PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Race: Amnesiac Avatar of the Great Old One

2016-03-29, 11:04 PM
Ability Score Increase. +2 INT, +1 CON
Age. An Avatar does not age. Avatars with their original memories can take any form they please, but a memoryless Avatar can take only one humanoid form.
Size. Medium.
Speed. 30 feet.
Blindsight (Tremorsight). 60 feet. Blind beyond this radius.
Slimy Body. You have advantage on rolls to resist and escape being Grappled.
Amorphous. You can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
Spider Climb. You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Splat. You have resistance to falling damage.
True Form. Your normal form is nothing but a guise you wear to conceal your true self from the eyes of commoners. If your HP drops to 0, your body will slowly melt into a slimy substance, gradually turning into your original hideous and otherworldly form. This takes 5 rounds, and when it ends, you will be a mass of tentacles and eyeballs and mouths, making commoners horrified. If your HP becomes 1 or higher, you gradually return to your at least humanoid form.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, as well as speak in Deep Speech.

EDIT: Thoughts?

EDIT: As is mentioned in-thread, this is Gastronomie's homebrew, I'm just wishing to get opinions on it; I've been less than trusting of my gut reactions lately, and didn't want to allow/reject it without getting some objective opinions.

zeek0
2016-03-29, 11:27 PM
Looks like fun to me!

I'd say that my only point of contention is the Amorphous trait. Being able to squeeze through small gaps only comes up as a 3rd level spell, gaseous form (which allows for some flying as well), but I feel as though having this ability at-will allows a character to bypass many an obstacle (crack under the door, crack in the wall, open window with bars).

Also, you could flavor this as not necessarily an avatar of the GOO, which is a bit heavy. It could be an aberration playable race.

Cheers.

Gastronomie
2016-03-30, 07:04 AM
You should have specified it was created by someone else (me) in the first post. Otherwise it's plagiarizing, and while I can understand you posted it here to get opinions on whether it was appropriate or not, it still is inpleasent for me.

Professor Gnoll
2016-03-30, 07:33 AM
It does seem to have maybe one two many good abilities. I do love the flavour of slowly turning into an amorphous puddle of tentacles.
But with Blindsight, Amorphous, Spider Climb, Falling Damage resistance AND grapple resistance, plus perfect Wizard stats... it feels like a bit much, even with the 60ft sight restriction. Maybe cut one of the abilities or weaken them- so only being able to squeeze through one foot wide spaces, or something along those lines.
Lovely feel to it though, this big ol' pile of tentacles just barely maintaining human form. You can imagine someone reaching out to shake their hand and recoiling in horror when they feel the slime.
(And yeah, AvatarVecna, if it's Gastronomie's homebrew you should really credit him in the OP.)

2016-03-30, 07:38 AM
You should have specified it was created by someone else (me) in the first post. Otherwise it's plagiarizing, and while I can understand you posted it here to get opinions on whether it was appropriate or not, it still is inpleasent for me.

Apologies, I was trying to avoid any potential bias in received opinions, but this was probably the worst way I could've gone about it.

Professor Gnoll
2016-03-30, 07:45 AM
Apologies, I was trying to avoid any potential bias in received opinions, but this was probably the worst way I could've gone about it.I'll strive to stay neutral, much as I love Gastronomie and his wonderfully edgy ways.

JNAProductions
2016-03-30, 10:38 AM
I'd make it, instead of Blindsight, Limited Sight-Your imperfect form only allows you to see within 60', and you are blind beyond this radius.

Bit of a nerf, but this is a killer wizard class.

Gastronomie
2016-03-30, 10:45 AM
Well, it's fine. I just felt it was better if mentioned, but it's not like it hurt anybody.

Hmm... how should I tweak it then?
The "good" abilities are:

-Tremorsight
-Slimy Body (Anti-grapple advantage)
-Amorphous
-Spider Climb
-Resistance to falling damage (to go together with Spider Climb)

Most of them are both "fluff" and "actual strong abilities". I want the Slimy Body and Spider Climb to at least stay - I have this image in my head of this character walking across walls and on cielings, and I can't imagine someone being able to grapple her easily (her body is slimy after all).

Well, I thought I should give "only a fall of up to 30 feet" or something to the "Splat" ability. And perhaps make it "1 foot" instead of "1 inch" for Amorphous - I copy-pasted from the original Oozes, but since this thing will be at least resembling human, 1 inch would not make sense on second thought.

I honestly think Tremorsight will be fine though - she can't see ANYTHING beyond 60 feet, which could be a disadvantage in a lot of situations.

Perhaps something like this? (Apart fro above edits, added 1 new fluff, and 1 negative ability:)

Ability Score Increase. +2 INT, +1 CON
Age. An Avatar does not age. Avatars with their original memories can take any form they please, but a memoryless Avatar can take only one humanoid form.
Size. Medium.
Speed. 30 feet.
Blindsight (Tremorsight). 60 feet. Blind beyond this radius.
Slippery. You have advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to escape a grapple.
Amorphous. You can move through a space as narrow as 1 foot wide without squeezing.
Spider Climb. You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Splat. You have resistance to falling damage, if the fall is 30 feet or less.
Fire Weakness. When you take fire damage, your Hit Point maximum decreases by an amount equal to the taken damage, until you take a Short Rest or you are healed by magic. Also, when you take fire damage, if you are climbing, you instantly fall to the ground.
True Form. Your normal form is nothing but a guise you wear to conceal your true self from the eyes of commoners. If your HP drops to 0, your body will slowly melt into a slimy substance, gradually turning into your original hideous and otherworldly form. This takes 5 rounds, and when it ends, you will be a mass of tentacles and eyeballs and mouths, making commoners horrified. If your HP becomes 1 or higher, you gradually return to your at least humanoid form.
Identity. You are treated as being an Aberration instead of a Humanoid.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, as well as speak in Deep Speech.

The character I am trying to build is an Avatar of Nyarlathotep. Thus I gave her a weakness (Fire) - vulnerability was probably too much, so decreasing her HP by the taken damage, and making her instantly fall to the ground if she's climbing up a wall. How does this look?

Professor Gnoll
2016-03-30, 04:35 PM
I like this more- it's less completely manoeuvrable. Amorphous is now a good ability rather than a full on dungeon-breaker.
Fire Weakness doesn't really do a whole lot though- how much healing in D&D isn't magical? I can think of maybe one source of non-magical healing off the top of my head, that being the Champion's 17th level ability. And I get the feeling this race isn't really designed to be a wizard anyway.
That said, it's now pretty much fine. Blindsight at the cost of long-range vision (which means no spell sniping/arrow sniping), and you can be knocked off walls by fire, though it probably won't kill you. And someone will get very freaked out if they see you being knocked out.
I like this race. It's tentacle-y.