PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What alignment is this druid and what stats should I give him?

Zhentarim
2016-03-29, 09:03 PM
I am yet to play this druid in a game, or even set up an app for him, but here we go:

Romeo Jules was abandoned by his Taldan parents and almost died at the ripe old age of 3 months. That is, he would have died if he wasn't adopted by a wolf pack that for some reason decided not to eat him (excuse the cliché). When he was 4, he was "rescued" by some adventurers who decided to adopt him. He learned to speak common by age 8, but to this day he has trouble forming complete sentences or speaking in a grammatically correct way, and he often just resorts to gestures if he wants to communicate. He knows very little in the way of formal education, but he is very perceptive and can pick up on subtle cues from people and events others miss. He is extremely selfish, and though he values the natural world immensely, he resents working with others and will attempt to find alone time when he is not required by his word to go along with something (this would rarely be a problem in-game as I would work with the DM to make him make some sort of promise to the others that drags him along). He admires the fierce predators of nature and aspires to emulate their vicious moves, and to kill his enemies "perfectly". He usually carries seeds with him that he has picked up on his travels and will cultivate wild gardens in places scourged by his enemies.

I got this color alignment, by the way:
http://rumandmonkey.com/sites/default/files/styles/main_image/public/testgenimgs/20806.jpg?itok=OfRy1HeY

I think this druid is some flavor of evil, but he seems to have chaotic and lawful tendencies as well. What do you think?

Gildedragon
2016-03-29, 09:20 PM
NE with C tendencies.
Very high Con, moderate int, average to high wisdom (there isn't enough there to gauge his charisma or self assuredness, I'd guess lowish, but all ranks possible into handle animal, Kn nature and like skills)
Kinda surprised he isn't a team player, seeing how wolves hunt in packs. In fact to make him party-playable I'd gun for making him more of a pack man.

I'd also expect him to have some levels in rogue (perfect kills, precision damage) or scout

Zhentarim
2016-03-29, 09:33 PM
NE with C tendencies.
Very high Con, moderate int, average to high wisdom (there isn't enough there to gauge his charisma or self assuredness, I'd guess lowish, but all ranks possible into handle animal, Kn nature and like skills)
Kinda surprised he isn't a team player, seeing how wolves hunt in packs. In fact to make him party-playable I'd gun for making him more of a pack man.

noted and will change

Gildedragon
2016-03-29, 09:53 PM
noted and will change

Also note that alignment isn't an "all the time" thing but a tendency in character and ethos.
He might feel and believe only the strong survive and the like... But his animal companion is a wolf runt he's cared for.

Zhentarim
2016-03-29, 10:27 PM
Also note that alignment isn't an "all the time" thing but a tendency in character and ethos.
He might feel and believe only the strong survive and the like... But his animal companion is a wolf runt he's cared for.

interesting idea. now I just need to find a game for this guy.

Geddy2112
2016-03-30, 01:41 AM
I would say high wisdom, below average int, average to below average charisma, average to high physical stats(no real info on physical stats in the description).

He is certainly not good, but being selfish does not make somebody evil. Evil requires actively hurting other things to get ahead, so while somebody might be really selfish, if they are not willing to cross the line of harming innocent life to get ahead, they are still neutral. Yes, he does love the ferocity of wolves and wants to kill his enemies perfectly but these are also not inherently evil. It could be argued that he respects life by wanting death to be swift and the kill perfect. The big question here are who are his enemies? Random people? Anyone he can kill to get ahead? People he sees as food? If he only acts in self defense/the defense of others, it is at worst neutral. Wolves never kill for fun, only in need of food or defense of self/pack. It is not evil for humanoids to kill and eat animals, and it is neutral for animals to kill and eat each other. Likewise, respecting the apex predators hunting is not really evil or good. If anything, this is slightly lawful to see and respect the ecological order. Packs also have structure, indicating some law. I don't really see any chaotic in his actions.

The seed thing is also maybe a bit lawful, as he is returning things to the natural cycle-seeding a field so that it may grow again. Or maybe neutral, by bringing nature back to balance. Or maybe even good-planting seeds is creating life after all, and fields/forests shelter life.

Overall I say neutral, with evil and lawful leanings. Also, second the pack mentality as a good way to work with an adventuring party. Wolves are not seen as weak creatures that are strong in a pack-they are a group of strong and fierce creatures who work together.

hamishspence
2016-03-30, 02:06 AM
while somebody might be really selfish, if they are not willing to cross the line of harming innocent life to get ahead, they are still neutral.

I'd allow for a certain amount of "committing evil against the not-innocent" to bring a character into Evil alignment - a vigilante who tortures for pleasure, or destroys souls, or something similar could be Evil even with a "never harm the innocent" principle in their code.

Geddy2112
2016-03-30, 09:10 AM
I'd allow for a certain amount of "committing evil against the not-innocent" to bring a character into Evil alignment - a vigilante who tortures for pleasure, or destroys souls, or something similar could be Evil even with a "never harm the innocent" principle in their code.

A good point! Certainly, actions that show a blatant disregard for the sanctity of life are indeed evil. Torture, extreme cruelty, mental/emotional manipulation, and black magic like necromancy certainly stand against all that is good and sacred.

I did not mention this because I did not see the character as the type to get involved in this kind of stuff, but you make a very valid point that just because you won't hurt the innocent does not always mean you are nonevil.