PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next zeek0's Astromancer Base Class - Please offer suggestions!

zeek0
2016-03-29, 11:48 PM
Hello!

A few weeks ago I offered up a Twilight Warrior (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfCiPA2FPFATEQtSXV0OFRRaE0/view?usp=sharing) base class, whose concept was built around balance and mediation between extremes. I've been working on an Astromancer base class to pair with it, a class whose concept is built around a swing between extremes while still keeping balance. I would like some suggestions on how it is so far.

So without further ado, here is the Astromancer: link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfCiPA2FPFAZlJhRW8tQURrZ1E/view?usp=sharing)

And here are the incantations that pair with the class: link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfCiPA2FPFAazZNQ05rWkxxdzA/view?usp=sharing)

This class concept and some class parts were inspired by Mr. Moron's Astromancer base class.

Like the Warlock, the Astromancer regains spell slots after a short rest. Unlike a warlock the astromancer uses Incantations instead of spells. Incantations are a thematic grouping of spells as they grow more powerful, and are more modular when they are cast than the spells. They allow for altered effects at the moment of casting or the addition of effects as they are being concentrated upon.

Some questions:
1) Is anything unusually unbalanced or confusing?
2) I feel that there are too many 1/day abilities in the class. Is this true?
3) Is any feature especially unexciting?

Thanks!

Amendments:
Starting at 1st level you can form moonlight into an aura of magical protection against foes. As an action you can expend 1 lunar energy to grant a creature within 60 feet 5 temporary hit points. These hit points expire at the beginning of your next turn.

As a reaction before the start of your next turn, you may perform retribution. Target a creature that damaged the shield within 60 feet. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 5 radiant damage.

The temporary hit points gained and damage dealt by this ability are increased by 5 when you reach 5th level (10), 11th level (15), and 17th level (20).
At 14th level, you may focus your energies entirely on one extreme. When you expend celestial energy you may also expend all remaining celestial energy of that type, completely transforming your celestial energy pool.

If you expend your remaining pool of solar energy, creatures within 10 feet must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw equal to your incantation save DC or take radiant damage equal to the additional solar energy expended.

If you expend your remaining pool of lunar energy, you may grant any creatures within 10 feet temporary hit points equal to the additional lunar energy expended. These temporary hit points last for one round.

You can’t use this ability again until you complete a long rest.
At 10th level, your solar abilities become effulgent. If you expend solar energy on an ability that would do radiant damage then you may add your Intelligence modifier to the damage dealt.
If the ability targets and deals damage to a single creature then creatures within 5 feet must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw equal to your incantation save DC or take damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.
Now ends/does not end when spells are cast, as well as incantations.
Infusion
Solar Energy
Range: Self
Duration: Instantaneous

(1) You channel the positive energies of the sun to heal a creature. A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This incantation has no effect on undead or constructs.
(6) The creature is instead healed 70 hit points.
(+1) The range of this spell is changed to a creature within 120 feet.
(+1) In addition, up to six creatures within 30 feet of the affected creature are healed half the number of hit points that would be gained by the target, and gain any other additional effects of this incantation.
(+1-9) Choose an ailment: blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or a single disease. The target is cured of that condition. An additional ailment may be chosen for each additional solar energy expended.
(+1-9) The healing granted by this incantation increases by 1d8 for each additional solar energy expended.

Cleansing Glow
Solar Energy
Range: Self
Duration: Instantaneous

(2) You are bolstered and cleansed by solar energies, ending one condition affecting it. The condition can be charmed, frightened, or poisoned.
(+1) Choose yourself or an object or magical effect you are touching. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a successful check, the spell ends.
(+1) The target for this incantation becomes a point within range, and the area becomes a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on that point.
(+1-6) For each additional Solar Energy you expend, you automatically end the effects of spells one level higher or one additional affect.

An updated version of this homebrew lies in my signature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20886261&postcount=285). Let me know if you have any questions!

Spiriah
2016-03-30, 09:35 AM
I really like the class so far – It certainly feels similar to the other Astromancer class, but I feel that this incantation system is more streamlined. It reminds me of a combination of the Mystic and the Warlock, and it's a really interesting blend of the two.

Anyway, I do have some feedback:

Lunar Aura doesn't really seem worth using. 4 THP for one round is not worth using an action on – even if there is recoil damage to creatures who break it, you'd be better off just using Solar Shard or an incantation. I would probably increase the THP it grants, and possibly include a feature in the Path of Midnight to add your Int mod to the THP, possibly with a parallel feature for the sun path to add Int mod to Solar Shard damage.
The third-level path features are both pretty solid, and I don't think any changes are needed there.
It seems odd that Midnight gets a passive feature at 6, while Midday gets a short rest ability. In its current incarnation, I might make Flare last up to 1 minute, with targets being able to repeat the save at the end of their turn.
The level 10 path features seem very unbalanced in favor of Midnight. The ability to automatically stun (though minus the incapacitation) creatures that recover from any magical status you inflict seems really powerful, and allows for potential follow-up attacks or stunlocking due to the auto-failing saves. On the other hand, making creatures Dex save versus a single d6 of radiant damage feels kind of lackluster for a 10th level feature. It does synergize well with Solar Shard, but it feels subpar.
I don't think there are an excess of 1/day features. Greater Incantations function like Mystic Arcana from the Warlock, so that's fine. Total Eclipse (fittingly) feels very similar to Partial Eclipse, but I feel that the two overlap pretty heavily. I haven't playtested the class, obviously, but I feel that Partial Eclipse fills the "rider effect that changes your energy pool more" slot. Resurgence is a port of the Warlock capstone, so it's fine, though I always felt Warlock's capstone didn't really stand out. The Solstice abilities seem fine.
The Incantations seem well-done, and I like the ability to augment them by spending additional energy. There might be some minor edits to make (e.g. mention that Shadow Shape ends if you cast spells), but they seem pretty varied and useful. I might add some healing incantations, but that might just be because I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy XIV and this makes me think of the Astrologian from that game.

Overall, nice work! Needs a little streamlining of features, and maybe some more Incantations, but it's an interesting class that looks to be fairly well-balanced. I look forward to seeing how you develop it further.

zeek0
2016-04-03, 02:54 AM
Wow, you gave some wonderful, in depth feedback. I live in a village in East Africa and have little access to quality internet, so I cannot update the original documents on Google Drive. I will, instead, place amendments in the post and hope that people know how to read.

I agree with your assessment of Lunar Aura. As such, I have increased the size of the shield to 5 THP. Also, the damage dealt is now the size of the shield instead of the damage done to the shield, making the damage output consistent. 5 damage is slightly more average damage than a 1d8 attack, so I imagine that it is acceptable despite the retribution stipulation.

I have made the suggested changes to Flare. However, I think that the difference between a passive feature and short rest ability between the paths is indicative of the difference between them.

Effulgence was not terribly great, especially since there are not many incantations that deal damage to a single target. I've changed it so that Intelligence modifier is added to damage cast by any spell, and single-target spells cause a small AoE burst. This may be too much, especially for AoE incantations - let me know if it is and I'll consider changes.

I know that Stupor is powerful; let me know if I ought to tone it down - I am uncertain if it is overly powerful at the moment.

I have altered Total Eclipse so that it has rider effects associated with expending more celestial energy, making it much more interesting.

I agree that resurgence is uninteresting, but it is good for a short-rest caster to be able to gain back those spell slots. Unless I or others think of something more interesting, I'll leave it as it is.

Shadow Shape now ends if a spell is cast.

A healing incantation has been added

If you or anybody else has 1) suggestions for minor edits to incantations, or 2) ideas for additional incantations I'd be happy to work them up!

Thanks!

gavinator154
2017-11-13, 03:49 AM
Could I get some clarification on the way you cast spells? I read through but might be slightly confused.

The fact that your energy isn't spent, but instead shifts back and forth. That means you mechanically can cast infinite spells? If so, low spells prepared and maximum energy makes sense to balance this out. I just need some clarification if that is how it works.

My second question is about the incantation celestial onslaught. The idea is that since you use 4 of each energy, your net at the end is the same as before, but you have used all 8 of your maximum energy for the turn at 15th level. The problem is, if this is how it works a) I get meteor storm before 9th level and b) I can cast it every turn. Am I missing something cuz that seems busted in high level play.

Other than that, I look forward to playing this class soon.

Edit: I misread Greater Incantation. That balances it all out. I will probably be playing this soon, did you want info from the playtest?

zeek0
2017-11-13, 01:30 PM
Could I get some clarification on the way you cast spells? I read through but might be slightly confused.

The fact that your energy isn't spent, but instead shifts back and forth. That means you mechanically can cast infinite spells? If so, low spells prepared and maximum energy makes sense to balance this out. I just need some clarification if that is how it works.

My second question is about the incantation celestial onslaught. The idea is that since you use 4 of each energy, your net at the end is the same as before, but you have used all 8 of your maximum energy for the turn at 15th level. The problem is, if this is how it works a) I get meteor storm before 9th level and b) I can cast it every turn. Am I missing something cuz that seems busted in high level play.

Other than that, I look forward to playing this class soon.

Edit: I misread Greater Incantation. That balances it all out. I will probably be playing this soon, did you want info from the playtest?

Oh, gee. I haven't looked at this for some time. Lemme look back through.

Essentially, this class has warlock casting - a few spell slots, but they restore themselves on a short rest. That makes it so you won't be casting higher magics all the time, and you'll be using your cantrips often enough.

I've been toying with the idea of coming back to this, making edits, and making it up all PHB-style. I'd quite enjoy any feedback you can give, especially on the casting system (and how warlock-esque casting interacts with Celestial Energy)

JohnFJoestar
2018-05-30, 12:22 AM
This class seems like a lot of fun! A new, interesting way to cast spells that feels really refreshing, I'm trying it out on my next character! Can't wait to see how it goes!