PDA

View Full Version : Player Etiquette in Curious Situations

TheWretched
2016-03-27, 12:17 AM
I just recently got back into D&D and my group and I just finished what I believe to be our 4th or 5th session and Ive hit a dilemma. There is usually drinking involved during the sessions but never in excess, long story short our DM had one too many and sold me a Bag of Holding for 500gp and the vendor also had a sentient weapon that I traded him for. I gave him nothing but a Scimitar, a Maul, and 3 potions of Fire Breathing for the special weapon. I feel as though I've taken advantage of our DM but should I just go with what happened or talk to the DM about what happened?

Sigreid
2016-03-27, 12:20 AM
I'd see how the DM feels about the trade now. It might not bother him, it might have him upset, or you may have not yet discovered that the merchant was desperate to get rid of the sentient weapon and the real price of the trade is coming.

pwykersotz
2016-03-27, 12:24 AM
I just recently got back into D&D and my group and I just finished what I believe to be our 4th or 5th session and Ive hit a dilemma. There is usually drinking involved during the sessions but never in excess, long story short our DM had one too many and sold me a Bag of Holding for 500gp and the vendor also had a sentient weapon that I traded him for. I gave him nothing but a Scimitar, a Maul, and 3 potions of Fire Breathing for the special weapon. I feel as though I've taken advantage of our DM but should I just go with what happened or talk to the DM about what happened?

That your asking the question means you should probably talk to him. It doesn't need to be heavy handed. Just a "Hey, are the trades you gave me cool, or do you want to modify them? Either way is fine." He'll respond with either "It's fine" or "Actually, we should probably modify that" and it'll all work out. Assuming he's reasonable, of course.

But yeah, the game is most fun when there's transparency and integrity across the table. You might be able to get away with sneaking extras, but your likely to have pangs of conscience about it. At least I would.

opticalshadow
2016-03-27, 10:53 PM
id let him know he shouldn't work the cash drawer when drunk.

if he says its fine to keep the items id trade them to a local city in return for a wizards tower or keep or something. because it just seems like a lot for that level to just have, id rather have a wizards tower (can you tell I normally play wizard?)

N810
2016-03-28, 01:04 PM
It's probably cursed. :belkar:

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 01:15 PM
Ask him. You can also suggest retconning that you got the merchant drunk when you made the deal so it makes sense :smallwink:

We actually did this in an Edge of the Empire campaign. Our alcoholic pilot got wasted with this arms dealer and came back with this massive, souped-up turret for my little droid to wield. At that point, he was an astromech so the gun was bigger than he was!

Serket
2016-03-28, 05:37 PM
I feel as though I've taken advantage of our DM but should I just go with what happened or talk to the DM about what happened?

Talk. Always talk. Because if there's no problem, talking wastes about a minute of time. But if there is a problem, then talking is necessary for successful resolution. Always talk, and always listen.

If there is a problem, and they don't want to retcon, Could be the weapon runs out of charges or something. :smallsmile: