PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Eight, Monk Tradition (PEACH)

AugustNights
2016-03-29, 01:43 PM
Way of the Eight
Known as drunken masters, monks who study the Way of the Eight learn the incredibly complex dance and sway of unpredictable movement allowing them to gain strength from quickly changing their center of weight in surprising ways. With this knowledge, they learn to convert the ki in their body into a liquid like state, known as wine-belly.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/AugustNight/WayofEight_zpszf2mdpyz.jpg

Sloshing Sword
Beginning against 3rd level, the Way of the Eight Monk suffers far less from falling prone. While prone the Way of the Eight Monk can crawl at half their movement speed, and do not suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls. Attack rolls from adjacent enemies no longer have advantage on the Way of the Eight Monk.
When an enemy makes an attack against the Way of the Eight Monk who isn’t prone, they may use a Reaction, to fall prone, causing the enemy to make their Attack roll with Disadvantage. (The Way of the Eight Monk falls prone after the attack is resolved)

Wine Calderon
At 3rd level, the Way of the Eight Monk becomes immune to the ill effects of intoxication, only experiencing the benefits, including an expanded imagination for improvised weaponry.
The Way of the 8 monk gains proficiency with all Improvised weapons, and treats them all as monk weapons, including improvised two handed weapons, and improvised thrown weapons.
Further, the Way of the 8 Monk can spend a Ki Point as part of an attack to infuse a bottle of spirits with powerful energy. The bottle becomes a thrown weapon that they can throw out to their own move speed, or twice their move speed with disadvantage. The bottle shatters on impact. If it successfully strikes the target they suffer the Way of the Eight Monk’s Unarmed Damage plus their Wisdom modifier in either Necrotic or Radiant damage, as the Way of the Eight Monk chooses. If this attack misses, it still deals half damage.

Buck Mule Step
Starting at 6th level, the Way of the Eight Monk’s curious movement, and tumbling sway renders them resistant to the attacks of would-be opportunists. Opportunity attacks made against the Way of the Eight Monk are always made with Disadvantage.
Further, after the Way of the Eight Monk makes a successful attack against an enemy while prone, they may stand as a free action. (The Way of the Eight Monk stands up after the attack is resolved.)

Steel Flute Counter
At 6th level, the Way of the Eight Monk learns to twist and dance in just such a way that they can manipulate their enemies blows back into other enemies. If an attack misses a Way of the Eight Monk while they are standing, they may use a Reaction to make the enemy deal damage to a target adjacent to the Way of the Eight Monk. (The Way of the Eight Monk falls prone after the attack and damage is resolved.)

Flirting with Sobriety
Beginning at 11th level the Way of the Eight Monk learns to turn their ki into the essence of wine. When the Way of the Eight Monk uses their Stunning Fist class feature, they may inflict the Charmed, Confused, Poisoned, or Stunned condition as they choose with each use.
Further, they may spend a Ki Point, and use an Action to touch an adjacent target and immediately end the Charmed, Poisoned, Diseased, and Confused conditions if any are effect that target.

Belching Beast
A powerful spirit has a powerful vapor. At 11th level, the Way of the Eight Monk can spend a Ki Point and use an Action to exhale destructive energy in a 30 ft. cone, each creature in the area of the exhalation suffers damage equal to the Way of the Eight Monk’s Unarmed Damage plus their Wisdom modifier in either Necrotic or Radiant damage, as the Way of the Eight Monk Chooses, without a saving throw or an attack roll.

Swaying Revelry
When the Way of the Eight Monk reaches 17th level, they have learned to look slow, but move swiftly. The Way of the Eight Monk gains an additional reaction each round, but still may only use one once per turn.
Further, the Way of the Eight Monk may spend a Ki Point to gain an additional reaction in this round (and is still limited to one reaction per turn).

One Leg Strike
At 17th level the Way of the Eight Monk learns how best to throw their weight into an attack when appearing off balance. After making a successful attack while standing, the Master of the Eight may fall prone to deal damage as if they had succeeded on a critical hit.
(The Way of the Eight Monk falls prone after the attack and damage is resolved.)

Notes

This is a tough one for me. One one hand, I know it's OP because it's pretty objectively better than the Open Fist Monk, which I'm using as a metric for this Monastic Tradition's power. On the other hand, I really want to have an ability for each of the 8 Drunken Immortals as they relate to the Taoism style of Zui Quanp (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zui_quan).
I also really like all of the abilities I've written.
Anyone want to give me a hand in telling the chaff from the grain?