PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Hand Mirror of Life Trapping - Magical Item (PEACH)

Levism84
2016-03-27, 10:02 AM
I wanted to see if this looked balanced. I took the mirror of life trapping, scaled it down to a hand mirror, reduced the capacity to a single creature, and reduced the rarity by a single step. I didn't know if reducing the rarity would unbalance things, but it didn't make a lot of sense to maintain the same rarity and price with a reduced capacity (although the new mobility of the item could warrent maintaining the same rarity).

Thank you for your feedback.

Hand Mirror of Life Trapping
Wondrous item, rare

When this ornate 6-inch-diameter hand mirror is viewed indirectly, its surface shows faint images of creatures. The mirror weighs 1 pound, and it has AC 13, 5 hit points, and vulnerability to bludgeoning damage. It shatters and is destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points.

If you are holding the mirror, you can use an action to speak its command word and activate it. It remains activated until you use an action to speak the command word again.

Any creature other than you that sees its reflection in the activated mirror while within 5 feet of it must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or be trapped, along with anything it is wearing or carrying, in the mirror's extradimensional cell. This saving throw is made with advantage if the creature knows the mirror's nature, and constructs succeed on the saving throw automatically.

The extradimensional cell is an infinite expanse filled with thick fog that reduces visibility to 10 feet. Creatures trapped in the mirror's cell don't age, and they don't need to eat, drink, or sleep. A creature trapped within a cell can escape using magic that permits planar travel. Otherwise, the creature is confined to the cell until freed.

If the mirror traps a creature but its extradimensional cell is already occupied, the mirror frees the trapped creature to accommodate the new prisoner. A freed creature appears in an unoccupied space within sight of the mirror but facing away from it. If the mirror is shattered, the creature it contains is freed and appears in an unoccupied space near it.

While holding the mirror, you can use an action to call out to the trapped creature. The creature appears as an image on the mirror's surface. You and the creature can then communicate normally.

In a similar way, you can use an action to speak a second command word and free the creature trapped in the mirror. The freed creature appears, along with its possessions, in the unoccupied space nearest to the mirror and facing away from it.

Ralof
2016-03-27, 10:12 AM
Well if it can only store one creature at a time and doesn't kill anyoneit certainly seems fairly balanced. From what I remember there's some magical iron flask item that does a similar thing in the dmg (don't have it to hand so that's all I've got) maybe compare it against that :)