PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Sneaking in open spaces

Max Caysey
2016-03-29, 03:15 PM
Since there is effectively no facing in D&D 3.5 you cant sneak more that 1 ft. per rank of hide aways from cover, but since shadowy illumination as per the rules of light sources one has concealment. THis allows a hide check. Would this not mean, notwithstanding creatures with special senses, that one could sneak freely around as long as one was not in bright light? - Even right in from of a guard for instance?

Troacctid
2016-03-29, 03:21 PM
You also can't Hide while you're being observed, so if the guard has direct line of sight to you, you can't sneak past him unless you distract him (see: the Bluff skill).

Eloel
2016-03-29, 03:24 PM
You also can't Hide while you're being observed, so if the guard has direct line of sight to you, you can't sneak past him unless you distract him (see: the Bluff skill).

Isn't that only if you're actively being observed? Is a guard observing you if he hasn't seen you yet?

Troacctid
2016-03-29, 03:28 PM
Even casual observation is enough to prevent you from hiding. But if you were already hidden before you moved into the guard's line of sight, then you could roll to remain hidden as you move past him, sure.

Zaq
2016-03-29, 03:38 PM
Since there is effectively no facing in D&D 3.5 you cant sneak more that 1 ft. per rank of hide aways from cover, but since shadowy illumination as per the rules of light sources one has concealment. THis allows a hide check. Would this not mean, notwithstanding creatures with special senses, that one could sneak freely around as long as one was not in bright light? - Even right in from of a guard for instance?

That rule about "one foot away from cover per Hide rank" is new to me. What book/page is it from? It's been a long time since I've made a sneaky 3.5 character (specifically because the rules for it are so unfriendly), but I don't recall ever seeing anything about ranks in Hide turning into feet of distance, so I'm curious to hear more.

Troacctid
2016-03-29, 03:59 PM
That rule about "one foot away from cover per Hide rank" is new to me. What book/page is it from? It's been a long time since I've made a sneaky 3.5 character (specifically because the rules for it are so unfriendly), but I don't recall ever seeing anything about ranks in Hide turning into feet of distance, so I'm curious to hear more.

It's from the core rules.

If your observers are momentarily distracted (such as by a Bluff check; see below), though, you can attempt to hide. While the others turn their attention from you, you can attempt a Hide check if you can get to a hiding place of some kind. (As a general guideline, the hiding place has to be within 1 foot per rank you have in Hide.)

Gruftzwerg
2016-03-29, 04:44 PM
1 ft. per rank of hide
doesn't sound that much.

you start with 4ft at lvl 1.
13ft at lvl 10
23ft at lvl 20 (4,5 squares on the combat map)
imho it seems balanced and I wouldn't call it "freely" hiding.

Max Caysey
2016-03-30, 06:59 AM

I seem to remember it being from page 101-102 in Complete Adventure.

But that is is bright light. I assume that as long as one is "behind" og has concealment one is effectively not leaving cover and thus can move about as one wishes without automatically being notised.