PDA

View Full Version : Blink dogs

Alpha-21
2016-03-28, 02:41 AM
Not sure if this is a topic that's been asked about before, but I was wondering something about Blink dogs.

Their teleport power says,
The dog magically teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing or carrying, up to 40 feet to an unoccupied space it can see.
Does this actually mean only equipment? A couple examples. If the dog was carrying, say, a live rat in its mouth, would the dog teleport leaving the rat to just drop to the ground?
Or, if there was a gnome riding on the dogs back, would it just drop?
Or, (possibly a more extreme situation), if the dog had a saddle bag, which had a live rat in it.

Basically, my gnome character has a pet Blink dog, and I was thinking that if he were injured badly, the dog might be able to blink him a bit away from the danger. Or maybe transport down allies to the healer.

Thank you in advance.

Corran
2016-03-28, 03:10 AM
Although I cannot provide an answer that is solidproof as far as RAW is concerned, I would personaly say yes to all of the above questions, and I would perhaps look to impose some restrictions regarding the ability to blink with ''equipment'' and the carrying capacity of the pet dog, if things were becoming silly. But I dont think it would come to that, unless players were looking to abuse it.

Alpha-21
2016-03-28, 04:15 AM
So then if he were carrying a bag with something living in it, what would happen when he blinked? Would the bag drop, or would it vanish leaving the creature free?

As for the equipment, not much more than the gnome himself couldn't carry... And he's got a lower strength than the dog. The comparison between the two is about the same as a human and a horse.

ProphetSword
2016-03-28, 09:09 AM
If I was the DM for that game, I would definitely allow the gnome to be teleported along with the blink dog. At my table, we observe the "rule of cool." Anything that doesn't break the game mechanics is fine...and I don't think this would get too dumb. It requires an action on the part of the dog to be able to blink, and if it's mostly being used to get the gnome out of harm's way, it wouldn't be an issue at our table.

eastmabl
2016-03-28, 10:04 AM
I'd construe equipment pretty broadly. At the barest minimum, anything that's listed in Chapter 5 of the PHB should be eligible for teleportation.

However, characters themselves are not equipment. Having a blink dog that can teleport a character gives the character Misty Step as an ability usable approximately every other turn.

Rhaegar
2016-03-28, 11:59 AM
I'd construe equipment pretty broadly. At the barest minimum, anything that's listed in Chapter 5 of the PHB should be eligible for teleportation.

However, characters themselves are not equipment. Having a blink dog that can teleport a character gives the character Misty Step as an ability usable approximately every other turn.

The blink dog isn't a mage familiar or a rangers companion, they aren't necessarily going to be commanded to do exactly as the owner wishes every turn. I show that they understand the Sylvan language, unless the gnome in question can speak Sylvan, the blink dog wouldn't easily understand his commands. The blink dog may recognize his friend in peril and blink him away, but I doubt they would be able to easily coordinate mid battle.

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 12:01 PM
The blink dog isn't a mage familiar or a rangers companion, they aren't necessarily going to be commanded to do exactly as the owner wishes every turn. I show that they understand the Sylvan language, unless the gnome in question can speak Sylvan, the blink dog wouldn't easily understand his commands. The blink dog may recognize his friend in peril and blink him away, but I doubt they would be able to easily coordinate mid battle.

Indeed. A rider could take advantage of teleporting across the battlefield, but he is at the mercy of his hound in terms of where it goes.

Troacctid
2016-03-28, 01:29 PM
The ability pretty plainly says it only brings along equipment. Creatures are not equipment. Any equipment would be teleported with the blink dog; creatures would be left behind.

JeenLeen
2016-03-28, 03:35 PM
I would think, by RAW, no to a rat in the mouth or a gnome on the back. Probably yes to a rat in the bag.

I'm away from books, but I could see an unconscious person count as 'equipment', if a saddle and pack are equipment. But I reckon this is incorrect and a creature, regardless of status, is a creature and thus not an object, and thus cannot be equipment. Just not 100% sure if that logic holds in 5e terminology.

Aldarin
2016-03-28, 04:44 PM
I'd say all of those would qualify. It all boils down to what you classify as 'equipment.'

I call an unconscious person OR a live creature fully restrained by the blink dog in question equipment.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-28, 05:08 PM
If the bacteria in its stomach blinks with it, then so should other creatures it carries.

Also tapeworms.

krugaan
2016-03-28, 05:32 PM
If the bacteria in its stomach blinks with it, then so should other creatures it carries.

Also tapeworms.

There's no ruling on this, but I think bacteria, tapeworms, and other parasites aren't really "creatures"... they're more like status effects.

Also:

DM: You have tapeworms.
Wizard: wat? I cast dimension door. Tapeworms are unintelligent and therefore can't be "willing", so they get left behind.
DM: ... your brain teleports 5' away, leaving your unintelligent body behind. You are dead.
Wizard: that's ridiculous.
DM: I don't care, I hate you.

tieren
2016-03-28, 06:23 PM
I presume it makes fleas on blink dogs kind of a non issue though.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-28, 06:31 PM
There's no ruling on this, but I think bacteria, tapeworms, and other parasites aren't really "creatures"... they're more like status effects.

Also:

DM: You have tapeworms.
Wizard: wat? I cast dimension door. Tapeworms are unintelligent and therefore can't be "willing", so they get left behind.
DM: ... your brain teleports 5' away, leaving your unintelligent body behind. You are dead.
Wizard: that's ridiculous.
DM: I don't care, I hate you.

Tapeworms are in the kingdom Animalia. If a Blink Dog is a creature, and a sprightly plant is a creature, then a tapeworm is certainly a creature.

krugaan
2016-03-28, 06:41 PM
Tapeworms are in the kingdom Animalia. If a Blink Dog is a creature, and a sprightly plant is a creature, then a tapeworm is certainly a creature.

So, what taxonomic clade defines blink dog?

You're comparing apples and oranges here, apples being DnD "creatures", and oranges being real life creatures. I mean sure, the tapeworm is a creature, but is it a "creature"?

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 06:59 PM
So, what taxonomic clade defines blink dog?

You're comparing apples and oranges here, apples being DnD "creatures", and oranges being real life creatures. I mean sure, the tapeworm is a creature, but is it a "creature"?

I suppose that begs the next question: what is a D&D creature? Where is it defined in the books?

In the MM, we find that "A monster is defined as any creature that can be interacted with and potentially fought and killed." So we can't make the claim that since we don't interact with microscopic organisms, they aren't creatures; if that criterion existed, that statement wouldn't be necessary.

CaptAl
2016-03-28, 07:06 PM
I'm going to throw my bones in for allowing the dog to teleport with a creature in tow. The reason, in my mind, is that teleporting away from the hyena that's trying to steal your kill will keep the blink dog alive, but if the food doesn't come with, her puppies might not make it.

I would restrict it based on the dogs strength, but that should still be enough to haul an unconscious gnome out of harm's way. Also, if the creature isn't unconscious or dead, well, tough luck. You aren't puppy food ready yet.

krugaan
2016-03-28, 07:13 PM
I suppose that begs the next question: what is a D&D creature? Where is it defined in the books?

In the MM, we find that "A monster is defined as any creature that can be interacted with and potentially fought and killed." So we can't make the claim that since we don't interact with microscopic organisms, they aren't creatures; if that criterion existed, that statement wouldn't be necessary.

That's a pretty good question, one which hasn't really been answered very well.

How about:

"creature" - any animated (as opposed to animate) entity which has hp or can realistically be assigned an hp value.

That would rule out doors, walls (inanimate) and creatures too tiny to have hp (germs, near microscopic worms) but would allow everything in the dmg (obviously) and other things.

edit: I just reread your post and the DMG basically says almost the same thing really. Probably better. Just replace "monsters" with "creatures".

EvilAnagram
2016-03-28, 07:33 PM
How about:

"creature" - any animated (as opposed to animate) entity which has hp or can realistically be assigned an hp value.

That would rule out doors, walls (inanimate) and creatures too tiny to have hp (germs, near microscopic worms) but would allow everything in the dmg (obviously) and other things.

Tapeworms are not microscopic. Human tapeworms are 4-22m long, and they're clearly visible. It's hard to argue that they shouldn't have HP.

krugaan
2016-03-28, 07:41 PM
Tapeworms are not microscopic. Human tapeworms are 4-22m long, and they're clearly visible. It's hard to argue that they shouldn't have HP.

Dude, I don't think the human gut is 22m long, 4m maybe. Yes, they're visible, but they pose no threat to a human outside the body and it would be difficult to rationalize (at least to me) why they would need an hp value. It should be utterly trivial to kill one in any circumstance and they should not award any xp.

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 07:52 PM
That's a pretty good question, one which hasn't really been answered very well.

How about:

edit: I just reread your post and the DMG basically says almost the same thing really. Probably better. Just replace "monsters" with "creatures".

Where is that in the DMG?

Also, let's keep in mind the ramifications of different definitions. Specifically, I'm looking at Fabricate. It cannot be used to create creatures, but by your definition I can take a few corpses and use them to create disease-carrying organisms so I can spread smallbox, ebola, and other diseases across the realms. I can create life because the life I'm creating is too small to have HP.

Also, I would like to note that you used the word creature within your definition of creature :smallwink:

EDIT: Fun tapeworm facts! The longest one discovered in a human was 25 meters. The small intestine (where the tapeworm primarily resides) is on average 6.7 meters long. That means the dang parasite looped back around and then to the end of the organ again!

krugaan
2016-03-28, 08:07 PM
Also, let's keep in mind the ramifications of different definitions. Specifically, I'm looking at Fabricate. It cannot be used to create creatures, but by your definition I can take a few corpses and use them to create disease-carrying organisms so I can spread smallbox, ebola, and other diseases across the realms. I can create life because the life I'm creating is too small to have HP.

I don't know if that's so off, though. Is a corpse a creature if it's inanimate? I wouldn't say so. A dead treant is ... wood. So sure, why not? I'm not sure if you could count bacteria and germs as being part of the same "material" as a corpse. I eat food, but I turn it into more of "me", but eating implies a conversion process happening somewhere. You could totally fabricate lots of corpses guilt free to breed your bacteria in, that would probably work just as fine.

edit: Fabricate is a "factory" spell not a "duplicate" spell. Jesus, fabricate sucks.

Besides, blight does almost the same thing and it only 1 level higher.

Also, I would like to note that you used the word creature within your definition of creature :smallwink:

creature, heh heh.

EDIT: Fun tapeworm facts! The longest one discovered in a human was 25 meters. The small intestine (where the tapeworm primarily resides) is on average 6.7 meters long. That means the dang parasite looped back around and then to the end of the organ again!

...twice!

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 08:21 PM
I don't know if that's so off, though. Is a corpse a creature if it's inanimate? I wouldn't say so. A dead treant is ... wood. So sure, why not? I'm not sure if you could count bacteria and germs as being part of the same "material" as a corpse. I eat food, but I turn it into more of "me", but eating implies a conversion process happening somewhere. You could totally fabricate lots of corpses guilt free to breed your bacteria in, that would probably work just as fine.

edit: Fabricate is a "factory" spell not a "duplicate" spell. Jesus, fabricate sucks.

Besides, blight does almost the same thing and it only 1 level higher.

creature, heh heh.

...twice!

Well, actually the nucleotides that compose DNA are exactly the same for humans, animals, plants, and bacteria (I don't think it applies to viruses; I think they use an alternative structure). So they are part of the same material!!!

krugaan
2016-03-28, 08:23 PM
Well, actually the nucleotides that compose DNA are exactly the same for humans, animals, plants, and bacteria (I don't think it applies to viruses; I think they use an alternative structure). So they are part of the same material!!!

whatever you say, joe dirt.

(I kid, I kid)

Many scientists don't even consider viruses to be alive, so fabricate a bunch of those!

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 08:27 PM
whatever you say, joe dirt.

(I kid, I kid)

Many scientists don't even consider viruses to be alive, so fabricate a bunch of those!

I would if I understood them enough to know what materials to get :smallwink:

I'm a prospective mechanical engineer, biology is not my specialty...

EDIT: And I couldn't be Joe Dirt. He takes already-powerful abilities and tries to squeeze more out. I take underpowered abilities and attempt to break the game with them (usually unsuccessfully!).

krugaan
2016-03-28, 08:33 PM
EDIT: And I couldn't be Joe Dirt. He takes already-powerful abilities and tries to squeeze more out. I take underpowered abilities and attempt to break the game with them (usually unsuccessfully!).

All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 08:36 PM
All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

Mind if I sig that?

krugaan
2016-03-28, 08:42 PM
Mind if I sig that?

hah, go ahead.

We should probably return to talking about blink dogs, though.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-28, 08:44 PM
Dude, I don't think the human gut is 22m long, 4m maybe. Yes, they're visible, but they pose no threat to a human outside the body and it would be difficult to rationalize (at least to me) why they would need an hp value. It should be utterly trivial to kill one in any circumstance and they should not award any xp.

Most are 4-10m long. The longest was 22m. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_saginata#Description)

And no, it's not trivial to kill one. They're ridiculously hardy. In fact, if you cut it into pieces you've essentially just released billions of spore to make new tapeworms, but the original tapeworm is intact.

In D&D terms:

Tapeworm
Hit Points: 1
Damage Immunities: Piercing, Bludgeoning, Slashing, Force, Acid, Cold
Speed: 10'
Actions:

Attach: The tapeworm attaches to the intestines of a creature that has swallowed it. A creature with a tapeworm attached suffers one level of exhaustion every 1d12 days.
Release Spore Cloud: The tapeworm releases a cloud of spores to reproduce. All grass within 5' of the host becomes tainted. Any creature that eats tainted grass must make a DC 19 Constitution save or else become a carrier for 1d12 new tapeworms. Any creature that eats a creature afflicted with tapeworms must make a DC 19 Constitution save or else acquire a tapeworm.

If a Tapeworm is hit by any attack that deals slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing damage, it immediately performs the action Release Spore Cloud.

Alpha-21
2016-03-28, 08:45 PM
If I were the GM, and this situation came up, if the body being blinked was heavier than what the dog could typically carry, I'd probably have the dog make a strength check as though he was trying to drag the body, since the blink is a movement power, and the distance of the blink is the same as his move.

Also, fun fact, we had a long debate after a session last year and ended up determining that down bodies were classified as objects not creatures, because you could use them for cover, but couldn't use living creatures for cover.

Also tapeworms.

lmao

Page 302 of the DMs guide has Commoners and Owls as a 0 challenge rating, and yet they still grant 10 XP upon killing them. Sure, 10 xp isn't much, but if you go on a rampage, you could eventually level up. lol Heck, Blink Dogs are only a 1/4th challenge rating, pretty trivial solo.

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 08:49 PM
Most are 4-10m long. The longest was 22m. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_saginata#Description)

And no, it's not trivial to kill one. They're ridiculously hardy. In fact, if you cut it into pieces you've essentially just released billions of spore to make new tapeworms, but the original tapeworm is intact.

In D&D terms:

Tapeworm
Hit Points: 1
Damage Immunities: Piercing, Bludgeoning, Slashing, Force
Speed: 10'
Actions:

Attach: The tapeworm attaches to the intestines of a creature that has swallowed it. A creature with a tapeworm attached suffers one level of exhaustion every 1d12 days.
Release Spore Cloud: The tapeworm releases a cloud of spores to reproduce. All grass within 5' of the host becomes tainted. Any creature that eats tainted grass must make a DC 19 Constitution save or else become a carrier for 1d12 new tapeworms.

If a Tapeworm is hit by any attack that deals slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing damage, it immediately performs the action Release Spore Cloud.

As the wonderful meme goes:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/walkingdead/images/3/30/269209_kill-it-with-fire.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150421064045

EvilAnagram
2016-03-28, 08:52 PM

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/walkingdead/images/3/30/269209_kill-it-with-fire.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150421064045

That would work.

Although, on researching it, Cold and Acid would not. I have updated the stat block.

A Dire Tapeworm has 26 hit points and has a 2d6+5 bite attack and a 1d10+5 tail attack.

krugaan
2016-03-28, 08:56 PM

Lol.

Also, Evil, where are you getting that cloud spore thing? I thought they laid eggs in poop or something, and then filthy poop eating humans eat the poop.

And again ... outside a host the tapeworm is absolutely helpless.

Or is this some kind of magical myconid tapeworm abomination?

EvilAnagram
2016-03-28, 09:08 PM
Lol.

Also, Evil, where are you getting that cloud spore thing? I thought they laid eggs in poop or something, and then filthy poop eating humans eat the poop.

And again ... outside a host the tapeworm is absolutely helpless.

Or is this some kind of magical myconid tapeworm abomination?

The tapeworm body consists of many segments called proglottids attached to a head. The head is where everything happens aside from the production of eggs. Each proglottid segment is full of thousands of eggs, each of which can infect an intermediate host.

The spore cloud is just a fanciful (and mechanically useful) way of describing dropping a proglottid full of eggs, which can occur either in feces or independently.

Intermediate animals eat grass infected with the eggs (and often poop), and the tapeworms infect them. Humans eat those animals without cooking them enough, and those humans get infected with mature worms.

And yeah, the tapeworm is pretty helpless outside the host. So all it will do is wait there while you cut and stab and bludgeon it and eggs spread everywhere.

And it will spread.

krugaan
2016-03-28, 09:15 PM
The tapeworm body consists of many segments called proglottids attached to a head. The head is where everything happens aside from the production of eggs. Each proglottid segment is full of thousands of eggs, each of which can infect an intermediate host.

The spore cloud is just a fanciful (and mechanically useful) way of describing dropping a proglottid full of eggs, which can occur either in feces or independently.

Intermediate animals eat grass infected with the eggs (and often poop), and the tapeworms infect them. Humans eat those animals without cooking them enough, and those humans get infected with mature worms.

And yeah, the tapeworm is pretty helpless outside the host. So all it will do is wait there while you cut and stab and bludgeon it and eggs spread everywhere.

And it will spread.

Yeah, I just read the Wikipedia article, but normally I doubt that occurs in real life. I get the feeling the eggs don't last very long outside their proglottid, but I can point to no evidence on this.

I'll file it under plausible. So, would you allow lesser restoration to kill it?

I mean, I get your rationale, but in terms of gameplay it's very absurd. Or is this some very subtle humor i'm missing...

FaradayCage
2016-03-28, 09:22 PM
Teleport spells (Dimension Door, Teleport, Teleportation Circle) allow you to bring along willing creature(s). The Blink Dog's ability seems closest to Dimension Door, so I would allow for the bringing of one additional creature (such as a gnome rider).

If we really wanted to go for a hard RAW interpretation, we have to ask "what is equipment?"

It's never defined as a specific term in the PHB, but Chapter 5 includes things like "Elephant" and "Cow". I see no problem with living beings being equipment, but they have sentience and thus are able to be or not be "willing". This is pretty important because otherwise a Blink Dog "carry" an enemy in his mouth right to the edge of that cliff 40 ft away.

Personally, I think all creatures with Int 2 or less would be non-willing. Much like a dog refusing to get on a boat - he would intuitively resist being ripped across space-time through magic. Companions, familiars, or animals that have undergone a lot of training could learn to trust the teleportation.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-28, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I just read the Wikipedia article, but normally I doubt that occurs in real life. I get the feeling the eggs don't last very long outside their proglottid, but I can point to no evidence on this.
It's not common in industrialized countries, but it happens. A lot.

I'll file it under plausible. So, would you allow lesser restoration to kill it?

Lesser Restoration cures the levels of exhaustion

I mean, I get your rationale, but in terms of gameplay it's very absurd. Or is this some very subtle humor i'm missing...

Yes, to both.

krugaan
2016-03-28, 09:28 PM
It's not common in industrialized countries, but it happens. A lot.

yes, I realize it does. I always just sort of assume the DnD universe is ... well, sanitary, for the most part.

Lesser Restoration cures the levels of exhaustion

ouch! score one for tapeworms everywhere.

Yes, to both.

Hah, too subtle for my tastes, I prefer overt absurdity. The nuances of tone are lost in ... print, I guess.

Troacctid
2016-03-28, 09:31 PM
The obvious conclusion is that blink dogs don't get tapeworms.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-28, 09:43 PM
The obvious conclusion is that blink dogs don't get tapeworms.

Because, like all dogs, they have an aversion to poop?

yes, I realize it does. I always just sort of assume the DnD universe is ... well, sanitary, for the most part.
Am I the only DM who punished poor rolls while infiltrating a building with a chamber pot to the face?

Come to think of it, I should probably have him roll for tapeworms.

Rhaegar
2016-03-29, 10:27 AM
Teleport spells (Dimension Door, Teleport, Teleportation Circle) allow you to bring along willing creature(s). The Blink Dog's ability seems closest to Dimension Door, so I would allow for the bringing of one additional creature (such as a gnome rider).

If we really wanted to go for a hard RAW interpretation, we have to ask "what is equipment?"

It's never defined as a specific term in the PHB, but Chapter 5 includes things like "Elephant" and "Cow". I see no problem with living beings being equipment, but they have sentience and thus are able to be or not be "willing". This is pretty important because otherwise a Blink Dog "carry" an enemy in his mouth right to the edge of that cliff 40 ft away.

Personally, I think all creatures with Int 2 or less would be non-willing. Much like a dog refusing to get on a boat - he would intuitively resist being ripped across space-time through magic. Companions, familiars, or animals that have undergone a lot of training could learn to trust the teleportation.

Now what about a pregnant blink dog. The fetus would not necessarily be willing, would a pregnant blink dog risk aborting her babies every time she blinks. Do pregnant blink dogs have to avoid blinking while pregnant to ensure their blink puppies come to full term.

eastmabl
2016-03-29, 11:11 AM
Because, like all dogs, they have an aversion to poop?

I don't know what dogs you have. My dogs have been quite fond of all kinds of poop.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-29, 11:17 AM
I don't know what dogs you have. My dogs have been quite fond of all kinds of poop.

I was utilizing irony to remind everyone how fond dogs are of poop.

Joe the Rat
2016-03-30, 08:06 AM
I think it's a cool idea, but if you are worried about blink abuse, you could add a stipulation that after hauling a Small creature, it burns out it's blink until it completes a rest.

I presume it makes fleas on blink dogs kind of a non issue though.

They get Displacer Fleas.

Alpha-21
2016-03-31, 03:54 PM
GM made a ruling. "Any willing and unconscious creatures can be teleported. But an conscious unwilling creature cannot be teleported."

MrStabby
2016-03-31, 04:55 PM
GM made a ruling. "Any willing and unconscious creatures can be teleported. But an conscious unwilling creature cannot be teleported."

Willing and unconscious? That sounds like the empty set.

Regarding what counts as creatures - I would just want to be consistant with effects liek the warlock's temp hitpoints ability. If you get hitpoints every time your immune system killed of a bacterium it would be a bit silly.

krugaan
2016-03-31, 05:05 PM
Willing and unconscious? That sounds like the empty set.

Regarding what counts as creatures - I would just want to be consistant with effects liek the warlock's temp hitpoints ability. If you get hitpoints every time your immune system killed of a bacterium it would be a bit silly.

Probably meant "friendly" and unconscious.

Also, lol about the bacterium thing, yeah, that would be silly. I think it has to be your pact weapon though? That might explain all the /wrist warlocks though, lol.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-31, 05:48 PM
Probably meant "friendly" and unconscious.

Also, lol about the bacterium thing, yeah, that would be silly. I think it has to be your pact weapon though? That might explain all the /wrist warlocks though, lol.

I think MrStabby was pointing out that he should have said willing or unconscious.

krugaan
2016-03-31, 05:58 PM
I think MrStabby was pointing out that he should have said willing or unconscious.

read it again, yo.

Although, naturally, you are allowed to have your own opinions.

But if they're different than mine, they're, well...

Wrong.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-31, 06:33 PM
read it again, yo.

Although, naturally, you are allowed to have your own opinions.

But if they're different than mine, they're, well...

Wrong.
:smallsigh: MrStabby said:
Willing and unconscious? That sounds like the empty set.(emphasis mine)

It's an empty set because you can't be both willing and unconscious. The first set necessarily excludes the second. If you are unconscious, you cannot act willfully. If you are acting willfully, then you can't be unconscious. MrStabby was making a bit of a joke about that because the DM clearly meant that willing or unconscious creatures could be teleported away via Blink Dog, but the phrasing used by Alpha was a bit silly.

You see, "willing or unconscious," means that willing, conscious creatures and unconscious creatures alike can be teleported by the Blink Dog.

Your phrasing runs into the same problem as the original: how can a creature be both friendly and unconscious? Are unconscious creatures who had been working with the party but harboring ill intentions for the future able to be teleported? If a hostile, unconscious creature dreams about spending a day with the party at a soda fountain, does he become friendly? There are so many questions!

krugaan
2016-03-31, 06:42 PM
:smallsigh: MrStabby said:(emphasis mine)

It's an empty set because you can't be both willing and unconscious. The first set necessarily excludes the second. If you are unconscious, you cannot act willfully. If you are acting willfully, then you can't be unconscious. MrStabby was making a bit of a joke about that because the DM clearly meant that willing or unconscious creatures could be teleported away via Blink Dog, but the phrasing used by Alpha was a bit silly.

You see, "willing or unconscious," means that willing, conscious creatures and unconscious creatures alike can be teleported by the Blink Dog.

Your phrasing runs into the same problem as the original: how can a creature be both friendly and unconscious? Are unconscious creatures who had been working with the party but harboring ill intentions for the future able to be teleported? If a hostile, unconscious creature dreams about spending a day with the party at a soda fountain, does he become friendly? There are so many questions!

So you get everything except the last part. Friendly means "on your side" in the generally 3 faction world of Dnd: PCs, bags of XP, and vendors/info sources.

If your erstwhile ally is unconscious, and you try to grab him and flee through a dimension door but he fails to come with you... that's probably for the best.

Alpha-21
2016-04-02, 07:49 AM
No no, I left out a comma. "Willing, and Unconscious", two separate classifications. Willing creatures, and unconscious creatures.

EvilAnagram
2016-04-02, 10:34 AM
No no, I left out a comma. "Willing, and Unconscious", two separate classifications. Willing creatures, and unconscious creatures.

I am extremely annoyed with myself at this very moment. I am annoyed because I have slight compulsive tendencies, and they frequently include English grammar. It's nice that as an English teacher I can work this out without ruining my social life, but here I am doing it on the internet anyways.

In a list of two, you should definitely not use a comma to set the and apart. Your original phrasing was grammatically sound, but the word choice was a little confusing. Saying,"willing or unconscious," does mean that both willing creatures and unconscious creatures can transport this way, but it removes the potential confusion.

krugaan
2016-04-02, 04:53 PM

I am extremely annoyed with myself at this very moment. I am annoyed because I have slight compulsive tendencies, and they frequently include English grammar. It's nice that as an English teacher I can work this out without ruining my social life, but here I am doing it on the internet anyways.

In a list of two, you should definitely not use a comma to set the and apart. Your original phrasing was grammatically sound, but the word choice was a little confusing. Saying,"willing or unconscious," does mean that both willing creatures and unconscious creatures can transport this way, but it removes the potential confusion.

So Alpha meant: "willing creatures and unconscious creatures may be teleported"

Stabby interpreted as "willing, unconscious creatures may be teleported" and declared null set

I agreed with stabby.

Evil interpreted as OP intended.

The story thus far!

Also, i'm sure it must be nearly impossible to read on the internet with thinking "P1-A" whenever the it's/its thing happens, lol.