PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XV Unveiled - Who's on the Hype Train?

Seerow
2016-03-30, 11:18 PM
So I've been kinda wishy washy about FFXV. Square's offerings aside from Bravely Default for the last decade have been... lacking, to put it mildly. But some stuff from 15 has had me interested, despite departing more dramatically from FF's turn/menu based roots that I am personally fond of. But tonight I had the night off and the big conference was happening, so I decided to watch it.... and afterwards? I am very excited for it.

Surprisingly, a lot of the hype didn't come from new game information. I mean, there was a fair bit of it, but the trailers weren't too far different from what we've seen already (and if they had been I would have been worried about a major shift in design directions), but what has me really interested is all of the extra supporting material announced. Before we even get the game, we're getting a short anime AND a feature length movie to introduce us to the world and set the stage for the game to take place. Plus an app for the game's main minigame? Yes, the excitement is there.

Seriously, if you didn't watch the conference from earlier tonight, and are remotely interested in the game, go watch it. I went from on the fence to riding the hype train all the way into an Ultimate Collectors Edition. I don't expect I will regret that decision.

T.G. Oskar
2016-03-31, 12:54 AM
I, for the most part, will let this game slide as well. To say that Final Fantasy Record Keeper is more interesting to me than Final Fantasy XV should say something.

But...I'm really getting tired of the attempt to further push FF into the mainstream. I loathe Noctis in the same way I loathe Lightning and/or Mama's Boy - every single time I see him, I can't but help think of him as an "Emo Mafia prince" - all bark, but when it comes to the bite, it's worse than having none. His supporting cast doesn't inspire me support, either; I have yet to know if they desisted from the idea of "boy band/band of brothers" thing with their own car and everything.

Perhaps what really kills it for me is the control setup. It feels too much like they're trying to make a modern fantasy Western RPG, rather than the old-school JRPG from its roots. I prefer my modern fantasy RPGs to be done by Western companies - in particular, I would probably support the game if it was done by BioWare, rather than Square Enix. Or, perhaps the one other thing that really kills it is that, deep down, I know it's just FFXIII Versus reskinned, and the idea of having yet another FFXIII is something I just don't tolerate.

I hope that there's more Final Fantasy games, and that finally there's one that might interest me, but as it stands, I'm not eager to support the franchise beyond FFXII, and that's a game I haven't played because I lack(ed) the money, not because I don't like it. I absolutely refuse to play FFXIII, and most likely will do the same for FFXV.

Maybe it's just me getting old?

Comet
2016-03-31, 02:56 AM
I pretty much expect this to be the greatest videogame ever made by this point. The story and world is like mixing FF XII and a not-terrible FF VIII with The World Ends With You. The gameplay is like Kingdom Hearts minus Goofy and Donald, so basically Secret of Mana with Advent Children anime dramatics and flash. The graphics are amazing and the world is huge and the boy band we're playing as is like a Shakespearean troupe walked out of a fashion show full of trying too hard and sexual tension.

This is what we've been building up to since Final Fantasy VII. This is what's going to justify the horrible experiment in aesthetic white noise they called Fabula Nova Crystalis. This is going to be both an adorable/nonsensical high fantasy camping trip and a 50+ hour JRPG epic.

Yes, I've got the hype.

Starwulf
2016-03-31, 05:56 AM
Maybe it's just me getting old?

Nah, I honestly think the game looks awful. Barring any major changes, this may be the very first "main" entry FF ever that I don't own.

Hunter Noventa
2016-03-31, 06:57 AM
The last main FF I played was 12. 13 was by all accounts god-awful (and from the Let's Plays I've seen, that's accurate). And I find myself less htan excited about this one. Doesn't help that they're really going all in. Anime prequel series, CG Feature Film. If it doesn't do well, SE is going to crash and burn worse than after the Spirits Within.

I'm also not a fan of the more 'active' gameplay. I still love my turn-based RPG mechanics, and they keep getting harder to find.

dying0d
2016-03-31, 07:51 AM
I want to be on the hype train, but I'm just..... not really

RoyVG
2016-04-01, 02:17 AM
I played the first demo when it came packaged with Type-0, and I quite enjoyed it for what it was, I haven't played the Platinum Demo yet but will some time today, I hope. I've looked more forward to this game than to XIII when they were first announced sooo many years ago, but that died down. I still want to play it and like it, but Hypetrain... no.

Also it comes out on my birthday, so there is no reason not to get it :smallbiggrin:

Eldonauran
2016-04-01, 12:35 PM
I pretty much expect this to be the greatest videogame ever made by this point. The story and world is like mixing FF XII and a not-terrible FF VIII with The World Ends With You. The gameplay is like Kingdom Hearts minus Goofy and Donald, so basically Secret of Mana with Advent Children anime dramatics and flash.

And I'm SOLD. However, since I had lost interest in FF since XIII (XII wasn't my favorite either but XIII killed it for me), I'll wait to see a Let's Play before I fork out the money to buy the game. I'm mostly a PC gamer right now (still haven't purchased a PS4) but a really good Final Fantasy will bring me back to the Sony consoles.

danzibr
2016-04-01, 12:47 PM
Interesting. There were only a couple negative opinions. I expected more hate.

Me, I thought XIII and XIII-2 were alright. Lightning Returns was a load of fun, though.

As for XV, it's one of the 2 reasons I'm getting a PS4 (the other being the remake of VII). It looks like it'll be an incredible amount of fun. I'm not too pleased about the whole boy band sausage fest aspect of it, but I don't see how that'll have a big impact on the fun factor.

It's worth mentioning... I love me some turn-based RPG's. I grew up on them. But the most fun I had with a game recently was... probably Dragon's Dogma. Or maybe Lightning Returns.

Hunter Noventa
2016-04-01, 02:33 PM
I just heard that SE is expecting FFXV to sell 10 million copies to make a profit. They aren't making a PC Port right away if at all, and there aren't even half that many PS4s and XB1s SOLD.

It's E.T. all over again.

Seerow
2016-04-01, 02:54 PM
I just heard that SE is expecting FFXV to sell 10 million copies to make a profit. They aren't making a PC Port right away if at all, and there aren't even half that many PS4s and XB1s SOLD.

It's E.T. all over again.

A quick google search says there were 30million PS4s sold as of 4-5 months ago, and a little more than half that many xbones, for a total pool of around 45-50million current gen consoles. There's something like 10x more consoles out there than you seem to be thinking, unless you made a typo and Square is expecting to sell 100million copies of FFXV?

Eldonauran
2016-04-01, 04:50 PM
Me, I thought XIII and XIII-2 were alright. Lightning Returns was a load of fun, though.
Overall, I hated (and I don't use that word lightly) the storyline (flavor, setting, etc) of XIII and it flavored my entire outlook of the XIII franchise. I thought I'd get over it like I did with VIII (I ended up loving that game) but ... nope. Still no like. Oh, and the Paradigm system just rankled me for some reason or another.

As for XV, it's one of the 2 reasons I'm getting a PS4 (the other being the remake of VII). It looks like it'll be an incredible amount of fun. I'm not too pleased about the whole boy band sausage fest aspect of it, but I don't see how that'll have a big impact on the fun factor.
How did I forget about the VII remake!? If XV doesn't bring me to the PS4, VII Remake will.

T.G. Oskar
2016-04-01, 07:16 PM
Overall, I hated (and I don't use that word lightly) the storyline (flavor, setting, etc) of XIII and it flavored my entire outlook of the XIII franchise. I thought I'd get over it like I did with VIII (I ended up loving that game) but ... nope. Still no like. Oh, and the Paradigm system just rankled me for some reason or another.

I don't like IX for some reason, but I can tolerate it. I really like Rusty, the songs are great, Kuja is one of the greatest villains...but I finished it, and I don't plan to return to it. I can tolerate it far more than FFVII, that's for sure, but not plan to return to it.

I loathe XIII. About the only characters I could relate upon are Sazh and Fang; the former because it's the second/third colored playable character in the game (after Barret and, depending on your consideration, Kiros) and because he's a parent (and Dajh is just adorable), and Fang because she's a stronger woman in terms of personality than Lightning. I just can't stomach either Lightning, or Vanille, or Snow, or Hope, and I can't even define which of them is worse!

As for Paradigm Shift...how much did you like FFX-2? That could mean something - that's basically the Garment Grid method refluffed, since everyone can only reach only to a certain extent in their "classes" (compared to Dresspheres), and certain people were better suited to certain Paradigms than others, to the extent that only they could use some of the class abilities. Sentinel feels unimaginative; it's practical, sure, but it feels like an insult to fans of tanks/defender characters because the class lacks abilities.

How did I forget about the VII remake!? Ah, the Final Fantasy VII remake...the remake! If XV doesn't bring you to the PS4, VII Remake will.

Fix'd. Also: NEVER!!! (Brandishes neon-green Lightsaber).

I've always espoused the idea that Squeenix should make a prequel to Final Fantasy VI, detailing the mysterious War of the Magi, OR make a remake on HD that takes advantage of the better graphics while keeping the story pretty much intact. Then, I see that they decide to make FFVII an action RPG, and I start to shiver. I mean, I can tolerate FFVII, I could even launch up my PSX or PS2 and play up until the point the discs allow me, but I wouldn't call it my favorite by any means. I've seen people ultra-hyped by the HD remake, but I wasn't fazed. Then I hear it's an action RPG, and that alone made me cringe. The game that brought RPGs to the mainstream has chosen to abandon its turn-based roots and become even more mainstream by turning into an action RPG, because kids these days can't stand turn-based? (Even if Bravely Default proves them otherwise?) If I wasn't interested in the remake, now I don't. And then, that makes me think - FFV and FFVI haven't been actually remade in the same way FFIV was done, but FFVI was made at a later stage in the SNES, and was actually revolutionary by pushing the limits of the SNES hardware, as well as being almost as beloved as FFVII, so a Matrix Software remake would be a disservice...but then there's the alternative, which is making it a HD action RPG, and that just spits over the entire purpose of the game.

That, and Squeenix has a slight problem with updating combat systems from turn-based to action - need I remind you of the remake to Lufia II, ladies and gentlemen (and those in-between or outside)?

Olinser
2016-04-02, 02:15 AM
The gameplay demo that they previously released did not play very well. Graphics were great, abilities LOOKED impressive, but as with so many crappily thought out 'active' battle systems, you ended up just spamming the same couple skills mindlessly over and over because they were simply better than most of the rest.

I'm also not very enthusiastic about the fact that it was originally SUPPOSED to be Final Fantasy XIII Versus and was for the PS3.

Games that were dropped, picked back up years later and released for an entirely new system have an EXTREMELY poor track record (Type 0 was just terrible, for instance).

Basically I'm going to wait a couple weeks after release and see the general fan response before I even consider buying it.

Hunter Noventa
2016-04-03, 04:44 PM
A quick google search says there were 30million PS4s sold as of 4-5 months ago, and a little more than half that many xbones, for a total pool of around 45-50million current gen consoles. There's something like 10x more consoles out there than you seem to be thinking, unless you made a typo and Square is expecting to sell 100million copies of FFXV?

I was misinformed about the install base of the consoles. But they still expect 1/5 of all PS4s and XB1s to buy the game to turn a profit.

Mr.Moron
2016-04-05, 11:19 AM
I like everything I've seen so far about FF15. I'll definitely be picking it up. I've been interested ever since they revealed the whole "Bros on a road trip" theme and that hasn't diminished.

The fight choreography in the trailer was a bit award I'll grant, but that's a nitpick. I've only been disappointed by a few games in the series (2,5,13) and it's been a while since they've done a real "Modern" setting like this one. I think it's going to be really solid.

Hunter Noventa
2016-04-05, 12:19 PM
I'm still less than excited. After the debacle of 13 and 14 (at launch anyway, it's amazing now) I'm going to wait to hear more from other sources.

I also have enough games I haven't played yet.

danzibr
2016-04-05, 12:52 PM
I like everything I've seen so far about FF15. I'll definitely be picking it up. I've been interested ever since they revealed the whole "Bros on a road trip" theme and that hasn't diminished.

The fight choreography in the trailer was a bit award I'll grant, but that's a nitpick. I've only been disappointed by a few games in the series (2,5,13) and it's been a while since they've done a real "Modern" setting like this one. I think it's going to be really solid.
I actually liked 2 a lot. Not 3 so much. And 5 I wasn't fond of at first. 13 I thought was alright; good enough to play through, at least.

Modern setting, yeah, I'm liking that.

I'm still less than excited. After the debacle of 13 and 14 (at launch anyway, it's amazing now) I'm going to wait to hear more from other sources.

I also have enough games I haven't played yet.
You play Lightning Returns? Much more fun than either of its predecessors.

JadedDM
2016-04-05, 01:51 PM
I guess I'm cautiously optimistic. I sure as hell won't be preordering it (not that I ever do) or buying it on the day of release. I'll wait a week or two, see what the reviews and word of mouth say first.

Hunter Noventa
2016-04-05, 02:03 PM
You play Lightning Returns? Much more fun than either of its predecessors.

So I've heard. Though part of me is also sick of how they shoved Lightning in our face for years and haven't stopped.

Fri
2016-04-05, 03:45 PM
I was never interested on this, bfter seeing the latest trailer (the one with stand by me) I'm actually interested on it. Fantasy road trip is awesome.

Eldonauran
2016-04-05, 06:10 PM
I was never interested on this, bfter seeing the latest trailer (the one with stand by me) I'm actually interested on it. Fantasy road trip is awesome.
I have to admit ... I hate youtube ads but when a 2min+ add pops up with "SquareEnix" just before it lets you skip it ... I kind of have to watch it. When I realized it was FFXV, I was like .. "Yeah, I'll sit still for a second". Then 'Stand By Me' played and I was freaking sold.

I don't like IX for some reason, but I can tolerate it. I really like Rusty, the songs are great, Kuja is one of the greatest villains...but I finished it, and I don't plan to return to it. I can tolerate it far more than FFVII, that's for sure, but not plan to return to it.
I have a sort of soft spot in my heart for IX. I think it had something to do with the timing of my life when I played the game. The humor felt just right and I enjoyed the story because (unlike XIII :smallmad:) you got to save the world. I enjoyed VII as well, mostly because it was the first of the Final Fantasy games that I played. Actually, it was the second playstation game I ever played. Probably dating myself here but meh, whatever. I'm nearly 31 and I like games. My wife doesn't mind.

I loathe XIII. About the only characters I could relate upon are Sazh and Fang; the former because it's the second/third colored playable character in the game (after Barret and, depending on your consideration, Kiros) and because he's a parent (and Dajh is just adorable), and Fang because she's a stronger woman in terms of personality than Lightning. I just can't stomach either Lightning, or Vanille, or Snow, or Hope, and I can't even define which of them is worse!
Heh. I feel your hate! Let it flow through you and make you strong! Ehem ... They were all a bunch of whiny little .... Well, you know. I only managed to see the ending after I got fed up with it and watched someone else beat it.

As for Paradigm Shift...how much did you like FFX-2? That could mean something - that's basically the Garment Grid method refluffed, since everyone can only reach only to a certain extent in their "classes" (compared to Dresspheres), and certain people were better suited to certain Paradigms than others, to the extent that only they could use some of the class abilities. Sentinel feels unimaginative; it's practical, sure, but it feels like an insult to fans of tanks/defender characters because the class lacks abilities.
Actually ... I really like X-2. I just didn't like the way the Paradigm system worked out in actual gameplay. Switching to a certain class for a few moments out of necessity and then back to another to continue on with the fight? I'd rather the 'defender' actually have an ability to 'cover' the rest of the party or be able to absorb the damage, rather than interrupt the flow of the battle while everyone changes their pants. :smallwink:

Fix'd. Also: NEVER!!! (Brandishes neon-green Lightsaber).
Eh, what can I say? The heart loves what the heart loves. Might have had a crush on Aerith when I was younger. Might have been some other reason. I just liked the game. I've played the PC version with the mod to replace the in game models with the battle models, and enjoyed it. Sometimes the older games are better.

I've always espoused the idea that Squeenix should make a prequel to Final Fantasy VI, detailing the mysterious War of the Magi, OR make a remake on HD that takes advantage of the better graphics while keeping the story pretty much intact. Then, I see that they decide to make FFVII an action RPG, and I start to shiver. I mean, I can tolerate FFVII, I could even launch up my PSX or PS2 and play up until the point the discs allow me, but I wouldn't call it my favorite by any means. I've seen people ultra-hyped by the HD remake, but I wasn't fazed. Then I hear it's an action RPG, and that alone made me cringe. The game that brought RPGs to the mainstream has chosen to abandon its turn-based roots and become even more mainstream by turning into an action RPG, because kids these days can't stand turn-based? (Even if Bravely Default proves them otherwise?) If I wasn't interested in the remake, now I don't. And then, that makes me think - FFV and FFVI haven't been actually remade in the same way FFIV was done, but FFVI was made at a later stage in the SNES, and was actually revolutionary by pushing the limits of the SNES hardware, as well as being almost as beloved as FFVII, so a Matrix Software remake would be a disservice...but then there's the alternative, which is making it a HD action RPG, and that just spits over the entire purpose of the game.
I've played Crisis Core and actually enjoyed it. It was a very different game than what I was used to. But I do agree with you. V and VI need remakes.

factotum
2016-04-06, 02:55 AM
I'm precluded from boarding the hype train for a game that won't be available on my gaming platform of choice (PC), but I have to say, I never really "got" the FF games. Tried playing FF7, got about halfway through (I think I'd got as far as the gambling city whose name I forget--where you can do the chocobo racing?), got bored, gave up. Still not sure what it was about the game that affected me that way, because I usually want to finish a game once I start it.

Eldonauran
2016-04-06, 04:56 PM
I'm precluded from boarding the hype train for a game that won't be available on my gaming platform of choice (PC), but I have to say, I never really "got" the FF games. Tried playing FF7, got about halfway through (I think I'd got as far as the gambling city whose name I forget--where you can do the chocobo racing?), got bored, gave up. Still not sure what it was about the game that affected me that way, because I usually want to finish a game once I start it.

Golden Saucer, I think. Wow, that took me a minute to remember. I can definitely remember that section of the game. I felt like I had been let loose in a new land without a tether to what I was supposed to be doing. Felt a bit too open ended to me. Things didn't really get back on track for me until a few more hours of gameplay.

Grif
2016-04-07, 03:27 AM
Golden Saucer, I think. Wow, that took me a minute to remember. I can definitely remember that section of the game. I felt like I had been let loose in a new land without a tether to what I was supposed to be doing. Felt a bit too open ended to me. Things didn't really get back on track for me until a few more hours of gameplay.

If I remember correctly, it's entirely possible to miss a few optional encounters on the way there, which was kinda neat. I remember steering clear entirely of Zach's hometown (and the abandoned Mako reactor), and only discovering it when I replayed it years later.