PDA

View Full Version : New Weapon (Artifact): The Econtra Edge

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-21, 05:35 AM
The Econtra Edge is a +5 cold iron long sword. The grip on the hilt is striped black and white with the stripes running diagonal to the crossbar. The blade itself has a thin coating of a complicated alloy consisting of mythril, silver and many other metals and rare alchemical ingredients running along the flat stopping just before the sides curve down into the edge. The alloy gives the blade a perfect reflective surface making it like a mirror. The scabbard has a pure white chape (end bit) and a matt black locket with the rest being coated in the same alloy.

Whenever someone carries the blade on their person they are converted into their physical opposite. This means, where applicable, their hair, eye and skin/scale colours and gender are reversed. Their height and weight are flipped around (use the race's average as a midpoint). Generally speaking natural colours for a race should be ordered from lightest to darkest the midpoint found and the colour the same distance from the middle chosen as the new one. If that makes no sense look at the table below, using hair colour as an example.

{table=head]
4|
3|
2|
1|
1|
2|
3|

Jet Black|
Dark|
Dark Brown|
Auburn|
Light Brown|
Strawberry Blonde|
Platinum Blonde|
White/Bleached[/table]

So a character with light brown hair would end up with auburn hair, jet black would become bleached and so on.

Unnatural colours are replaced with their complementary colour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colour) (use any definition of "complementary colour" you want).

The sword has the following traits;

Anarchic The blade is chaotically aligned for the purpose of damage reduction. Any lawful creature carrying it suffers a negative level until they stop carrying it. It deals 2d6 extra damage to lawful creatures.

Speed The wielder may make one extra attack when they make a full attack.

Ability Flip Once per day the wielder may flip the stats of a target. Their highest ability score swaps with the value of the lowest ability score, the second highest swaps with the second lowest and so on. Any spells or spell like abilities the target knows have their effects reversed (e.g. stat bonuses become penalties, good domain spells become evil). The alignment of the target is not affected (unless they cast a spell which has had its alignment changed). To use this the target must be in contact with the blades edge (a successful strike counts as contact), an unwilling target gets a DC15 saving throw and the wielder may use this ability on him or herself or a willing target as a standard action. The change lasts 1d4 hours, days or weeks as per the wielder's choice.

Discarding the Weapon

The user is under no compulsion to keep the weapon, however once they discard it they do not regain their origional form immediatly. Every hour the sword is not in their possesion roll a d6 and consult the table below to see which attribute is restored. If an atribute which has already been restored is rolled then they must wait another hour before rolling again.

{table=head]Roll|Attribute Restored

1|
Eye Colour

2|
Hair Colour

3|
Skin/Scale Colour

4|
Height

5|
Weight

6|
Gender[/table]

CabbageTheif
2007-06-21, 07:12 AM
for name ideas... Mirror Sword? cause it flips everything, and its shiney.... i dunno. but the concept itself is amazing. i am thinking about taking this for my campainge.... i know the exact pc that i want to give it to. mwahahahahaha

YOINK!

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-21, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure about calling it the "Mirror Blade", it sounds a bit cliched.

Maerok
2007-06-21, 08:06 AM
Sword of the Other Side?
Swapblade?
Edge of Reversals?

Shades of Gray
2007-06-21, 08:34 AM
How much does it cost?

jindra34
2007-06-21, 08:35 AM
How much does it cost?

I believe this thing is an Artifact.

CabbageTheif
2007-06-21, 09:03 AM
something this powerful would haveto be an artifact. but i would be inteested in having a cursed item with a similar power as the ability to swap everything physical.

i like edge of reversals

Abbott
2007-06-21, 09:40 AM
Still, shouldn't it be silver instead of cold iron? I mean cold iron is the material for the lawful crowd, after all...

Setra
2007-06-21, 09:45 AM
Sword of Antithesis?
Blade of Contradiction?
Inverse Edge?

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-21, 09:55 AM
Still, shouldn't it be silver instead of cold iron? I mean cold iron is the material for the lawful crowd, after all...

Is it? Anyway, I like the sound of something along the lines of ____ Edge.

Vhaidara
2007-06-21, 12:30 PM
I'm thinking one of the following for a name:
Reverse Blade
Reverse Edge
Mirror Edge

I like the weapon.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-21, 12:32 PM
Maybe I should give it a name in Latin or Greek. Classic languages are cool, right? :smallwink:

EDIT: After a quick google I've come up with Econtra Edge (econtra's Latin for opposite). What do you all think?

Talanic
2007-06-21, 12:59 PM
Turnabout's Edge?

Poppatomus
2007-06-21, 01:07 PM
The Dichotic Edge

Edge of the Opened Mind

Unfixed Edge

Blade of compliments

Blade of the Looking Glass

The Polarian

Antithesis blade

Inversion's edge

Extremely cool idea by the way.

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-06-21, 02:10 PM
Blade of compliments I believe you mean "complements". :smallwink: A Blade of Compliments would be... slightly different, e.g.

Blade of Compliments (Cursed Item)

This sword looks to be an exquisitely crafted longsword; the spell Detect Magic reveals no magical aura surrounding it and Identify identifies it as a masterwork longsword (it does not, however, confer upon the wielder any bonus to attack or damage). However, when it is first wielded, it immediately begins talking in a high-pitched, effeminate, lisping voice, praising the wielder on his every action and attribute. It continues to talk in this fashion for as long as it is in the character's possession, inflicting upon the owner a -4 penalty on Move Silently checks.

In addition, at the beginning of every encounter or the beginning of every hour while the owner is out of combat, the owner must make a DC 15 Will save or suffer a -2 penalty on all rolls due to overconfidence for one hour. If the character makes this save, he is immune to this effect of the weapon for 24 hours.

If the Blade is ever removed from the owner's possession, it reappears on the owner's person 1d4 hours later. After one week of ownership, the owner is loath to part with it and always draws it before any other weapon. He also gains a +2 bonus on Will saves to resist the effect of the Remove Curse spell, which he will always attempt if this spell is cast on him.

:smalltongue:

Pedantry aside and getting back to the threadstarter's artifact, I like it. :smallbiggrin: One question though: does the sword cause any compulsion in the wielder to keep the weapon (and thus its effects) in the manner of, say, a Helm of Opposite Alignment? Or is the character free to discard it and return to their original form?

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-21, 02:43 PM
Pedantry aside and getting back to the threadstarter's artifact, I like it. :smallbiggrin: One question though: does the sword cause any compulsion in the wielder to keep the weapon (and thus its effects) in the manner of, say, a Helm of Opposite Alignment? Or is the character free to discard it and return to their original form?

They're free to discard it and its effects end immediately (except for its stat swaps). Come to think of it I might change that by making the effects wear off slowly.

EDIT: I've added some residual effects, thanks for the idea. :smallsmile:

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-22, 05:30 AM
Why have all incidences of the word "edge" gone bold/brown?

Matthew
2007-06-22, 09:16 PM
You probably did a search for that word. It usually highlights the occurences. Should be in the Url.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-23, 07:59 AM
You probably did a search for that word. It usually highlights the occurences. Should be in the Url.

That explains it. I used a search to find the URL for my sig.

beholder
2007-06-23, 08:14 AM
How much does it cost?

2 coppers

(sorry couldnt resist that. same answer i gave a pc when he asked a shopkeep "how much for a deck of many things?")

good idea by the way

itsmeyouidiot
2008-06-22, 02:53 PM

It's a blade of opposites. It's supposed to look like the opposite of what it really is.