PDA

View Full Version : Can you make attacks of opportunity while casting a 1 round spell?

magicalmagicman
2016-03-29, 11:31 AM
Can you make attacks of opportunity while casting a 1 round spell?

Tiri
2016-03-29, 11:39 AM
If you had a weapon in the other hand that could be used with that hand only, yes. Also, didn't you just make a thread about this?

Eloel
2016-03-29, 11:42 AM
No, you can't. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullRoundCastaSpell)

While casting a spell, you don’t threaten any squares around you.

magicalmagicman
2016-03-29, 11:43 AM
If you had a weapon in the other hand that could be used with that hand only, yes. Also, didn't you just make a thread about this?

This is a different topic. One is about casting spells while wielding onehanded and twohanded weapons, this one is about attacking while casting spells.

On one hand people might argue it takes your full concentration to cast spells so you can't attack while casting, on the other hand I can't find any rule that says you can't make AOO while you're casting.

Flickerdart
2016-03-29, 11:45 AM
No, you can't. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullRoundCastaSpell)
Damn, that's one obscure rule.

magicalmagicman
2016-03-29, 11:47 AM

Ah you found it for me! Does this means even standard cast time spells prevent me from threatening until my next turn? I don't think so but I want to be sure.

Eloel
2016-03-29, 11:47 AM
Ah you found it for me! Does this means even standard cast time spells prevent me from threatening until my next turn? I don't think so but I want to be sure.

"While" means during. For standard action spells: if someone readies an action to or has an immediate action way of doing something that provokes, you can't AoO them while you're casting. Otherwise, it only comes up in spells with longer cast times.

Flickerdart
2016-03-29, 11:50 AM
"While" means during. For standard action spells: if someone readies an action to or has an immediate action way of doing something that provokes, you can't AoO them while you're casting. Otherwise, it only comes up in spells with longer cast times.
Readied actions an AoOs happen before the action that triggered them. If you cast a spell, and someone readied to grapple you when you try to cast, they provoke the AoO because you haven't actually started casting yet.

Eloel
2016-03-29, 11:53 AM
Readied actions an AoOs happen before the action that triggered them. If you cast a spell, and someone readied to grapple you when you try to cast, they provoke the AoO because you haven't actually started casting yet.

For casting, readied actions happen after casting starts before casting finishes - for all lengths of casting. That's why you can make them roll a Concentration check. Concentration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm) says the roll is for getting damaged "during casting".

Khedrac
2016-03-29, 02:03 PM
No, you can't.

While casting a spell, you don’t threaten any squares around you.

Awesome rules find - that really should be in the Forgotten Rules thread. However, what happens if an opponent (e.g. tiny) moves into your square?
The rule says one doesn't threaten surrounding squares, it does not remove the ability to threaten one's own square...

That said, I would be inclined to rule that taking the AoO will break concentration (or at least require a hard concentration check).
Note: this does tie into the question about one or two-handed weapons and casting. If your weapon is two-handed then one isn't threatening any squares while casting as the weapon isn't being 'wielded', merely 'held' (unless one has a natural attack to threaten with).

Eloel
2016-03-29, 02:14 PM
You don't get an AoO against tiny creatures because you threaten your own space - you get it because they're moving out of a square next to you.

DarkSonic1337
2016-03-29, 03:10 PM
For that would work you'd need an ability that allowed you an AoO for an opponent moving into a threatened square, rather than leaving a threatened square. As far as I know there's nothing in 3.5 or pathfinder (barring third party material like DSP) that allows this.

Eloel
2016-03-29, 03:13 PM
For that would work you'd need an ability that allowed you an AoO for an opponent moving into a threatened square, rather than leaving a threatened square. As far as I know there's nothing in 3.5 or pathfinder (barring third party material like DSP) that allows this.

Hold the Line feat from Complete Warrior.

Khedrac
2016-03-29, 03:22 PM
You don't get an AoO against tiny creatures because you threaten your own space - you get it because they're moving out of a square next to you.

Good point - I was confusing the provoke for moving out of a threatened square during a bull rush. But the tiny creature can carry on moving to move out of your square - and that does provoke...

Yes, or the CW feat.