PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Making a great enabler

RavensLand
2016-03-29, 02:30 PM
My current pathfinder gm lately likes to go on about how broken my characters are when most combat takes place in open areas with no real thought needed to survive.

So what I want to do is make a character focused on making the team better and watching all hell break loose. I'm currently considering skald so I have some personal martial skill of things go south. I'd love to hear what others would do to make a solid party supporter.

Build is level 8 with a stat array of 18/16/15/14/12/10. Gold is 8,000 and wonderous items are all subject to approval.

Florian
2016-03-29, 02:55 PM
Skald is a bit problematic as Raging Songs shuts down spellcasting, so itīs not the best of buffs for a mixed group. (Itīs great with Fighter, Rogues, Summon Monster and Summon Natures Ally, tho)

The best all-round enabler right now could be Bard VMC Cavalier into Battle Herald, tho, as that gives a truck-load of all-round buffs everyone can use.

Necromancy
2016-03-29, 03:50 PM
Sword and board fighter with twf and bull rush focused feats. Basically 2 shield bashes per round giving free bull rush. Made well, you'll be a battlefield bowling ball.

It may seem ridiculous but it's a battlefield controller with good damage and defense without overpowering a weak DM

avr
2016-03-29, 04:05 PM
Casting spells enables people best IMO. Specifically if you're starting at 8th an oracle with Blessing of Vigor. Probably a life oracle to be even more helpful via healing, with the spirit guide archetype to add some variety and choice to your tactics. And possibly another long term buff via the hex.

Geddy2112
2016-03-29, 04:38 PM
Skald is a bit problematic as Raging Songs shuts down spellcasting, so itīs not the best of buffs for a mixed group. (Itīs great with Fighter, Rogues, Summon Monster and Summon Natures Ally, tho)

The best all-round enabler right now could be Bard VMC Cavalier into Battle Herald, tho, as that gives a truck-load of all-round buffs everyone can use.

Second bard, not only because of the ability to perform to buff, but you have access to haste, and haste is one of the best buff spells in the game as it increases action economy.

Casting spells enables people best IMO. Specifically if you're starting at 8th an oracle with Blessing of Vigor. Probably a life oracle to be even more helpful via healing, with the spirit guide archetype to add some variety and choice to your tactics. And possibly another long term buff via the hex.

And if you wanna go the divine casting route, blessings of fervor is the divine counterpart to haste.

It is hard to lose a combat when the party has haste/blessings of fervor. Although if your DM thinks your character is broken already, they might not like this. However, they might fail to notice you are the one granting the extra attacks/damage and start blaming the rest of the martial classes.

Elxir_Breauer
2016-03-30, 12:01 AM
One thing to keep in mind about the Skald is that each ally can choose whether they gain the benefits (and drawbacks) of the Raging Song each round on their turn. It is a rather potent buff, especially in a martial heavy group. Then you get into the ability to start taking Rage Powers and applying them to the group (Spirit Totem is amazeballs in any group, and only gets better as the group grows).