PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Warlock - Kineticist Archetype

Milo v3
2016-03-27, 02:46 AM
Warlock - Kineticist Archetype
Warlocks are strange users of a magic that is not truly their own.
Hexes: Whenever a kineticist would gain a utility wild talent, they can instead choose to take a witches hex treating their kineticist level as their witch level. At 10th level, the kineticist may also choose to take major hexes in place of a utility wild talent. At 18th level, the kineticist may also choose to take grand hexes in place of a utility wild talent.

avr
2016-03-27, 06:36 AM
Maybe they could also use a few hexes unique to them? Some of the notable ones involved shatter, black tentacles, summon swarm or animate dead for example. Dunno if you'd want to trade something more away for the privilege.

Milo v3
2016-03-27, 06:40 AM
Maybe they could also use a few hexes unique to them? Some of the notable ones involved shatter, black tentacles, summon swarm or animate dead for example. Dunno if you'd want to trade something more away for the privilege.

I was thinking of just adding those sorta things as non-unique hexes, since it'd be cool for hexcrafters to get them. Alternatively I could be less lazy and make a kineticist/witch hybrid class where it has patrons instead of elements, and a lot of universal wild talents that covers the hex/invocation angle.

ladubois
2016-03-27, 05:28 PM
I was thinking of just adding those sorta things as non-unique hexes, since it'd be cool for hexcrafters to get them. Alternatively I could be less lazy and make a kineticist/witch hybrid class where it has patrons instead of elements, and a lot of universal wild talents that covers the hex/invocation angle.

I like that idea. If you don't do it, I might give it a shot. ...After the eight billion other things on my "to do" list... ^^'
Still, it's a nice idea as is, and can probably even work as a Pathfinder version of the 3.5e warlock given the similarities between the kineticist's and warlock's main powers. However, even though I'll admit that's about all it needs to get the feel, an archetype that only switches out one ability for another pre-existing one just seems... lacking. I second the idea of coming up with at least three to five warlock-specific hexes, or at least one or two other class features to switch out just to make it feel like an actual archetype and not a quick house rule.

avr
2016-03-27, 10:57 PM
I kind of think that some of those would actually work with burn though. I mean, black tentacles would be a waste of a major hex due to the way PF nerfed it - CR 10+ monsters are likely to shrug off the grapple attempts - but still be far too good to be at-will at 2nd level. Burn isn't the worst possible answer. Prerequisites would be another if you want to make them generally available I guess. Edit: or hexes which scale the way the flight hex does. It's not obvious what that'd be for black tentacles.

Also worth noting what stat the hexes will be using. Witches & hexcrafters use Int for hex saves, shamans use Wis (+Cha for some aspects), would a warlock use Con, Cha, Int, or what?