PDA

View Full Version : I need help building a tree hugging Pally/Warlock

RavenKing
2016-03-28, 05:11 AM
This would probably be a cha/dex build but im really not sure about the fighting style

I need some direction and help really fleshing this out.

Starting at 10th lvl

Race: Half-Elf/VHuman
Background: Hermit - Seeker

Warlock Levels

Patron: Archefey [ I would like to take the Sleep spell from the enhanced list ]
Pact: Tome [ Shillelagh / not sure about which other spells ]

I would like to get the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation if possible

Paladin Levels

Sacred Oath: Oath of the Ancients

Spiritchaser
2016-03-28, 06:00 AM
This was what I wanted to play for our latest game, before learning that our party was going to be evil... I was going to have to play and see hether he came out as a tree hugging flake or an environazi.

I was planning on cha dex as well, and taking stealth, with Deuling fighting style, since defence wouldn't work with armor of shadows, shield and rapier.

I actually wanted a two handed light finesse polearm (think viper of Dorne). But there is no such thing.

That said, he was only a plan... We decided to be the bad guys instead.

EvanescentHero
2016-03-28, 09:04 AM
I have an Ancients paladin I want to play at some point. I want him to be a winged tiefling if my DM will let me (which I honestly don't know; I've got one friend who DMs and she thinks flight is OP, and other than that I'm DM the rest of the time), and the image in my head has him wielding a glaive. Now I'm torn, because I should have as much armor as possible if I don't have a shield, but I can see some DMs restricting tiefling flight like aarakocra flight, which would mean I could only wear light armor.

I'm also considering a dip into Archfey warlock for flavor reasons, although the character is more focused on the joy part of the Ancients than the nature part of it.

Asmodouche
2016-03-28, 09:49 AM
I would go Paladin 7 for spell damage resistance and then go Warlock therest of the way.

If variant human I'd actually take Heavy Armor Master because it will still reduce a lot of damage from claws and little jerks with spears and anything not covered by spell resistance. Well not dragon breath but that's what saves are for.

I would start S15 (13+1+1) D12 C14 I8 W10 Ch16 (15 + 1) I would bump Cha with my ASI. You could swap Int and Wis for rp purposes since you are trained in Wis Saves.

I would actually take defense style since I'd be favoring Eldritch Blast. Don't worry about the low-ish Str- you've got Shillelagh. For other cantrips, maybe Guidance and Light ( if you've delayed Devil's Sight for Book of Ancient Secrets ). Otherwise maybe Message or maybe Druidcraft.

The hard choice is Devil's Sight or Book of Ancient Secrets. Agonizing Blast for me is mandatory.

Just my take on it. Hope I gave you a useful idea or two.

Foxhound438
2016-03-28, 01:27 PM
This would probably be a cha/dex build but im really not sure about the fighting style

a) you need at least 13 str to multiclass into or out of paladin

b) fighting style should be dueling; have your quarterstaff and shield, Vuman 1 have polearm master, get at least 5 paladin levels and have a total of 3 attacks all getting +2 damage. Benefits of pam goes even farther here, giving you 3 proc chances for hex damage every turn as well.

stats 13/14/14/8/9/16, or 15/8/14/8/10/16 and ditch the dex plan for plate armor. saves you ASI's that you would have put in bumping dex for ac, now you can have Cha 18 at pal 4.

Your level split should either be 5/5 for 2 asi's and 3rd level warlock spells, or 7/3 for both auras. Either way is good, personally I prefer going pal primary.