PDA

View Full Version : Bullrushing

ATHATH
2016-03-29, 03:48 PM
Is there a way to get a free bullrush on a charge without sacrificing an attack?

Zaq
2016-03-29, 03:49 PM
Is there a way to get a free bullrush on a charge without sacrificing an attack?

Would Knockback qualify?

ATHATH
2016-03-29, 03:50 PM
Would Knockback qualify?
Yep. Thanks.

Darrin
2016-03-30, 04:01 PM
If you have Pounce, then you might want to look at the text carefully. MM page 313:

"When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack - including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability." (emphasis added)

By a strict RAW reading, once the charge is complete and you have made your bull rush, Pounce allows you to make a full attack.

However, I don't know anyone who actually plays with this particular interpretation.

If you can't get Knockback to work (due to the size requirement), consider the Pushback feat in the Miniatures Handbook.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-30, 04:25 PM
Doesn't Dungeoncrasher fighter let you do damage on a bullrush?

Darrin
2016-03-30, 04:42 PM
Doesn't Dungeoncrasher fighter let you do damage on a bullrush?

In theory, yes, but in practice, no. If you push your opponent into a wall or solid object, then they take damage. However, you can't actually bull rush them into a space that is occupied with a wall or solid object because the bull rush rules specify that you can only push them into an open space that isn't occupied by a wall or solid object.

AKA: "Hey, I'm going to push you into a wall." "Oh... sorry, that won't work because there's a wall in the way."

(This is another example of RAW and Common Sense not being on speaking terms.)

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-30, 05:23 PM
In theory, yes, but in practice, no. If you push your opponent into a wall or solid object, then they take damage. However, you can't actually bull rush them into a space that is occupied with a wall or solid object because the bull rush rules specify that you can only push them into an open space that isn't occupied by a wall or solid object.

AKA: "Hey, I'm going to push you into a wall." "Oh... sorry, that won't work because there's a wall in the way."

Huh. I wasn't aware of that, but I feel like the RAI is pretty clear there, and I think most (if not all) DMs will let a Fighter have a subpar, situational trick without too much fuss.

Campbellk8105
2016-03-30, 05:42 PM

I don't see that on the online srd about not pushing someone into an occupied space. Where is that mentioned?

Also, you can get a brutal surge weapon that allows you to make a bull rush attempt if you hit them with it. Works a number of times per day equal to con + 1. Does not mention anything about only once per round either.

ATHATH
2016-03-30, 08:27 PM
Are there any feats or class abilities that let me Bullrush creatures into walls? I'd like to use the RAW Pounce+Bullrush trick, but that might cause my DM to point out that the Dungeoncrasher Fighter's Bullrush is dysfunctional.

I've only found Awesome Blow so far.

If I take Combat Reflexes and then take the Blooded One template, do I get a free feat?

Campbellk8105
2016-03-30, 08:53 PM
Are there any feats or class abilities that let me Bullrush creatures into walls? I'd like to use the RAW Pounce+Bullrush trick, but that might cause my DM to point out that the Dungeoncrasher Fighter's Bullrush is dysfunctional.

I've only found Awesome Blow so far.

Do I get Fighter Bonus Feats before or after I allocate my skillpoints when I level up?

Unless the online srd is incorrect, there is nothing wrong with dungeon crashing fighter.

Goliath Whirling frenzy spirit lion barbarian 2/fighter 10. Grab yourself the dungeon crashing fighter alternate feature with Imp. Trip. Get a large brutal surge spiked chain and go bananas. Charge hit, trip, hit, hit, hit. Activating your brutal surge weapon as many times as possible after you trip them. Literally you will be dribbling them like a basketball on the ground with your chain.

Also, if you're trying to pick up a feat that requires a certain skill point rank, you'll have to wait until next level. Because you did not meet the prerequisite for it at the time I believe. However, that can be up to DM rule. I've had some games (from same DM) allow both cases.