PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder ideas on a new hybrid class - help wanted

DarthSpader
2016-03-30, 01:05 AM
So this is a hybrid class between the paladin and the synthesist. The idea or concept is a holy warrior that taps into the arcane side of his deitys power via his eidolon. Alone, he is but a man. But with his holy eidolon fused with him he becomes a powerful force of good.

The class combines both the synthesist and paladin together with the following changes:

Unless stated the hybrid class level is used for all paladin and synthesist levels to determine effects and so forth.

All paladin abilities, such as smite, detect evil, his auras, lay on hands and channel only function when the eidolon is present. However the only aura the class receives is the aura of good. All other auras are not gained, (replaced by the eidolon feature) additionally the lay on hands or channel energy features cannot be used to heal himself or his eidolon, although they can heal his allies as normal.

Divine bond: when this becomes Avilable it must be chosen as the "second" option, applyIng to the eidolon. No other bonuses or benefits apply, aside from the eidolon gaining the celestial template at level 11.

The synthesist abilities all work as normal, Including the rules for the eidolon. However the eidolon must be a biped, and it's max attacks are reduced by 1. He cannot take any Evoultions that are evil, such as undead appearance, and it's bad saves and good saves are reversed (so it gets 1 good save - will and 2 bad saves - ref and fort)
The eidolon counts as a summoned creature for all in game effects, (however it still gets the bonus or immunity as mentioned in the eidolon rules, when dealing with protection spells etc)

He does not have the summon monster SLA (is replaced by paladin abilities)

Spells: the class gets the standard arcane list of the summoner, but can't use any spells that are necromancy, use negative energy or are evil (in its description) if he casts a summon spell the creature summoned must not be an evil creature. The class uses charisma as its casting stat.

Weapons and armor: only simple weapons. No armor of any kind can be worn, as it interferes with the class bond with the eidolon (however items that grant armor bonus are fine, such as bracers, clothing enhanced with magical powers, or jewelry)

Hd: d8
Skills 2+int

Special: the class has the Paladins code of conduct restrictions, and additionally if the eidolon is ever sent back to its home plane in any fashion other then the character willingly dismissing it, (such as going to sleep or choosing to dismiss it) the character may not re summon it by any means, (including spells) he is shaken, and sickened for d6 rounds after his eidolon is sent back, and is fatigued untill he rests for 8 hours and re summons his eidolon.

Summoning the eidolon is a 1 minute prayer done at the same he prays for spells in the morning, he must have 8 hours uninterrupted rest to refresh any spells and summon his eidolon for the day. He can chose to delay the arrival of his eidolon if he chooses, at which point he needs to redo his 1 minute prayer.

------------------

I tried to balance the 2 classss together as well as I could, while restricting some of the more powerful abilities. I had thought about using the paladin spell list, but it's quite powerful, whereas the summoner list and progression is more in line with its style.

I'm also considering using the paladin base level for spells. (So it's caster level is essentially -3, gaining acsess to spells at 4th as if it was 1st) but I wonder if that's too much of a handicap?

I also have no idea on what to call the class.

I'd apreciate any help and feedback to make this class work.

Any thoughts?

DarthSpader
2016-03-30, 05:13 PM
No feedback? I'd hate to assume the class is perfect as is... Even if it seems overpowered busted Limburger - please let me know. I'd really appreciate feedback here and some help thinking of a name for the class

Lanth Sor
2016-03-31, 06:57 AM
Class Name: Archon as in LG Outsiders. If your not using LG but simply G then you could go with Celestial.
As for the write up this is something you have to do an actual write up proof of concept cant be balanced. So you need, lvl chart, list of abilities, and all the goodies.

So this is a hybrid class between the paladin and the synthesist. The idea or concept is a holy warrior that taps into the arcane side of his deity's power via his eidolon. Alone, he is but a man. But with his holy eidolon fused with him he becomes a powerful force of good.

The class combines both the synthesist and paladin together with the following changes:

Unless stated the hybrid class level is used for all paladin and synthesist levels to determine effects and so forth.

So as the idea is there but it seems like a commoner that can summon this really cool thing and becomes a useless tree if the thing gets killed. That is bad game design, but I'll talk more on that later.

All paladin abilities, such as smite, detect evil, his auras, lay on hands and channel only function when the eidolon is present. However the only aura the class receives is the aura of good. All other auras are not gained, (replaced by the eidolon feature) additionally the lay on hands or channel energy features cannot be used to heal himself or his eidolon, although they can heal his allies as normal.

So this is something that the full write up will help but as I understand you gain all the paladins class features, except Aura of Righteousness, Aura of faith, Aura of Justice, Aura of Resolve, and Aura of Courage. Additionally Lay on Hands not working on self is a bad move. Frankly this class should not have greater than level 4 casting because it has the eidolon and all those paladin abilities.

Divine bond: when this becomes Available it must be chosen as the "second" option, applying to the eidolon. No other bonuses or benefits apply, aside from the eidolon gaining the celestial template at level 11.

While I understand the coolness factor honestly the eidolon serves the function that this class feature presents. And if you really want the ability to summon a mount you can always make a eidolon evolution that does exactly that.

The synthesist abilities all work as normal, Including the rules for the eidolon. However the eidolon must be a biped, and it's max attacks are reduced by 1. He cannot take any Evoultions that are evil, such as undead appearance, and it's bad saves and good saves are reversed (so it gets 1 good save - will and 2 bad saves - ref and fort)
The eidolon counts as a summoned creature for all in game effects, (however it still gets the bonus or immunity as mentioned in the eidolon rules, when dealing with protection spells etc)

Honestly this makes sense it could use some writing help, but that's more of the "this needs a full write up" so I won't pick on that. One thing I would note is you should just define what evolutions are available. You should also make some of the paladin class feature evolutions you can pick.

Spells: the class gets the standard arcane list of the summoner, but can't use any spells that are necromancy, use negative energy or are evil (in its description) if he casts a summon spell the creature summoned must not be an evil creature. The class uses charisma as its casting stat.

Make it cast as the paladin just update the spell list to include some summoners spells that are tied to the eidolon. But make sure you write the entire spell list out because the Warpriest spell list is such a cop out.

Weapons and armor: only simple weapons. No armor of any kind can be worn, as it interferes with the class bond with the eidolon (however items that grant armor bonus are fine, such as bracers, clothing enhanced with magical powers, or jewelry)

I get it, its a bad idea. If you are going to make them have 0 class features when the eidolon dies give them a bone. This should say Light and Medium armors(heavy is nice but its fine for that to be something they gain from the eidolon) Shields, and simple weapons and deities favored weapon, if deity favored weapon is unarmed strike or natural weapon they gain Improved Unarmed Strike.

Hd: d8
Skills 2+int

HD and skills are fine but what about BAB and this is were you should be putting saves I am assuming based on what was stated earlier Will is there only good save. I would add fort. I advise a d10 with Good BAB.

Special: the class has the Paladins code of conduct restrictions, and additionally if the eidolon is ever sent back to its home plane in any fashion other then the character willingly dismissing it, (such as going to sleep or choosing to dismiss it) the character may not re summon it by any means, (including spells) he is shaken, and sickened for d6 rounds after his eidolon is sent back, and is fatigued untill he rests for 8 hours and re summons his eidolon.

This is bad. Not in the what a interesting concept bad, but the Grim dark future where everyone is Shoved off a cliff by a horde of angry zombies bad. In no situation ever should you permanently fatigue a player. And Shaken and fatigued My god do you want anyone to willingly play this. Exhausted and shaken would be ok for your 1d6 rounds, and then fatigued until the end of combat or the eidolon is resummoned. Say you have summon eidolon.

Summoning the eidolon is a 1 minute prayer done at the same he prays for spells in the morning, he must have 8 hours uninterrupted rest to refresh any spells and summon his eidolon for the day. He can chose to delay the arrival of his eidolon if he chooses, at which point he needs to redo his 1 minute prayer.

This is kinda needlessly restrictive for the eidolon. The eidolon and spell recovery should just stay the same as the base classes have them.

If you'd like I can do the full write up I was talking about. The big thing about this is your not making a Archetype so you have to do the whole post otherwise its not a class.

DarthSpader
2016-03-31, 11:19 PM
Some good points. Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned it would come across as too powerful, hense some of the harsher restrictions. The idea is to take the key features of both. - the lay on hands not working on self is because the existing rules for eidolon mention that it can't be healed through normal methods.

I suppose I could remove the "eidolon provides the paladin powers" thing, wich would make the character a bit more useful if it goes away. I also wanted to really provide a downside to losing the eidolon. Imposing stiff penalties if it's lost. - all in the name of keeping the class from just "wading in care free"

I will work up a full write up this weekend and update

If anyone else suggestions or thoughts please post them.