PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Homebrew Metamagic Feat: Scaling Spell

Fii
2016-03-31, 01:32 AM
Hey Playground! What do you think of the following homebrewed metamagic feat? Is it balanced? It's kind of a non-damaging counterpart to intensified spell.

Scaling Spell:
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 5 ranks, any 1 Metamagic feat.

Any non-damaging spell may do one of the following:
Option A: Affect a number of additional targets equal to your CL/5. You must pay the component costs separately for each target.

Option B: Add CL/5 to variable effects.

Option C: You may combine the above, but the total modification may not exceed CL/5.
I.e. a level 15 Cleric casting Cure Light Wounds that targets one person and cures 1d8+5 hp could target 2 people (original+1 person) and heal 1d8+7 hp, or target 3 people (original +2 people) and heal 1d8+6 hp.

This uses a slot +1 spell level than normal.

Note: A cure spell used to heal an ally would benefit from this metamagic feat. A cure spell used to damage an undead would not.

A few people I showed this to said that Option B was underpowered, so I tried to fix this.

Scaling Spell:
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 5 ranks, any 1 Metamagic feat.

Any non-damaging spell may do one of the following:
Option A: Affect a number of additional targets equal to your CL/5. You must pay the component costs separately for each target.

Option B: If the effect already scales with level, increase the max caster level by 5. If the effect does not scale with level, add your CL/2 to it.

Option C: You may combine the above. Your Calculation Points (CP) equals your caster
level. Option A costs 5 CP per extra target affected. Option B costs 5 CP if the effect scales already, and 2 CP per added CL if it doesn’t. Therefor a level 15 Cleric could cast Cure Light Wounds on an additional 2 targets (10CP) and, since cure light wounds scales with CL but is capped at 5, increase this to 10 (5CP) to heal 1d8+10 hp to each of the 3 targets. Alternatively, a level 15 Wizard casting Summon Minor Monster could summon 1d3+7 (15/2, rounded down) bats.

This uses a slot +1 spell level than normal.
Note: A cure spell used to heal an ally would benefit from this metamagic feat. A cure spell used to damage an undead would not.