PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for a easy to manage World

Wacky89
2016-03-28, 07:06 AM
I want to start up a campaign soonish irl, so i'm looking for some easy to manage world.
Doesnt matter if it's homebrew or official, I want to run the game as a sandbox game.
I'm not very experienced DM'ing, i've done a dungeon crawl and a diablo2 game, that's why i want to start up with something easy.
But I don't want it to be a dungeoncrawl again.

TheBrassDuke
2016-03-28, 07:29 AM
You can't beat Dark Sun or the Eberron Campaign Setting!

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-28, 08:47 AM
Pathfinder or 3.5? Both have decent long running modules you can pick up and use to start off with and flesh out the world as you play. If you're wanting official settings there's an abundance of material there as well. I am partial to Eberron and have been running the same campaign for going on 3 years now.

Wacky89
2016-03-28, 11:00 AM
Pathfinder or 3.5? Both have decent long running modules you can pick up and use to start off with and flesh out the world as you play. If you're wanting official settings there's an abundance of material there as well. I am partial to Eberron and have been running the same campaign for going on 3 years now.

It's gonna be 3.5.
My playgroup has generally been using Faerun, maybe I should just stick with that.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-28, 12:08 PM
Familiarity will definitely go a long way towards making it easier.

I highly recommend Red Hand of Doom if you've never run it before. It's a fun module that is easily adjustable to multiple levels of skill and optimization.

Fizban
2016-03-28, 08:09 PM
What do you mean by "easy to manage?" I would assume it's that you don't want the setting to get in the way or have very much to keep track of.

Forgotten Realms has tons of stuff, but none of it is actually important: sure there's tons of epic NPCs and places with big names and reputations, but if you don't use those they don't matter. You can very easily just take the map and the list of cities and only bring up stuff as you need it. The catch is that you might have players who are more familiar with it than you from books and games etc, so they could expect you to include more of that. Otherwise it's basically your generic medieval fantasy setting with different flavors of culture in each region.

Eberron I would say is the exact opposite of easy to manage, since it's supposed to make a big deal of 5 different nations and 8 different guilds and some number of major cities and adventure zones and having intrigue and political maneuvering and by the way half the mechanics and fluff are arbitrary. It's supposed to be a barely contained hotbed of factions that could tip in any way, so running a sandbox would mean knowing how all those factions already stack up so you can have them react appropriately.

And then I fell asleep before hitting the post button, yeah I'd say just stick with FR unless you really want something new.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-28, 08:43 PM
What do you mean by "easy to manage?" I would assume it's that you don't want the setting to get in the way or have very much to keep track of.

Forgotten Realms has tons of stuff, but none of it is actually important: sure there's tons of epic NPCs and places with big names and reputations, but if you don't use those they don't matter. You can very easily just take the map and the list of cities and only bring up stuff as you need it. The catch is that you might have players who are more familiar with it than you from books and games etc, so they could expect you to include more of that. Otherwise it's basically your generic medieval fantasy setting with different flavors of culture in each region.

Eberron I would say is the exact opposite of easy to manage, since it's supposed to make a big deal of 5 different nations and 8 different guilds and some number of major cities and adventure zones and having intrigue and political maneuvering and by the way half the mechanics and fluff are arbitrary. It's supposed to be a barely contained hotbed of factions that could tip in any way, so running a sandbox would mean knowing how all those factions already stack up so you can have them react appropriately.

And then I fell asleep before hitting the post button, yeah I'd say just stick with FR unless you really want something new.

I second this. There's plenty of existing material in FR, and there's plenty of room to add in your own stuff if you get bored. If you want to hone your worldbuilding skills, just make up an island and flesh it out within the context of wherever you put it.

MisterKaws
2016-03-28, 08:57 PM
I third FR. Although I don't like it by personal opinion, it's pretty much a sandbox world, and "A Wizard did it!" is a valid explanation there, so you don't have to care about plotholes either.