PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need advice on multiclassing a rouge/sorcerer

Anfears
2016-03-27, 03:17 PM
Ok so basically what i am trying to do is make a viable rouge with the benefit of spells. The reason i want to multiclass sorcerer is for the subtle spell meta magic. My character is mute so he is unable to cast most spells. His original concept was a mute spell caster but i did not know of the sorcerers ability at the time so i did not think it would be possible to do such a thing. But now that my buddy has shown me this meta magic, i relay would like to multiclass him to make a fusion of his original concept and his rougish identity. He is a level 1 rouge and his stats are Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12 and Cha 14. Any advice on how i should do his level progression or on what class features are relay important would help out a bunch

wunderkid
2016-03-27, 03:21 PM
Two levels rogue. Gets you cunning action. This lets you cast spells and bonus action to hide. This will let you survive to get your following levels in sorcerer.

JellyPooga
2016-03-27, 05:42 PM
First up; you want to take Sorcerer as your 1st level. Saving Throw Proficiencies in Charisma and Constitution are too good to pass up.

Second; you want to get to Sorcerer 3rd as soon as possible for that Subtle Spell Metamagic.

Third; Grab Rogue 2 next. Cunning Action is all sorts of awesome.

This puts you at Sorcerer 3/Rogue 2 at character level 5. This is a solid mutliclass build.

My advice (and take it with a pinch of salt), would be to take Rogue to level 13. This not only gets you level 4 Spells, but you grab the level 13 Arcane Trickster ability.

After that, Sorcerer all the way. By level 20, you're only casting level 5 spells, but you've got a decent amount of Sneak Attack, Reliable Talent and Arcane Trickster shenanigans backing up your by no means weak spellcasting.

Anfears
2016-03-27, 06:33 PM
First up; you want to take Sorcerer as your 1st level. Saving Throw Proficiencies in Charisma and Constitution are too good to pass up.

Second; you want to get to Sorcerer 3rd as soon as possible for that Subtle Spell Metamagic.

Third; Grab Rogue 2 next. Cunning Action is all sorts of awesome.

This puts you at Sorcerer 3/Rogue 2 at character level 5. This is a solid mutliclass build.

My advice (and take it with a pinch of salt), would be to take Rogue to level 13. This not only gets you level 4 Spells, but you grab the level 13 Arcane Trickster ability.

After that, Sorcerer all the way. By level 20, you're only casting level 5 spells, but you've got a decent amount of Sneak Attack, Reliable Talent and Arcane Trickster shenanigans backing up your by no means weak spellcasting.

That sounds great but the campaign has already begun so i already have a level in rouge so should i go for cunning action then level 3 sorcery or should i got for the level 3 sorcery and then get cunning at level 5?

bid
2016-03-27, 07:39 PM
i already have a level in rouge
Then take a level in bleu and never look back.

Anfears
2016-03-27, 07:56 PM
a level in bleu
i have no idea what that is

Rakoa
2016-03-27, 08:01 PM
Then take a level in bleu and never look back.

Whooooosh!

DivisibleByZero
2016-03-27, 08:04 PM

That's him trying to be funny by making fun of your minor typo of rogue (to rouge).

As for the question, I'd get cunning from r2 (and maybe casting and a second sneak attack die from r3, maybe not, your choice), then s3.

Corran
2016-03-28, 02:56 AM
Does BB have a V component? I think it does, although AFB right now. Well, if it does, try to convince your DM to houserule it so that it doesnt, or else there wont be much use you can make out of this cantrip (spamming BB with subtle is not a viable plan, unfortunately), and sorcerogues can make the best out of this cantrip. If you manage to convince your DM to houserule it (since you maybe deserve some houseruling in your favor due to this self imposed drawback -being mute-), or if BB does not require a V-component and I am wasting my time writing these lines, you can do the following very simple and well known thing: take twinned as one of your metamagic (sorcerer level 3), take two levels of rogue, so that at 5th character level (sorcerer3/rogue2) you can cast twinned BB (at the cost of 1sp) on two adjacent to you enemies, and then disengage as a bonus action (via cunning action) and move away from them. A very good use of your sorcery points, and one of the best things a skirmisher can do. Best employed against enemies who dont have any other allies of yours adjacent to them. Or against archers that have a very weak melee. Or...etc...

My other suggestion, although that is mostly out of persona; preference and playstyle and is not necessarily the most optimal thing to do (though I dont think it is a bad idea), is to advance to sorcerer 7 asap, after you take 2 levels of rogue for being a rogue2/sorcerer3 at 5. So that would put you at sorcerer7/rogue2 at character level 9. The reason for this is to get greater invisibility asap, a spell that works trully great with the rogue's cunning action (hide), making you practically untargetable (save area effects, you starting as a rogue and thus having dex save proficiency can help here) as long as your stealth rolls are decent (expertise in stealth mandatory, expertise in acrobatics for escaping grapples recommended though there are other good options too). Anyway, if I am to leave you with sth after reading this paragraph, that would be that greater invisibility can work great for you since you hae cunning action. Also you can use twinned spell with it and cast it on an ally of yours (another rogue/GWM/SS preferably). Last but not least, advancing in sorcerer levels increases the amount of your sorcery points, and sorcerers (even gish-type sorcerers) rely significntly on their sorcerer points.

If you indeed follow a heavy-sorcerer progression, which will give you access to higher level spell slots, taking a level in warlock for armor of agathys can help you a lot in terms of survivability (and damage). Just upcast it with one of your higher level spell slots before entering the dungeon or before a difficult battle. Your squishy skirmisher needs a reason to make enemies not go for him (in case they can follow after his cunning actions - constant movement is key), and the extra hp can prove a life saver, I tell you that from experience!

Since you are a mute, maybe the wisest thing would be to stop at sorcerer 7 or 8, and then advance in rogue, so that you wont find yourslelf at difficult situations where casting spells with V-components is concerned. Remember, you cannot use most other metamagic options on spells you use subtle spell with. This restriction can really hurt what a sorcerer can do with his spells and metamagics combined, and will weaken you, as a lot of power of this class derrives exactly from this, how to use spells and metamagics combined. Also, restricting your sorcery points to 7 or 8 might be a different issue, one which in contrary gets worse the less sorcerer levels you have.

Anyway, what rogue archtype were you thinking? Or even better, give us a broader picture of your character if you can and what you want him being able to do, there are many ways to go with a build, and a better picture might help.

Anfears
2016-03-28, 05:53 AM
Anyway, what rogue archtype were you thinking? Or even better, give us a broader picture of your character if you can and what you want him being able to do, there are many ways to go with a build, and a better picture might help.

For his archetype i was thinking of either assassin for the assassinate ability or the swashbuckler from the scag for rakish audacity. I picture him as being a fairly in your face rouge who dual wields rapiers and uses a mixture of melee and aoe spells like cloud of daggers or buffs and debuffs like mage armor,crown of madness etc and then dashes out of combat range with a cunning action. i wanted him to be a rouge who uses subterfuge and charm to get his way out of combat and straightforward action in combat if that makes sense. i never envisioned this character as one who slinks in the shadows

Anfears
2016-03-28, 05:21 PM
Also how important are ability score improvements? because it seems the route i am going i will be getting them late

Serket
2016-03-28, 06:04 PM
Also how important are ability score improvements? because it seems the route i am going i will be getting them late

Pretty important. Dual-wielding rapiers, for example, requires a feat. And that feat plus rapiers is a waste compared with shortswords and +1 dex bonus, so getting it only makes sense after you max dex out.

I almost suggested war caster for the S components, but then I remembered you're Subtle Spelling everything so you don't need it.

On the bright side, the right spells (http://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/minor-illusion) can almost give you speech, which is nice.

I'd go Arcane Trickster if it were me. More spells, more fun. If not that, then I recommend Swashbuckler.

Anfears
2016-03-28, 07:03 PM
ok i think i have narrowed my choices down to two options. both will go rogue 2/sorcerer 3 for a good base. then I can either go for rogue 13 for uncanny dodge,evasion and reliable talent and go down the arcane trickster archetype for magic progression. then finish it off with the last four levels in sorcerer. Or i can rush sorcerer seven for more sorcery points,elemental affinity and as stated above greater invisibility early on and then go rogue 13 arcane trickster. Tough choices but i have a while decide