealth over direct confrontation. Having been abused and live as a slave under the duergar empire for 3 years, she has learned what it means to be a women the hard way. She is also a girl with a temperament; conflict, fight and war can make her go all out, making her rage (a house rule for the setting: orcs are drawn towards wars and conflict, something half-orcs also suffer from, altough to a lesser degree)

When i describe how she looks like, i usually refere to Gamore, a bit more meat and muscle, pointy ears, small tusks and a nose that could look like a pig nose. She always sleeps with her studded leather armor on, her heavy flail no longer then a arm reach from her and only the party's dwarf witch is allowed to share a room with her (In fact, she has nicknamed him a lucky dwarf). Her personality, i try and think "what would Nami from "one piece" do?".

Overall, Nøk is my favorit to play, mostly because she challenges myself sinds she is a female.

Mikalo
2016-04-02, 01:38 AM
@Dysjong: I love how you described your character! Hooray for Nok!

KillingAScarab
2016-04-02, 08:55 AM
This is going to be my signature hahahahaAnd so the beholder puns spread further. :smallamused: Sure, you may quote me.

Ooh, other orcs are a good one. Motorcycles might be a bit hard to find in most pathfinder settings.If it were an orc carrying a torch, would it count as a double weapon?

I am myself currently playing a female half-orc in a homebrewed PF setting. Lvl 1 skulking slayer/ lvl 1 lore warden and with a 16 CHA. Funny part, she is the first female char i have played over the last ten years and i must admit, she is by far my favorit to play with, despite been playing lots of gestalt games in 3.5 in mid and epic lvl.
Overall, Nøk is my favorit to play, mostly because she challenges myself sinds she is a female.I wasn't aware of skulking slayer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-orc/skulking-slayer-rogue-half-orc) before. The pass for human class ability seems quite handy. Shifty, unexpected charge and bold strike sound like a very powerful combination against sneak attack-able targets, assuming that's the direction you're going. Do you see that lore warden level as an indication more of Nøk's past or Nøk's present circumstances?

Dysjong
2016-04-02, 02:09 PM
KillingAScarab - i would see it a as mix of both, her past stil haunting her and with the way the story has unfolded so far, duergar been trying to influence some villages with the cunning use of flags :P

Mikalo
2016-04-02, 04:35 PM
That's actually pretty neat, we are going to level slowly but if it happens I'm picking a level or two too. We are going to level in a strange way, first level gestalt then back to leveling in the normal way. I am a lion totem urban brawler Barbarian // Bard and I'm planning to go Swordsage and Warblade in the future (for song of the white raven and shadow blade). I admit I've been inspired by that picture of Garona so I'm going for the black raven fluff

KillingAScarab
2016-04-02, 11:08 PM
duergar been trying to influence some villages with the cunning use of flags :PI recognize that Eddie Izzard (https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Eddie_Izzard#Dress_to_Kill_.281998.29) reference.

That's actually pretty neat, we are going to level slowly but if it happens I'm picking a level or two too. We are going to level in a strange way, first level gestalt then back to leveling in the normal way. I am a lion totem urban brawler Barbarian // Bard and I'm planning to go Swordsage and Warblade in the future (for song of the white raven and shadow blade). I admit I've been inspired by that picture of Garona so I'm going for the black raven fluffI thought that part of skulking slayer might pique your interest. It looks like I will have to find bardbarian tips elsewhere.

Guess that's OK, though, since I have been looking more into the sorcerer bloodlines. At this point I am more interested in draconic since my half-orc was a red dragon disciple, but it turns out there was an orc bloodline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/orc-bloodline) introduced. The last two bloodline powers aren't too interesting, but strength of the beast actually provides a greater total strength boost than dragon disciple. Fearless could also provide interesting roleplaying opportunity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0372.html).

Mikalo
2016-04-03, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure of what I'm going to pick though, probably I'm going to keep it with three classes. Swordsage Bardbarian has always been one of my things, I could almost write a guide on it *-* Shadow Blade is one of my favourite feats, in this particular case we are rarely going to see a magic item (the master said at the end of the quest we will have 3 each) so I'm going to boost strenght and dexterity as soon as possible (I rolled two 18 on both...Yes, I'm a lucky son of an orc)

Dysjong
2016-04-03, 05:16 AM
KillingAScarab - The entire Duergar empire idea, is based upon that reference actually, lead by the Iron king or as nomadic dwarfs prefere to sing; "The crooked king and the council of nine". Crooked sounds better then what it actually means