PDA

View Full Version : Smashing into Objects

Rakoa
2016-03-28, 09:18 AM
Does 5e have any rules for what happens what one is smashed forcefully into an object? Say someone is backed up against a wall when they get nailed with a repelling blast. Do they just not move? Do they take damage? Does the wall take damage?

Aldarin
2016-03-28, 04:40 PM
Huh. Tough question. Really, I'd say that the person being hit by the blast would take 1d6 or 1d4 damage (the standards for falling and running into a wall, respectively) while the wall wouldn't take any damage. Unless, of course, it was plaster or glass or something similar. Then, I'd say the wall would crumble.
Actually, thinking on it, I'd say 1d4 damage (bludgeoning) if the person was against a wall, and 1d6 damage for every 5 feet away from the wall they were.

Demonslayer666
2016-03-28, 05:14 PM
I don't know of any rules for this in the books.

I'm my game I might have them take a portion of falling damage, but it would have to be something more than a Repelling Blast, like a giant throwing them against the wall.

With RB, I would not have that do any extra damage.

Vogonjeltz
2016-03-28, 06:55 PM
Does 5e have any rules for what happens what one is smashed forcefully into an object? Say someone is backed up against a wall when they get nailed with a repelling blast. Do they just not move? Do they take damage? Does the wall take damage?

No. (To all the questions).

Renvir
2016-03-29, 12:02 PM
Vogonjeltz is correct.

The only rule that is similar to this is falling damage. But falling 10 feet is much worse than being pushed 10 feet because you are continually accelerating when you fall while that won't be the case with a Repelling Blast push. Balance-wise, giving RB bonus damage would make it too powerful compared to the other Eldritch Blast upgrades.

But you are the GM so if a Giant picks you someone up and throws them against a wall then some damage similar to the falling damage or improvised weapon damage might apply. Just make sure everyone at your table agrees to it going forward.

RickAllison
2016-03-29, 12:36 PM
Vogonjeltz is correct.

The only rule that is similar to this is falling damage. But falling 10 feet is much worse than being pushed 10 feet because you are continually accelerating when you fall while that won't be the case with a Repelling Blast push. Balance-wise, giving RB bonus damage would make it too powerful compared to the other Eldritch Blast upgrades.

Well, Agonizing Blast still easily beats it in damage, but it would put it even farther ahead of Eldritch Spear. I see no need to buff it because it can be ruled that the same magic that lets it displace gargantuan creatures as easily as tiny ones means that it doesn't apply damage anyway.

indemnity
2016-03-29, 07:22 PM
DM can add flavour instead.

Options include prone, extra damage dice, status effects like dazed, reduced movement, sliding sideways...

Renvir
2016-03-29, 08:10 PM
Well, Agonizing Blast still easily beats it in damage, but it would put it even farther ahead of Eldritch Spear. I see no need to buff it because it can be ruled that the same magic that lets it displace gargantuan creatures as easily as tiny ones means that it doesn't apply damage anyway.

I never thought of the fact that it can push gargantuan creatures just as well as tiny ones. I always just focused on pushing them into my teammates concentration AOE's or getting them off a squishy target.

RickAllison
2016-03-29, 08:21 PM
I never thought of the fact that it can push gargantuan creatures just as well as tiny ones. I always just focused on pushing them into my teammates concentration AOE's or getting them off a squishy target.

Last session, we ended up in this big debate when our DMPC Sorclock decided to Repelling Blast a displacer beast our druid had grappled. By RAW, the grapple would be broken without a chance to save, but we have no idea how the spell functions. If he did hold on, does it just move all of them (him and the other creature he was grappling), or does it apply a regular force and so it would also exert a moment (so he would spin around)?