PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Dwarfen Fighter Tank for DM

Hanutta
2016-03-30, 11:26 AM
Hey Guys,

i'm leading a small group of 2 players (cleric and sorcerer) and additionally i'm playing a dwarfen tank.
The reason is, that they can play other classes and the battles are not that hard. And i like to play too ;)
The advantage over other classes is, that a fighter can "only" fight he is not a moral compass (like cleric and paladin), neither a skillmonkey (like bard and rogue) and he is not a "i can handle the fight without you" character a.s.o.
So i created him like a tank. Now we reached lvl 9 and we want to play at lvl 11 (my players can't find their notations about all of their last treasuries and "upgrades" to lvl 10).

This is him:

Dwarfen Fighter 9
STR 16
CON 21
DEX 12
INT 13
CHA 9
WIS 11
(Attributes with gear)

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Critival/Sunder/Bull Rush, (Greater)Weapon Focus/Specialization (Dwarfen Waraxe)

We are playing core only, because my players don't want to learn new rules.

I don't know what to do next. There are a lot of bonus feats he will get as a fighter and i don't know how i can fill them efficiently.
What do you think about the prestige class "dwarfen defender"?
For once i play with the idea to take another class from other sources, like the knight protector, but the conditions should be that my dwarf will stay in his role as a tank (+ passive Character) and no additionaly rules like maneuver-feats.
Another idea is to play him like a grappler, but is it worth?

I hope you can help me with my problem ;)

Gruftzwerg
2016-03-30, 02:24 PM
1. Grappling is no good for player characters (unless you can transform into something really big with insane Str). Cause unless you are in a "humanoid only enemies" campaign, most monster will be better just due to size and Str bonuses. "Normal" Pc can't compete with them unless you go for a full munchkin build for it.

2. Take "Combat Expertise" (Core) and "Allied Defense" (Shining South). Allied Defense lets you share your AC bonus from Combat Expertise with allies in 5ft range.
Now you can be really a supportive tank and give the enemies a reason to attack you first. Cause you help blocking attacks for your allies^^

3.You could go the Dodge > Mobility > Spring Attack (and maybe Whirlwind Attack) chain, to become more mobile if the situation demands it.

4. Dwarven Defender is the complete opposite of Point 3. He is a totally immobile full tank. Bad in outdoor campains. Shines in narrow dungeons/rooms. Unless the plot fits his playstyle, I wouldn't take it.

Troacctid
2016-03-30, 02:46 PM
Take an Incarnate dip and go into Ironsoul Forgemaster. You get fantastic tank abilities (way better than Dwarven Defender) and you can craft magic weapons and armor for the whole party.

Or go into any cool flavorful prestige class that gives the character a fun hook, like Cold Iron Warrior, Shadowsmith, Stonelord, Animal Lord, or Dragon Disciple. It's good for a character to be more memorable than "Generic Dwarf Fighter #7: Now 20% Dwarfier!"

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-30, 02:51 PM
Consider adding on a template - Corrupted does an excellent job, as it gives you some handy stat boosts, DR, scaling Fast Healing, and some other cool stuff. It doesn't have an LA (meaning it's not intended for use by players), but in this specific situation I think it would be fine.

Sahleb
2016-03-30, 11:36 PM
Within the boundaries of core, take a level of ranger, pick up endurance, and go horizon walker for the last ten levels, or however much game you have left.

Hanutta
2016-03-31, 06:14 AM
Hey, thanks for the advice :)

i like the flair with the stonelord but the other classes have to much magic and this stuff. And this will not match with the background of character of the dwarf.
And then came shalebs advice...
The horizon walker is nice, too.

Thank you all :) I will take my choice between the stonelord and horizon walker.