PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Need a cleric domain for the spells

Snowbluff
2016-03-28, 03:15 PM
Hey guys. Fifth level spontaneous cleric with the hunger domain. Want more offensive spells of third and second levels. Ergo, need a domain.

Will have DMM: Twin Spell.

ATHATH
2016-03-28, 03:29 PM
Will the Magic Domain work?

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-28, 04:02 PM
They're not damage dealing spells (which I assume you're not going for), but the Entropy domain from Fiendish Codex 1 has some nifty spells. The second level spell is ray of exhaustion, which is generally useful. The third level spell is a little gem called Vision of Entropy, which is a self-escalating fear spell that forces the other guy to make Will saves each round or advance a stage of fear. It also has the nice little effect of making them unconscious if they fail four Will Saves (they go from panicked to unconscious). A successful Will save does not negate the spell, but instead saves them from advancing a stage in that round. The spell's duration is rounds per level, IIRC. It's not always useful, but in encounters with small numbers of tough enemies it can be an interesting way of debuffing them with the chance of knocking them out of the fight entirely.

The domain power is a straight up damage dealer, doing 1d8 damage per cleric level. It doesn't have a listed range, is a range touch attack, and half the damage is sonic, while the other half is unholy.

It also gets other cools spells like disintegrate and some other condition inflicting spells. The capstone spell isn't all that useful, but it's pretty friggin awesome (it's called Abyssal Rift).

I like this domain a lot, as the spells are useful and versatile while not being cheesy, and the power is a pretty decent panic button. It might be useful to you, or might not, depending on what kind encounters you have regularly. Lots of undead, for example, make this domain pretty suboptimal.

Troacctid
2016-03-28, 04:36 PM
Corruption or Darkness has Blindness/Deafness. Hatred has Scare and Bestow Curse. Passion has Hideous Laughter and Confusion. Slime has Acid Arrow and Poison. Vile Darkness has Darkbolt. Windstorm has Binding Winds and Call Lightning.

You could also use a reserve feat like Fiery Burst or Storm Bolt.

Snowbluff
2016-03-29, 12:35 AM
Hmm... interesting.

Darkbolt Sounds nice, but I'm not so keen on Deeper Darkness.

Acid Arrow sounds good. Poison is nice, but it feels redundant with Ghoul Gesture (fort or paralyzed). I might go with Slime anyway, though.

Binding Winds actually looks pretty damn good. That's a good spell.

You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks guys. :3

I might pick up a reserve feat, but I'm at a bit of a low level right now. :p

Troacctid
2016-03-29, 01:08 AM
Fiery Burst and Winter's Blast can both be taken at 3rd level, as can Acidic Splatter if you have the Slime domain. They can be annoying to power without Heighten Spell, though.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-29, 01:21 AM
Winter's blast has a really short range though, right? Pretty much all of the damage dealing reserve feats do, though, so I guess it's kind of a moot point. What about Summon Elemental? You're still a level away, but it has some surprising utility. Clap of thunder is kind of useful, and with access to third level spells you should be fine.

Troacctid
2016-03-29, 02:01 AM
Winter's Blast deals less damage and has a shorter range than Fiery Burst and Shock Bolt, and it's not particularly easier to catch more enemies in its area either, so it's pretty bad by comparison. The only upside is that it's easier to power, because of all the [Cold] spells that were added to the Cleric list in Frostburn.

Snowbluff
2016-03-29, 11:41 AM
Yeah, maybe I'll go with the Cold Domain and get winter's blast...