PDA

View Full Version : Unique campaign ideas

RUTRIGGERED?
2016-03-28, 05:54 PM
I'm relatively new to D&D, and since I started playing I've really wanted to be a DM.
The people I will be dming are newcomers to D&D as well, and I want to impress them. Which leads me to my question. Does anybody have an idea for a unique, non-cliche campaign?

krugaan
2016-03-28, 06:01 PM
I'm relatively new to D&D, and since I started playing I've really wanted to be a DM.
The people I will be dming are newcomers to D&D as well, and I want to impress them. Which leads me to my question. Does anybody have an idea for a unique, non-cliche campaign?

If everyone is new, particularly the DM, I don't think "unique" is a good idea. After all, if they haven't played before, everything will be new anyway. Just run the starter adventure so everyone can get a feel for mechanics, and then maybe after you have a handle on it, branch out.

Fundamentals first: combat mechanics and character. Plot and other stuff should be secondary.

RUTRIGGERED?
2016-03-28, 06:05 PM
Fundamentals first: combat mechanics and character. Plot and other stuff should be secondary.

That is a good idea. How could I make their characters meet up?

JumboWheat01
2016-03-28, 06:07 PM
If you can get access to it, the Starter Kit has a great (and fairly simple) quest line that's perfect for new players.

Also, when in doubt, if you need a way to have everyone come together, a good ol' chance meeting in a tavern works well.

RUTRIGGERED?
2016-03-28, 06:12 PM
If you can get access to it, the Starter Kit has a great (and fairly simple) quest line that's perfect for new players.

Does the starter kit involve a premade world?
I will add that I am sort of co-dming with a more experienced friend, at least until I can get the hang of it. I would like to create my own world, if possible, so I was wondering if the starter kit allowed that

JumboWheat01
2016-03-28, 06:15 PM
Does the starter kit involve a premade world?
I will add that I am sort of co-dming with a more experienced friend, at least until I can get the hang of it. I would like to create my own world, if possible, so I was wondering if the starter kit allowed that

I think it takes place in the Forgotten Realms, but don't quote me on it. I haven't read it in a long time. Though I keep rolling the dice that came with it.

Anyhoo, I don't see why it wouldn't let you co-op the DMing, unless your buddy happens to be a player as well, in which case, knowing what comes ahead may soil his experience. After all, you're here on the net, hanging out in the GitP forums asking for help, why can't you do that in the real world to?

mer.c
2016-03-28, 06:31 PM
I think it takes place in the Forgotten Realms, but don't quote me on it. I haven't read it in a long time. Though I keep rolling the dice that came with it.

I am only quoting you on this because you are correct. :smallsmile:

I really liked the starter set campaign (Lost Mines of Phandelver). It's built for 4-5 people, set in Forgotten Realms, and will usually take characters from level 1 to 5. The first few encounters can be brutal, but that's more a result of how D&D works at low levels than anything about the adventure in general. It's a good introduction for the players to how the game/world works, and also a good introduction for DMs. It's not terribly complicated, but you still have to get comfortable tracking a few different NPCs and quest threads.

The ruleset it comes with is paired down to the bare minimum, so only the four core races and classes and the things you need to know to specifically run that adventure. But the whole set is pretty cheap. Good deal for what you get, IMO.

Lycanthrope13
2016-03-28, 06:33 PM
I'm gonna agree that you should stick with cliches for now. Meet in a tavern, random quests off a job board, lots of kobolds, goblins, and skeletons. Once they've mastered game mechanics and learned how to optimize, then you can shake things up a bit. I also wouln't try for an extended campaign right off the bat.

Foxhound438
2016-03-29, 12:13 PM
I also wouln't try for an extended campaign right off the bat.

best advice: first few times you dm, make it a one shot. Wizards publishes short adventures (i believe termed "expeditions") made with new players in mind. Find one that's intended for low levels and go to town. At the end make sure to ask for critique, what did they like, what did they hate, did they feel cheated, etc. Don't take any negative feedback to heart, it's to help you become better at dm'ing.

gfishfunk
2016-03-29, 12:25 PM
best advice: first few times you dm, make it a one shot. Wizards publishes short adventures (i believe termed "expeditions") made with new players in mind. Find one that's intended for low levels and go to town. At the end make sure to ask for critique, what did they like, what did they hate, did they feel cheated, etc. Don't take any negative feedback to heart, it's to help you become better at dm'ing.

Yes, BUT...

The major question you have to ask is 'what are the players looking for?'

If they are looking for a story oriented / rp oriented game with a side of combat mechanics, then you SHOULD take a pre-made adventure and then MODIFY it slightly so that it is about the characters.

I cannot stress how fundamental this: most engaging stories are about the characters. Most D&D games have a story that the characters happen to be present for. If any four to five characters could be doing this exact same thing, then its not their story.

If everyone is new, I encourage you to have a 'Session 0'. Have them establish pre-made relationships for everyone - they already have a history together. Do this as they build their characters, and that way you can answer mechanics questions and they can figure out party balance and stuff. Take their starting relationships and throw them into an adventure through those things.

Just my opinion.

Joe the Rat
2016-03-29, 01:06 PM
Just because Lost Mines is set in the Forgotten Realms, doesn't mean you can't transplant the whole thing into your own setting. You may need to file the names off of the major cities not part of the questline. Or just have a Waterdeep in your world as well.

eastmabl
2016-03-29, 02:06 PM
I'll make a suggestion here:

As a new DM, you probably want to use an established setting. Like your players, you want to figure out mechanics and the art of DMing. You don't need making up your own setting to get in the way of learning the craft.

Once you start to figure it out, then move to campaign building.

Officer Joy
2016-03-29, 02:42 PM
While it is good advice, you don't have to follow it. As long as you have a sorce of advice it's percectly possible to build you own setting. You're playing with friends they'll forgive you if you mess up, and will allow you to re-con if needed.

And the upside of homebrewing is that you can give your players more of what they want. Whithout beeing locked into a existing story. Also never think too much of the story ahead. That way you won't be dissapointed if they go in a different direction.

Tallis
2016-03-29, 02:54 PM

I suggest chips and Mountain Dew.

On a serious note: let the players come up with a story of how they meet up. It gets them involved and can provide inspiration for you. Just let them know that backstories require your approval just in case they come up with something that doesn't fit in your world, but if you can make it work let them have it.

N810
2016-03-29, 02:58 PM
They are all new recruits to an adventurers guild... :elan: