View Full Version : What restaurants give hats?

shadow_archmagi
2016-03-29, 07:51 AM
I recently got a job as IT in a highschool, and some of these kids really like cheap plastic hats. Burger king crowns, the firehouse subs fireman's hat... whatever. They love it. I'm not sure why. The important thing is that currying favor amongst the locals is always a good gig, so now whenever I go out to lunch I check if there's a hat to be had. I thought it might be fun to ask GITP for suggestions on where else I can eat for hats, and also to generally discuss the phenomenon of food hats. I'm in southwestern Michigan. Does Europe do food hats?

MrConsideration
2016-03-29, 01:20 PM
Europe does indeed do food-hats in Burger King and suchlike.

TheThan
2016-03-29, 01:26 PM
Burger King does not give out hats. Burger King gives out crowns!

aurilee
2016-03-29, 01:35 PM
When I was in high school it was cool to walk around with a plastic spoon in your mouth.

I kid you not.

When these kids find something funny/amusing/ironic, they will milk it for all it's worth. Just go with it. There's worse things for them to be amused with.

As for where to get these hats...I've only ever seen them at Burger King, although I do remember getting some swag last time I was at Big Boy in Michigan (I think it was sunglasses?). Not sure if they still do that.

If you want to be creative, ask for your sub or burger to be double-wrapped in paper (make up some excuse) or just straight up ask for extra paper. You can use that to make a paper hat. Now you or a lucky kid will have a hat from a restaurant that doesn't give out hats! Plus DIY is always cool. :smalltongue:

Peelee
2016-03-29, 01:39 PM
Krispy Kreme gives out them fancy paper hats. More importantly, Krispy Kreme has actual doughnuts, unlike the bastards at Dunkin Donuts that only have rings of sorrow.

GameOfChampions
2016-03-29, 07:11 PM
Benihana will give you hats if you ask, little cardboard ones that mirror a chefs hat.

Peelee
2016-03-29, 10:30 PM
Ya know what? Milo's will give you a hat.

Go ahead. Prove me wrong. I dare you.

AdmiralCheez
2016-03-30, 09:05 AM
Wow, I must not notice these things anymore. I could have sworn restaurants stopped doing hats in the early 2000s. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

FinnLassie
2016-03-30, 09:24 AM
I have no idea if there's any European places where you get hats... I'll be on a look out when I go out in Finland. Though, I think it's very unlikely. There's not really any family restaurant type of things that would consider that.

shadow_archmagi
2016-03-30, 12:05 PM
Krispy Kreme gives out them fancy paper hats. More importantly, Krispy Kreme has actual doughnuts, unlike the bastards at Dunkin Donuts that only have rings of sorrow.

Wait, Krispy Kreme operates buildings? I thought they were just a brand in the supermarket.

AND THERE'S ONE NEAR ME

I have no idea if there's any European places where you get hats... I'll be on a look out when I go out in Finland. Though, I think it's very unlikely. There's not really any family restaurant type of things that would consider that.

Wait, really? I just assumed that everyone in scandanavia constantly exchanged historically inaccurate horned helmets.

Ya know what? Milo's will give you a hat.

Go ahead. Prove me wrong. I dare you.

I... what?

FinnLassie
2016-03-30, 12:09 PM
I mean, I could make you a food hat right now out of spinach pancakes and lingonberry sauce and mail it over, but I doubt you want a food hat like that. :smalltongue:

I think the offensive invader Burger King is like the only place that provides cardboard crowns etc here in Finland.

Also, Finland isn't in Scandinavia and vikings like... just passed through and traded with the ancient Finns. :smallcool:

Peelee
2016-03-30, 03:14 PM
I... what?
There's national chains, and regional chains, and some state-only chains.
Milo's is a Birmingham-only burger chain. It's huge here. Didn't even know it wasn't national until my mid-20's. The joke is, unless you live in Birmingham, you can't call my bluff.

They also make delightful tea.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't had a donut from Krispy Kreme when the "hot now" light is lit, you haven't truly lived.

the_fennecfox
2016-04-08, 12:39 AM
I was so sad when the Krispy Kreme in Kalamazoo closed, ironically it was replaced with a Vitamin Shoppe.

shadow_archmagi
2016-04-08, 06:41 AM
I was so sad when the Krispy Kreme in Kalamazoo closed, ironically it was replaced with a Vitamin Shoppe.

Gosh, another JKalamazoo forumite! How many of you nerds are in my backyard? I'm actually over in Grand Rapids these days, but I lived in Kzoo for a couple years.

There's national chains, and regional chains, and some state-only chains.
Milo's is a Birmingham-only burger chain. It's huge here. Didn't even know it wasn't national until my mid-20's. The joke is, unless you live in Birmingham, you can't call my bluff.

They also make delightful tea.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't had a donut from Krispy Kreme when the "hot now" light is lit, you haven't truly lived.

Ah. The way it was phrased made me think that hats were a secret codeword at Milo's for "I wanna fight"

Red Fel
2016-04-08, 11:49 AM
In Osaka, Japan, there is a canal-front tourist destination called Dotonbori. In Dotonbori, there is a restaurant - the original in a chain - called Kani Douraku. They have a mascot. It is a crab. There is a giant crab crawling up the side of the building. There is a person in a crab costume in front of the restaurant. You can rest your chopsticks on a small crab tray. There are various crab-related souvenirs. And if you eat there, you can get a crab hat. It is a paper headband, reminiscent of a Burger King crown, with the store's cartoon crab mascot on the front.

Wear it with pride. Particularly on the subway ride home. Nobody will stare at you for wearing a crab hat on the subway.

FinnLassie
2016-04-08, 02:27 PM
Damn. When I have enough money to visit my sister in Osaka, I want to see this Dotonbori place. :smallcool:

Red Fel
2016-04-08, 03:37 PM
Damn. When I have enough money to visit my sister in Osaka, I want to see this Dotonbori place. :smallcool:

It's a whole district along the canal that shares its name. It's sort of like a cross between Venice and Shadowrun in some ways. Absolutely gorgeous at night when it's all lit up.

goto124
2016-04-09, 08:12 AM
Japanese seafood! Fancy hats! I'm sold :smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2016-04-14, 01:54 PM
Japanese seafood! Fancy hats! I'm sold :smallbiggrin:

A Shadowrun city that's mentioned once in a Kill La Kill episode! I'm sold too! Let's go!

AtlanteanTroll
2016-04-15, 03:05 PM
Steak and Shake still does hats, rights?

Peelee
2016-04-15, 03:22 PM
Steak and Shake still does hats, rights?

Wait, do they? I've never tried to get a hat from them.