PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bonus Feats

Thurbane
2016-03-29, 09:59 PM
Looking for ways to pick up bonus feats.

I have some criteria though:

1.) Not looking for class or racial bonus feats
2.) Cannot be feats granted by an item (i.e. Gloves of the Balanced Hand)
3.) Magical Locations are OK, but would prefer more useful feats than Iron Will etc.
4.) I'm aware of bonus Vile feats for serving an Elder Evil
5.) I'm aware of bonus feats granted by VoP
6.) I'm aware of flaws
7.) I'm aware of Dark Chaos Shuffle

...other than that, happy to hear all suggestions!

This isn't for a specific build, just a lot of my builds end up very feat starved.

Cheers - T

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-29, 10:02 PM
A psion with Psicrystal Affinity can use feat leech on it to gain all of its psionic feats as his own, if he has a good Wisdom score.

You don't like racial bonus feats? But alter selfing into a human can get you any feat you qualify for. Seems pretty amazing, to me.

Multiclassing can get you lots of Armor and Shield Proficiency feats to swap out.

Thurbane
2016-03-29, 10:04 PM
You don't like racial bonus feats? But alter selfing into a human can get you any feat you qualify for. Seems pretty amazing, to me.
Not that I don't like them, just that I'm already aware of them. :smallwink:

Multiclassing can get you lots of Armor and Shield Proficiency feats to swap out.
Notes, but looking for ways independent of class levels.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-29, 10:16 PM
Looking for ways to pick up bonus feats.

I have some criteria though:

1.) Not looking for class or racial bonus feats
2.) Cannot be feats granted by an item (i.e. Gloves of the Balanced Hand)
3.) Magical Locations are OK, but would prefer more useful feats than Iron Will etc.
4.) I'm aware of bonus Vile feats for serving an Elder Evil
5.) I'm aware of bonus feats granted by VoP
6.) I'm aware of flaws
7.) I'm aware of Dark Chaos Shuffle

...other than that, happy to hear all suggestions!

This isn't for a specific build, just a lot of my builds end up very feat starved.

Cheers - T

The only one that you've missed, that I can see, is selling your soul. FC2 describes the ins and outs of signing a faustian pact.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-29, 10:22 PM
The curse of lycanthropy spell can temporarily grant you a huge number of hit dice, which you can use to pick up feats and skills.

Heroics gives you a fighter bonus feat.

Mirror move can grant you quite a few.

Using fusion on another character grants you that character's feats.

And inspire greatness can grant you a feat if it takes you past the 3 HD threshold.

BowStreetRunner
2016-03-29, 10:23 PM
Quite a few cleric domain powers can grant bonus feats. So any ways to gain cleric domain powers without being a cleric would also be useful to you, as long as the available domain powers include ones that grant bonus feats.

Complete Mage page 151 has the Metamagic Storm location which grants a metamagic feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-29, 10:25 PM
Quite a few cleric domain powers can grant bonus feats. So any ways to gain cleric domain powers without being a cleric would also be useful to you, as long as the available domain powers include ones that grant bonus feats.Taking Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment [War or Metal Domains]) grants you two feats each to swap out.

[edit] Being a Dragonwrought kobold qualifies you for the wyrm of war draconic archetype. One fighter or dragon-based feat every four levels, and all Armor and Shield Proficiency feats, as well as all martial weapon proficiencies, so long as you give up any possibility of racial spellcasting.

Eloel
2016-03-29, 10:51 PM
Buy your DM a pizza.

ShurikVch
2016-03-30, 08:52 AM
The curse of lycanthropy spell can temporarily grant you a huge number of hit dice, which you can use to pick up feats and skills.Curse of Lycanthropy was radically changed in the SpellCompendium - it's a SoD now, and casting it on yourself is suicide
(I, personally, may consider this case as "two completely different spells which are just have the same name", but some people wouldn't agree)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-30, 09:10 AM
Curse of Lycanthropy was radically changed in the SpellCompendium - it's a SoD now, and casting it on yourself is suicide
(I, personally, may consider this case as "two completely different spells which are just have the same name", but some people wouldn't agree)It has to be a different spell, because the two versions have gone back-and-forth-and-back-again multiple times, each being updated (ie, reprinted) several times in different books. And they're not even vaguely similar.

The one in the Spell Compendium is stupid, and the authors should feel stupid.

Tiri
2016-03-30, 09:39 AM
That doesn't stop it being the latest official version of the spell, though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-30, 09:40 AM
That doesn't stop it being the latest official version of the spell, though.Then learn the other spell under a different name.

Tiri
2016-03-30, 09:43 AM
Then learn the other spell under a different name.

There is no other spell. It's all the same spell, just defaulting to the latest version of it. You could research a spell identical to an older version of it, though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-30, 10:28 AM
There is no other spell. It's all the same spell, just defaulting to the latest version of it. You could research a spell identical to an older version of it, though.Different spell with the same name, actually. You just have to read it to see that.

ATHATH
2016-03-30, 10:53 AM
My two cents: It's technically the same spell, but the DM would be justified in letting you use the old version.

The Cerebrosis feat can be obtained with a few thousand GP and a permament point of CON loss.

Tiri
2016-03-30, 10:56 AM
Different spell with the same name, actually. You just have to read it to see that.

Ok, yes, using common sense, but this is RAW I am talking about.

Jowgen
2016-03-30, 11:17 AM
I've got a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400840-List-of-Feat-Granting-Items-Locations-Grafts) that might be of interest. Most are items, but I've covered magical locations and Grafts (which you may or may not consider items) as well.

Bullet06320
2016-05-02, 12:27 AM
The Rosetta Stone, Dragon 297, studying it for a week grants the Polyglot feat

Gildedragon
2016-05-02, 12:51 AM
Robbing the Iron Wyrm Vault gets you tactile trapsmith as a location feat
Heward's Hall gives you Skill Focus (Perform (any)) and a variant of it gives you any Skill Focus.

Ger. Bessa
2016-05-02, 10:54 AM
Unlocking the powers of weapons of legacy are feats granted by rituals. DCFS those away !

Troacctid
2016-05-02, 01:12 PM
Reaching a certain level of taint grants you a bonus feat, per HH.

Bronk
2016-05-02, 02:28 PM
The Rosetta Stone, Dragon 297, studying it for a week grants the Polyglot feat

Hmm, plus the each of the 31 Codex Hammers grants you a different Epic Skill Focus feat, and some of the others in the same article grant situational feats or abilities that are similar to feats.

Windrammer
2016-05-02, 05:48 PM
The Steelblooded Heroic Path from the Midnight Campaign Setting gives you 5 bonus fighter feats over the course of twenty levels, and it's just a free template that stacks on whatever class you had. Obviously this wouldn't fly outside of midnight with most DM's but it's worth considering.

Anthrowhale
2016-05-02, 09:52 PM
A template is not exactly a race with a few granting feats. 'Gheden' from Dragon Magazine grants 3 feats for the cost of +1LA.

Telonius
2016-05-02, 10:27 PM
Familiars give Alertness as long as they're "within arm's reach." (Yeah, it's a terrible feat, but I'm always surprised how many people forget about it).

Thurbane
2016-05-02, 10:44 PM
The Steelblooded Heroic Path from the Midnight Campaign Setting gives you 5 bonus fighter feats over the course of twenty levels, and it's just a free template that stacks on whatever class you had. Obviously this wouldn't fly outside of midnight with most DM's but it's worth considering.

Interesting - is this for 3.5 or PF?

Familiars give Alertness as long as they're "within arm's reach." (Yeah, it's a terrible feat, but I'm always surprised how many people forget about it).

It's also very handy considering the number of PrCs that have Alertness as one of their reqs.