PDA

View Full Version : Cost of magical prosthetics

weckar
2016-03-29, 09:46 AM
So, basically, I need a replacement arm. It doesn't have to look life-like, but it needs to be functional. Lost the arm in a recent battle, and regeneration isn't really an option. It doesn't have to come with any additional abilities, but if such options cost little more it may be worth considering. I'm Lawful Evil (focus on Lawful), but don't tell anyone.

Geddy2112
2016-03-29, 09:56 AM
Well, the result you want is de facto regeneration, so you can price it like a spellcasting service.

Spell level x Caster Level x 10

7th level spell x 13th level caster x 10=910 gold

Seems fair to duplicate the effect of the spell. Maybe round it to 1000 for the fitting of an arm, making it look real, what have you.

LTwerewolf
2016-03-29, 10:02 AM
Third party, but there is a rule for an arm here. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/variant-rules-3rd-party/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/The-Loss-of-a-Body-Part/Prosthetics/magical-prosthetics/mithral-arm) It feels underpriced given the strength bonus. Larger more general list here. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/variant-rules-3rd-party/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/The-Loss-of-a-Body-Part/Prosthetics)

ATHATH
2016-03-29, 10:05 AM
You can get a graft (there is a type of outsider that will give you fiendish ones for "free") or take the Half-Golem template.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-29, 10:29 AM
One of the Eberron books (Magic of Eberron I believe) has grafts. Plant, Warforged, Undying, and Elemental are all there. Quite a bit of variety. There's even Symbiots that do something similar. They usually cost gold and have some kind of sacrifice to attach. Like ability damage or permanent -2 HP.

Renegade Mastermaker is a prestige class that will let you graft Warforged parts onto your body and slowly changes you into a half-construct like thing.

weckar
2016-03-29, 11:41 AM
while grafts are cool, most of those gain you abilities 'beyond the normal'. I'm merely looking for replacement of what I already had.

My DM (who is reading this thread along but does not have an account) sees sense in having it priced as a cast regeneration spell - but wants to know how much extra to charge for its ability to perhaps eventually be enchanted (I agree that this would be a possibility at higher levels, so I'm interested too).

Gildedragon
2016-03-29, 12:15 PM
while grafts are cool, most of those gain you abilities 'beyond the normal'. I'm merely looking for replacement of what I already had.

My DM (who is reading this thread along but does not have an account) sees sense in having it priced as a cast regeneration spell - but wants to know how much extra to charge for its ability to perhaps eventually be enchanted (I agree that this would be a possibility at higher levels, so I'm interested too).
Enchanted how? Like a weapon? Price it then like it was a masterwork weapon.
Enchanted like a wondrous item: no extra charge.

Geddy2112
2016-03-29, 12:16 PM

The best way to go about this is to masterwork it. Now, depending on what you would want to enchant it as would determine how much it would cost to masterwork. Weapons are 300 gold, armor is 150 gold, and most tools are 50 gold. I would just charge the 300 to masterwork it, because it in an arm meaning you can throw a punch, and this covers adding any other types of utility enhancement down the road.

Be a bit wary about adding offensive or defensive enhancement that could be used in conjunction with armor or a held weapon.

Krazzman
2016-03-29, 01:15 PM
Depends, I would price it differently than both Regeneration or a Masterwork Item(Weapon).

If it were only the hand: I would price it like Hand of the Mage (with a discount due to range limitation). For the Arm pobably going with the full price for it. So anywhere between 500 to 900 gp.

MisterKaws
2016-03-29, 03:16 PM
Considering Mighty Arms and Battlefists do essentially that, I'd say something like 1300 would be enough for the arm. However, it definitely needs to have the price to turn it into a magic item increased to 1.5X, because of the odd slot(Mighty Arm's components, the closest things to your arm, still occupy body slots). You could explain it fluff-wise by saying it's for a special magic treatment process so that the new magic doesn't interfere with neither the spells already attached to the prosthetic to make it move, nor with the magic of items worn over it.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-03-29, 03:36 PM
If you are something of a magic item crafter, consider the Renegade Mastermaker prestige class (Magic of Eberron).

If you are something of an arcane necromancer, consider the Pale Master prestige class (Libris Mortis).

Both of those lose a caster level, but they do add an arm, RM at first level, and PM at 6 (but you could easily move that to 1, because the PM has no abilities at all at first level). It's basically a choice between a construct arm, like a warforged, or an undead arm.

Prime32
2016-03-29, 05:15 PM
Considering Mighty Arms and Battlefists do essentially that, I'd say something like 1300 would be enough for the arm. However, it definitely needs to have the price to turn it into a magic item increased to 1.5X, because of the odd slot(Mighty Arm's components, the closest things to your arm, still occupy body slots). You could explain it fluff-wise by saying it's for a special magic treatment process so that the new magic doesn't interfere with neither the spells already attached to the prosthetic to make it move, nor with the magic of items worn over it.The grafts in different books may have different rules, but the ones in Faiths of Eberron do not not take up magic item slots - Mighty Arms only restricts you from adding other grafts to your arms.

They're pretty cheap at 1,000gp and -2 hp, grant you a slam attack, and give you the ability to equip battlefists (which can be enchanted). Plus if you add another warforged graft at some point then you gain DR/adamantine and a bonus on saves against certain effects, and your natural weapons count as adamantine.

Florian
2016-03-29, 05:21 PM
So, basically, I need a replacement arm. It doesn't have to look life-like, but it needs to be functional. Lost the arm in a recent battle, and regeneration isn't really an option. It doesn't have to come with any additional abilities, but if such options cost little more it may be worth considering. I'm Lawful Evil (focus on Lawful), but don't tell anyone.

Generally speaking, you want something the replaces a casting of Regenerate, but refluffed. Well, the cost of it is simply a casting of Regenerate and thatīs it, meaning 2275 gp.

MisterKaws
2016-03-29, 05:23 PM
The grafts in different books may have different rules, but the ones in Faiths of Eberron do not not take up magic item slots - Mighty Arms only restricts you from adding other grafts to your arms.

They're pretty cheap at 1,000gp and -2 hp, grant you a slam attack, and give you the ability to equip battlefists. If you add another warforged graft then you gain DR/adamantine and a bonus on saves against certain effects, and your natural weapons count as adamantine.

-2 HP and 1000 GP are quite the hefty price for a slam, and most components take up slots, including Battlefist(which is the magic item I'm comparing this arm to).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-29, 05:28 PM
The grafts in different books may have different rules, but the ones in Faiths of Eberron do not not take up magic item slots - Mighty Arms only restricts you from adding other grafts to your arms.

They're pretty cheap at 1,000gp and -2 hp, grant you a slam attack, and give you the ability to equip battlefists (which can be enchanted). Plus if you add another warforged graft at some point then you gain DR/adamantine and a bonus on saves against certain effects, and your natural weapons count as adamantine.The 1,000 gp is for two arms, so cut the price in half for only having one. Unless you decide to amputate the other one and graft both on.

ATHATH
2016-03-29, 06:05 PM
Would becoming Dragonborn heal your arm?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-29, 06:29 PM
Would becoming Dragonborn heal your arm?Eebil characters can't be dragonborn. Wouldn't take.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-29, 08:28 PM

It seems to me that your new "normal" is to be one armed. Thus anything granting you a replacement is "beyond the normal". I honestly don't see why you wouldn't take this opportunity to overcome a major weakness. It would make quite the role-play opportunity.:smallbiggrin:

-2 HP and 1000 GP are quite the hefty price for a slam, and most components take up slots, including Battlefist(which is the magic item I'm comparing this arm to).

Were you making a pun or do you really believe that is a lot for a graft? It's quite the upgrade and worth the cost IMO.

MisterKaws
2016-03-29, 10:23 PM
Were you making a pun or do you really believe that is a lot for a graft? It's quite the upgrade and worth the cost IMO.

It's only really an upgrade if you're going for components; if not, you're reducing your HP and paying 1k for something your friendly wizard would be able to give you effortlessly.

Troacctid
2016-03-29, 11:18 PM
Any magic item can be made as a warforged component for no additional cost, so there's precedent that having part of your body be enchantable doesn't need to cost a premium.

The Viscount
2016-03-30, 06:46 PM
Do you have 1600gp? Buy a Dokar Hand Coral and put it in your remaining hand. Regrow your arm in 2d8 days.