PDA

View Full Version : The Magesmith [NPC PrC]

Morty
2007-06-21, 10:16 AM
This PrC is made with Fax Celestis' Complete Commoner variant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10278). I made this because it's kinda silly that you need wizard in order to make magic weapons and armor- the foundation of fighters' existence. Also, it feels better when this +3 Flaming Goblinoidbane Greataxe was crafted by dwarven smiths for the great war with goblins, not enchanted by some bookworm.
Well, anyway:
Some blacksmiths become such masters of their craft, they can weave magic into their work. This allows them to craft magic weapons and armors without spellcasters' help.
The Magesmith
Requirements: Master(Smith) class ability, Profession(Smith) 11 ranks, Skill Focus: Profession(Smith).
Requirements without CC variant: Profession(Smith) 13 ranks, Craft(Metalwork) 5 ranks, Skill Focus: Profession(Smith)
Class Skills: Profession(Smith), Appraise, Craft (Metalwork)
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|Infuse Weapon and Armor, Mimic spells level 1-3

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+0| Mimic spells level 4-5

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|Mimic spells level 6 [/table]

Infuse Weapon and Armor: Magesmith can craft magical weapons and armor without knowing spells normally required to do so. He can substitute spells by making Profession(Smith) check with DC of 20+caster level. Crafting such item takes as much additional time as enchanting it would take. It takes normal cost in gold, but no costs in XP
Mimic Spells: Magesmiths can mimic spells with their mastery in craft. The more experienced magesmith is, the more powerful enchantments he can provide.
What's your thoughts? Overpowered? Underpowered? Did I mess anything up?

criticalstriker
2007-06-21, 10:24 AM
I like this class. Curse those power hungry wizards! Hogging all the magic:smalltongue:.

The only thing that is a little weird is the no XP cost for crafting.

Neek
2007-06-21, 11:25 AM
The problem with this is, that a Wizard can take a few level dip into this class so they're not wasting XP when crafting magical items. That can create a big problem.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-21, 11:27 AM
The problem with this is, that a Wizard can take a few level dip into this class so they're not wasting XP when crafting magical items. That can create a big problem.

Can PCs take NPC classes?

criticalstriker
2007-06-21, 11:49 AM
Can PCs take NPC classes?

I believe so. Its just not recommended, as they tend to be rather weak when compared to other classes.

Lakoda
2007-06-21, 12:08 PM

Not really, the variant the OP is using makes this senario highly unlikely as the PC would have to have to be an 8th level Smith at least. Thats a lot of time/XP to waste just to craft without XP lose.

Morty
2007-06-21, 12:25 PM

That's why I'm using Complete Commoner variant. This PrC requires NPC to first take 3 levels of Commoner and 8 levels of Smith. Besides, wizard would have to take many ranks in Profession(Smith).
I don't know if PCs can take levels in NPC prestige classes, but it's irrelevant here.

sigurd
2007-06-21, 05:27 PM
If a DM will let a pc take a class listed as only NPC he\she deserves whatever happens. Seriously, there's nothing you can do if the DM doesn't stand up and say no.

It looks like believable class. I'd add 2 levels at the top that might be race specific or some sort of mechanism that makes it easier for goblins to make goblin weapons etc, then open it up to all npc races.

Sigurd

Neek
2007-06-21, 05:35 PM
It is possible that a wizard may take this just to churn out magical items. I understand that's some lost XP, but unless they're going into the business of magical production, they might lose just the same. Is this supposed to be a PrC for commoners from the Complete Commoner then? If so, what are the prerequisites?

Sonofaspectre
2007-06-21, 06:03 PM
I like it. It does make more sense for storylines, and it certainly helps me with my low-magic campaign. I mean, if I wanted good items to be made in towns, there would be wizards then! But then it isn't low magic at all! This allows all the fun of magic items/weaponry without having to overload the world with magic-users. Sweet stuff.

I'll be using it for sure!:smallbiggrin:

Morty
2007-06-22, 09:32 AM
It is possible that a wizard may take this just to churn out magical items. I understand that's some lost XP, but unless they're going into the business of magical production, they might lose just the same.

I don't quite understand what you mean. Wizard can't take it, because he needs 8 levels of Smith PrC from Comp. Commoner variant first, which require him to take 3 levels of commoner before. And I doubt any wizard would want to waste 11 levels.

Is this supposed to be a PrC for commoners from the Complete Commoner then? If so, what are the prerequisites?

:smallconfused: Prerequisites are listed above the table. In "requirements" section.

It looks like believable class. I'd add 2 levels at the top that might be race specific or some sort of mechanism that makes it easier for goblins to make goblin weapons etc, then open it up to all npc races.

It is open for all sentinent races. I used dwarves as example, because dwarves are known as weapon crafters in most settings. The idea with racial weapons is nice, but I don't know if there are any race-specific enchantments.

Radar
2008-10-22, 10:37 AM
I would add one more thing to that class for an additional flavor: maybe each type of enchantment that the smith wants to use should be reserched beforehand as new spell have to be? Enchantments could be learned from another smith as well.

It seems logic - if you want to make something new, it takes a lot of effort and lot of problems to solve, but making another same item should go quite smooth, since you learned the trick.

This would allow different races or even different particular smiths to have different wepons and armors at their disposal (one doesn't openly reveal everyone secrets of his craft - it's bad for buisness ;-) ).

edit: i just noticed, the thread isn't quite fresh - sorry for that. Still i think, it would be a nice addition to the class.