PDA

View Full Version : If the two no-name Azure Soldiers get killed, I'll cry.

basilisk 89
2007-06-21, 08:11 AM
You heard me, Rich. I'll start bawling like a toddler who dropped their ice cream on the sidewalk. In front of your friends, your parents and any girls you like. And I'll tell them it's because YOU killed off two of my favorite characters. :elan:

Really, I usually like the nameless (or named) NPCs that don't do much the best. The basic soldiers that manage to survive and get some of the spotlight. Which is why these two soldiers (I count them as one character for both) are my third favorite in the entire comic. Right in front of the Sapphire Paladin with the flaming sword, and right behind :redcloak: and the :mitd:.

So...who else likes these two?

Mystyco
2007-06-21, 08:20 AM
rotfl xD

well, that's a good point, the most funny couple of unmaed NPC who has ever been in the comic...make them secondary characters :P

also, if you must get 'em killed, make it EPIC! :)

Yeril
2007-06-21, 08:21 AM
Yes. . . . . . :smile:

Deme
2007-06-21, 08:26 AM
...I think that them as secondary characters would be neat. but no names. If they had names, I think it would ruin them.

Baalzebub
2007-06-21, 08:28 AM
I'll just quote a dialogue of the movie Predator.

You are assets. Expendable assets... and I used you to get the job done, got it?

Now replace "assets" with "NPCs" :smallsigh:

BRC
2007-06-21, 08:33 AM
The first one will be named
Vis
And the second one is named either a phoentic equivilent of Male or Female. Thus we can never know the second soliders name.

comicadv
2007-06-21, 08:47 AM
I like the NPCs and I agree names wouldn't work. But because of this thread Rich might kill them anyway. In which will join you in the Melodramtic Crying of Revenge!

Acco Spoot
2007-06-21, 08:54 AM
Dare I say it... The Redshirts make the best couple, they're just so damn cute together ^_^

I'll cry too if they die :(

Hephaestus
2007-06-21, 09:00 AM
Maybe they'll be like the Flumphs. Showing up to "Give their lives" to save Hinjo, although they never die, maybe just get hurt. And we must never know their names, this is essential.

shakes019
2007-06-21, 09:06 AM
Maybe they'll be like the Flumphs. Showing up to "Give their lives" to save Hinjo, although they never die, maybe just get hurt. And we must never know their names, this is essential.

That would be awesome. I hope that happens. I like those two.

The Hammer of Thor
2007-06-21, 10:56 AM
I just read the latest comic (damn England's time zone and the length of a school day) and I was gonna start this thread before I noticed it was already here.

Let this go down on the record: from now on, those two nameless soldiers are my favourite characters in the comic.

blademaster42
2007-06-21, 11:30 AM
Ugh, now Rich is going to kill them as a fan dis-service.

Too bad, I like them too.

StickMan
2007-06-21, 11:33 AM
But but they got to talk and they are going to live and have little baby NPC's.

DreadArchon
2007-06-21, 11:46 AM
I'll cry too if they die :(
Agreed. :smallfrown:

GolemsVoice
2007-06-21, 12:36 PM
I will cry, too. There have been far to many bloodshed and killing going on. Romance time! Joke time! Roy time!

kirbsys
2007-06-21, 12:37 PM
Hammer time!

Sorry... I had to.

Tredrick
2007-06-21, 01:47 PM
You heard me, Rich. I'll start bawling like a toddler who dropped their ice cream on the sidewalk. In front of your friends, your parents and any girls you like. And I'll tell them it's because YOU did not kill off two redshirt characters.

elliott20
2007-06-21, 01:53 PM
good job guys, you just doomed the two redshirts! now rich is going to off them just out of spite!

Ronsian
2007-06-21, 02:25 PM
If they got names, it would be bad. They are cool as a NPC, but they should die, soon.

Twisted Otaku
2007-06-21, 04:16 PM
You heard me, Rich. I'll start bawling like a toddler who dropped their ice cream on the sidewalk. In front of your friends, your parents and any girls you like. And I'll tell them it's because YOU killed off two of my favorite characters. :elan:

Really, I usually like the nameless (or named) NPCs that don't do much the best. The basic soldiers that manage to survive and get some of the spotlight. Which is why these two soldiers (I count them as one character for both) are my third favorite in the entire comic. Right in front of the Sapphire Paladin with the flaming sword, and right behind :redcloak: and the :mitd:.

So...who else likes these two?

Here's to hoping you cry : p
Not that I don't like the couple either, but I think it's silly and naive to get attached to characters without names *shrug* to easily torn away from you

the mysterian
2007-06-21, 04:28 PM
the girl will be shot with an arrow and the dude will cry over her only to be killed by >insert bad guy here<

Twitchel
2007-06-21, 04:37 PM
The two NPC's are almost as good as Wedge. But no one will ever be quite as awesome as him.

Green Bean
2007-06-21, 04:40 PM
The two NPC's are almost as good as Wedge. But no one will ever be quite as awesome as him.

Yes! They will be like Wedge, pop culture's reverse redshirt!

basilisk 89
2007-06-22, 03:26 PM

They're as good as Wedge. Wait, wait, wait...there was that time Wedge... Okay. Based on the coolness scale on one of the threads in the Play-By-Post Gaming forum, I rate the following...

Jack Sparrow: 1,738,025
NPC Redshirts: 1,970,641
Wedge Antilles: 2,000,000
Master Chief 117: 2,300,301

blackout
2007-06-22, 10:25 PM
A Wedge-type character rules. Their the guys that live through every major battle they appear in, but get next to no backstory. Their the kinda people that fans make the backstories for, y'know?

kirbsys
2007-06-22, 11:27 PM
We talkin Star Wars Wedge, or FF7 Wedge?

basilisk 89
2007-06-22, 11:28 PM
We talkin Star Wars Wedge, or FF7 Wedge?

Star Wars Wedge.

...I hope.

Drakron
2007-06-22, 11:38 PM
Final Fantasy games used Biggs and Wedge as a reference to Star Wars, its started with FF VI.

basilisk 89
2007-06-23, 07:49 AM
Well, at least Final Fantasy is good for something.

Sorry, but I despise that series. The only game I enjoy is Tactics.

Nightwing
2007-06-23, 08:08 AM
I Will cry to.

Tawkis
2007-06-23, 08:41 AM
Well, at least Final Fantasy is good for something.

Sorry, but I despise that series. The only game I enjoy is Tactics.

Yeah FFT is pretty fantastic... poor Ramza.

However, Rich won't kill both of them. He'll just kill one of them.

Doglord
2007-06-23, 09:28 AM
I think itd be cool if one died and the other went nuts and killed whatever killed the dead one, and eventually survives.

Atheist_Cleric
2007-06-23, 09:31 AM
I think they'll either survive and rally the people on the ships agaisnt the nobles in favor of Hinjo, or they'll die protecting Hinjo from Kubota's last ditch attempt to off Hinjo before he can get the people on his side.

Mad Scientist
2007-06-23, 11:29 AM
Maybe if we name them Rich won't let them die!
Let's see. . .
How about Hans Solo and Princess Leia?
Ha! Now they're safe! :smallbiggrin:

Snipers_Promise
2007-06-23, 12:30 PM
I cry two. I will sob. And play bagpipes. :smallfrown:

yoshi927
2007-06-23, 01:04 PM
I also like them, but, I mean, we call them "Redshirts". They're probably going to die eventually.

Green Bean
2007-06-23, 01:31 PM
I also like them, but, I mean, we call them "Redshirts". They're probably going to die eventually.

Everyone dies eventually. We're just hoping that it'll be in about a hundred years. :smallbiggrin:

Breaon
2007-06-23, 01:39 PM
I think they should join up with the OotS as henchmen, or even cohorts, after this adventure. Still don't need names, but would be a great gig.

Idless
2007-06-23, 02:23 PM
hmmm

Gotta love Wedge as a character :D

and

And play bagpipes

Ye flipping - that can scare anyone, even Rich, outta anything!!

the humanity...

Idless

basilisk 89
2007-06-24, 08:08 AM
I like the bagpipes...

I'm da Rogue!
2007-06-24, 08:17 AM
I will cry too. But they're not gonna die. They have the guts and flame of a PC, but they just don't have names. Ppl like them don't just die :)

Emperor Ing
2007-06-24, 08:22 AM
As nameless NPCs, theyre simply cannon foddder!!

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-24, 09:55 AM
I think they should join up with the OotS as henchmen, or even cohorts, after this adventure. Still don't need names, but would be a great gig.

Nodwick and Nodwicina? Does Durkon even stock duct tape?

Of course, Nodwick has the common courtesy to wear a redshirt. These two are in grey armor. If they grab red shirts from their homes as they go to the pier, I would say they are doomed.

Nah. Henchmen have been done in webcomics. If you are in the OotS, you are a full member, not a lackey.

Basalock
2007-06-24, 10:40 PM
Remmember what :belkar: wanted to do last time they got followers?

Demented
2007-06-25, 12:46 AM
Remember how many times Belkar has gotten to accomplish any of his great ideas, as stated to the OOTS?

Arnen
2007-06-25, 01:56 AM
Oh no, I'd have to cry, too! (On the inside, at least.) :smallfrown:

Gez
2007-06-25, 02:42 AM
*Brings a dozen boxes of handkerchiefs to the thread*

There, you're all set.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-06-25, 02:43 AM
They're as good as Wedge. Wait, wait, wait...there was that time Wedge... Okay. Based on the coolness scale on one of the threads in the Play-By-Post Gaming forum, I rate the following...

Jack Sparrow: 1,738,025
NPC Redshirts: 1,970,641
Wedge Antilles: 2,000,000
Master Chief 117: 2,300,301

Methinks you give Jack Sparrow way too much credit. (And Master Chief, too, for that matter)

Anyway:

Heres hoping Shulbo No-Namezaki and his new girlfriend don't die! For I, will, too, rejoi - cry. I too, will cry. There we go, good boy Grammer.

basilisk 89
2007-06-25, 08:29 AM
Methinks you give Jack Sparrow way too much credit. (And Master Chief, too, for that matter)

Anyway:

Heres hoping Shulbo No-Namezaki and his new girlfriend don't die! For I, will, too, rejoi - cry. I too, will cry. There we go, good boy Grammer.

That's my personal opinion. I am a Halo maniac. And Pirates are some of my favorite movies.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-25, 09:43 AM
That's my personal opinion. I am a Halo maniac. And Pirates are some of my favorite movies.

Halo is over-rated and surpassed by both the Timesplitters series and the 3D Metroids (though the later's gameplay is a bit harder to compare TBF).

There I said it :smallsmile:

basilisk 89
2007-06-25, 02:27 PM
The Haloverse itself, not necessarily just the games. I hate Metroid Prime and only like Time Splitters 1.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-25, 02:59 PM
The Haloverse itself, not necessarily just the games. I hate Metroid Prime and only like Time Splitters 1.

Then you're dead inside. Either that or you've never played TS2 and have an acute fear of thinking while playing a game.

Anyway, back on topic: If the soldiers die I won't just cry, I'll go emo, dye my hair and do a jazz number down the street.

Pyrian
2007-06-25, 04:41 PM
Anyway, back on topic: If the soldiers die I won't just cry, I'll go emo, dye my hair and do a jazz number down the street.Vid plz thx. :smallcool:

Tharr
2007-06-25, 10:57 PM
Maybe if the comic gets delayed to next week everyone will cry. Maybe the base world Erfworld might buy OOTS cast members.

Mr Teufel
2007-06-25, 11:26 PM
I'll probably shed a tear too. But since when has Rich been afraid to make us cry - "Buddy Roy", anyone?

basilisk 89
2007-06-25, 11:42 PM
I'll probably shed a tear too. But since when has Rich been afraid to make us cry - "Buddy Roy", anyone?

Naw, I hated Roy.

mockingbyrd7
2007-06-26, 02:30 AM
If the two soldiers DON'T get killed, there's no reason they'd split up with Hinjo and the OotS. I mean, they are going along with them to the junk, and if they don't die, they'll be aboard the junk. And if the junk leaves, they will still be there. A lot of great "redshirt" or "nameless NPC" or "NPC lovers" jokes could be sparked by them, and they seem to be very well-liked. I hope they stay.

16oz
2007-06-26, 05:42 AM
I, too, wish for them to live. But then, I always seem to have this fascination with the secondary characters. I think it's because you can tell how well a story/world is made by them, over the main characters. Anyone can come up with a dozen or so people to base a good story around. To make things truly GREAT, there must be hundreds of people who can be seen as seperate individuals, worthy of remembering. Especially after seeing a lot of people like that die in the epic battle beforehand (I liked the Saphhire Guard member w/ the winged boots), I, and a lot of others by the length of this thread, would like to see some 'everyday' folks come through it all. Even if we never know their names.

So, yes, I'll be Strange Obsessive Guy #29 in the line who will be crying over the loss of these two NPCs. So, Rich, PLEASE let them live!!!!!

cheesecake
2007-06-26, 05:51 AM
If we kill off all the npcs how will they make baby NPCs?

Revlid
2007-06-26, 07:30 AM
Let them live, Rich, let them live! Give someone happiness!

basilisk 89
2007-06-27, 07:55 AM
What he said!

Squark
2007-06-27, 08:18 AM
A Wedge-type character rules. Their the guys that live through every major battle they appear in, but get next to no backstory. Their the kinda people that fans make the backstories for, y'know?

Actually, George Lucas gave a fair amount of extras who didn't ever get named in the movies names, and short backstories. And every canon star wars source goes through him.

Edit: Need proof? Go search around for some printables of the star wars CUSTOMIZABLE Card Game. It had little 3 line lores about each card. Mind you, stuff like the thermal detonator (Blows stuff up), and a few others where mainly intended as humor.

basilisk 89
2007-06-29, 07:51 PM
Ayup. That.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-29, 07:55 PM
I said a couple weeks back that I would cry if they died. I stand by it.

Gez
2007-06-29, 08:15 PM
*Brings another box of Kleenex to the thread.*

You know, if Rich wasn't so strict on re-use of his art, I'd make a montage with the death scenes of Bandit Leader and Bandit Daughter, Cliffport Chief, Yokyok, Lord Shojo, Old General, and so on. That's not even counting the death scenes that are in the print-only books; or NPCs like Miko that are both popular and unpopular, and of course I discard Roy because the rest of the PCs are intending to raise him ASAP and he's not an NPC.

Mr Teufel
2007-07-04, 04:37 AM
:smallbiggrin: I'm glad to be proven wrong. Long live Kazumi and Daigo!:smallcool:

Glorfindel
2007-07-04, 05:18 AM
@OP:
Which nameless soldiers are actually you referring to?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-07-04, 06:27 AM
If we kill off all the npcs how will they make baby NPCs?

Don't forget, NPCs make baby PCs, too.

DreadArchon
2007-07-04, 09:16 AM
Don't forget, NPCs make baby PCs, too.
Great PC's are never born. They just fade in.

Otherwise the DM gets to screw them using their backstories.

Gez
2007-07-04, 09:20 AM
:smallbiggrin: I'm glad to be proven wrong. Long live Kazumi and Daigo!:smallcool:

You haven't been proven wrong, you just haven't been proven right yet. :sabine:

(I guess Sabine is this board's closest approximation to the "devil" smiley.)

nifler
2007-07-04, 01:23 PM
But but they got to talk and they are going to live and have little baby NPC's.

Okay, now that's just wierd.

Ithekro
2007-07-04, 01:43 PM
So they are going out for a cup of smite evil then?

Zhrec
2007-07-04, 02:17 PM
Well they gotten names, but they will die never the less. IMXO (:frown: )

nifler
2007-07-04, 02:23 PM
Well they gotten names, but they will die never the less. IMXO (:frown: )

PESSIMIST!!!

Em Blackleaf
2007-07-04, 07:00 PM
I thought those characters would die right away (because, everything Elan says is automatically true), but when they didn't, I figured they'd do something important later.

If and when they die (possibly doing something important), it should be something awesome!

More to the point, I do like those characters, they should stay alive, at least for now.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-04, 07:02 PM
I'd like to see them replace Roy and V.

the mysterian
2007-07-04, 07:12 PM

*SMACK* NO! THE GENDER CONFUSION MUST NOT END!!!!

Lord_Butters_I
2007-07-04, 07:15 PM

Wow, you fail (http://www.youfail.org).

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-04, 07:34 PM

I'd rather see Hinjo replace Roy and them just get added on.

I like them, and hope we see a lot more of them. We probably will - they have names and everything!

Zhrec
2007-07-04, 08:24 PM
PESSIMIST!!!

Yes I am %)

P.S. Pleas explaine to silly person as I am, by what stupidity, rightful ruller of the city would live his nation in the midle of retreat to safty, abondane the taken by enemy hometown, and run crazy to kill Lich, which is much stronger then he is and would be soon far far away, with bunch of adventuress. O_o ...

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-04, 08:56 PM
P.S. Pleas explaine to silly person as I am, by what stupidity, rightful ruller of the city would live his nation in the midle of retreat to safty, abondane the taken by enemy hometown, and run crazy to kill Lich, which is much stronger then he is and would be soon far far away, with bunch of adventuress. O_o ...

This: The city is overrun by hobgoblins! There's nothing Hinjo can do now without leaving the city for a while, if just to gather reinforcements. It's possible that the Order will join him to help take back Azure City. They're already on their way to leave, so he will at least have to come back later.
The Order would probably go and do their own thing after that.

Zhrec
2007-07-04, 10:53 PM
This: The city is overrun by hobgoblins! There's nothing Hinjo can do now without leaving the city for a while, if just to gather reinforcements. It's possible that the Order will join him to help take back Azure City. They're already on their way to leave, so he will at least have to come back later.
The Order would probably go and do their own thing after that.

But it is short time, and can be barely considered as a replacement of Roy, how is a leader. After they done with city, Hinjo must be pretty idiotic to go with Oots, he should be with the people and rule and protect them. Of course here argument, is that X can overtake another gates then the apocalypses will come. But steel, go there, as member Oots seems stupid for Hinjo, going there, as leader of army of the survivors of AC is totally another story.

Gez
2007-07-05, 02:37 AM
Yes I am %)

Here is your explanation. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html)