PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #1031 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2016-03-29, 09:57 AM
New comic is up.

Locnil
2016-03-29, 10:00 AM
Best thing for me, is that "Paladin-Off" is absolutely something that keeps happening in my games, too :smalltongue:

Also, excited about the start of a new story arc!

Mordae
Paladins are awesome :smallbiggrin:

Forikroder
wanna see a palladin off tourney now

rgd20
2016-03-29, 10:01 AM
There was no way O-Chul was going to catch a chill.

Bob

-Sentinel-
2016-03-29, 10:02 AM
Yaaaay, I'd forgotten about these two!

I absolutely love the first panel.

AdmiralCheez
2016-03-29, 10:03 AM
Well, when you're in that type of environment, I guess there's not a whole lot for entertainment. I think they could also get away with calling it a "Holier Than Thou Competition."

Remagamer
2016-03-29, 10:03 AM
Yay, Paladins!

Traab
2016-03-29, 10:04 AM
See now, this is what I like to think of when I think of paladins. Good guys who can have fun and not be total sticks in the mud about life in their quest to always be lawful good or whatever. We of course got to see the quintessential badly played paladin with whats her face, miko? The now dead and torn in half fallen paladin who died still flat out not getting it. Its good to see the class done properly.

DolGrenn
2016-03-29, 10:06 AM
O-Chul in a Paladin-Off? Too OP, please nerf.

Bubble
2016-03-29, 10:06 AM
Awesome!

Note, there's a typo in the last panel. It should probably be "..., trying to beat you..."

Jett Midknight
2016-03-29, 10:08 AM
Wow. Two strips in one week. Awesome. Keep up the good work Giant.

3SecondCultist
2016-03-29, 10:09 AM
Hey! Good to see Lien and O-Chul, haven't seen them in-comic in a while.

'Paladin-off', great stuff. :smallbiggrin:

Shekinah
2016-03-29, 10:10 AM
I'm guessing Endure Elements isn't available to pallies.

factotum
2016-03-29, 10:11 AM
Wow, my timing today is good--no comic when I came on the site, so I read the forums; and while reading the OotS subforum noticed a discussion thread for the new comic had appeared!

I expect our intrepid duo are shortly going to bump into a whole lot more evil than they expected to, though, considering Xykon, Redcloak *and* the Durkula vampires should all be around here somewhere...

Flemkopf
2016-03-29, 10:12 AM
O-Chul is back! Whoo! When you have a paladin who is willing to take on a high level cleric and an epic level lich with his bear hands and an improvised quarterstaff (and who beats the cleric), you've got a pretty epic hero. It's good to see him again.

otakuryoga
2016-03-29, 10:12 AM

why waste a spell slot when you can have it in a convenient travel form?

Ashram
2016-03-29, 10:13 AM

They have it. But being a paladin wouldn't be the same without constantly making it hard on yourself. :smalltongue:

Nettlekid
2016-03-29, 10:13 AM
This was a cute one. A nice way to change the scene with a little breath of calm.

headhoncho
2016-03-29, 10:14 AM
Just had to say, I absolutely adored this one. :smile:

Shining Wrath
2016-03-29, 10:14 AM
NO ONE BEATS O CHUL IN A PALADIN-OFF.

It's like trying to beat the Tarrasque in a devouring contest. I mean, seriously, don't even go there.

And almost to the pole? Does that mean the final gate is literally at the north pole? That makes finding it easy.

AceOfFools
2016-03-29, 10:15 AM
"My ring of water breathing protects against the cold as well."

Can we take a moment to appreciate how well done Rich did with this piece of exposition?

We now know how Lien gets to those cold depths without drowning, that she is protected from cold damage and can still breathe underwater, should either come up. All from part of the punchline to the gag in a hillarious transition comic.

Bravo, Rich, Bravo.

Hamste
I love those paladin quotes so much and how joking they are about it.

Syldar
YES. Now we can finally see what the heck Xyklon and Redcloak are up to.

Be honest, O-chul doesn't need a magic cloak to stay warm. He has constitution, the warmth of his paladiny goodness, and sheer memetic badassery.

Kantaki
2016-03-29, 10:16 AM
This is how Paladins should be. Fighting for good (and law I guess), defending Innocents, redeeming evildoers when possible, punishing them if necessary, but most importantly able to be fun about it. O-Chul and Lien are great. Nice to see them again.

GAAD
2016-03-29, 10:20 AM
8-bit Ninja, I believe that Lien and O-Chul have just challenged you. :smallwink:

Myta
2016-03-29, 10:22 AM
I really liked these last updates. Well written and funny charakters, good jokes, beautiful art.

Themrys
2016-03-29, 10:23 AM
Hilarious!

Almost Pratchettesk.
(Of course, Pratchett first implies that it's the superior mind of the Time Monk that wards off the cold, then shows that he's wearing warm pants under his robe, and then ... shows that the snow melts all around his sandaled, naked feet - the equivalent of which would be O-Chul proving that his thoughts can melt ice.)

Calemyr
2016-03-29, 10:25 AM
That was wonderful.

Zordrath
2016-03-29, 10:27 AM
Oooh, didn't expect that cutaway. Great to see O-Chul again :smallbiggrin:

Laurana
2016-03-29, 10:27 AM
Two great characters, one lovely strip. Plus, nice to have it before the Greg confrontation. And 2 strips in one week. Thanks Giant!

Ivrytwr
2016-03-29, 10:29 AM
First shot of the frozen north is great.
Paladin-off! Fill in your brackets now.

Thanks Giant!

gamingfreak10
2016-03-29, 10:31 AM
came to check if there was a comic, saw the 1030 link in the comics. jumped to the forums for some lurking and saw the 1031 discussion thread. dat timing =D

i am so hyped for more o-chul!

Shining Wrath
2016-03-29, 10:31 AM
First shot of the frozen north is great.
Paladin-off! Fill in your brackets now.

Thanks Giant!

I don't know if there are 64 paladins left - but O-Chul is seed #1 in every bracket.

Bluepaw
2016-03-29, 10:35 AM
They're baaaaaaaaaack!!

Time to return to the Order's arrival to the Godsmoot and experience the complete arc in its proper pacing...

EDIT: Having built an arctic ice-cap setting for use at the climax of various campaigns, I can only hope for special north-pole monsters and creepy mechanics like my personal favorite, the gradual onset of polar madness... Okay, fine, the latter is probably unreasonable to hope for with these two.

Surfing HalfOrc
2016-03-29, 10:36 AM
Awesome! Love Paladins who are Good and Tough, but not Dudley Do-Right goofy.

Lein and O-Chul. One of the reasons I wish Crack Pairings hadn't gone off the rails so badly.

StLordeth
2016-03-29, 10:40 AM
Haha, love O-Chul.

Gift Jeraff
2016-03-29, 10:42 AM
Who the hell are these guys? :smallconfused:

Did Rich just give up on OOTS and start writing a new comic? :confused:

MReav
2016-03-29, 10:45 AM
My question is, how long have those two been travelling?

aurilee
2016-03-29, 10:46 AM
Yay O-Chul! And Lien! Two of my three favourite paladins. :smallbiggrin:

O-Chul will easily best anyone in a paladin-off. No question.

So glad we're picking up with them and that first panel was beautiful (art in general has been stellar for the last few strips).

BobTheDog
2016-03-29, 10:54 AM
"My ring of water breathing protects against the cold as well."

Can we take a moment to appreciate how well done Rich did with this piece of exposition?

We now know how Lien gets to those cold depths without drowning, that she is protected from cold damage and can still breathe underwater, should either come up. All from part of the punchline to the gag in a hillarious transition comic.

Bravo, Rich, Bravo.

I'm pretty sure Lien's ring of water breathing has come up before, though it might have been in book-exclusive strips.

Edit: Yeah, in DSTP, according to the Geekery thread. So your point is valid, this tells people who don't own the books something that came up before in the exclusive strips.

RatElemental
2016-03-29, 10:55 AM
Yet more examples of Lawful Good Funky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?55828-Negative-Energy-Ha!-OUR-undead-are-fuelled-by-FUNKITUDE!) Paladins, rather than Lawful Good Square ones.

CoffeeIncluded
2016-03-29, 10:56 AM
Yes! I have missed these two so much!

MReav
2016-03-29, 10:59 AM
O-Chul: The Other Treasure Type O.

Emperordaniel
2016-03-29, 11:01 AM
Hooray, it's O-Chul! :biggrin:

Agnostik
2016-03-29, 11:03 AM
:elan: He's the paladiniest paladin ever!

Peelee
2016-03-29, 11:05 AM
WOOT! O-Chul is back, baby!

Also digging the arctic atmosphere. I've always been a sucker for cold themes in gaming.

Onyavar
2016-03-29, 11:10 AM
Last seen 359 comics before in comic 672 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html). They look great, and have even donned camouflague-ish stylish clothes in the new art style.

I love it, even though it's "just" lots of little white dots and a frozen landscape. I wonder how it works out in the books. Not only humour is lighter, also the the ink consumption will have a smaller ecological footstep than the darker episodes (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0733.html).

Myta
2016-03-29, 11:12 AM
Hilarious!

Almost Pratchettesk.
(Of course, Pratchett first implies that it's the superior mind of the Time Monk that wards off the cold, then shows that he's wearing warm pants under his robe, and then ... shows that the snow melts all around his sandaled, naked feet - the equivalent of which would be O-Chul proving that his thoughts can melt ice.)

Thats a great idea (love that book btw.), I want to see O'chul loosing that cloak later, proving that can indeed warm himself with his thoughts, he just doesnt need to flaunt it.

Kama
2016-03-29, 11:15 AM
So there IS such a thing as lawful good humour.

DaggerPen
2016-03-29, 11:17 AM
Oh, how I missed these two. The main cast is fun, of course, but I've been on the edge of my seat wondering what's up over at the last Gate, so this is a very welcome cutaway.

theinsulabot
2016-03-29, 11:18 AM
That was awesome. Well played.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-03-29, 11:22 AM
Chuck Norris wants to be one-twelfth as awesome as O-Chul when he grows up.

Lkctgo
2016-03-29, 11:25 AM
O-chul: The ultimate paladin

Mozill Marshal
2016-03-29, 11:27 AM
:elan: He's the paladiniest paladin ever!

Love it :D

Nawaki
I was really hoping to see those two again :) they look great in upgraded artstyle.
+ it's nice that they can still be positive when their entire order was virtually wiped out, their city conquered and they are probably going right into the trap of immensely powerful evil lich...

Belksworth
O-Chul is back in the game, baby! Yes! Yes! Yes!

...and Lien.

Gwynfrid
2016-03-29, 11:31 AM
Last seen 359 comics before in comic 672 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html). They look great, and have even donned camouflague-ish stylish clothes in the new art style.

Actually, they were last seen (hilariously) in #709 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html).

Anarion
2016-03-29, 11:31 AM
Now that's a nice cutaway scene. And I'm glad that the Paladins managed to get so far north. I'm really looking forward to this.

fishguy
2016-03-29, 11:32 AM
This is so COOL!

Quild
2016-03-29, 11:36 AM
I had a fangasm for O'Chul's return <3

I thought and hoped that by this time, O'Chul and Lien would already be at the last gate, delaying Xykon with reinforcements. But they're going for the pole instead. I'm surprised.

I love first panel. Would have been made a nice wallpaper without Lien's speech bubble :smallfrown:.

Kantaki
2016-03-29, 11:36 AM
This is so COOL!

Pun intended? But yes, it is cool. O-Chul and Lien have been offscreen far too long.

Peelee
2016-03-29, 11:38 AM
I had a fangasm for O'Chul's return <3

I thought and hoped that by this time, O'Chul and Lien would already be at the last gate, delaying Xykon with reinforcements. But they're going for the pole instead. I'm surprised.

I love first panel. Would have been made a nice wallpaper without Lien's speech bubble :smallfrown:.

Fangasms all around, friend.

Maybe the gate is at the pole?

Nawaki
2016-03-29, 11:41 AM

Technically it was in comic 709 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html)

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-29, 11:43 AM
So these two have been basically marching (or hitching a ride on Razor to cross the ocean, whatever) all the way to the Pole by themselves? That's pretty badass. They're like good-aligned Terminators, except without the metal innards.

Also, I'm now shipping these two.

redzimmer
2016-03-29, 11:43 AM
Oh for the love of the Twelve Gods, Lien. Kiss him!

hroþila
2016-03-29, 11:48 AM
Oh for the love of the Twelve Gods, Lien. Kiss him!
Last I heard, she had a boyfriend.

Sermil
2016-03-29, 11:49 AM
Woot! O-Chul! O-Chul!

Here's hoping for another step in the MitD / O-Chul friendship arc...

DaggerPen
2016-03-29, 11:50 AM
This is so COOL!

Yeah, I thought it was an ice strip.

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-29, 11:56 AM
Woot! O-Chul! O-Chul!

Here's hoping for another step in the MitD / O-Chul friendship arc...

Actually, that's a very interesting point. At this rate, O-Chul and Lien are going to be present when the Order gets to the pole, assuming they don't go in by themselves/get spotted. That would be a good way for the MitD to take that final leap into thinking for itself and fight against Xykon or at the very least NOT fight for Team Evil during that showdown unless Xykon pops that spell to make the MitD kill Redcloak or something

But now that I'm thinking this... I've got a bad feeling O-Chul's going to bite it while the MitD watches, just to give that extra little push.

Peelee
2016-03-29, 11:59 AM

Pun of the month.

Jankmaster98
2016-03-29, 11:59 AM
Back in Blue, and back to paladins! It's been too long!

JoeyTheNeko
2016-03-29, 12:04 PM
yay, my favorite 2 paladins are back.

faustin
2016-03-29, 12:06 PM
OoTS: Deconstructing D&D stereotypes and cliques, one at a time.

Reathin
2016-03-29, 12:16 PM
I really like Lien, but that was pretty much predestined. You don't out-paladin O'Chul. His picture and name (and nothing else) is the entire Paladin description in the player's handbook. For every edition. Retroactively.

Vectner
2016-03-29, 12:18 PM
I absolutely love the opening panel. Such a breathtaking visual. You've done again Rich. :smallsmile:

Kalmegil
2016-03-29, 12:21 PM
Sweet! My two favorite non-villainous NPCs!

Shining Wrath
2016-03-29, 12:28 PM
I was really hoping to see those two again :) they look great in upgraded artstyle.
+ it's nice that they can still be positive when their entire order was virtually wiped out, their city conquered and they are probably going right into the trap of immensely powerful evil lich...

Excuse me, but it says "Paladin" on the label, which means taking on immensely powerful liches in their lairs is not only expected, but enjoyed. It's what Paladins would do on their day off, if Paladins had days off.

So these two have been basically marching (or hitching a ride on Razor to cross the ocean, whatever) all the way to the Pole by themselves? That's pretty badass. They're like good-aligned Terminators, except without the metal innards.

Also, I'm now shipping these two.

Did someone in this strip once say something about a Paladin's sense of honor being stronger than death itself? A little bit of cold toes is nothing.

Actually, that's a very interesting point. At this rate, O-Chul and Lien are going to be present when the Order gets to the pole, assuming they don't go in by themselves/get spotted. That would be a good way for the MitD to take that final leap into thinking for itself and fight against Xykon or at the very least NOT fight for Team Evil during that showdown unless Xykon pops that spell to make the MitD kill Redcloak or something

But now that I'm thinking this... I've got a bad feeling O-Chul's going to bite it while the MitD watches, just to give that extra little push.

O-Chul would die smiling if he knew his death was the last step in the redemption of MitD from the grip of evil. And I kind of expect it, and I think the response of the MitD will get a 3 page, large panel, gloriously drawn exposition as whatever-it-is casts off the parasol, casts off Xykon's domination, and reaches for a size XXX large atomic-powered can opener for the can labeled "WHOOP".

Basement Cat
2016-03-29, 12:31 PM
I thought it had been a really, really long time since we saw these two but all the way back in #709? Wow!

I agree that trying to win a Paladin-Off with Ochul after he spent months being tortured on a daily basis by Team Evil is a losing proposition. :smallwink:

Thanks for the rapid-fire strip production, Giant. Making a fast posted story transition after months of focus on the Godsmoot is probably a good idea.

Ralanr
2016-03-29, 12:36 PM
I wanna make a paladin now. Sir Reginald shall return!

Porthos
2016-03-29, 12:40 PM
:roach:: It's Sir Appearing-In-This-Book!

aurilee
2016-03-29, 12:43 PM
O-Chul would die smiling if he knew his death was the last step in the redemption of MitD from the grip of evil. And I kind of expect it, and I think the response of the MitD will get a 3 page, large panel, gloriously drawn exposition as whatever-it-is casts off the parasol, casts off Xykon's domination, and reaches for a size XXX large atomic-powered can opener for the can labeled "WHOOP".

I'm really hoping this happens. O-Chul and MitD's friendship is one of the sweetest things I've ever read (strip 709 in particular makes me all teary).

I fully expect O-Chul and MitD to meet up at the north pole, but as for what goes down after that...anything could happen.

I was thinking about O-Chul's lines and they remind me of something from Baldur's Gate II. One NPC you can get is Keldorn, an old weathered paladin. Another is a wannabe paladin who hasn't been accepted into an order yet. They had a lot of banter but there was one exchange (and I'll paraphrase due to a foggy memory) where you're walking through the slums and mister wannabe-pally sees a bunch of ne'er-do-wells. He acts all righteous and goes on about how he would smite all this scum. Then Keldorn calmly says "If I could I would save them all".

Because that's what a paladin does dammit and that's what makes them cool...of course most paladins I've encountered have been whiny, lawful stupid, self-righteous and generally intolerable.

Giscard76
2016-03-29, 01:00 PM
"Paladin-Off" oh that made me chuckle

Nymrod
Finally O-Chul is back! Plus, I need to introduce the Paladin-Off as a concept in my campaigns.

King of Nowhere

well, that's what paladins are supposed to be, before they got a bad reputation as bigotic meddlers.

also, I have to insert some paladin banter like that in my campaign world

The Inquisition
2016-03-29, 01:07 PM
The classic 2 paladin 'holy off'! Glad they didn't have any party members around to roll sanity checks :smalltongue:

Auburn Bright
2016-03-29, 01:09 PM
Oh man, just in time. I'm following an OotS liveblog on Tumblr and I've been falling in love with O-Chul's character all over again. I was wondering when we'd see him again.

I love the little lighthearted interactions in the past couple updates, but I'm also getting excited. I know you wouldn't switch characters on us if it wasn't important, right?

Durkoala
2016-03-29, 01:16 PM

Icy what you did there.

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-03-29, 01:17 PM
It's pretty nice to see what the Paladins have been up to; I know that was a pretty big question on my mind. And I love the character of O-Chul a bunch so is great to watch him be all Paladiny. I wonder if this means we'll be seeing Team Evil soon...

NihhusHuotAliro
2016-03-29, 01:20 PM
This is... probably my favorite humor-focused update in several years.

pendell
2016-03-29, 01:24 PM
It's great to see O-chul and .. what's her name? I remember her parents are fisherman, and she defended the getaway ship against overwhelming odds, but I just can't remember her name. Anyway, it's nice to see them again.

I only hope that this isn't a prelude to their gruesome removal from the strip a la the Elvish Resistance :(.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ruck
2016-03-29, 01:25 PM
:roach:: It's Sir Appearing-In-This-Book!

Mr. Stiffly! And he has a new friend!

Themrys
2016-03-29, 01:29 PM
Excuse me, but it says "Paladin" on the label, which means taking on immensely powerful liches in their lairs is not only expected, but enjoyed. It's what Paladins would do on their day off, if Paladins had days off.

No, you are confusing "Paladin" with "Proud Warrior Race Guy". Paladins fight immensely powerful liches because it's right, not because it's fun. (They are, however, allowed to have fun, a fact that Miko didn't really get)

You could argue that to them, doing the right thing is enjoyable, but I don't think it works that way.
One of my favourite Discworld characters is Granny Weatherwax, and she always does what is right. She is more or less grumpy all the time.

LunarDrop
2016-03-29, 01:31 PM
Great to see another page, thanks Rich.

Funnily enough, the same thing has happened in my DnD campaign, except they were having a bard-off. It was so hammy and dramatic.
It was beautiful.

It's great to see O-chul and .. what's her name? I remember her parents are fisherman, and she defended the getaway ship against overwhelming odds, but I just can't remember her name. Anyway, it's nice to see them again.

I only hope that this isn't a prelude to their gruesome removal from the strip a la the Elvish Resistance :(.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Lien, I believe.

aurilee
2016-03-29, 01:40 PM
Lien, I believe.

Yep, her name is Lien and her holy mount is a freaking shark (thus the line about going underwater to fight evil).

I really hope we see more of these two. I've missed them. And they're just so cool.

BTW have we seen O-Chul's holy mount? It has to be more epic that Lien's so I'm struggling as to what it may be. Maybe it's a dinosaur. A particularly stoic and majestic dinosaur.

Vinsfeld
2016-03-29, 01:41 PM
I missed Lien and god O-chul.

They look great in the not-so-new-anymore artstyle

Elenna
2016-03-29, 01:42 PM
IT'S O'CHUL!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Seriously, you have no idea how hard I was grinning when I saw that.

Also, yay Lien. :smallsmile:

Yxylu
2016-03-29, 01:45 PM
Technically it was in comic 709 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html)

He also had one tiny appearance in panel 17 (just inboard of the one with Haley in the treasure vault) in comic 887 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0887.html). Besides that, the last time he was in-screen was March 24, 2010, almost exactly 6 years ago.

LunarDrop
2016-03-29, 01:50 PM
Yep, her name is Lien and her holy mount is a freaking shark (thus the line about going underwater to fight evil).

I really hope we see more of these two. I've missed them. And they're just so cool.

BTW have we seen O-Chul's holy mount? It has to be more epic that Lien's so I'm struggling as to what it may be. Maybe it's a dinosaur. A particularly stoic and majestic dinosaur.

What if it was a lion? That'd look awesome.

littlebum2002
2016-03-29, 01:51 PM
There has yet to be an O-Chul strip which disapointed me

Anonymouswizard
2016-03-29, 01:53 PM
No, you are confusing "Paladin" with "Proud Warrior Race Guy". Paladins fight immensely powerful liches because it's right, not because it's fun. (They are, however, allowed to have fun, a fact that Miko didn't really get)

There's nothing wrong with a Paladin enjoying saving people from an evil lich. Of course, on their day off they are allowed to relax and skip past the villain motives monologue, compared to work days where they have to listen to them recount every orphanage they've burnt down.

Except for Sundays. Sundays are where they compete for the right to be on the homeless shelter rotor.

You could argue that to them, doing the right thing is enjoyable, but I don't think it works that way.

It's not required but it's not forbidden.

One of my favourite Discworld characters is Granny Weatherwax, and she always does what is right. She is more or less grumpy all the time.

For Paladins in Discworld, the two best models are Granny Weatherwax and Captain Carrot. Granny will do the right thing while complaining about it while Carrot enjoys helping people (and might be playing the long game in Ankh-Morpork, but that's also fine for paladins).

My thoughts at least. I personally prefer my Paladins Carrot and my Fighters Vimes.

kiapet
2016-03-29, 02:02 PM
Wow, I pulled up the web page without really expecting to see a new comic! And one that checks in with our old Paladin friends, no less! It's nice to see them having fun like that. Certainly made my day.

8BitNinja
2016-03-29, 02:08 PM
Yay, back to the paladins!

I'm very happy

McStabbington
2016-03-29, 02:15 PM
*Activates poke-ball* "All the feels, I choose you!"

It is very nice to see my favorite lawful awesome character again.

zimmerwald1915
2016-03-29, 02:25 PM
O-Chul's multiclass, he might not have enough Paladin levels to have a mount.

Doesn't stop him being awesome.

littlebum2002
2016-03-29, 02:27 PM

I'm very happy

*Activates poke-ball* "All the feels, I choose you!"

It is very nice to see my favorite lawful awesome character again.

I have no idea why, but I find it hilarious that you two both have Paladin avatars and both come to say how awesome the paladins are.

ti'esar
2016-03-29, 02:35 PM
FINALLY.

I had a sense last comic meant we were about to have a cutaway - but I was not expecting one to the paladins. Wooo!

HandofShadows
2016-03-29, 02:40 PM
And the Giant gives another demonstration of how true Paladins should act. :smallcool:

8BitNinja
2016-03-29, 02:40 PM
I have no idea why, but I find it hilarious that you two both have Paladin avatars and both come to say how awesome the paladins are.

Maybe you should talk about how cool wizards are

Keltest
2016-03-29, 02:55 PM

O-chul strikes me as a traditionalist. I wouldn't bet against a big armored warhorse, for those moments when he needs to stand on a hill with the sun rising behind him before charging down to save the day.

Itrogash
2016-03-29, 02:57 PM
I love those guys.

littlebum2002
2016-03-29, 02:59 PM

I never thought of it that way, V is my favorite character after all.

aurilee
2016-03-29, 03:00 PM

Ooo that would be awesome. I assume it would be a white lion to boot.

Any sort of large noble beast would fit the bill (horse, big cat, bear, ox). Shadowfax would work too...or a dragon :smalltongue:

Surely he has enough levels of Paladin by this point? His time with Team Evil should have given him massive XP.

But no, not having a holy mount would certainly not stop him from being awesome. O-Chul will always be awesome, no matter what.

EDIT:
Ninja'd by this beautiful image

O-chul strikes me as a traditionalist. I wouldn't bet against a big armored warhorse, for those moments when he needs to stand on a hill with the sun rising behind him before charging down to save the day.

Please let that be a panel. Or a wallpaper. Definitely a wallpaper.

Kantaki
2016-03-29, 03:01 PM

I'm very happy

I'm agreeing with a paladin?:smallconfused: Either we are in some kind of bizzaro-verse or O-Chul and Lien are just that awesome.
Most likely the latter.:smallbiggrin:

At least their avatars fit. Mine makes the statement „Yay, the paladins are back.” a little bit weird.

Hamste
2016-03-29, 03:10 PM

And mine is Tsukiko. I guess it isn't that big of a surprise we choose avatars that remind us of a character we like.

Though Kantaki breaks that theme.

littlebum2002
2016-03-29, 03:12 PM
And mine is Tsukiko. I guess it isn't that big of a surprise we choose avatars that remind us of a character we like.

Maybe he secretly is rooting for Xykon.

Elenna
2016-03-29, 03:17 PM

And mine is Haley (as you can no doubt tell from my signature). :smallbiggrin: Although my avatar's Elvenness is more a tribute to Lord of the Rings than anything else, even if I do really like V.

I suppose a rogue cheering for the return of the Paladins is a little weird too, but O-Chul and Lien are just that awesome. :smallsmile:

oddtail
2016-03-29, 03:19 PM
The paladins in Order of the Stick are easily the best paladins ever. That is all.

aurilee
2016-03-29, 03:28 PM
And mine is Haley (as you can no doubt tell from my signature). :smallbiggrin: Although my avatar's Elvenness is more a tribute to Lord of the Rings than anything else, even if I do really like V.

I suppose the rogue cheering for the return on the Paladins is a little weird too, but O-Chul and Lien are just that awesome. :smallsmile:

Paladins as a whole? Not a fan. If every Paladin were like O-Chul and Lien, then that'd be a whole other ballgame.

My favourite character is Belkar. Not quite represented by my avatar, but close enough. I usually play chaotic characters (sometimes neutral, never lawful), with one of my all-time favourites being a chaotic evil elf ranger/assassin (this was before I had ever read OotS). Belkar reminds me a lot of him.

But yeah, I'm a rogue who likes paladins. I break rules. It's what rogues do.

Kantaki
2016-03-29, 03:35 PM
Maybe he secretly is rooting for Xykon.

Nah, no love lost for Team Evil there.
I just like the avatar.

My favourite character usually depends on my mood and/or the recent comics. But usually my favourites are the chaotic characters. And V. Especially post character development.

LordRahl6
2016-03-29, 03:40 PM
Nice to see lien and O-Chul again, but like some of the rest of the recent, post HPOH vs Roy, material it kind of feels dragging. Hopefully, our paladins might have a random encounter.:smalltongue:

Auric
2016-03-29, 03:47 PM
Ring?, I see no ring. :confused: Maybe it's a neck ring? or a double bluff?

Hawk7915
2016-03-29, 03:50 PM
I can't imagine cutting to our favorite Paladins unless something terrible and Xykon-related were about to happen to them. But man oh man did it make me smile to see O-chul, who looks amazing with the art upgrade. Funny how seeing a fictional comic character smile can brighten my own day but such is the power of OotS I guess. Thanks Giant :smallsmile:.

DougTheHead
2016-03-29, 03:52 PM
I like how Rich characterizes the majority of the Paladins in his story as people who are willing to laugh at themselves while still remaining serious about vanquishing Evil and all that stuff.

Ruck
2016-03-29, 03:56 PM

Thoroughly unrelated (she most definitely does not always, or even a reasonable amount of the time, do what is right), but this reminds me of Arrested Development and Buster's description of Lucille:

OSCAR: Your mom called me. I don't think she's happy.
BUSTER: No, she's happy. She's just mean all the time.

O-Chul's multiclass

Source?

Hamste
2016-03-29, 04:04 PM
Thoroughly unrelated (she most definitely does not always, or even a reasonable amount of the time, do what is right), but this reminds me of Arrested Development and Buster's description of Lucille:

OSCAR: Your mom called me. I don't think she's happy.
BUSTER: No, she's happy. She's just mean all the time.

Source?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html

On this note, we have a thread dedicated to recording these types of things called:*Class and Level Geekery XIII - Comic As Written, not Comic As Intended. It is quite well kept. If someone ever says something about classes, feats or stats I suggest looking there before asking for sources.

Killer Angel
2016-03-29, 04:05 PM
This was so heartwarming... :smalltongue:

Caractacus
2016-03-29, 04:09 PM
Icy what you did there.

There's no way you can better it! :smalltongue:

MelTorefas
2016-03-29, 04:23 PM
Awww, I actually teared up a little seeing these two again! They are two of my favorite secondary characters. :D

Peelee
2016-03-29, 04:30 PM

......dragonsarecooltoo

Dwy
2016-03-29, 04:37 PM
Brilliant comic.

Ruck
2016-03-29, 04:58 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html

On this note, we have a thread dedicated to recording these types of things called:*Class and Level Geekery XIII - Comic As Written, not Comic As Intended. It is quite well kept. If someone ever says something about classes, feats or stats I suggest looking there before asking for sources.

I'm confused; don't all paladins start as a different class? How is O-Chul more of a multi-class than any other paladin?

Peelee
2016-03-29, 05:04 PM
I'm confused; don't all paladins start as a different class? How is O-Chul more of a multi-class than any other paladin?

No. In 3.5, paladin is a standard class you can start as. O-Chul started as a fighter, and multiclassed to paladin.

Ruck
2016-03-29, 05:07 PM
No. Paladins are a standard class you can start as. O-Chul started as a fighter, and multiclassed to paladin.

OK, thanks. I was under the impression that, given the extra restrictions on being a Paladin, you had to "qualify" in some sense, like proving you could uphold the standards of law and good to a sufficient degree. Or maybe since the Paladins of the Sapphire Guard seem to be a special case altogether, I assumed that about them.

Peelee
2016-03-29, 05:11 PM
OK, thanks. I was under the impression that, given the extra restrictions on being a Paladin, you had to "qualify" in some sense, like proving you could uphold the standards of law and good to a sufficient degree. Or maybe since the Paladins of the Sapphire Guard seem to be a special case altogether, I assumed that about them.

Aha. I'm operating under the assumption you have not played D&D in general - forgive me if I'm wrong.

What you're imagining is called a "prestige class." Those are classes like Mystic Theurge (such as Tsukiko was, for example) which do have extra requirements to play and advance (usually stat minimums that help limit them to certain levels to begin, but also flavor and mechanical requirements as well). Paladin is not a prestige class, but rather a heavily restricted base class, similar to a monk or druid (monks must be lawful, and cannot advance as monks if they become unlawful; druids must be neutral on at least one part of the alignment spectrum, and must not wear metal, or blah blah restrictions).

Ruck
2016-03-29, 05:33 PM
Aha. I'm operating under the assumption you have not played D&D in general - forgive me if I'm wrong.

What you're imagining is called a "prestige class." Those are classes like Mystic Theurge (such as Tsukiko was, for example) which do have extra requirements to play and advance (usually stat minimums that help limit them to certain levels to begin, but also flavor and mechanical requirements as well). Paladin is not a prestige class, but rather a heavily restricted base class, similar to a monk or druid (monks must be lawful, and cannot advance as monks if they become unlawful; druids must be neutral on at least one part of the alignment spectrum, and must not wear metal, or blah blah restrictions).

No, you're correct. I have interest in D&D and enough working knowledge to understand OOTS but I've never actually played it. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify.

JSSheridan
2016-03-29, 05:50 PM
Thanks Giant!

Stiven333
2016-03-29, 05:53 PM
Yes seeing O-chul's mount would be awesome:smallbiggrin:, I also wonder if he's picked up any new weapons (i.e. Katanas) since he was captured?
Also as Lien knew she was gonna loose can we assume he has at least as many paladin levels as he if not more? Or is it he's more into the paladin philosophy? :smallsmile:

Anonymouswizard
2016-03-29, 05:57 PM

I do like the Prestige Paladin as an idea. I think Paladinhood should be earned, it's not for every holier than thou Lawful Good type, but for that person who will do what's right. In a story I'm writing it's essentially unheard of for anybody to become a paladin by choosing to, the gods pick those they think are worthy.

Roland Itiative
2016-03-29, 06:37 PM
Lian/O-Chul OTP, what a cute page :P

Peelee
2016-03-29, 07:17 PM
No, you're correct. I have interest in D&D and enough working knowledge to understand OOTS but I've never actually played it. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify.
No worries. I highly recommend getting into the game sometime (shocking coming from someone with a 3.5 MM artwork-inspired Ancient Silver-Dragon avatar, i know).

I do like the Prestige Paladin as an idea. I think Paladinhood should be earned, it's not for every holier than thou Lawful Good type, but for that person who will do what's right. In a story I'm writing it's essentially unheard of for anybody to become a paladin by choosing to, the gods pick those they think are worthy.
Flavored Souls are only picked by the gods, but that's also a base class.

jere7my
2016-03-29, 07:31 PM

Flavored souls are generally only picked by evil gods. "Try this one, it's cool ranch!"

Velaryon
2016-03-29, 07:34 PM

O-Chul is such a good paladin that he carries his own mount on his back so that it doesn't have to endure the hardship of carrying him. :smallbiggrin:

No worries. I highly recommend getting into the game sometime (shocking coming from someone with a 3.5 MM artwork-inspired Ancient Silver-Dragon avatar, i know).

Well naturally! Why would gods pick the unflavored souls? They're so bland. :smalltongue:

LunarDrop
2016-03-29, 07:51 PM

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, I hate to relate news of sinking ships. But Lien has a boyfriend, actually. (Bonus content in Don't Split the Party)

It's okay, you can join me in my ship.

Kareasint
2016-03-29, 07:54 PM

And he only needs to be fifth level as a paladin to get the mount. Paladin and Fighter classes both have d10 Hit Dice. The main choice is Fighter for the feats or Paladin for the abilities.

DeliaP
2016-03-29, 08:06 PM

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, I hate to relate news of sinking ships. But Lien has a boyfriend, actually. (Bonus content in Don't Split the Party)

It's okay, you can join me in my ship.

Curious. Would anyone have thought to 'ship Lien and O'Chul, on the basis of that interaction, if Lien had not been female? :smallconfused: Yet at least three posters did.:smallannoyed:

Yay, Lien!!!! (oh, and yay O'Chul too! Just to be contrary)

Hmm... no pokemount ever seen for O'Chul.... I wonder if there was a substitution deal going on, perhaps? It does seem strange that alone of all the paladins, we have never seen his mount...

Now: never mind the paladins, what's happening with my favourite Azurite: where's Niu?!?!

Ruck
2016-03-29, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I'd like to, but I haven't been able to get anyone together for a game. I have some friends that are interested and talk about playing, but they never seen to actually make the time for it.

Angel Bob
2016-03-29, 08:20 PM
O-Chul! O-Chul! O-Chul! O-Chul!

Really excited to see where this scene goes. Are we getting a sneak peek at Kraagor's Tomb? Are Xykon and Redcloak already there, and if so, how will Lien and O-Chul get away? I'm on the edge of my seat.

Mathguy
2016-03-29, 08:23 PM
He also had one tiny appearance in panel 17 (just inboard of the one with Haley in the treasure vault) in comic 887. Besides that, the last time he was in-screen was March 24, 2010, almost exactly 6 years ago.

You win this thread! I thought I was pretty observant and retentive, but only a high class Paladin would be conscientious enough to notice and remember that.....

Grey Watcher
2016-03-29, 08:29 PM

Lien has a boyfriend. O-Chul can only be shipped with his sheer righteousness and perseverance. Or is that an OT3?

Yeah, I'd like to, but I haven't been able to get anyone together for a game. I have some friends that are interested and talk about playing, but they never seen to actually make the time for it.

A scheduling, the highest CR monster of all!

ti'esar
2016-03-29, 08:39 PM
Now: never mind the paladins, what's happening with my favourite Azurite: where's Niu?!?!

Niu is probably not going to appear again. I prefer to think that she tried traveling north to find transportation across the sea to the Azurite exiles' island, but ran into a group of adventurers and became caught up in a madcap adventure on the way. Because that seems like the sort of thing that would happen a lot in this world.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-03-29, 08:40 PM
Ooo that would be awesome. I assume it would be a white lion to boot.

Any sort of large noble beast would fit the bill (horse, big cat, bear, ox). Shadowfax would work too...or a dragon

Obviously, O-Chul will ride a horse. Specifically, a blue roan. A humble, unassuming steed for a humble, unassuming man. But it's tough enough to go all day and all night on a rice cake and a cupful of water. And Twelve Gods help you if you get into a fight with it.

Ramien
2016-03-29, 08:40 PM
Hmm... no pokemount ever seen for O'Chul.... I wonder if there was a substitution deal going on, perhaps? It does seem strange that alone of all the paladins, we have never seen his mount...

Well, we've never really seen a reason for O-Chul to use his mount before this strip. So we can guess that A: he doesn't have one; B: He has one that isn't suitable for the current terrain - either because it wouldn't handle the snow very well, or because it wouldn't be able to carry Lien as well. If she can't keep up, he'd be slowed down to her pace anyway, so might as well let the mount rest.

ManuelSacha
2016-03-29, 08:43 PM
I have a (possibly) unrelated question.
What happened to the rogue girl from the "Resistance" group that survived the debacle with the medallion and the elves and the demons and the implosions?
Hadn't she met with the other Azurites?
And why aren't these two with Hinjo and the rest?

Keltest
2016-03-29, 08:45 PM
What happened to the rogue girl from the "Resistance" group that survived the debacle with the medallion and the elves and the demons and the implosions?

I believe she met up with Hinjo and the rest, as Hinjo received word that Xykon was on the move. O-chul and Lien are heading towards Kraagor's gate in the north pole in order to scout out the situation and, if necessary, delay them for as long as possible.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-03-29, 08:49 PM
As mentioned a few posts above, Niu is somewhere around Azure city Gobbotopia, probably trying to arrange transportation. Hinjo will probably ask the elves to scry on her and teleport her 'home' once the Cloister effect wears off in a few months.

The rest of the Azurites are either slaves in Gobbotopia or trying to conquer an island to use as a new home.

Hinjo sent O-Chul and Lien to Kraagor's Tomb at the end of Don't Split the Party.

thorr-kan
2016-03-29, 10:15 PM
There was no way O-Chul was going to catch a chill.
Sure he will. He'll catch it, redeem it, and train it up to be his coworker.

LuisDantas
2016-03-29, 10:20 PM
O-Chul and Lien are alright. But Hinjo will probably always be my favorite Azure City Paladin.

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-29, 10:22 PM
It's what Paladins would do on their day off, if Paladins had days off.
Evil never takes a day off.

Icy what you did there.
Nice.

As of now, I consider O'Chul to be pronounced pronounced Oh-Kool.

Peelee
2016-03-29, 10:27 PM

Ah, you guys already have the basics of the game down, I see!

LuisDantas
2016-03-29, 10:34 PM

I believe you mean Niu.

You may want to check

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1031.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1031.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0779.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html

As for Lien and O-Chul:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html

DaggerPen
2016-03-29, 10:37 PM
Curious. Would anyone have thought to 'ship Lien and O'Chul, on the basis of that interaction, if Lien had not been female? :smallconfused: Yet at least three posters did.:smallannoyed:

Yay, Lien!!!! (oh, and yay O'Chul too! Just to be contrary)

As mentioned a few posts above, Niu is somewhere around Azure city Gobbotopia, probably trying to arrange transportation. Hinjo will probably ask the elves to scry on her and teleport her 'home' once the Cloister effect wears off in a few months.

The rest of the Azurites are either slaves in Gobbotopia or trying to conquer an island to use as a new home.

Hinjo sent O-Chul and Lien to Kraagor's Tomb at the end of Don't Split the Party.

Not a bad theory, but for DeliaP's purposes right now, I'm afraid she's Niuwhere to be found.

I'll just show myself out.

jere7my
2016-03-29, 10:46 PM
Lien has a boyfriend.

What, paladins can't be poly? I'm no fan of the tendency to bumrush any two characters of opposite genders into bed the moment they appear in-panel together, but the existence of a significant other does not imply another romantic relationship would be impossible.

Ruck
2016-03-29, 11:08 PM
Well, we've never really seen a reason for O-Chul to use his mount before this strip. So we can guess that A: he doesn't have one; B: He has one that isn't suitable for the current terrain - either because it wouldn't handle the snow very well, or because it wouldn't be able to carry Lien as well. If she can't keep up, he'd be slowed down to her pace anyway, so might as well let the mount rest.

C: He's waiting until he can triumphantly ride the MitD out of Kraagor's Dungeon after the good guys win.

What, paladins can't be poly? I'm no fan of the tendency to bumrush any two characters of opposite genders into bed the moment they appear in-panel together, but the existence of a significant other does not imply another romantic relationship would be impossible.

Elan tries to set up Lien and Hinjo, and she indicates both that he's not her type and she already has a boyfriend. Presumably if she were interested in multiple partners she wouldn't have felt it necessary to mention the latter.

A scheduling, the highest CR monster of all!

Ah, you guys already have the basics of the game down, I see!

Haha, well, I suppose I'm glad at least it's not just us. (I am a little annoyed that some of them did have a regular game going without me, but it kind of fell apart because two of them could never stop arguing or actually work as a team.)

Necris Omega
2016-03-29, 11:22 PM
I can't imagine cutting to our favorite Paladins unless something terrible and Xykon-related were about to happen to them.

This is why Julio Scoundrél dives out of the way of the camera like it were the business end of a Gnomish auto-ballista.

That said, trying to out-paladin Ochul? That's a paladon't.

Darth Paul
2016-03-29, 11:36 PM
And almost to the pole? Does that mean the final gate is literally at the north pole? That makes finding it easy.

Either that, or they don't actually know where it is, so the plan is to start at the pole and search in a spiral South-bound. That's something my party would totally do in the same circumstances.

Terrific to see Lien and O-Chul again. Can a Team Evil update be far behind?

8BitNinja
2016-03-30, 12:05 AM
I'm agreeing with a paladin?:smallconfused: Either we are in some kind of bizzaro-verse or O-Chul and Lien are just that awesome.
Most likely the latter.:smallbiggrin:

At least their avatars fit. Mine makes the statement „Yay, the paladins are back.” a little bit weird.

Agreed, considering that you have so many smite warrants on you

ti'esar
2016-03-30, 01:17 AM
On an artistic note, is it just me, or does the color of Lien's boots look kind of odd now that the art style is more detailed?

Asmodean_
2016-03-30, 01:22 AM
We of course got to see the quintessential badly played paladin with whats her face, miko? The now dead and torn in half fallen paladin who died still flat out not getting it.

I swear "doing a miko" is now a term in describing narrow-mindedness. It's like someone applying Occam's Razor but whenever they're wrong it adds thousands to the number of assumptions made. I recall once some stage-whispering to Amnestria about a dwarven politician.

"Wait. Is he doing a-- yeah he's doing a-- look we've got a problem. He's doing a Miko."
"Doing a what?"
"You really don't want to know."

Shoelessgdowar
2016-03-30, 01:32 AM
Who the hell are these guys? :smallconfused:

Did Rich just give up on OOTS and start writing a new comic? :confused:

If you are not trying to live up to your title and Troll,

They are Paladins, they have been around for hundreds of strips, one of them is the Monster in the Darkness' best friend, Mr. Stiffly... strips 655 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0655.html) and 656 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0656.html) might be a good place to understand why most of this thread, even necromancers and wizards, are lauding his maximegaawesomazingocityness.

The other is Lien, she got to hold Lord Hinjo's Junk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html), which was quite long, and wider than you would expect. She pops up now and again.

Together they are probably Lord Hinjo's most loyal and well-liked Paladin followers.

Ruck
2016-03-30, 01:37 AM
On an artistic note, is it just me, or does the color of Lien's boots look kind of odd now that the art style is more detailed?

Well, they're two-toned now. I would tend to agree but not in a pejorative way; I think one of the colors is a shade we haven't really seen before.

Is it just me, or do Lien and O-Chul's respective boots match their hair? (Zooming in, I think Lien's don't, but the tops of O-Chul's match his beard.)

8BitNinja
2016-03-30, 02:06 AM
The classic 2 paladin 'holy off'! Glad they didn't have any party members around to roll sanity checks :smalltongue:

They want a holy off? Check out my white diamond, sapphire, Ruby, and emeralds encrusted guilded platinum holy symbol with a gold chain and silver clasps

Clerics love it, Vampires hate it

roaming_cat
2016-03-30, 02:59 AM
Awesome. It's good to see my favorite paladin again - power, poise, grace under pressure, a sense of humor, and yet awesome in battle and willing to face enormous odds in the pursuit of justice and honor.

It's nice to see O-Chul again, as well.

Very cool to see them bantering like this when there's no one around and they can relax.

factotum
2016-03-30, 03:06 AM
I believe she met up with Hinjo and the rest, as Hinjo received word that Xykon was on the move.

She sent that message via the Sending scroll given her by Thanh just before his terminal encounter with Redcloak, so she probably hasn't met up with Hinjo and the rest, especially as they're now on the far side of the ocean from her.

8BitNinja
2016-03-30, 04:12 AM
Awesome. It's good to see my favorite paladin again - power, poise, grace under pressure, a sense of humor, and yet awesome in battle and willing to face enormous odds in the pursuit of justice and honor.

It's nice to see O-Chul again, as well.

Very cool to see them bantering like this when there's no one around and they can relax.

Is the paladin that you gave all the cool traits to Lein?

Because O-Chul deserves the utmost respect after what he went through.

We salute you O-Chul

Quild
2016-03-30, 04:31 AM

We salute you O-Chul
:thog:: Lien, not Lein.

She's quite a good character too. She has an underwater adventure with Elan in some bonus page of DStP.
I like her lines on the orc's island too. She's fun.
Also, she's part of this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html).

Silferdrake
2016-03-30, 04:32 AM
I love the contrast in attitude between O-Chul and Lien and what we saw of Miko on her travels with the order. It really shows that it's possible to be an easy going and friendly Paladin as well as a fanatic zelot.

I'm also holding my breath for the appearance of Team Evil, it's been a long while since we've seen what they've been up to!

Wildroses
2016-03-30, 05:38 AM
My feelings at seeing Lien and O-Chul again after so long are extremely mixed.

On one hand, yay, I love those guys!

But on the other, uh oh, if we're seeing these guys I love then something really bad must be about to happen to them.

We wouldn't be cutting away to them if Rich wasn't planning to move their part of the plot along soon.

Black Socks
2016-03-30, 07:08 AM
See now, this is what I like to think of when I think of paladins. Good guys who can have fun and not be total sticks in the mud about life in their quest to always be lawful good or whatever. We of course got to see the quintessential badly played paladin with whats her face, miko? The now dead and torn in half fallen paladin who died still flat out not getting it. Its good to see the class done properly.

Exactly! Thank you! Someone else understands that paladins are more than self-righteous jerks!

Bulldog Psion
2016-03-30, 07:24 AM
Hey! Lien and O-Chul! Good to see you again, guys! :smallbiggrin:

(Knowing what we now do about Lien's personality, with a real sense of humor, are we entirely sure that she was unaware of the double entendres used (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html) during that strip someone cited above?) :smallwink:

RatElemental
2016-03-30, 07:34 AM

Given the nature of some fandoms, I don't think that would have stopped at least a couple people. In fact, I think it might have made it more likely for some.*

* Not directed at anyone in particular.

martianmister
2016-03-30, 07:41 AM

Depends on the situation and fandom.

Hokum
2016-03-30, 07:50 AM
aah, this strip made me smile from the heart. thanks for making my day.

Nightcanon
2016-03-30, 07:58 AM
They want a holy off? Check out my white diamond, sapphire, Ruby, and emeralds encrusted guilded platinum holy symbol with a gold chain and silver clasps

O-Chul found one of those in the lair of a devil he converted to righteousness, but he gave it to the local orphanage to buy shoes for the children.

IntelectPaladin
2016-03-30, 08:01 AM
He also had one tiny appearance in panel 17 (just inboard of the one with Haley in the treasure vault) in comic 887 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0887.html). Besides that, the last time he was in-screen was March 24, 2010, almost exactly 6 years ago.

Wait just a moment.
If MitD and o-chul meeting and talking normally was in the illusion...
Oh, great, Now I have horror at the possible meanings of the happy ending being in the "illusion."
Giant..What shall you do, I wonder. What have you planned.

Faramir
2016-03-30, 08:25 AM
And just like that I have 2 new favorite characters. So good (pun intended)

Seto
2016-03-30, 08:29 AM
I'm glad to see those two ! :smallsmile: Paladins are back in the game !

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-30, 08:37 AM
O-Chul found one of those in the lair of a devil he converted to righteousness, but he gave it to the local orphanage to buy shoes for the children.

Those shoes could cast Smite Evil 3/day; the Pathfinder version, as well! That's how Paladin Ochul is.

Nice to see my views on the change of pace vindicated with a timely cut away. Haven't read many comment pages but guessing few people are complaining about this one as pointless filler.

Zonkerbl
2016-03-30, 09:08 AM
This is my favoritist oots strip ever!!!

Quibblicious
2016-03-30, 09:47 AM

The spend their slots on Endure Chaotics.

Kioran
2016-03-30, 09:51 AM
I swear "doing a miko" is now a term in describing narrow-mindedness. It's like someone applying Occam's Razor but whenever they're wrong it adds thousands to the number of assumptions made. I recall once some stage-whispering to Amnestria about a dwarven politician.

"Wait. Is he doing a-- yeah he's doing a-- look we've got a problem. He's doing a Miko."
"Doing a what?"
"You really don't want to know."

I really do not get the Miko hate - I still consider her the giant's unintentional masterpiece and one of the most consistent and tragic characters in the entire strip (if you exclude the retroactively added and unnecessary character assassination strips added in "no cure for the Paladin blues").

In fact, there was a time when the main cast was so thoroughly unengaging (with the possible exception of Durkon) that I was almost angry at them being the protagonists (that was around the time when I actually stopped buying printed copies of OotS). Rich Burlew took considerable time and effort restoring his main cast to being likeable (or at least tolerable) to arrive at where we are now, and it's still not as good as the second half of the first and the first half of the second book.

That said, if and when he finally finishes this storyline, it will be an accomplishment either way. And this strip was funny, much in the same way much of Dungeon crawling fools was funny.

Keltest
2016-03-30, 09:53 AM
I really do not get the Miko hate - I still consider her the giant's unintentional masterpiece and one of the most consistent and tragic characters in the entire strip (if you exclude the retroactively added and unnecessary character assassination strips added in "no cure for the Paladin blues").

In fact, there was a time when the main cast was so thoroughly unengaging (with the possible exception of Durkon) that I was almost angry at them being the protagonists (that was around the time when I actually stopped buying printed copies of OotS). Rich Burlew took considerable time and effort restoring his main cast to being likeable (or at least tolerable) to arrive at where we are now, and it's still not as good as the second half of the first and the first half of the second book.

That said, if and when he finally finishes this storyline, it will be an accomplishment either way. And this strip was funny, much in the same way much of Dungeon crawling fools was funny.

Miko was a well written character, and I think the story benefitted from her inclusion. She was not, however, a likable character (by design), which is why people dislike her.

littlebum2002
2016-03-30, 10:02 AM
In fact, there was a time when the main cast was so thoroughly unengaging (with the possible exception of Durkon)

I'm sorry...

Are you saying that Durkon was the MOST engaging member of the order? The member that was so thoroughly bland and unmemorable that even his fellow member of the order, Haley, had trouble finding anything memorable about him except that he "likes beer" and "hates trees"?

Either you and I have completely opposite definitions of the word "engaging" or we're reading two separate comics.

Just to satisfy my immense curiosity on this matter, which part of Durkon's incredible personality made him so engaging? That he liked beer? Hated trees? Worshiped Thor? Or had a beard? Because that sums up his entire personality, at least up until he got vamped.

Keltest
2016-03-30, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry...

Are you saying that Durkon was the MOST engaging member of the order? The member that was so thoroughly bland and unmemorable that even his fellow member of the order, Haley, had trouble finding anything memorable about him except that he "likes beer" and "hates trees"?

Either you and I have completely opposite definitions of the word "engaging" or we're reading two separate comics.

The joke there was "Durkon is incredibly stereotypical", not "Durkon has no personality at all." Durkon definitely has a personality, it just happens to be the same as like 90% of the dwarven race.

littlebum2002
2016-03-30, 10:08 AM
The joke there was "Durkon is incredibly stereotypical", not "Durkon has no personality at all." Durkon definitely has a personality, it just happens to be the same as like 90% of the dwarven race.

Oh, I understand the joke, what I don't understand is how someone considers a walking stereotype to be an engaging character.

Keltest
2016-03-30, 10:11 AM
Oh, I understand the joke, what I don't understand is how someone considers a walking stereotype to be an engaging character.

At that point, almost all of the order were stereotypes except for Roy and Belkar. Durkon has suffered from character development creep. Its not that the rest of the order started out that interesting, they just got development where he did not.

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-30, 10:20 AM

As one of those three posters, it wasn't really so much this strip being the basis for it as much as it was that this strip kind of made it dawn on me that they're a lot more alike than I originally gave them credit for. I also didn't know about Lien having mentioned being in a relationship in bonus content since I don't have the books.

But really, it has nothing to do with gender, anyway. They were, at the time of my original post, at least in my mind, two characters with a reasonable chance of compatible orientation based on what I had seen of them, currently not involved in a romantic relationship, who were clearly on good terms with each other and capable of having a moment that could reasonably be taken as slightly flirty.

Now that I know Lien is in a relationship already, well, that changes matters.

Emperordaniel
2016-03-30, 10:23 AM
They want a holy off? Check out my white diamond, sapphire, Ruby, and emeralds encrusted gilded platinum holy symbol with a gold chain and silver clasps

A holy symbol that expensive is money that could have been spent to feed those left orphaned or impoverished by paladin attacks. What's wrong with a good old wood or silver holy symbol? The former can even be used as an impromptu stake if necessary. :smalltongue:

factotum
2016-03-30, 10:31 AM
(Knowing what we now do about Lien's personality, with a real sense of humor, are we entirely sure that she was unaware of the double entendres used (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html) during that strip someone cited above?) :smallwink:

"Junk" may not be a double entendre in Azure City. It certainly isn't a commonly used one in the UK, I had no idea what that strip was about until somebody pointed out the alternate meaning of the word.

Kantaki
2016-03-30, 10:38 AM
Agreed, considering that you have so many smite warrants on you

Slander. Lies and slander.
Shouldn't you focus on fighting evil and protecting the helpless instead of harrassing a innocent necromancer?
Even if raising undead would be as unforgivable as you claim aren't there bigger problems than a few of them working the fields or scaring off bandits?

Pyrous
2016-03-30, 10:47 AM
Slander. Lies and slander.
Shouldn't you focus on fighting evil and protecting the helpless instead of harrassing a innocent necromancer?
Even if raising undead would be as unforgivable as you claim aren't there bigger problems than a few of them working the fields or scaring off bandits?

The problem is that scaring off bandits is part of his job. He fears that he will lose income to buy fancy holy symbols.

Girl Wonder
2016-03-30, 10:48 AM
New comic is up.

I hadn't realized it until I read this one, but this is what I've been 'missing' from OOTS in the last couple of years ... cutting away from the main gang and their immediate hangers-on to focus on the other characters in the comic. Whether it be Team Evil, the Linear Guild, or just Miko on an errand, I liked the change-up and the pacing breaks it gave us. After the fall of Azure City, it's become more and more rare. In the 'Don't Split the Party' era, we started cutting away from The Order of the Stick to... The Order of the Stick (though Team Evil still got in its pages, too), but by the time we got to 'Blood Runs in the Family' events, the side characters almost entirely disappeared, and Team Evil became invisible. Sure, there'd be a comic here and there, but it was almost all Order, all the time.

This isn't a major gripe, since the comic has always remained enjoyable, but I hadn't realized quite what was 'missing' until I saw this comic today and found myself really hoping we stay on a side-story with these two for a while.

Lady_Springtime
2016-03-30, 10:53 AM

Flavored? Was that intentional or a typo?

Quibblicious
2016-03-30, 10:58 AM
There's no way you can better it! :smalltongue:

Frozen out from the start...

Kantaki
2016-03-30, 11:07 AM
The problem is that scaring off bandits is part of his job. He fears that he will lose income to buy fancy holy symbols.

Well, if he would do his job instead of shopping for jewellery I wouldn't have to do things that offends him. And he would have enough money for his toys.
What do we learn from this? If paladins do what they are supposed to do everyone is happy.

Whelk
2016-03-30, 11:18 AM

Paladin of the Gaud of Ostentation, huh?

Quibblicious
2016-03-30, 11:24 AM
Flavored souls are generally only picked by evil gods. "Try this one, it's cool ranch!"

I prefer the Buffalo Wing flavored souls, although sea salt and vinegar is really good, too.

F.Harr
2016-03-30, 11:47 AM
Everyone needs a way to relax.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-30, 01:08 PM
I prefer the Buffalo Wing flavored souls, although sea salt and vinegar is really good, too.
I'm pretty sure my soul tastes like burnt sugar and battery acid...

Peelee
2016-03-30, 01:17 PM
Flavored? Was that intentional or a typo?

Phone autocorrect. Amusement was had, ain't gonna change it.

RighteousWarior
2016-03-30, 02:12 PM
HOLY CRAP! When was the last time we saw these two? It was definately way before Tarquin was ever mentioned. O.O

Jasdoif
2016-03-30, 02:39 PM
At least their avatars fit. Mine makes the statement „Yay, the paladins are back.” a little bit weird.Paladins are like necromancers: The really good ones are hard to find amidst the stereotypical ones.

Ruck
2016-03-30, 03:20 PM
HOLY CRAP! When was the last time we saw these two? It was definately way before Tarquin was ever mentioned. O.O

This has already been answered ITT more than once.

Gift Jeraff
2016-03-30, 03:42 PM

Technically, no. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) But I know what you mean:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0704.html (crayon)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html (minor)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0887.html (illusion)

Tobimaro
2016-03-30, 04:20 PM
O'Chul may not be a full paladin, but he is certainly showing us how to play a proper paladin. Thanks, Giant!

8BitNinja
2016-03-30, 05:49 PM

I%m not a stick in the mud

Am I a stick in the mud? I hope not

Shining Wrath
2016-03-30, 06:17 PM

I have an idea.
destined to be the MitD. MitD shall switch sides, be revealed as something awesome and size large, and will agree to carry O-Chul into battle. Xykon will be mildly upset, while Redcloak shall be dismayed.

SunnyFox
2016-03-30, 07:27 PM
A really great update! Lien and O'Chul, shooting the breeze. This comic has a really chill atmosphere, 'sno joke!

As for Lien / O'Chul pairing, I don't see no ring on Lien's finger... well, actually I do, but that's the Ring of Water Breathing, so it doesn't count.

Stay frosty, peeps!

8BitNinja
2016-03-30, 07:42 PM
A really great update! Lien and O'Chul, shooting the breeze. This comic has a really chill atmosphere, 'sno joke!

As for Lien / O'Chul pairing, I don't see no ring on Lien's finger... well, actually I do, but that's the Ring of Water Breathing, so it doesn't count.

Stay frosty, peeps!

Avert your eyes children, the bad puns are here!

Ruck
2016-03-30, 07:55 PM
I have an idea.
destined to be the MitD. MitD shall switch sides, be revealed as something awesome and size large, and will agree to carry O-Chul into battle. Xykon will be mildly upset, while Redcloak shall be dismayed.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20602231&postcount=164

8BitNinja
2016-03-30, 10:29 PM
I have an idea.

What if that's what he wanted, rolled d100 for it, and rolled a 78 (Unicorn)? Now not only did he miss out on an epic mount, but he has a mount he can't ride.

I would cry 4d100 tears per second for 1 hour

MrBrongher
2016-03-30, 10:40 PM
I've been reading since issue 87ish, and I registered just to say this; That, was hilarious. Bravo.

Anansiil
2016-03-31, 01:12 AM
This was quite beautiful, artistically speaking :)

The dialogue was hilarious!
We had the opposite, lol. I played for the first time last year, and the paladin was vicious and almost sadistic (5e) lol. Never learned his alignment because the Dm abandoned us!

Ariko
2016-03-31, 01:22 AM
There snow way you can better it! :smalltongue:

fixed that up for ya :smallamused:

roaming_cat
2016-03-31, 03:44 AM

We salute you O-Chul

Oh, absolutely. But everyone recognizes his bravery, while nobody thinks about the fact that Lien's not only facing dangerous threats, she's essentially having to do it alone in her specialized area - because almost no one else can work underwater the way she can. The city pretty much only has Paladins for defenders, and she's the only one we've seen who has an underwater mount and gear specialized for the work.

ratfox
2016-03-31, 06:51 AM
Ah, romance… :smallbiggrin:

LunarDrop
2016-03-31, 07:28 AM
I have an idea.

Well, great, now I'm going to be disappointed by anything else.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-31, 07:35 AM
I have an idea.

I'm expecting a shire horse myself. Simple, humble, but powerful and resilient. I did think dire boar, but those are reserved for full Orc paladins (they need something to offset their suck). Dire Horse is a possibility though.

Peelee
2016-03-31, 07:37 AM
Oh, absolutely. But everyone recognizes his bravery, while nobody thinks about the fact that Lien's not only facing dangerous threats, she's essentially having to do it alone in her specialized area - because almost no one else can work underwater the way she can. The city pretty much only has Paladins for defenders, and she's the only one we've seen who has an underwater mount and gear specialized for the work.

....the city had an army of defenders that greatly outnumbered the paladins.

Quibblicious
2016-03-31, 07:41 AM
I%m not a stick in the mud

Am I a stick in the mud? I hope not

Well, there is a stick, but I'm unsure of its location or order.

Q

Quibblicious
2016-03-31, 07:42 AM
Avert your eyes children, the bad puns are here!

This is what you choose to protect us from?

Although that does explain why you're here so much :smallcool:

8BitNinja
2016-03-31, 09:40 AM
This is what you choose to protect us from?

Although that does explain why you're here so much :smallcool:

This forum is already pretty safe, I have to do my paladin work somehow.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-31, 01:01 PM
Wow! That was a quick update! Great comic for sure

8BitNinja
2016-03-31, 01:26 PM
I'm honestly having a hard time keeping track of my OotS posting places

Don't worry, that's a good thing. It's been a long time since I've had new reading material.

Quibblicious
2016-03-31, 01:28 PM
I'm honestly having a hard time keeping track of my OotS posting places

Don't worry, that's a good thing. It's been a long time since I've had new reading material.

If you wait long enough, even the old stuff seems new.

Q
:smallwink:

8BitNinja
2016-03-31, 02:23 PM
If you wait long enough, even the old stuff seems new.

Q
:smallwink:

Is that new avatar old? Because it seems new

Coat
2016-03-31, 04:57 PM
This might be my favourite OotS strip ever. Which is saying something.

But: brilliant exposition, great humour, superb art, fantastic scene-setting, and some marvelous commentary and in-jokes on roleplaying and DnD. Which someone who has never played could still appreciate. And a wonderful human relationship between a couple of my favourite characters.

It's just... sometimes a Master dashes off a quick sketch, and it looks so easy. And then you realise the lifetime it would take to learn the skills to repeat it. Giant knows his stuff.

littlebum2002
2016-03-31, 05:02 PM

The "bardguy" avatar (in fact, all of the stock avatars including your paladin) are literally older than the OOTS comic.

8BitNinja
2016-03-31, 07:40 PM
The "bardguy" avatar (in fact, all of the stock avatars including your paladin) are literally older than the OOTS comic.

No, I'm asking if it new to him, I believe had another avatar before

Pyrous
2016-03-31, 07:56 PM
No, I'm asking if it new to him, I believe had another avatar before

I think it was the DrowGuy avatar.

8BitNinja
2016-03-31, 09:34 PM
I think it was the DrowGuy avatar.

That's what I was talking about, at first it was drowguy, now it's bardguy

M.A.D
2016-04-01, 01:47 AM

Yeah, at some point Ochul was referred to as "Sir Not-appearing-in-this-book" bya demon roach, so I suppose that makes a full book in which he didn't appear, along with Lien.

ti'esar
2016-04-01, 02:01 AM
Yeah, at some point Ochul was referred to as "Sir Not-appearing-in-this-book" bya demon roach, so I suppose that makes a full book in which he didn't appear, along with Lien.

He did, in fact, appear in that book - but only as a cameo.

Porthos
2016-04-01, 02:31 AM
He did, in fact, appear in that book - but only as a cameo.

Which works, since Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film did actually appear in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :smallamused:

Quibblicious
2016-04-01, 07:36 AM

I swapped around since in real life I'm closer to a bard than a dual wielding drow.

A USMC biker bard, but a bard nonetheless.

Q

BriarHobbit
2016-04-01, 09:45 AM
Lien and O-Chul vs. all of the fury of the North?! Don't count them out. I feel like we saw the end of the next book in the previous chapter.

8BitNinja
2016-04-01, 09:56 AM
Lien and O-Chul vs. all of the fury of the North?! Don't count them out. I feel like we saw the end of the next book in the previous chapter.

Would be cool, but right now it would be against all the furry of the north, as in wild animals.

Where are they going to find a big lump of evil in the middle of a snowy mountain?

(Thinks back to Moria) Oh wait

Quibblicious
2016-04-01, 10:35 AM
Would be cool, but right now it would be against all the furry of the north, as in wild animals.

Where are they going to find a big lump of evil in the middle of a snowy mountain?

(Thinks back to Moria) Oh wait

And thinks about Narnia... Winter Witch and all that...

Q

GAAD
2016-04-01, 10:36 AM
Which works, since Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film did actually appear in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :smallamused:

REALLY? Where?

8BitNinja
2016-04-01, 01:21 PM

But I remember him distinctly having a face of an infant