PDA

View Full Version : Question about the spell animate object

Sir cryosin
2016-03-29, 07:59 AM
If I buy a big jar of molasses for syrup something that that viscosity. And cast animate object and threaten or pretend that it's a ooz. If so can I mix in acid to make it more damaging and seam more real.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-29, 08:08 AM
While a delicious suggestion, I believe animate object is supposed to work on SOLID objects, not semi-solid. All the talk is about using forks or ball bearings. Still, if your DM lets you fly with it, have fun.

Sir cryosin
2016-03-29, 08:21 AM
While a delicious suggestion, I believe animate object is supposed to work on SOLID objects, not semi-solid. All the talk is about using forks or ball bearings. Still, if your DM lets you fly with it, have fun.

I didn't read anything about it being solid. But I might of over looked and Im AFB I use a app for quick spell referenceing. It didn't say anything about it being solid so if someone can quote the book for me plz.

Joe dirt
2016-03-29, 09:11 AM
If I buy a big jar of molasses for syrup something that that viscosity. And cast animate object and threaten or pretend that it's a ooz. If so can I mix in acid to make it more damaging and seam more real.

i think your going to have a hard sell to your DM if you want the spell to do more damage, however if you want to fool people and make it look like an ooze then i would have no problem with it

Degwerks
2016-03-29, 09:15 AM
The spell only says objects and lists their sizes. Says nothing about weight, solids, liquids or gases. It'll be up to your DM to determine if the jelly/syrup will animate.

Mellack
2016-03-29, 02:00 PM
Sounds like a cool idea, but I think you might run into a problem of when is a liquid one or more object. If you pour out only part of the syrup do you have two objects? Is that considered damaging it? Could you then animate the air in a large cube and suffocate people?

Vogonjeltz
2016-03-29, 04:59 PM
The spell only says objects and lists their sizes. Says nothing about weight, solids, liquids or gases. It'll be up to your DM to determine if the jelly/syrup will animate.

Liquids (and gases) lack cohesion, and the spell doesn't grant them cohesion. Per the rules in the PHB and DMG, Objects are destroyed when broken apart. Both the liquid and the gas would be instantly broken apart from lack of cohesion.

So, I'd say yes to the container, but no to the contents.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-29, 05:09 PM
So, I'd say yes to the container, but no to the contents.

So would you say yes to the containers continuing to hold their contents and dropping it on someone as they attack and most likely shatter upon the enemy? (Thinking Alchemist Fire here.)