PDA

View Full Version : Support My heart and thoughts go out to the people in Pakistan and other places.

Malak'ai
2016-03-28, 08:43 PM
Disclaimer: This is in NO way a thread about politics, religion, race or any other topic that may cause arguement and insults. I do NOT want it devolving in that either. If you don't feel the same way as me, and any other forum member who adds their thoughts after me, please, I beg you to just keep them to yourself. /disclaimer.

Hi.

I'm a white, early 30's male who lives a relitivly easy life in the little country known as New Zealand.

I don't subscribe to or follow any religion in particular, organized or loosly based.

I lean more to the mid-left politically. Some may call me a liberal.

What does this have to do with the people of Pakistan, and other Middle East/African nations you may ask?

NOTHING

So "Why are you making this thread" you may be asking.

Well, I've just woken up and looked at a website I use to get my daily news and I saw a very tiny articicle about a suicide bombing in a park in Lahore, Pakistand. Now, granted, it's still very early on in regards to "reliable" information as the bombing only happened a few hours ago, but I checked some of the other major news networks and they've had NOTHING about it on their programs.
Compare this to last weeks bombing in Brussels, another horrific act of terrorism, which got round the clock coverage right from the get-go.

To answer that question, even though I'm everything I stated above, it really, really F&%K's me off when the vast majority of the worlds media decide that the mass loss of life in one area of the world is more important to report about then the mass loss of life in another part.

Why?

Beacause I belong to a species commonly called The Human Race.
I don't give a damn about religion/political view/race/sexual orientation/gender association. No. I care about the fact that more innocent lives have been taken in a horrible, horrible way, for a useless (on both sides) cause.

So I'm making this thread to, in some little, most likely ineffectual, way to offer my thoughs, support and love to all the families, friends and other loved ones of all the innocent people in those countries and area's of the world that have lost their lives to this "War on Terror", from either side, that we never hear about.

The likes of the Pakistanis who were in that park in Lahor. Like the whole villages being slaughted by Boko Haram in Nigeria. Those poor souls in Morocco. In Somalia. In every other nook and cranny that (majority of) the major news networks deem to be 'not important enough', or 'not the right type of people' to report on.

I'll end on this. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Crow
2016-03-28, 10:47 PM
Generally it is the exceptional or unusual that makes the news. This has little to do with what is actually exceptional or unusual; rather the perception of those things. If people will find it interesting or it will create an emotional response, it makes the news.

When things like this happen in places like Pakistan, you don't hear so much about it because (deservedly or not) people basically expect things like that to happen in a "place like Pakistan" as they see it.

You see the news isn't The News any more. It's run like reality-based entertainment than what we would normally consider the news to be. Ratings are king.

Malak'ai
2016-03-29, 01:44 AM
*snip*

Oh, I know that the 'news isn't the news' anymore. I've known that for years now, and that leads to a totally different conversation that isn't appropriate for these forums. But that's a not what this thread is for. Only reason I mentioned it was for those who's initial reaction would be 'but I never heard about that on the news'.