PDA

View Full Version : Hoverboards! (Item in the Playground)

Clamps
2007-06-20, 11:20 PM
Hoverboard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYFh25EtPmY)

You see a pink board, made out of some material you've never seen before. On one side, are two metal disks, and on the other side, some decorative yellow stripes and the word HOVER. It's thirty inches long, and about eight inches wide.

History (Oceanfire): The hoverboard has been a staple of Triexcomian Pop Culture for centuries. While originally a children's toy, it has seen increasing popularity among adults, as it is a fast and easy way for wizards lacking teleportation spells to get around in the unfamiliar territory of the Southern Lands. It's generally regarded as a precursor to the Airlander longboards, but is more widely seen because it is cheaper.

History (Other campaign settings): Gnomes.

Mechanics: The hoverboard is normally just an ordinary board. However, when dropped or tossed on the ground, it floats six inches into the air. It can hold a weight of about three hundred pounds, and can not move horizontally on its own power. If a humanoid creature gets on the hoverboard, however, he can kick against the ground, and push the board forward. This allows the hoverboard to move at a speed of of 30 feet plus 10 feat per strength bonus a round.

If the hoverboard is flown into a sharply arching surface, it will fly up it, and flip over. Riders must make a DC 15 reflex save to avoid taking d4 damage from falling. If a rider makes a DC 25 reflex save, he can flip the board, and jump on it in midair. This is considered quite stylish.

The hoverboard can hover over any surface, but can only be kicked forward on a solid surface the rider can safely touch. If the hoverboard is over water or some other unkickable surface, a new way of pushing it forward must be figured out (treat it as an object with wheels).

When picked up, the hoverboard automatically ceases to function until thrown or dropped again, and can be stored safely.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, floating disk, permanency, Price 1,000 gp

Airlander Longboard coming soon. It'll be a souped-up version, basically.

Thoughts?

Triaxx
2007-06-21, 07:49 AM
Interesting. I'd always used levitate as opposed to floating disc. And when we cross water, we use Gust of Wind as a method of propulsion.

blackout
2007-06-21, 08:03 AM
DAMN GNOMES! :smallfurious: Always one step ahead of us, making stuff up to not share with us! Oh, we'll show them! *punts a gnome into the ocean*

...Erm... I mean... Niiice idea!

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-21, 09:58 AM
What self respecting adventurer would be seen riding around on a pink board? :smallamused:

CabbageTheif
2007-06-21, 05:20 PM
here is what i would do to alter it a little bit. take it or leave it

if the user of the board has under 14 dex (<+2 ab. mod) then they can only use the hoverboard in a straight line. if you have a +2 mod or higher for dex, however, you can turn in mid flight.

ALSO i was thinking about this with a regular skateboard- mounted combat feats aplicable for boards? how does that sound?

Clamps
2007-06-21, 09:59 PM
here is what i would do to alter it a little bit. take it or leave it

if the user of the board has under 14 dex (<+2 ab. mod) then they can only use the hoverboard in a straight line. if you have a +2 mod or higher for dex, however, you can turn in mid flight.

ALSO i was thinking about this with a regular skateboard- mounted combat feats aplicable for boards? how does that sound?

Agreed on the second count. I don't think you need a lot of Dex to turn. You don't in the real world on a skateboard, right? Maybe under 8 Dex, but turning a hoverboard isn't much of a feat. Besides, they're kids toys.

Setra
2007-06-21, 10:04 PM
What self respecting adventurer would be seen riding around on a pink board? :smallamused:
Only real men like pink.

Matthew
2007-06-22, 07:37 PM
Gah? I hope that's not a euphemism for something... *mind scrub*

Triaxx
2007-06-23, 07:10 AM
One must be securely manly to ride a pink board.

Fizban
2007-06-23, 11:17 PM
The nice thing about a hoverboard is that it overcomes the reason roller skates, skateboards, and even bikes are less-feasible for DnD: it can get over rubble no problem (how many dungeons don't have rubble?).

I can see it using either the disk, or levitate, or both. Levitate allows free horizontal movement, while the disk allows speed and fixed height.

I would base the speed off of the riders land speed, with either the ability to accelerate over multiple rounds, or a bonus from strength after base land speed. Include points about slops both up and down.

Also, someone with skateboarding experience needs to tell us what maneuverability (based on the aerial maneuverability chart) a relatively unskilled user would have. I know I can't turn for the life of me, but professionals might as well have perfect. Probably base it off the balance skill, with maneuverability increasing every X ranks or so.

Triaxx
2007-06-24, 06:59 AM
Not to mention, aren't there added bonuses for charging while mounted? Plus there's sheer terror factor. A 6' tall half-orc barbarian weilding a great axe, on a piece of wood charging at you. That's scary.