PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5th Edition Dragoon

DracoKnight
2016-03-27, 03:55 PM
So, I saw a thread in the 5e forums about how to make a Dragoon player character, and I realized that this is a niche that's kind of hard to fill in 5e with the current class and spell selections available to the players. So, here's my take on what a 5th Edition Dragoon (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sb_X4ZJO0WEeA5GrBc5fWcQG1MLP6vnpl24FLsVzE20/edit?usp=sharing) would look like as a Martial Archetype :smallbiggrin:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-03-27, 04:00 PM
So, I saw a thread in the 5e forums about how to make a Dragoon player character, and I realized that this is a niche that's kind of hard to fill in 5e with the current class and spell selections available to the players. So, here's my take on what a 5th Edition Dragoon (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sb_X4ZJO0WEeA5GrBc5fWcQG1MLP6vnpl24FLsVzE20/edit?usp=sharing) would look like as a Martial Archetype :smallbiggrin:

*bookmarks* I like it. I don't think it has too many balancing issues, and those issues are mainly a direct result of the Fighter being the weakest class in 5e.

Requiemforlust
2016-03-27, 04:04 PM
I like it, but it feels like a one-trike pony.

Professor Gnoll
2016-03-27, 04:15 PM
I like it, but it feels like a one-trike pony.
The Dragoon sort of is a one-trick pony, though. They jump and use spears. That's it, really.

NaitoCorvo
2016-03-27, 05:27 PM
I just read the whole thing...well.
is not bad but, it's actually missing on the true flavor of the dragoon knights. being able to jump, they are supposed to not only seize the ground but the sky as well, making them far more apt for not only covering ground but for making air assault or combating any kind of flying enemy. as much of this is maybe based from FF games, one that offers a lot of deepth on dragoon knight skills is Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 for kain's aerial control.

Now...a good thing of this, reading on what you made, you just inspired me for another monk tradition: Skywalkers/Heaven's Strider (however you want to read it).

Final Hyena
2016-03-27, 08:14 PM
Aerial Incursion
jump into the air a distance equal to three times your Strength score.

Perhaps clarify this (I assume the distance is in feet).

Rebound Assault
jump from your current target to a target within 20 feet of you.

Perhaps give yourself immunity against aoo's from the guy you just used aerial incursion on.

Retaliation From Above

Ignoring that this is vague (do you need to take at least that much damage, and do subsequent attack in a turn/round/multiple rounds count) the whole feature gets worse as you get better...

Oramac
2016-03-28, 09:23 AM
Starting at 7th level, when you use your Aerial Incursion feature and your target makes their Strength saving throw, if they fail their saving throw, they are knocked prone in addition to taking damage.

The bold and italic parts contradict each other.

Other than that, I like it.

DracoKnight
2016-03-28, 02:34 PM
The bold and italic parts contradict each other.

Other than that, I like it.

Haha. Oops. I will fix that to be what was intended.

EDIT: fixed it

Grayfigure
2016-04-21, 12:08 PM
We were both inspired by the same thread, heh. This is what I came up with:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483137-PEACH-Dragoon-a-Final-Fantasy-themed-Fighter-subclass

Cancer115
2016-04-22, 04:46 PM
Had a friend who wanted something along these lines. Think Imma use this!

DracoKnight
2016-05-07, 02:43 PM
Had a friend who wanted something along these lines. Think Imma use this!

Awesome! Feel free to! Let me know if anything is over/underpowered :smallsmile: