PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Isles - The Greater Principalities

Regitnui
2016-03-27, 11:04 AM
I'm casting a wider net than I normally do in the hopes of catching great minds from other systems.

In any case, the Lhazaar Principalities (Eberron) are a veritable smörgåsbord of pirates, fishermen and changelings, but we never really get told much about these isles. They extend along the entire east coast of Khorvaire, covering environments from the practically-polar Farlnen to the temperate forest island of Lorghalan and the Dreadwood Isle. Between the two, we have a High Prince with dreams of grandeur, a mysterious fog that disappears ships, treasure island and Khorvaire's supermax prison. But here's the thing. We can tell you the best wines come from Aundair, and the Karrnathi make a mean cheese, yet the Lhazaarites are tarred (and feathered) with the same brush; "pirates". Of course there are various flavours, but it's just pirates.

I'm basing a campaign in Port Verge. About midway up the chain, it seems to be on the 'Norway' latitude. The town itself is great. Thanks to a wikidot site, I've got material to build on and it's livening up nicely. But I don't know anything about the surrounds, the other principalities beyond the 4 or 5 one-paragraph briefings back in 3.5. So, in the noble DM tradition of outsourcing, I'm asking the Playground to help me make the Principalities more alive.

My main questions at this point;
1) This isn't Frostfell, but it's still colder than the Five Nations. What sort of crops or livestock can be bred here?

2) Fish, fish, rich in vital oils and Omega-3, but what sort of determined effort would you need to support a large town? Are we going to need fishing villages along the coast?

3) What interesting quests or campaigns did you pull off in the Principalities, or similar environments?

4) The Principalities are merfolk territory under the waves. How would you establish trading relations with a tribal species that can't walk on land?

5) Who's got a few good characters i can cast to flesh out the rest of my islands? I've got 6 Princes, including the patron of our party; Roe Farwynd.
* Prince Lorrister of the Heavenly Fleet
* Prince Talula Ironspine of the Mother Boldrei Principality
* High Prince Rygar ir'Wyrnarn of the Sea Dragons
* Prince Kel of the Gray Tide
* Prince Mika's Cloudreavers

So, thoughts?

sktarq
2016-03-27, 12:15 PM
I'm casting a wider net than I normally do in the hopes of catching great minds from other systems.1) This isn't Frostfell, but it's still colder than the Five Nations. What sort of crops or livestock can be bred here? Well I'm not sure that point verge is at a Norway height in latitude (many Earth maps favor the northern hemisphere since has most of the landmass) In addition the islands go down as far as jungle lands and trade would be likely. But if you are aiming for an Oslo like climate lets break it down. Wheat would be growable but may well be subject to failures in bad years. Until the introduction of the potato much of northern Europe had to deal with regular years of starvation. So if the potato has been introduced they would probably like that too. Also buckwheat has a shorter growing cycle which would be favored in such climes. I generally save "exotic" foods for other continents but quinoa is also pretty good in the often cold montane environments. Because many of the islands have mountains in the centre you need to think about that too. Other root vegetables like turnips and leeks would also be favored especially since they could be salted, pickled, or chilled over the long winters. Also the whole cabbage, kale, broccoli complex of veggies would be popular. As for livestock pigs, sheep (I'd recommend looking at the Icelandic and Scottish breeds), cattle (the hairy coo of Scotland would be fun (i use them in the Mror holds but could easily be an Island variety) and if you think cattle farming sounds a stretch the cattle farmers of Greenland before the Little Ice Age would disagree), horses (Icelandic Ponies, Shetland Ponies, and even Karelian roots to touch on here), goats (many options would work well either from Swiss breeds or the Kashmir producing types). Plus smaller animals like rabbits, poultry, etc. If you want to go a bit wilder in your livestock choices, reindeer and musk oxen are two pretty good real world choices. If you want to go even wilder Steller Sea Cow farming could be fancy. Bison could be easily modified as giant shaggy cows, as could a yak farming (especially inland and while I have yak native to Adar they could different in your world or imported) Also llama, and alpaca would fit the interiors if you wished. There are also several fantastic animals that could be brought in, Mammoth, Irish Elk, and Yukon Camels all jump out as good candidates extinct in our world but possibly domesticated in yours. Also Island varieties of animals could well have produced useful domesticated animals unseen in our world. Pygmy pachyderms (dwarf mammoth from Siberia or California, dwarf Elephants and mastodon from the Mediterranean for references), Something like an elephant bird or moa could be interesting though having giant flightless grazers like swans or geese (Med and Hawaii references) herded like domestic ducks could be a sight and could tie into a down industry. Also rodents of unusual size or rabbits the size of a small goat (South pacific and Balearics as reference).

.2) Fish, fish, rich in vital oils and Omega-3, but what sort of determined effort would you need to support a large town? Are we going to need fishing villages along the coast? Well if you have fishing villages remember what you need to fish, wood workers (an associated haulers) to build the boats (I doubt Whalebone and leather is appropriate as Lhazzar Galleon is a noted ship type so I'm sticking with wood). And you would also need a large industry to produce sail cloth, rope, and nets. This fiber industry would probably have to be pretty huge actually. A large sailing fleet is hugely fiber intensive. So while some may do with rowboats and short range fishing (places with say massive herring or salmon spawning runs or near shore cod banks like Iceland) most are going to be pulling in lots of fiber. In addition There is that wood I mentioned and at least in the Northern part of the Islands the (3.5e) map shows little in the way of woodland. Which could mean that the boats are built in the south and traded north, that the north only builds smaller boats, that silvaculture plantations are a source of significant market power and thus a source of local luminaries. And you would need large majorities of people to be working in fishing related fields to support a large town on fish-not because you need al lot of fishermen but because they need so many support industries but yes just as a large town would normally need farming villages large towns would either need supporting fishing villages or a massive food concentration (like a major salmon run, whaling hotspot etc)
Also another major issue is defence. This may drive people away from coast as the most likely target of the various pirate groups would be other islanders (just because they are available and frankly shipping goods through pirate infested waters and past the Mournland seems expensive/risky in comparison with shipping in Scion Sound river basin and lightning rail so ship traffic would be not enough to support the pirates full time). That means that coastal villages will be targets for raiders. Viking and Barbary pirate raiding drove people away from the coast except for fortified towns in European history so you could have that as a major issue in controlling population distribution in various parts of the isles to support your game (increase raiding threats in regions you want to have fewer larger town on the coast and decrease it where you want it more spread out).

3) What interesting quests or campaigns did you pull off in the Principalities, or similar environments? Depends what style of game are you aiming for? dungeon delveing? games of intrigue? are you playing dark? pulp?

.4) The Principalities are merfolk territory under the waves. How would you establish trading relations with a tribal species that can't walk on land?
Firstly calm shallow water would be an easy meeting point. Also trading barges with special markings on the hull could be favored (possibly with a similar system of in water loading decks like boats aimed a supporting scuba diving sometimes have for loading and unloading). Another option would be to follow the system found in parts of west africa-where each would side would make a pile of stuff in designated places. On alternating days (or in some cases morning and afternoon) each would approach the site and basically make an offer by changing what was in the piles when both sides signaled agreement they would take the pile provided by the other side. All without ever having met. Hang the piles from buoys and it may well work for merfolk/human relations. Then again any and all of these techniques and others could all be in use in different parts of the island chain as it is a huge place.

Regitnui
2016-03-27, 01:04 PM
Thank you for your input! The basic idea for the campaign is intrigue, aiming to take over from.the current High Prince to create a unified federation of principalities, then seguing into Last War 2.

Well I'm not sure that point verge is at a Norway height in latitude (many Earth maps favor the northern hemisphere since has most of the landmass)

Alright, what latitude would you put Port Verge as? I wasn't too fond of the Norway climate, but it was my best guess.

sktarq
2016-03-27, 04:52 PM
Since the top of the map (and thus most of frostfell) is cut off in Eberron maps I'm going to have to estimate where the map actually ends. But I would say you're not far off latitude wise (I was only a bit farther south-Hamburg in my estimate) the climate however is easy to change due to currents at that region. S. Norway would probably be pretty good with a notably warmer Regalport to play off as richer and nicer target (of raids or goal to move to)

Regitnui
2016-03-28, 01:33 AM
Since the top of the map (and thus most of frostfell) is cut off in Eberron maps I'm going to have to estimate where the map actually ends. But I would say you're not far off latitude wise (I was only a bit farther south-Hamburg in my estimate) the climate however is easy to change due to currents at that region. S. Norway would probably be pretty good with a notably warmer Regalport to play off as richer and nicer target (of raids or goal to move to)

Why that island can maintain a larger city... Thanks!

Kalmageddon
2016-03-28, 06:35 AM
As a veteran Eberron GM myself, I would like to help you with geography:
Whenever you are wondering what kind of climate you would find in each region of Khorvaire, I think it helps to know that Khorvaire is MASSIVE compared to Europe. I made a few calculations and basically, it has a latitude that goes from Iceland to southern Algeria. So southern states are tropical while northenmost ones are polar. All of this while being a single continuous landmass.
In light of that, plus the fact that the Lhazaaar principalities are not very well developed in any manual, I like to think of them as Scandinavia, with viking style pirates and raiders. I think you could lift most of the small details from Reinassance or early 1700 Scandinavia and be fine. Almost everything fits.

Regitnui
2016-03-28, 08:10 AM
As a veteran Eberron GM myself, I would like to help you with geography: I like to think of them as Scandinavia, with viking style pirates and raiders. I think you could lift most of the small details from Reinassance or early 1700 Scandinavia and be fine. Almost everything fits.

I can certainly see the higher or smaller principalities; the Bloodsails, Wind Whisperers and Cloudreavers in particular; engaging in 'Viking' to survive, while the larger ones; Seadragons, Black-Wings (diresharks renamed) and the mysterious gnomes on Lorghalen; trade and survive on their own. The basic goal of the party's patron is to forge all of them into a spirit of cooperation instead of competition.

About the only Renaissance thing that doesn't work in Eberron are the ever-requested guns. I'd put those (if I have to) under Cannith or Cyre.

sktarq
2016-03-28, 11:00 AM
Yes in regards to size-post war Breland is nearly the size of India+Bangladesh - Even the much smaller Thrane is larger than Chad. Even little Qbarra is on a similar scale to Texas or France. Khorvaire is huge. Thee island that Port verge is on (I want to say Questor or something similar) is probably near Finland sized. Could be a setting all its own.

Regitnui
2016-03-28, 12:12 PM
Yes in regards to size-post war Breland is nearly the size of India+Bangladesh - Even the much smaller Thrane is larger than Chad. Even little Qbarra is on a similar scale to Texas or France. Khorvaire is huge. Thee island that Port verge is on (I want to say Questor or something similar) is probably near Finland sized. Could be a setting all its own.

It is Questor. The Port Verge I've got was built on dwarven ruins, so there's dungeons for days, if a bit.monochromatic.

sktarq
2016-03-28, 02:28 PM
What I was really getting at is that there is enough space to build out the place in lots of ways. A different sub culture dominating the northern bay (with shallow water fishing techniques, less windswept, etc) than the eastern shore, western shore or southern peninsula (who could themselves all be different. They could be different races, or different varieties of humans from different parts of Sarlona, some could be monsterous species. Just think how many Wales or Belgium sized nations you could pack in there. Add in historical tribes, cities, etc and you could have eras where dwarf and exiled hobgoblin tribes both built castles against and raided each other for example.

Coidzor
2016-03-29, 11:49 PM
1) This isn't Frostfell, but it's still colder than the Five Nations. What sort of crops or livestock can be bred here?

Goats, pigs(can't have buccaneers without pork, after all, and vikings need boars to spear), cows, chickens. Turkeys don't range up into Canada in the wild, but there may be some ability to support domesticated turkeys in the less-frozen parts of the country.

I believe the Scandinavians traditionally farmed turnips and carrots like most of Europe, but I'm sure someone knows what they were able to grow in those reaches, along with what Siberians are able to grow today. What the Scottish grew and ate may also be of interest.

Oats and Barley are going to be the big grains, IIRC, though maybe Quinoa would also be of interest given its Andean origins. Potatoes might do well as well, given they originated in a relatively cold climate in the Andes? You'll need barley for them to have their own beer, of course, which is essential unless you want them to solely drink imported alcohol, kumis-like fermented dairy beverages, or mead.

If Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Sweden)is to be believed, millet, wheat, and flax are options, they may have some amount of linen production on larger islands.

2) Fish, fish, rich in vital oils and Omega-3, but what sort of determined effort would you need to support a large town? Are we going to need fishing villages along the coast?

Even if you don't need them, they probably are there.

4) The Principalities are merfolk territory under the waves. How would you establish trading relations with a tribal species that can't walk on land?

Well, I believe people at the water's edge and Merfolk poking their torsos above the water can communicate with one another, as well as able to talk from the water to people in not overly tall boats and vice versa. As for how to make trades... Lagoons come to mind, where merfolk can bring things to designated places of trade where it's easier for a ground of landbased people to get them out of the water. Or cranes with platforms that can be loaded and unloaded beneath the waves.

5) Who's got a few good characters i can cast to flesh out the rest of my islands? I've got 6 Princes, including the patron of our party; Roe Farwynd.

Well, there's always people who are going to prefer to be the big fish in the little pond than see someone else become the big fish over them or work together to be middling fish in a larger pond.

You might consider some that identify themselves as more of a tribe and less as an overgrown pirate crew, and some that view themselves the same way that the princes of the various Saxonies did during the days before German Unification.

Indeed, I'd say that every island that's able to at least have a fishing village on it is either its own "principality" or part of one, so there's all sorts of petty princes and lordlings you can have.

So, thoughts?

I must admit, I'd wanted to see the area expanded upon a bit when I first was reading up on Eberron, seeing as it's where Karrn the Conqueror came from in the first place, rather than from Sarlona directly.

Regitnui
2016-03-30, 01:38 AM
I must admit, I'd wanted to see the area expanded upon a bit when I first was reading up on Eberron, seeing as it's where Karrn the Conqueror came from in the first place, rather than from Sarlona directly.

It's ironic that the Lhazaar principalities remain one of the least substantial regions in Khorvaire, since they practically own the eastern half of Khorvaire's sea routes. Xen'drik is the Continent of Secrets, and we know more about it than the Principalities. Perhaps the end result of all of this will be a lore document for the Pirate Isles... The top six towns should at least have maps. Regalport is the capital, for heavens sake.

Gildedragon
2016-03-30, 03:21 AM
1) This isn't Frostfell, but it's still colder than the Five Nations. What sort of crops or livestock can be bred here? Rye, Barley, Potatoes, Wooly Cows, Sheep, Hairy Pigs, Mushrooms, Juniper for gin

2) Fish, fish, rich in vital oils and Omega-3, but what sort of determined effort would you need to support a large town? Are we going to need fishing villages along the coast? Probably, or fishtraps along rivers and intertidal areas, maybe clam gardens

Intertidal offerings/tradesites. Stilt villages. Partially submerged structures where half is deep water, the other half solid ground.
Communication can be done via weighted messages, or cages like lobster/crab traps.

Princes. probably somewhat related by blood. how?

Regitnui
2016-03-30, 03:36 AM
Princes. probably somewhat related by blood. how?

A Prince of the principalities isn't necessarily royal, just the guy with the biggest fleet in the area. Rygar's human, Kel is a changeling, and Mika's a dwarf.

Gildedragon
2016-03-30, 04:04 AM
A Prince of the principalities isn't necessarily royal, just the guy with the biggest fleet in the area. Rygar's human, Kel is a changeling, and Mika's a dwarf.

I see. Well what weaves them together then? A few might step outside political maneuvering, but I'd expect folk that have their fleets and areas of influence grow enough for them to claim the title are at least somewhat adept at politics. Marriages between their families; spies in each others' ships; gifts to each other; shared mythic histories etc...

about the last one: the legends they use to link themselves to mythic characters needn't be true at all. Countless european warlords, for example, claimed descent from Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great to legitimize their rise to power and paint it as inevitable. A human leads the "sea dragons" probably with claims of dragon blood either in his veins or on his ancestors' hands. And it isn't unlikely two claim shared descent from one same figure... maybe they play nice with each other out of a desire to fortify the legend they have been cultivating about themselves; it is an uneasy truce, but for now they play nice and send each other gifts and establish trade deals...

Regitnui
2016-03-30, 07:01 AM
Rygar ir'Wyrnarn claims descent from the royal line of mainland Khorvaire; the unifier of the Five Nations. Prince Roe Farwynd has witnesses to attest she's a bloon descendant of Lhazaar, the woman who colonized the Principalities. Lorrister is half-celestial with the wings to prove it. Mika is convinced she's been blessed by the god called the Devourer. So yeah, plenty of mythic personalities.

Coidzor
2016-03-30, 09:19 PM
IIRC, the last time a half-dragon was made in Aerneal, the dragons almost went Xen'drik on them, and only didn't because the Elves collaborated with them to exterminate everyone who had ever worked for, known, or was even distantly and indirectly related to the Vol, the family of the Dragonmark of Death.

So claiming descent from dragons may not be something that would be done.

Gildedragon
2016-03-30, 09:24 PM
IIRC, the last time a half-dragon was made in Aerneal, the dragons almost went Xen'drik on them, and only didn't because the Elves collaborated with them to exterminate everyone who had ever worked for, known, or was even distantly and indirectly related to the Vol, the family of the Dragonmark of Death.

So claiming descent from dragons may not be something that would be done. Now that you mention it it does ring a bell, and you're right that does seem like it would be a terrible idea...

sktarq
2016-03-31, 01:55 AM
The celestial dragons however would be totally ligit. Saying they are connected to Sybraris in different way than the dragonmarked houses.

Gildedragon
2016-03-31, 12:28 PM
Hmmm as for characters.
A warforged named Driftwood; he washed up on one of the islands at some point around the end of the war, his memories scrambled some. Has no interest whatsoever in braving the sea ever again. Not wholly unlikely he has secrets: both from things he saw underwater, and about the War; especially in the sealed compartment he doesn't remember he has

Regitnui
2016-03-31, 12:39 PM
That's actually pretty good. I had a warforged blacksmith planned... Maybe I can merge the concepts...

Iceheart2112
2016-04-02, 07:35 AM
As far as fluff goes the Blade of the Flame trilogy is set predominantly in the Principalities. And was a decent read to boot. It's been a while since I've read it so that's about all I can remember atm

Gildedragon
2016-04-02, 11:19 AM
A pair of aasimar brothers with angel faces and fiendish reputations; and their changeling best friend. People assume it's three brothers. Two fighters and a rogue or factotum class wise. Alignment wise affable CE to CN

sktarq
2016-04-02, 12:49 PM
Far from the coast on the high spine of an island sits a monastary of Blood of Vol. Its leader claims to have traveled to the far lands of Adar or Argonessen (rumours vary) and returned having conquered death in some way. Few pass the tests of the monastary and the exposure mummys (see Incan style) of the failed initiates and the foes of the Master dot the paths into their upland home.

Mechanically leader is a LN Ranger/Monk/Cloud Anchorite (10)(see Frostburn supplement)

His/Her followers try to follow in their leaders footsteps and act as muscle and research aides to those followers of Blood of Vol who expect enough scrutiny that undead aides could be problematic.

Vol sees them as useless to her core vision but a useful tool to act as a carrot to her own followers and a way of acting in places where undead would be inappropriate.

Regitnui
2016-04-02, 01:48 PM
Far from the coast on the high spine of an island sits a monastary of Blood of Vol. Its leader claims to have traveled to the far lands of Adar or Argonessen (rumours vary) and returned having conquered death in some way. Few pass the tests of the monastary and the exposure mummys (see Incan style) of the failed initiates and the foes of the Master dot the paths into their upland home.

Mechanically leader is a LN Ranger/Monk/Cloud Anchorite (10)(see Frostburn supplement)

His/Her followers try to follow in their leaders footsteps and act as muscle and research aides to those followers of Blood of Vol who expect enough scrutiny that undead aides could be problematic.

Vol sees them as useless to her core vision but a useful tool to act as a carrot to her own followers and a way of acting in places where undead would be inappropriate.

Alternatively, they're a great stalking horse for the people looking for Erandis' real stronghold. Why go to [spoilered] when there's this big spooky castle filled with death worshippers? Where else would a lich be based?

I do know exactly where the real stronghold is. Don't correct me.

sktarq
2016-04-02, 02:45 PM
That could certainly be another benefit. A very fun one.

Also since the leader traveled feel free to use exotic building styles, weapons, food, etc. Maybe even brought back followers with odd traditions (psionics, rare prestige classes etc) if you want.

For me the kicker is that they aren't necessarily evil which gives the rest an easy thing to point to as a goal to gain allies.

And what Vol herself is up to is always a fun DM choice.

Regitnui
2016-04-02, 03:43 PM
And what Vol herself is up to is always a fun DM choice.

Short of encountering her fully hostile and party weapons drawn, I would probably have her meet the party while knitting and wearing an illusion that makes her look like the elf she was. Just for the sheer mental dissonance. Perhaps have a bodyguard of hers wearing a Jayne Hat that she knitted herself and is very proud of.

nedz
2016-04-02, 08:43 PM
If you are using Norway as your analog: bear in mind that Norway is warmed by the gulf stream. I don't know how the oceans of Eberron work or if this will affect verisimilitude ?

Regitnui
2016-04-02, 11:53 PM
If you are using Norway as your analog: bear in mind that Norway is warmed by the gulf stream. I don't know how the oceans of Eberron work or if this will affect verisimilitude ?

Really I have no clue. All I know is that the Principalities are subtropical at one end and subarctic on the other.

sktarq
2016-04-03, 12:23 AM
The joy of currents-they can be used to create the weather you want in the place you need.

Regitnui
2016-04-03, 01:30 AM
The joy of currents-they can be used to create the weather you want in the place you need.

The warm current north from equator is the easy solution. But how does that interact with the islands and where would the cold water return?

Gildedragon
2016-04-03, 12:23 PM
Another set of characters and locales
An island of Rakshasas (a cross between the Isle of Circe, the Lotus Eaters and the Sirens in the Oddysey): A Rakshasa sorceror has left the demon wastes and set up shop on a barren rocky island on the frozen seas for unknown motives. The island is enchanted to hide the piles of bones and barren rock under the guise of lush greenery and majestic manor. A lighthouse tries to lead ships into their doom on its shores.
The raskshasa is served by drugged or dominated shipwreckees and their reanimated and glammered corpses.
If the players have the disgrace to meet the Lord of the False Island they will be surprised that the Rakshasa doesn't attack first. Rather he appears to be a rather insane, but affable host; who might even give them quests, but does all he can to keep the adventurers on the island entertaining him. Riddle contests, grand balls, majestic feasts, long discussions on magical theory...

Regitnui
2016-04-03, 01:53 PM
Another set of characters and locales
An island of Rakshasas (a cross between the Isle of Circe, the Lotus Eaters and the Sirens in the Oddysey): A Rakshasa sorceror has left the demon wastes and set up shop on a barren rocky island on the frozen seas for unknown motives. The island is enchanted to hide the piles of bones and barren rock under the guise of lush greenery and majestic manor. A lighthouse tries to lead ships into their doom on its shores.
The raskshasa is served by drugged or dominated shipwreckees and their reanimated and glammered corpses.
If the players have the disgrace to meet the Lord of the False Island they will be surprised that the Rakshasa doesn't attack first. Rather he appears to be a rather insane, but affable host; who might even give them quests, but does all he can to keep the adventurers on the island entertaining him. Riddle contests, grand balls, majestic feasts, long discussions on magical theory...

Why served by corpses when you could have succubi and incubi? But that sounds like a heckuva lot of fun. There are enough 'empty' islands that it could work quite well.

sktarq
2016-04-03, 02:47 PM
The warm current north from equator is the easy solution. But how does that interact with the islands and where would the cold water return?

Easy, a warm water current flows across from Sarlona, over to QBarra and northward (Gulf or Japanese Current) and a second coming down from Frostfell down the headland (like a Greenland current) - mix and match which is dominant at particular location. At will

Gildedragon
2016-04-03, 03:07 PM
Why served by corpses when you could have succubi and incubi? But that sounds like a heckuva lot of fun. There are enough 'empty' islands that it could work quite well.

Maybe Rakshasa has left the courts and Demonwaste in disgrace; maybe doesn't like dealing with other outsiders; maybe Rakshasa is eccentric even for rakshasas and finds undead mortals to be more entertaining (thinking Scar from the Lion King when he was talking with the skull)

Alternative for island of undead. An ostensibly self contained isle. Only fishing boats, mostly farming oriented. Fields are tilled by (disguised) undead. The living live lives of leisure or mental-stat labor. There is a certain ethos to work and sustain the family even in death. The island Lord might be a bit... Lichy

island of the deep ones. People are friendly, fresh water abounds, vegetation is lush, fish are plentiful, Sands are an eerie red or green. they make strange bloody sacrifices to strange gods to ensure the prosperity of their land. The merfolk in the waters are aligned with these worshipers of an unnamed god

Lycanthrope colony where they have hidden from the Silver Flame. Are generally peaceful but will do anything to remain hidden. Including turning or killing visitors they cannot trust to keep quiet. Weresharks?

Coidzor
2016-04-03, 10:33 PM
Were-Orca, Were-Dolphins, and Darfellan?

Regitnui
2016-04-04, 01:55 AM
Were-Orca, Were-Dolphins, and Darfellan?

Seawolves. Basically vicious, scavenging wereseals. No, not the kind you see in the aquarium, the kind that eat penguins alive.

goto124
2016-04-04, 02:38 AM
L-leopard seals?

*runs away (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/20/article-0-1B605C86000005DC-378_964x639.jpg)*

Coidzor
2016-04-04, 03:28 AM
Seawolves. Basically vicious, scavenging wereseals. No, not the kind you see in the aquarium, the kind that eat penguins alive.

IIRC they're more like reverse wereseals, where their natural form is the monster and they just take human form to go onto to land and booze it up every now and then.

Regitnui
2016-04-04, 04:39 AM
IIRC they're more like reverse wereseals, where their natural form is the monster and they just take human form to go onto to land and booze it up every now and then.

Still weresomethings. The direction doesn't really matter. Or I suppose that'd make them sealweres.

And yes, they're like leopard seals.

Coidzor
2016-04-04, 01:42 PM
Definitely need a population of assweres somewhere hiding out in Eberron now. Would be an interesting twist on lycanthropic paranoia to have more -were creatures instead of just were- creatures.

sktarq
2016-04-04, 03:15 PM
You do realize that depression jokes would follow such a place.. . Let alone issues of people thinking you were making fun of the American Democratic Party. A slow-loris-were on the other hand.