PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Totems

Shnigda
2016-03-27, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if it's possible to get both the Spirit Lion Totem and the Wolf Totem on the same build or if that isn't RAW legal. If not, is there another good way of getting Pounce and Improved Trip?

eggynack
2016-03-27, 12:25 PM
Perfectly legal. Those two don't conflict at all.

OldTrees1
2016-03-27, 12:36 PM
Questionaire:
Are they multiple choices from the same option? (Say 2 spirit totems)
Do they trade away the same thing?

Since the answer is no in both cases, they are perfectly legit.

Inevitability
2016-03-27, 12:58 PM
If your DM is opposed to this from a fluff perspective, just point out that D&D nature is filled with chimeric critters. You've got owlbears, sea tigers, hippogriffs, griffons, howler wasps, chimerae, dracolisks, bearhounds... why shouldn't there be a lionwolf out there?

Darrin
2016-03-27, 01:38 PM
If someone complains about multiple totems, then ask them if they can point out an example of a totem pole with only one animal spirit on it? Or ask them why nature-based religions have to adhere to strict Western-style monotheism?

From a more practical standpoint, you can write into your backstory that your parents come from two different tribes, and thus you were encouraged to worship two different tribal totems.

fikoantunes
2016-03-27, 03:32 PM
Perfectly legal. Those two don't conflict at all.

Indeed. Though as a DM I wouldn't allow it if I sensed something cheesy coming from the player :smallbiggrin: