PDA

View Full Version : Player Help need help finding a class or prestige class to become a king to nerf myself.

Recurver
2016-03-30, 07:24 AM
I have become to powerful of a character in the campaign i'm currently in. my character is capable of putting out close to a thousand points of damage a round with touch attacks alone. this has become a problem! my gm is constantly having to send bigger and tougher things at our group or they die instantly to me and me alone. the other characters have fallen behind my optimized character and have either died or come close several times. I need to find a prestige class or regular class that is basically worthless. my character is however a prince and i would like to find a "worthless" class that would make him a good king/ruler (via skill points and skills) . He's already strong enough, i just want him to stop getting stronger and get a good fluff king class.The fluff is very important.

for the love of all things d&d i never thought i'd be asking for help on NERFING myself.:smallbiggrin:

OldTrees1
2016-03-30, 07:29 AM
Please provide details about the character and the other PCs:

There isn't really a royalty class. But most of the overpowering options can be scaled back as a self nerf.

Quertus
2016-03-30, 08:10 AM
Isn't there an aristocrat NPC class? I feel like I took levels in it once. Doesn't really help you be a king, but most kings have it.

Best king ever is thrall herd. His subjects will tell you so! Bonus points: lost subjects are replaced within 24 hours. Under siege? Send the thralls - heck, eat the thralls! They'll be replaced tomorrow.

Recurver
2016-03-30, 08:37 AM
Please provide details about the character and the other PCs:

There isn't really a royalty class. But most of the overpowering options can be scaled back as a self nerf.
Character is a level 14 "shadow rogue" (custom class) has a touch attack that deals sonic or cold damage, has all the two weapon fighting feats, can dimension slide as a move action, has a good sneak attack damage, 40 dex. and 30 int. , is half demon so can fly at will by changing into demon form. the pcs with him are an artificer who is going hordeficer with effigies. and a rather unoptimized dual weilding crit fighter. both are level 14 as well. any other questions? oh yeah. my character has the leadership feat and is a captain of a ship as well.

Tiri
2016-03-30, 09:24 AM
There are, as others have already said, no 'King' classes, but since you already have Leadership, you could do the usual Leadership tricks like having your cohort take Leadership to get a cohort who takes Leadership and so on, with any high-enough-level followers also taking Leadership. You could use Thrallherd's ability which is basically Leadership+ for about the same thing, although you'll have to give up the actual feat you already have for that. That gets you about enough people for a small kingdom. Of course, you should get your Leadership score as high as possible for this.

Take Warmaster for some bonuses if you want and to get a castle. Your cohorts can also do that so you have many castles of varying size throughout your kingdom. There's also the Landlord feat if you want more castles. Make your cohorts and higher-level followers nobles to have someone to put in the castles.

At the end of it your kingdom shouldn't look too bad. You do need to make sure your followers can farm and trade and things like that which sustain kingdoms, of course, but that shouldn't be hard with the number you have. Presumably many non-followers will eventually be born or join your kingdom over time, too, if you prove to be a good ruler.

Also, I have to say, poor fighter.

TheIronGolem
2016-03-30, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure I understand why you need to achieve this through class levels. If the goal is to have the character retire to a life of rulership and effectively become an NPC, then surely you can do that whenever you're ready?

Geddy2112
2016-03-30, 09:34 AM
Your character is not all that powerful for a 14th level character. One bad will save, or something immune to cold/sonic and sneak attack and you are done. At high levels like this, damage is not even close to the worst thing that can happen.

If you don't mind pathfinder, the noble scion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/noble-scion) prestige class is about as close as you can get to being a king. It also synergies with leadership really well.

Also, it sounds like your DM has poor system mastery. Your build can easily be stopped, but your DM allowed a custom class, leadership, and is throwing encounters at the party where you always excel.

Telonius
2016-03-30, 09:37 AM
Character is a level 14 "shadow rogue" (custom class) has a touch attack that deals sonic or cold damage, has all the two weapon fighting feats, can dimension slide as a move action, has a good sneak attack damage, 40 dex. and 30 int. , is half demon so can fly at will by changing into demon form. the pcs with him are an artificer who is going hordeficer with effigies. and a rather unoptimized dual weilding crit fighter. both are level 14 as well. any other questions? oh yeah. my character has the leadership feat and is a captain of a ship as well.

Captain of a ship, leadership, knows an Artificer with bunches of clanks? This reminds me of somebody (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040806#.Vvvj7uIrKHs)... :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, you do qualify for the "Legendary Captain" prestige class from Stormwrack. Whether you have access to an airship or not, you can make your flagship into your base of operations. Rule the waves!

OldTrees1
2016-03-30, 10:21 AM

Any reason not to merely reduce the custom class's touch attack's damage? That seems like the simplest way to nerf yourself if you are concerned about your DPS. Also, is your DM granting you easy access to full attacks (I don't see a mechanic for move and full attack listed above)?

Recurver
2016-03-30, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure I understand why you need to achieve this through class levels. If the goal is to have the character retire to a life of rulership and effectively become an NPC, then surely you can do that whenever you're ready?
while this is the actual goal, i want to make it an in game thing. the preparations to retire should be fun and interesting. also preferably by the books. the character is from a kingdom in strife and currently ruled by his (incredibly evil) sister. it has been hinted that his entire kingdom of people may become displaced by some horrifying disaster soon (most likely following my characters killing of his evil sister) in preparations for this he has acquired an island and (using a lyer of building) built a castle and massive city for them. he's also currently working on a method for transporting them there. probably alot of ships. and it's probably a few hundred thousand people.

Recurver
2016-03-30, 10:30 AM
Any reason not to merely reduce the custom class's touch attack's damage? That seems like the simplest way to nerf yourself if you are concerned about your DPS. Also, is your DM granting you easy access to full attacks (I don't see a mechanic for move and full attack listed above)?
no. that's the one saving grace. i even avoided getting a belt of lions charge or belt of battle to avoid that buff.

Recurver
2016-03-30, 10:42 AM
embarrassed i forgot the most important part of this character. he released an ancient elder god of magic at level 12 and was granted one free spell cast on him as a reward. he chose the epic spell immortality. he can no longer die. ever. T.T can't even be trapped permanently either. it's in the spell description. and i'm loving the idea of ruling the waves. need to look at that prestige class in stormwrack.

ATHATH
2016-03-30, 10:46 AM
embarrassed i forgot the most important part of this character. he released an ancient elder god of magic at level 12 and was granted one free spell cast on him as a reward. he chose the epic spell immortality. he can no longer die. ever. T.T can't even be trapped permanently either. it's in the spell description. and i'm loving the idea of ruling the waves. need to look at that prestige class in stormwrack.
You wouldn't happen to have the Curst template, would you?

OldTrees1
2016-03-30, 10:47 AM
while this is the actual goal, i want to make it an in game thing. the preparations to retire should be fun and interesting. also preferably by the books.

Oh. I through you wanted a nerf and keep playing rather than setting up to retire the character. Yes, picking up a sea captain prestige class is a good way to retire this character.

Recurver
2016-03-30, 10:49 AM
You wouldn't happen to have the Curst template, would you?

Have not heard of that template before. so no. but i will look it up now.

Eloel
2016-03-30, 01:29 PM
Since you're already playing an overpowered homebrew, get another underpowered homebrew class to counteract.

Gildedragon
2016-03-30, 01:34 PM
Go Thunder Guide, your PC gets to serialize their story into tales of daring do
Expert with focus on Craft (Memoir) and Kn Nobility and Profession (Ruler)

Or you know, keep your attacks in check. Don't use your tricks. Retrain some levels into less OP stuff

Gildedragon
2016-03-30, 01:41 PM
Just saw the character description:

With the Half Fiend template you ought be 4 class levels behind the rest of the party. Also if you've found that the class is ridiculous: retrain. Swordsage (focusing on shadow hand) ought be your base, get the TWF feats by your own, and mix something else to taste (plain rogue at level 1?)

Troacctid
2016-03-30, 03:10 PM
I would suggest the Legendary Captain prestige class. One of my friends took it in a seafaring campaign we played once, and discovered (to his chagrin) that it is a great way to nerf your fighting abilities and become a figurehead instead.

Coidzor
2016-03-30, 09:01 PM
PF has the Noble Scion, IIRC.

There's a Forgotten Realms book that's centered around this, there's a few which have niche uses, like Merchant Prince, but for the most part they're concerned with mechanics unlikely to be used in most games.

Ywvbevlin
2016-03-30, 09:11 PM
Just saw the character description:

With the Half Fiend template you ought be 4 class levels behind the rest of the party. Also if you've found that the class is ridiculous: retrain. Swordsage (focusing on shadow hand) ought be your base, get the TWF feats by your own, and mix something else to taste (plain rogue at level 1?)

The fact that one of its features is 'demon form' seems to indicate that it isn't the same as the normal Half-Fiend.

mauk2
2016-03-30, 09:16 PM
Since you're already playing an overpowered homebrew, get another underpowered homebrew class to counteract.

Ouch. :)

To the OP:

Although 'this way lies madness', I cannot help but ask, how exactly are you dishing out 1000+ points of damage at 14th level?

MisterKaws
2016-03-30, 09:35 PM
Although 'this way lies madness', I cannot help but ask, how exactly are you dishing out 1000+ points of damage at 14th level?[/QUOTE]

TWF. Shadow Claw deals 14d6, can be used as an off-hand with no problem, is a touch attack, and can be used in sneak attacking. He's likely flanking while TWF-ing.

Just retrain this character in a Swordsage, and remember the lesson: you don't play Dandwiki classes.

mauk2
2016-03-30, 09:42 PM
TWF. Shadow Claw deals 14d6, can be used as an off-hand with no problem, is a touch attack, and can be used in sneak attacking. He's likely flanking while TWF-ing.

TWF?

I regret asking this already. :)

Coidzor
2016-03-30, 10:00 PM
TWF?

I regret asking this already. :)

Two-Weapon Fighting. One of the three main fighting styles alongside sword-and-board(one-handed weapon and a shield) and THFing(two-handed fighting, using a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon in two hands).

Beyond that, there's einhanders who just use a one-handed weapon in one hand with the other free(generally not well supported if at all), natural weapons builds(such as wild-shaping druids and totemists and several monstrous races), and MWFing(Multiweapon Fighting, for when you have more than two arms).

Buufreak
2016-03-30, 10:10 PM
Two-Weapon Fighting. One of the three main fighting styles alongside sword-and-board(one-handed weapon and a shield) and THFing(two-handed fighting, using a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon in two hands).

Beyond that, there's einhanders who just use a one-handed weapon in one hand with the other free(generally not well supported if at all), natural weapons builds(such as wild-shaping druids and totemists and several monstrous races), and MWFing(Multiweapon Fighting, for when you have more than two arms).

I believe he was mocking the stylistic choice.

Recurver
2016-03-31, 05:24 AM
Although 'this way lies madness', I cannot help but ask, how exactly are you dishing out 1000+ points of damage at 14th level?

Just retrain this character in a Swordsage, and remember the lesson: you don't play Dandwiki classes.[/QUOTE]
lesson learned. i (embarrassingly) overlooked the homebrew part when i first saw it, and so did my gm. we've nerfed it a little since then but mostly just the lightblade portion. The reason for not being able to homebrew a nerfing ruler class is because after the shadowrogue my gm has (rightfully so) banned all homebrew classes. She does however greatly respect the opinion of this forum, so if you all have any recomendations on a making a custom ruler class i believe she would accept.

Recurver
2016-03-31, 05:42 AM
The fact that one of its features is 'demon form' seems to indicate that it isn't the same as the normal Half-Fiend.

you are correct sir. it is a 1 level adjustment template made by our gm. the half demon. alternate form appears hideous but grows wings for flying and increases base land speed. the downside is that the form causes a d6 damage of lethal and a d6 of non lethal every round, and in all forms causes all detect alignment spells to show me as evil in spite of the fact that my character is actually very good. not a fan of paladins... they refuse to believe that their detect could be wrong. lol