PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin (Oath of Harmony) Revenge of the Bardian (Peach)

Turtlemancer
2016-03-29, 05:29 AM
http://orig08.deviantart.net/98b2/f/2013/303/4/c/4c7cbe843f07646daa8b98ce6b3106fc-d6rk582.jpg
Half inspired by the above image half inspired by the 3.5/Pathfinder Bardian power gamer combination that somehow I think is really a cool and unique idea, if looked at it for more than just its statistical synergy. One I have never actually played a Bardian I just thought this would be a cool idea to play with, two this is a vary rough unrefined idea. I am not sure what will come of it if anything but I would love any feedback I may get from you guys. Three, ROCK ON!

Oath of Harmony
Tenets
The Tenets of the Oath of Harmony are as follows.
Allegro Never forget to spread good cheer, A stout drink and a hardy laugh might be all that's stands between a man and despair.
Piano We are all stuck in the same boat, it seems only natural to get along, never forget to try mediation before outright hostility. Provided your foes are not already shooting arrows at you that is.
Counterpoint Every living being is unique and beautiful in its own way, never dismiss someone or something out of hand, and never try to force your own likes, honor, and morality on others. Though don't hesitate to uphold your ideals when it is within your means.
Refrain Never speak just to hear yourself talk, the world is full of sounds and your company full of thoughts. Learn to listen and know again.
Staccato Laws have their borders, Ideals know none.

Harmony Spells.
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

3rd Sleep, Tasha's Hideous Laughter.

5th Shatter, Enhance Ability.

9th Fear, Haste

13th Dimension Door, Freedom of Movement.

17th Animate Objects, Commune.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level,you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Rouse the Righteous
As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer of inspiration, All allies that can see or hear you within 30 feet gain advantage on all their rolls until the end of your next turn.
Woe to the Wicked
As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer of righteous indignation, All enemies that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it gains disadvantage on all its attack rolls and saving throws, until the end of your next turn.

Aura of Inspiration
Starting at 7th level, you and all allies within 10ft of you gain a bonus to all concentration checks and skill rolls that you or they are proficient in equal to your Charisma modifier (with a minimum bonus of +1). You must be conscious to grant this bonus.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Font of Inspiration
At 15th level, Once per long rest whenever an ally within 30 ft of you fails a roll you may choose to make that failure into a success. Your GM has final say on weather or not you can use this to achieve what would normally be considered impossible. (From a purely personal standpoint I would allow it so long as it can be phrased poetically, but is not entirely pointless or game breaking, Balance on a Cloud: Yes, Catch the Rainbow: No, Cleave through an Adamantine Pillar: No)

Song of the Spheres
At 20th level, as an action, you may tap into the Song of the Spheres, For one minute you emit an ethereal melody that soothes the souls of all near you, all creatures that can see or hear you within 30 feet must make a wisdom save if they attempt to take any action that might be considered hostile, even you. If they fail they take 5d6 psychic damage and are stunned, if they succeed they take half as much damage and are not stunned.
If any creature attacks you or one of your allies they take an additional 5d6 psychic damage, and gain disadvantage on their next wisdom saving throw.
Undead and Fiends in the effect are always at disadvantage and and take an extra 1d6 psychic damage whenever they try to take hostile actions.

Further Notes
I designed the Oath of Harmony to embody a lot of things I always wanted to do with a Paladin, to both embrace and subvert the character archetype. I quickly tire of the mindless Zealot, the unholy Blackguard, and the angst ridden emo haired Greyguard. I wanted to create something new and fun. The Oath of Harmony is meant to act as the Life of the Party in more ways then one. Unlike other Paladins who walk around with a broom sticking out of their backside the Harmony Paladin is just as likely to be found buying a round of drinks at the tavern, as out fighting evil. Yet he remains a Paladin in far more than just name, The Harmony Paladin wont compromise his values and remains honorable and virtuous regardless of circumstance. Yet despite that nobility does not ascribe to others the same high standards he expects of himself, and is willing to hear out and understand the reasoning and logic behind others actions even when he might normally disagree. Hardly a Golden Boy, or a Stoic Jerk. This does not mean the Harmony Paladin need be perfect but they don't fall short in the places a Paladin might normally. Some additional Ideas you may want to explore with the Harmony Paladin.

Perform
The GM may rule that you gain proficiency in the Perform skill when taking the Oath of Harmony, even givng expertise in the skill if you already have it. Better yet require Perform and give expertise in it.

Chaotic Good
The Oath of Harmony is almost tailor made for the Neutral Good, and Chaotic Good alignments, while personally I see Alignments as more a learning tool for role-playing and hardly more then a helpful starting point. Can be a really fun Alignment and a great place to take a Paladin to break from the standard mold.

Tenor, Paladin, Swashbuckler, Spy
Tired of the heavily armored sword and board master at arms, I know I am, the Dex Paladin is hardly a new idea and I have to say the Oath of Harmony is a great Oath for that kind of Paladin. Its Flavor and Spells certainly convey a swashbuckling feel.

Redemption
Former criminals, pirates, and general blackguards, always make for interesting Paladins, but drop the angst from the concept for a much more unique experience. Seek Redemption while refusing to sulk or feel sorry for yourself, a lot of nuance can be gained this way.

Arkhios
2016-03-29, 07:25 AM
First and foremost.
Tenants are people.
Tenets are beliefs or ideas a certain group of people like tenants could hold important.

Turtlemancer
2016-03-29, 07:11 PM
Sorry was half asleep when I finely got to posting this.

Looking at this it seems a bit too hippy dippy too. I would like to make it just a bit more Metal but not too much. The basic idea is a Paladin of Music or even a Paladin Art. It might be important to have a Tenet that focuses on enjoying, protecting, and preserving art. I also feel Commune and arguably Tasha's Hidious laughter are a bit out of place.

Most importantly I played around with a lot of stuff that could be a bit too powerful (Or perhaps too weak), so I would like some ideas on how to make them better.

zeek0
2016-04-03, 05:55 AM
Cool. I played a dex-paladin that played music, so this is neat.

I like the extra spells.

I think that the channel divinity options are overpowered. The first makes for a lot of extra damage/hits/sneak attacks. The second allows for some rather potent combinations, not the least involves using it and then allowing all my spellcasting buddies to cast as many debuffs as we can until it can't move.

The Aura is unorthodox... but I think that it can work out alright. I don't think it is more overpowered than other auras, and it is useful. It would work especially well in a caster/skill monkey party, but that is the Bardian I suppose.

Font of Inspiration is cool, changing fate to make us great. But what happens when I try to leap up on a ledge 50 feet high? What if I want to sever an adamantium pillar? What if I want to balance on a cloud?
The problem with being able to succeed on any roll... is that you can succeed on *any* roll. No bars, no attention to reality. Could cause some problems.

Song of the Spheres is cool, flavorful, and makes sense.

You need to add in specifics to the features. What is the range of the channel divinity features? How long does Song of the Spheres last?

Lastly, the Oaths are non-binding. Most of them say "do this, but if you don't want to then don't", or make it wishy-washy. An oath is something you are held to, and are definitely rules, not guidelines. They are difficult and strange and not easy.

I love the concept, keep up the good work, I want to see what this turns into!

Turtlemancer
2016-04-04, 11:54 PM
I have made alterations to the Oaths abilities and Tenets.