PDA

View Full Version : Ability to Ignore Allies With Harmful Spells

GreatDane
2016-03-29, 01:39 PM
Hiya, Playground. Is there an ability, effect, feat, class feature, etc. that allows you to catch allies in the area of a harmful spell (like fireball or stinking cloud) without affecting them? I feel like I've seen a magic item that might do this, but I can't remember what/where it is. Sculpt Spell has already been noted as a good way to avoid hitting allies in the first place, but I'm looking to both include allies in the area and leave them unhurt.

If there is no such ability/effect/item, what would it be worth if it did exist (and was usable, say, 1/day)?

Jormengand
2016-03-29, 01:42 PM
@Title: There's a way: you ignore the fact that your allies are in the area and then you blow that area to pieces.

More seriously, shapeable spells like fire storm or the sculpt spell metamagic are useful for defining an area that doesn't include your allies.

Khedrac
2016-03-29, 01:53 PM
Yes, it is called Mastery of Shaping, unfortunately it is an Archmage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm) class ability and costs a 6th level spell slot.

Caylin
2016-03-29, 01:59 PM
There is a set of rings that allows 1 wearer to ignore the other wearers spell 3 times per day. Canīt recall source but guessing MIC. As I recall they are rather cheap.

Nuada99
2016-03-29, 02:00 PM
Are you thinking of the Selective Spell metamagic feat, or metamagic rod?

Troacctid
2016-03-29, 02:10 PM
Selective Spell allows you to designate one creature to be unaffected by the spell. Purify Spell prevents all damage that a spell would deal to good-aligned creatures (allied or otherwise), halves damage against neutral creatures, and deals extra damage to evil outsiders. Both are +1 metamagics.

Gildedragon
2016-03-29, 03:18 PM
Get the teamwork benefits:
Friendly Fire Evasion (and Improved Friendly Fire Evasion, it's requirements in the parentheses):
Both from heroes of battle.
As long as everyone has reflex +2* (+3 for the improved version) & spellcraft 1, and one person has (improved) evasion and spellcraft 4 (6) everyone in the team gets the benefits of (improved) evasion against spells cast by teammates
Note that your familiar has the same ranks as you and improved evasion. All you need is a rogue or barbarian with 4 ranks in spellcraft to get the un-improved version

There are some role playing and the like requirements but no cost beyond the skill points and training time... And I think there is a limit to how many members are in a "team"

GreatDane
2016-03-29, 03:22 PM
There is a set of rings that allows 1 wearer to ignore the other wearers spell 3 times per day. Canīt recall source but guessing MIC. As I recall they are rather cheap.
This is what I was trying to remember! Spellguard rings, Complete Mage p.127. Awesome, thanks!

Selective Spell also fits the bill, and I didn't know about it.

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-29, 03:46 PM
A nice thing about Selective Spell is, if you're an incantatrix, you can apply Selective Spell to an enemy's spells so they don't affect you. Walk through their wall of force? Sure. Prismatic sphere? Yep. Dispelling wall? Aye aye.