PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Most likely to survive?

ravenkith
2016-03-29, 08:01 AM
Thanks to a pair (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482379-Bladesinger-with-1-lvl-dip-in-Barbarian) of conversations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482473-Saving-Throws-proficiency-balance-question) I've taken part in on here with Wunderkid and Citan, I was left wondering how to build a character who really has a stacked deck in terms of the number of advantages you can cram into the build in order to make it more likely that said character will survive, be playable, and be fun.

The idea here is to shore up vulnerabilities as much as possible and make someone who really gets the most benefits that will help him (or her) survive.

Ideally, you're going to want to be proficient in as many 'strong' saves as possible and have a high AC. Building in other ways to mitigate HP loss is also always good.

The original debates centered around Heavy armor on a mage and whether or not multiple 'strong' (dex con will) save proficiencies on a character could be imbalancing.

The catch was having to use the standard array of 15, 14, 13, 12 10, 8.

Which got me thinking.

In my mind, there are two approaches to this problem: 1 is to go for Heavy armor as quickly as possible. Doing so really damages your chances of being able to use stealth, so keep that in mind. The second is to try to use light or medium armor to the best possible benefit.

Build 1 (All key components online at level 6, boosted at level 9):
Feral Winged Tiefling (Darkvision 60ft, Fire resist, Flight 30ft, +1 Int, +2 Dex)
STR 14 DEX 12 CON 12 INT 16 WIS 13 CHA 10
Cleric (War) 1/Wizard (Transmuter) 5
ASI/Feat: Dex Resilience (+1 Dex, dex proficiency)
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: LA,, MA, HA, Shields, Simple, Martial
Starting Armor: Chain Mail (16) = Shield (+2) = 18
Save Proficiencies Dexterity +3, Constitution +4 (Stone ability), Wisdom +4, Charisma +3
Other Saves: Str + 2, Int + 3

Your second ASI at level 9 should go into a +1 STR and a + 1 DEX. This will result in accessing plate (minimum AC now is 20, max is 28 with +3 items and SOF, 33 with shield spell), saves become STR +2 DEX + 5 CON + 5 INT + 3, WIS +5, CHA +4. You are always fire resistant, and have Protection from energy.

Special attention should be paid here to the fact that the character has at-will racial flight, which can, under the right circumstances, totally neutralize melee-only opponents, from level 1. Also, The character will have access to cure spells and shield of faith.

While this build will be one level behind on spells known, it will have the normal number of slots.

Build 2 (All key components online by level 8):
Feral Winged Tiefling (Darkvision 60ft, Fire resist, Flight 30ft, +1 Int, +2 Dex)
STR 8 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 16 WIS 11 CHA 13
Bard (Valor) 3/Wizard (Transmuter) 5
ASI/Feat: Wisdom Resilience (+1 Wis, Wis save proficiency)
Starting Armor: Studded Leather 12+ Dex = 14 or Mage Armor 13+ Dex = 15.
Save Proficiencies: Dexterity +5, Constitution +5 (Stone ability), Wisdom +3, Charisma +4
Other Saves: Str -1, Int + 3

At level 3 bard, the character gets a boost to AC as he gets access medium armor and shields, leading him to upgrade to a breastplate and shield for a total minimum AC of 19 (25 max with magic items, 30 max with shield spell as well). At level 9 this character's saves will read STR -1, DEX +6 CON +6, INT +3, WIS +4, CHA + 5. The character will also have no penalty on Stealth, and a + 10 to the roll, thanks to expertise. And agian, you are always fire reistant, and have access to protection from energy. At level 11, he'll get his second ASI, which he could use on anything, but Lucky or Shield Mastery for the cheap evasion could be good, or boosting his primary casting stat.

Special attention for flight, cure spells and the fact that this build gets expertise in two skills (Stealth and Perception, natch) and Jack of all trades (half proficiency on all non proficient skills).

Note that this second build WILL be way behind as regards wizard spells known, but not slots.

Thoughts? Comments? Is the best overall package that can be achieved?

Renvir
2016-03-29, 11:44 AM
I've been running a campaign recently and my brother decided to go with a Paladin and snagged the Shield Master feat. At 6th level he had Aura of protection giving him a bonus to all of his saving throws, he took no damage on dex saves due to his feat, and had heavy armor and a shield for high AC. He also had Lay on hands for HP recovery and poison, Divine health made him immune to disease, could cast some good defensive spells, and was generally a huge pain when it came to trying to balance encounters.

Throw in 2 levels of Rogue for that Cunning Action and I may have just started throwing Beholders, Dragons, and Liches at him to see if anything could stick.

Forgot to mention the class also has a d10 hit die so more HP than most classes.

Oramac
2016-03-29, 12:08 PM
Honestly, of all my characters, the one that survives the easiest is my Tempest Sorcerer.

Basically, start with a level of Storm Sorc for Con saves.

Then 2 levels of Tempest Cleric for heavy armor and martial weapons (and Destructive Wrath, which is amazing)

Then the rest into Storm Sorc.

Go Half-Elf, and with the standard array use: 8, 14, 15+1, 10, 13+1, 12

You can't use heavy armor with that array unless you find a set of Mithril armor (which conveniently removes the stealth disadvantage). But you can still use medium armor and a shield. With that, I have 19AC (24 with Shield).

Storm Sorcs have some incredible mobility as well, which keeps you out of the line of fire and helps prevent getting attacked in the first place.

Instead of ASI's, you could also take Resilient (X) a couple times to shore up those Common Saves too.

indemnity
2016-03-29, 06:45 PM
...survive, be playable, and be fun

pick two :smallsmile: