PDA

View Full Version : Spiked Chain Clarification

magicalmagicman
2016-03-30, 12:40 PM
1. You can make trip attacks without provoking attacks of oportunity.
2. You can make trip attacks at 10ft
3. You get a +2 to disarm attempts
4. You get an additional +4 to disarm attempts because its two-handed
5. You can disarm at 10ft
6. You can disarm an opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity because you can disarm at 10ft
7. 1v1 low levels, you can trip a guy practically forever and kill him using attacks of opportunity while he wastes all his turns trying to undo your trip, basically preventing him from attacking and giving you +4 to your attack.

Zaq
2016-03-30, 12:46 PM
6. You can disarm an opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity because you can disarm at 10ft
7. 1v1 low levels, you can trip a guy practically forever and kill him using attacks of opportunity while he wastes all his turns trying to undo your trip, basically preventing him from attacking and giving you +4 to your attack.

1) Nope. Unless you have Improved Trip, you still provoke. If your target doesn't threaten you because you're too far away, you can avoid the AoO, but the AoO still got provoked.

2) You can make trip attacks at whatever your reach is. A Medium character with a spiked chain and no other reach-related effects has a reach of 10 ft.

3) Yup.

4) Yup.

5) See 2.

6) See 1.

7) Not quite. An AoO resolves before its trigger, and you can't trip someone who's already prone. So if you trip someone and they try to stand up, you can AoO them (and you get a +4 to hit them because they're prone), but you can't trip them again and keep them prone by means of the AoO they provoke while standing up. You're still going to be at an advantage, but it's not a permanent lockdown effect.

Deophaun
2016-03-30, 12:49 PM
Well, it's level 1. "Practically forever" means around two turns, which all things being equal means you have a 25% chance of being right.

Tripping is a good trick, but solo, unless you're doing more than taking Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain), it's not that strong.

Necroticplague
2016-03-30, 12:53 PM

yes,yes, yes, yes, yes, assuming your enemy has less than 10 foot reach, not really. You can't trip him while he's stand up, so he could stand up, take the hit to the face, 5-foot step to you, then hit you. Or, you know, just has a reach weapon of his own to cut out the 5-foot step. Or attack from prone, possibly with the prone fighter feat.

Eloel
2016-03-30, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure you can stand up and 5-ft step in the same turn. Standing up might break "cannot make any other kind of movement"

Troacctid
2016-03-30, 01:00 PM
Also, if you fail the opposed Strength check to trip them, they get a free trip or disarm against you.

Necroticplague
2016-03-30, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure you can stand up and 5-ft step in the same turn. Standing up might break "cannot make any other kind of movement"

Standing up isn't a type of movement, it's just eliminating a condition (Prone). Given how you're still in the same space, and never exited it, I can't really call it moving in any good faith.

Eloel
2016-03-30, 01:14 PM
Standing up isn't a type of movement, it's just eliminating a condition (Prone). Given how you're still in the same space, and never exited it, I can't really call it moving in any good faith.

It is iffy both ways. Going from lying on the floor to standing up is definitely movement in the English sense of the word. Whether we use the English definition is, imo, unclear.

Edit:

If you move no actual distance in a round—commonly
because you have swapped your move for one or more
equivalent actions, such as standing up—you can usually
take one 5-foot step before, during, or after the other actions
you’re taking.

You were right. You can stand up and 5-ft step.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-03-30, 01:19 PM
It is iffy both ways. Going from lying on the floor to standing up is definitely movement in the English sense of the word. Whether we use the English definition is, imo, unclear.
I think the 5' step rule uses a much more specific 3.5 definition of movement, otherwise any non-mental action would count as movement, and certain psionic powers might not (e.g. mental action teleport).

Edit: Okay, it was resolved by your edit already.

Eloel
2016-03-30, 01:20 PM
I think the 5' step rule uses a much more specific 3.5 definition of movement, otherwise any non-mental action would count as movement, and certain psionic powers might not (e.g. mental action teleport).

Yeah, I edited in the Rules Compendium rule I found. That is correct.

Necroticplague
2016-03-30, 01:21 PM

Actually, it's very clear: we don't. Movement is defined by the Movement rules (labelled on the SRD as 'movement'). Since we have a working game-definition, we ignore the normal one it would have. At absolutely no point is standing up from prone mentioned in the movement rules. Ergo, it is not movement. It is exactly as much movement as reloading a crossbow, pulling something out of a bag, or opening a door.

EDIT: dangit, foiled by my slow typing speed and need to look up references.

magicalmagicman
2016-03-30, 01:40 PM
I was under the impression that you couldn't 5ft step after standing up, resulting in the opponent doing 2 move actions on his turn. Ok thanks for clarification. Just add enlarge person to the mix and you can force him to double move every turn while taking AOO to the face at -4 ac.

Starkeeper
2016-03-30, 01:45 PM
I was under the impression that you couldn't 5ft step after standing up, resulting in the opponent doing 2 move actions on his turn. Ok thanks for clarification. Just add enlarge person to the mix and you can force him to double move every turn while taking AOO to the face at -4 ac.

A 5 foot step isn't a Move Action though, he could stand up, step back and still have a Standard Action to do something.