PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Bladesinger viable with these rolls?

Master O'Laughs
2016-03-28, 11:28 AM
Hey all,

I was creating new character since the other one died and with rolling 4d6 drop lowest I got 17, 17, 17, 10, 8, 7

I was thinking of going a half-elf Barbarian 1/Bladesinger (rest) to get some great unarmored AC, and HP.

From my reading of the rules, my AC calculation would be AC = 10+Dex+Con which would be 18. Then when I activate bladesong in combat it adds another +4 for a total of 22 before I cast shield as a reaction.

From what I have read a lot of people mention barbarian not being worth it but it eventually gives a +2 AC bonus over mage armor and at low levels I will have more starting health.

Party is currently lvl 3. What are your thoughts?

N810
2016-03-28, 11:32 AM
With those rolls you could make anything you want... :smalleek:
(but yea your idea's good)

wunderkid
2016-03-28, 11:37 AM
Well is bladesinger core to your build?

If not fighter, plate and shield and style puts you to 21 at all times and you're not losing any features still getting good hp. Plus there is potential for magical armour and shields to bump that higher.

Discussed this at great lengths in a post a day or two back. Although I was playing devils advocate and arguing the dip wasn't needed or isn't that amazing, the guy who was arguing for the dip made excellent points.

wunderkid
2016-03-28, 11:40 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482379-Bladesinger-with-1-lvl-dip-in-Barbarian

Sir cryosin
2016-03-28, 11:41 AM
Unless you put one of those 17 in str you can't multiclass in or out of barbarian. And a 17 in int the same.

wunderkid
2016-03-28, 11:47 AM
Good catch. Yeah puts the multi class barb out the window with those stats. Rogue/fighter multi still works

Master O'Laughs
2016-03-28, 11:52 AM
Unless you put one of those 17 in str you can't multiclass in or out of barbarian. And a 17 in int the same.

Ah, darn it. I had forgotten that part of multiclassing and only remembered it as needing the new classes stat. oh well. I may just go a straight Barbarian then with 17s in all physical stats.

Reason for not wanting fighter is I just played one. Also, I liked the idea of the shear volume of AC I can acquire.

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 11:58 AM
Ah, darn it. I had forgotten that part of multiclassing and only remembered it as needing the new classes stat. oh well. I may just go a straight Barbarian then with 17s in all physical stats.

Reason for not wanting fighter is I just played one. Also, I liked the idea of the shear volume of AC I can acquire.

Monk is still an option. Unfortunately, your Con would take a hit but it would still give you the great base AC.

Master O'Laughs
2016-03-28, 12:24 PM
Monk is still an option. Unfortunately, your Con would take a hit but it would still give you the great base AC.

Yeah, Due to the low nature of the other rolls, the character was going to be a hot-head that was kind of a jerk who rushed in to combat and was easily provoked. The having high CON was going to help me from dying again so soon.

I may still just go straight bladesinger and still pump con fro health reasons. Then I can take resilient CON later to get proficiency in CON Saves.

RickAllison
2016-03-28, 01:11 PM
Yeah, Due to the low nature of the other rolls, the character was going to be a hot-head that was kind of a jerk who rushed in to combat and was easily provoked. The having high CON was going to help me from dying again so soon.

I may still just go straight bladesinger and still pump con fro health reasons. Then I can take resilient CON later to get proficiency in CON Saves.

Honestly, you already have a guaranteed 12 AC if you buy some studded leather armor, which could get even higher as you progress with magic items. Until higher levels, you would only have +2 AC from Unarmored Defense with that anyway and not having to worry about boosting Wisdom or Constitution to get your AC up lets you focus more on feat choice and getting your spells faster.

Master O'Laughs
2016-03-29, 12:52 PM
So for a similar feel, how would an eldritch knight work?

STR 17
DEX 10
CON 17
WIS 8
INT 17
CHA 7

Taking tunnel fighting for my fighting style, getting polearm master, war caster, and spell sniper.

Whenever anything moves within range I get to use booming blade on them and then if they continue to move they take extra damage. I do not think I would want sentinel so they provoke the effect more often.

Another idea is to use the same feat set-up but go either Tempest or Arcane Domain Cleric. I would take a lvl 1 dip as a fighter to get tunnel fighting style.

Whatcha think? switching to fighter or cleric would be deciding to max damage at all costs. If Cleric I would definitely go Human so by lvl 9 I would have the combo ready.

RickAllison
2016-03-29, 12:56 PM
So for a similar feel, how would an eldritch knight work?

STR 17
DEX 10
CON 17
WIS 8
INT 17
CHA 7

Taking tunnel fighting for my fighting style, getting polearm master, war caster, and spell sniper.

Whenever anything moves within range I get to use booming blade on them and then if they continue to move they take extra damage. I do not think I would want sentinel so they provoke the effect more often.

Another idea is to use the same feat set-up but go either Tempest or Arcane Domain Cleric. I would take a lvl 1 dip as a fighter to get tunnel fighting style.

Whatcha think? switching to fighter or cleric would be deciding to max damage at all costs. If Cleric I would definitely go Human so by lvl 9 I would have the combo ready.

Note that you would only be able to use Booming Blade once with War Caster. The feat lets you "use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack," so you could not combo it for Tunnel Fighter.

Master O'Laughs
2016-03-30, 01:05 PM
Note that you would only be able to use Booming Blade once with War Caster. The feat lets you "use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack," so you could not combo it for Tunnel Fighter.

Okay, so even if only once per reaction, which set up would be better suited? The straight fighter, or one of the cleric domains?

Tempest seems crazy that on top of booming blade you could add the 2d8 thunder damage class feature you get later on.