PDA

View Full Version : what to do with a Dragons hoard

Degwerks
2016-03-30, 12:31 AM
Recently our group defeated an adult red dragon. Of course we had some help from a sixth member who is a young silver dragon, who will take his share of the coins/art. However we gained a few good and a few crappy magic items.

A Neutral Candle of Invocation that none of us can benefit from, to my knowledge anyway.

A 40ft speed 600lb limit Carpet of Flying.

A Mirror of Life Trapping.

A Ring of Regeneration

and an Amulet of the Planes.

4 out of 5 players want magic items, the 1 who doesn't wants an increase in gold etc.

The Barbarian is practically demanding the Ring of Regeneration should be his.

I'm thinking the 2 archers might squabble over the Flying Carpet.

I'd like the Amulet but the DC 15 intelligence check is too high for my warlock to use safely.

So I'm asking what kind of monetary value should be assigned to these 5 magic items?

Also am I correct that because none of our party is any type of neutral, that the Candle is useless to us?

Kane0
2016-03-30, 12:49 AM
'A few crappy magic items', thou dost maketh me chuckle.

All of those are priceless with a capital P. Pretty much all magic items are in stock 5e.
If you're playing that kind of game, i suggest consulting the excellent Sane Magical Prices pdf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices).

No magic item is useless, you simply have to find the right use for it. Even if that is only trading for another magic item you can make better use of.

Degwerks
2016-03-30, 07:24 AM
Anyone know if a non neutral party can use the Gate function from a Candle of Invocation?

Other than finding a Neutral cleric or Druid to become a paid henchman/follower, we just might have to sell/trade this off.

The Amulet is just too dangerous with our current Int scores... you should have heard the DM's laughter when he read the description to us when I Identified it. That'll have to go as well.

hymer
2016-03-30, 08:16 AM
[COLOR="#0000FF"]priceless with a capital P.

"[...] like the Ark. Men will kill for it. Men like you and me."

- René Belloq (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/RaidersOfTheLostArk)

Hanging on to items you can't presently use is an important tactic in many campaigns. There may come a time when a trade, bribe, tribute or present of that sort will be just the right thing. That sort of thing works better if the group has group loot.

Degwerks
2016-03-30, 09:57 AM
I'm worried someone in our group will try to use the Amulet and end up getting us killed, or try and Gate in something that'll get us killed.